Political discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

RCP Average Performance Update

Post by JohnStOnge »

I updated my spreadsheet on how the Real Clear Politics (RCP) Average of polling in national elections (House and President) has compared to actual results for as far back as I could find comparisons (2002 House).

The simple average error is 2.1 percentage points. The bias is towards the Democrats, but it is small (-0.7). The side favored by the polling average got more votes in 12 of 14 cases where one side had an advantage (in the 2004 House elections, the RCP average had it as a tie). In the two cases where that didn't happen, 2012 and 2016, the advantage for the "favored side" was small (0.2 and 0.6 percentage points).

The worst performance was associated with this year's House elections. The RCP average was 4.5 percentage points off on that one.

Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Re: RCP Average Performance Update

Post by mainejeff »

Trump: E - 304, P - 62,984,828
Clinton: E - 227, P - 65,853,514

Trump: E - 232, P - 74,196,153
Biden: E - 306, P - 81,255,933

So WTF is the problem here? Does Trump and his band of snowflakes not understand a LOSS?

Elections have consequences, MOFOs.
Go Black Bears!
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

mainejeff wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:47 pm 2016

So WTF is the problem here? Does Trump and his band of snowflakes not understand a LOSS?

I think Trump and some others on the Republican side have succeeded in convincing 10s of millions of Republicans that there was massive voter fraud. I shake my head at that because anybody with an ounce of grey matter SHOULD know that such was not the case and also know that Trump functions by lying all the time.

The really bad aspect of the situation is that we have Trump trying to corrupt our system and we've got a lot of Republican leaders and high profile supporters supporting him in that effort.
Could I ever be a star?

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:58 pm
mainejeff wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:47 pm 2016

I think Trump and some others on the Republican side have succeeded in convincing 10s of millions of Republicans that there was massive voter fraud. I shake my head at that because anybody with an ounce of grey matter SHOULD know that such was not the case and also know that Trump functions by lying all the time.

The really bad aspect of the situation is that we have Trump trying to corrupt our system and we've got a lot of Republican leaders and high profile supporters supporting him in that effort.
Time to let go Jon. Trump lost and Biden won. Be a good sport and be a good winner.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:02 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:58 pm

Time to let go Jon. Trump lost and Biden won. Be a good sport and be a good winner.
It is not over. Yes, I am optimistic. But we are in an historic time. We have a President who lost an election engaged in trying to subvert the representative government process in order to stay in power when The People voted against him and we have an awful lot of members of a major political party, his party, refusing to oppose what he is doing or even in some cases supporting it. It is a very bad situation.

Hopefully justice will be done and Biden will take office. But what has happened since Biden won in early November has revealed serious vulnerabilities in our system either way.

Also, I am not going to let what the Republican Party has been doing over the past five years or so go. They nominated an obviously dishonest and corrupt person. Then they protected him when the Mueller investigation showed he should have been impeached and removed from office. Then they refused to remove him from office when he was impeached for his corrupt actions with respect to the Ukraine. Now this. It is a totally corrupt Party and every effort should be made to get rid of it.
Could I ever be a star?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:20 pm I updated my spreadsheet on how the Real Clear Politics (RCP) Average of polling in national elections (House and President) has compared to actual results for as far back as I could find comparisons (2002 House).

The simple average error is 2.1 percentage points. The bias is towards the Democrats, but it is small (-0.7). The side favored by the polling average got more votes in 12 of 14 cases where one side had an advantage (in the 2004 House elections, the RCP average had it as a tie). In the two cases where that didn't happen, 2012 and 2016, the advantage for the "favored side" was small (0.2 and 0.6 percentage points).

The worst performance was associated with this year's House elections. The RCP average was 4.5 percentage points off on that one.

I stopped reading right there,....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:42 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:02 pm

It is not over. Yes, I am optimistic. But we are in an historic time. We have a President who lost an election engaged in trying to subvert the representative government process in order to stay in power when The People voted against him and we have an awful lot of members of a major political party, his party, refusing to oppose what he is doing or even in some cases supporting it. It is a very bad situation.

Hopefully justice will be done and Biden will take office. But what has happened since Biden won in early November has revealed serious vulnerabilities in our system either way.

Also, I am not going to let what the Republican Party has been doing over the past five years or so go. They nominated an obviously dishonest and corrupt person. Then they protected him when the Mueller investigation showed he should have been impeached and removed from office. Then they refused to remove him from office when he was impeached for his corrupt actions with respect to the Ukraine. Now this. It is a totally corrupt Party and every effort should be made to get rid of it.
It is comical that ANYONE can utter the statement “we have a president who lost an election engaged in trying to subvert the....process” after what Hillary and Obama did in ‘16. Every YOU aren’t THAT stupid and blind, John.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

There are currently 2 House elections won by Republicans where the Democrats are trying to overturn the results. Should they move along as well, or is that somehow different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

Was Gore still contesting results at this point in 2000? Double standard much?

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

LeadBolt wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:15 pm Was Gore still contesting results at this point in 2000? Double standard much?

1) Yes he was
2) Just because someone does something stupid doesn't mean you have to do it. The entire " Well, Republicans/Democrats did it first" argument is weak. Be an adult. Be a leader and do it better than the guy before you.

Otherwise, STFU about it.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

We should treat JSO posts like we should treat Trump starting at 12:01pm on 1/20/2021 - complete media blackout.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:29 am We should treat JSO posts like we should treat Trump starting at 12:01pm on 1/20/2021 - complete media blackout.
JSo just needs to be fivered.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:42 pm It is not over.
Jeff, I think we found your problem. It's not republicans, it's JSO.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:34 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:42 pm

It is comical that ANYONE can utter the statement “we have a president who lost an election engaged in trying to subvert the....process” after what Hillary and Obama did in ‘16. Every YOU aren’t THAT stupid and blind, John.
Are you elfin kidding me? You are supporting a dictator that wants to seize power after an election that he lost fair & square. Can you imagine yourself if this was the opposite situation with a Dem trying to seize power? You are a complete JOKE....and delusional. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

LeadBolt wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:15 pm Was Gore still contesting results at this point in 2000? Double standard much?

Gore was not an incumbent trying to seize power after a loss. Florida's election results were very questionable in many facets in 2000.....and it was THE state that decided the election.
Go Black Bears!
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:20 pm I updated my spreadsheet on how the Real Clear Politics (RCP) Average of polling in national elections (House and President) has compared to actual results for as far back as I could find comparisons (2002 House).

mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:28 am

1) Yes he was
2) Just because someone does something stupid doesn't mean you have to do it. The entire " Well, Republicans/Democrats did it first" argument is weak. Be an adult. Be a leader and do it better than the guy before you.

Otherwise, STFU about it.
Situations are different as well. We are talking THE state that determined the election.....hanging chads....etc, etc.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/12/66681285 ... n-haunting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Unit ... in_Florida

Bush - 2,912,790
Gore - 2,912,253

You MOFOs are REALLY trying to compare the 2000 situation with today's situation??? Jeezus Christ. :tothehand:
Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:15 am

When Trump does....we will. When Republican leadership stops empowering this MOFO....we will let it go. :nod:
Go Black Bears!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

mainejeff wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:18 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:15 am

When Trump does....we will. When Republican leadership stops empowering this MOFO....we will let it go. :nod:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: