AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: The Republican Base

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:43 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:24 am

So in other words, they don't want to increase the number of Republican women in Congress, only the number who are lockstep with them ideologically....that's no better than leftist women claiming to be all about womens' rights, but only those who are lefties.
And no better than the MAGAts that go after Republicans that don't support Lil' Donnie RINOs and chase them out of leadership positions, the party and/or Congress.

MAGAts don't like getting a taste of their own medicine.
Nope. I agree. The hypocrisy is strong inside the beltway.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:57 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:43 am
And no better than the MAGAts that go after Republicans that don't support Lil' Donnie RINOs and chase them out of leadership positions, the party and/or Congress.

MAGAts don't like getting a taste of their own medicine.
It's worse inside the beltway but it's not just there. The are progressive groups trying to primary sitting Democrats and MAGAt groups trying to do the same thing to Republicans who didn't do enough to support Lil' Donnie. They're a bunch of selfish crybabies who are willing to burn it all down because they aren't getting their way.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:45 pm

It's worse inside the beltway but it's not just there. The are progressive groups trying to primary sitting Democrats and MAGAt groups trying to do the same thing to Republicans who didn't do enough to support Lil' Donnie. They're a bunch of selfish crybabies who are willing to burn it all down because they aren't getting their way.
agree with that too.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Call me crazy but I base primary votes on who I think is the best candidate for my values...regardless of whether they’re an incumbent or not. Not sure why that’s selfish.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:36 pm
Call me crazy but I base primary votes on who I think is the best candidate for my values...regardless of whether they’re an incumbent or not. Not sure why that’s selfish.
What would you call it if the extremists primary more centrist incumbents because they don't pass a purity test and then the extremist replacement candidate (MAGAt or pseudo-progressive) loses in the general election? What if the Dems lost control of the House because of this or the Reps lose a couple of Senate seats making Manchin and Sinema irrelevant?
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

I disagree. If someone wants to primary an incumbent, have at it. Let the incumbents defend their positions and, if they choose, inveigh against the motives/maturity/political ideology of their challengers. Let the electorate hear all the candidates and then decide. Absent term limits, what else do we have to throw the bums out but death and primaries? 88 sounds like an advocate of entrenching the duopoly here.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Sounds like you are pro incumbency as opposed to throw the bums out.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:53 pm

I disagree. If someone wants to primary an incumbent, have at it. Let the incumbents defend their positions and, if they choose, inveigh against the motives/maturity/political ideology of their challengers. Let the electorate hear all the candidates and then decide. Absent term limits, what else do we have to throw the bums out but death and primaries? 88 sounds like an advocate of entrenching the duopoly here.
Exactly. Nothing wrong with voting for a challenger in a primary.

Like I’ve said multiple times on here, I won’t vote for anyone in the House or Senate, no matter how conkish, who’s been in office more than 6 years (I’ll vote for a senator for re election once). After that, its time for them to get out of DC..
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:51 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:36 pm

What would you call it if the extremists primary more centrist incumbents because they don't pass a purity test and then the extremist replacement candidate (MAGAt or pseudo-progressive) loses in the general election? What if the Dems lost control of the House because of this or the Reps lose a couple of Senate seats making Manchin and Sinema irrelevant?
I’d call it politics.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:20 pm

Exactly. Nothing wrong with voting for a challenger in a primary.

Like I’ve said multiple times on here, I won’t vote for anyone in the House or Senate, no matter how conkish, who’s been in office more than 6 years (I’ll vote for a senator for re election once). After that, its time for them to get out of DC..
:nod:

Many elections are won and lost in the primary. Positive changes and decentralization of power are often killed in the primaries.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

I've been a small l libertarian for a long time so I understand going against the grain and voting for what you believe in. I'm posting about people who are leaders in their party who would support a primary challenger even if that challenger would have less of a chance of winning the general election than the incumbent. They either don't understand that voters in West Virginia are different from voters in NYC or they think the neanderthals will see the light once they've been shown the righteous path.

Purity/loyalty is more important than legislating, leading and actually accomplishing something.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:46 pm

I've been a small l libertarian for a long time so I understand going against the grain and voting for what you believe in. I'm posting about people who are leaders in their party who would support a primary challenger even if that challenger would have less of a chance of winning the general election than the incumbent. They either don't understand that voters in West Virginia are different from voters in NYC or they think the neanderthals will see the light once they've been shown the righteous path.

Purity/loyalty is more important than legislating, leading and actually accomplishing something.
Exactly. These “purity” tests are going to cause even more of a divide than we already have.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:28 pm

Exactly. These “purity” tests are going to cause even more of a divide than we already have.
We can’t get to much more of a divide absent a civil war..
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Agree. I mean this is the point of a primary, right?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:30 am

We can’t get to much more of a divide absent a civil war..
Agree, that’s why i think they’re bullshit. Politics has always been and SHOULD be a “spectrum”, not two pure ends with nobody in the middle. The party purity tests are leading this country in a dangerous direction.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:29 am

Exactly the point. Bernie was a prime example in '16 by exposing a lot of cracks in what the Democrats thought was a solid foundation for a shoe-in election
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

I've been saying that for 4 damn years!! I'm glad you people are finally waking up to this.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

I read 88s post different. I didn't read it as 88 being anti-primary. Just a note on petty, extremists primarying people b/c they aren't passing the MAGA/Ulta-Progressive-tards purity test. But I can see how his post comes off as anti-primary (although, I don't believe that is his position.)

I'm all for a primary - incumbents should have to defend themselves. The problem is on the electorate who are either too lazy or too unwilling to give someone a better chance in office. Or they're too stuck in their ways and will always vote R or D b/c that's how they've always voted. I've had family members, hardcore MAGA, tell me they'd vote for a pro-choice Republican over a pro-life Democrat b/c they could never Democrat.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:28 am

I read 88s post different. I didn't read it as 88 being anti-primary. Just a note on petty, extremists primarying people b/c they aren't passing the MAGA/Ulta-Progressive-tards purity test. But I can see how his post comes off as anti-primary (although, I don't believe that is his position.)

I'm all for a primary - incumbents should have to defend themselves. The problem is on the electorate who are either too lazy or too unwilling to give someone a better chance in office. Or they're too stuck in their ways and will always vote R or D b/c that's how they've always voted. I've had family members, hardcore MAGA, tell me they'd vote for a pro-choice Republican over a pro-life Democrat b/c they could never Democrat.
One man’s extremist is another man’s freedom fighter. When the constituency is monied interests and those with political access, the “centrists” can also become a road block to positive change.

:coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:04 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:28 am

One man’s extremist is another man’s freedom fighter. When the constituency is monied interests and those with political access, the “centrists” can also become a road block to positive change.

Yes, they can. On the flip side, the extremists can also become a roadblock to respect, communication, and effective government.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:09 am
kalm wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:04 am

Yes, they can. On the flip side, the extremists can also become a roadblock to respect, communication, and effective government.
Agreed.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:35 pm
SDHornet wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:29 am

Exactly the point. Bernie was a prime example in '16 by exposing a lot of cracks in what the Democrats thought was a solid foundation for a shoe-in election
Bernie was the test run on how to rig the election. The DNC learned it can work.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:22 am

Bernie was the test run on how to rig the election. The DNC learned it can work.

Still butthurt about those 7,000,000 votes? :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:28 pm

Still butthurt about those 7,000,000 votes? :coffee:
The fake ones?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

And the Republicans are now running with it.