kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: The Republican Base

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:31 am
SDHornet wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:01 pm Interesting twitter thread on the how the different President's did/where their party stood when leaving office:

That's the one thing about all of this talk about the GOP party falling apart and the Dems moving towards the inevitable one party, decades-long nirvana that JSO keeps talking about. For all of the GOP's failings, which are many, it was a close Presidential election, they only just barely lost the Senate, and even then it's a 50/50 Senate with enough vulnerable Dem Senators that there likely won't be single party, significant changes getting through, the GOP made the House the slimmest majority since I think WWII, and the GOP made gains at the state level when they already had historically strong positions at the state level. I've always said that we're a political duopoly no matter what the partisans on both sides like JSO would like to say. No reason to say that's changing anytime soon.
How much clamor is out there for one party rule? Perhaps part of the reason for a close election was ONLY two parties.

A healthy and reasonable GOP is a positive counter balance to the unintended consequences and slippery slope of leftist policies. For this reason, I want 3 or 4 viable parties.

Are you suggesting the large number of only Trumpers/only Trumpismers will quickly forgive Pence, McConnell, etc and never-Trumpers or that the sane conservatives will build a coalition to bring the far right back into the fold?
Last edited by kalm on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:12 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:31 am

That's the one thing about all of this talk about the GOP party falling apart and the Dems moving towards the inevitable one party, decades-long nirvana that JSO keeps talking about. For all of the GOP's failings, which are many, it was a close Presidential election, they only just barely lost the Senate, and even then it's a 50/50 Senate with enough vulnerable Dem Senators that there likely won't be single party, significant changes getting through, the GOP made the House the slimmest majority since I think WWII, and the GOP made gains at the state level when they already had historically strong positions at the state level. I've always said that we're a political duopoly no matter what the partisans on both sides like JSO would like to say. No reason to say that's changing anytime soon.
How much clamor is out there for one party rule? Perhaps part of the reason for a close election was ONLY two parties.

A healthy and reasonable GOP is a positive counter balance to the unintended consequences and slippery slope of leftist policies. For this reason, I want 3 or 4 viable parties.

Are you suggesting the large number of only Trumpers/only Trumpismers will quickly forgive Pence, McConnell, etc and never-Trumpers or that the sane conservatives will build a coalition to bring the far right back into the fold?

At what point do the hard
I'm just suggesting that we have always had largely just two major parties where power/control of government oscillates back and forth over time, and we will continue to have just two major parties that will continue to see power ebb and flow. The structure of our government reinforces this. We will not ever have 3 or 4 viable parties, other than a momentary splinter group that doesn't last more than an election cycle.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:30 am
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:12 am

At what point do the hard
I'm just suggesting that we have always had largely just two major parties where power/control of government oscillates back and forth over time, and we will continue to have just two major parties that will continue to see power ebb and flow. The structure of our government reinforces this. We will not ever have 3 or 4 viable parties, other than a momentary splinter group that doesn't last more than an election cycle.
If that’s the case, get ready for Democratic dominance with corporatism as its ally. The cold civil war is already shifting to internecine conflict within the GOP.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:48 am
Very interesting and unexpected but not shocking if you think about it.

Does BDK know this?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:30 am

If that’s the case, get ready for Democratic dominance with corporatism as its ally. The cold civil war is already shifting to internecine conflict within the GOP.
Okay JSO. :rofl:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 am
SDHornet wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:48 am

Does BDK know this?
I've said from the very beginning, if we had Trump's policies, without TRUMP and his tweets, he'd have gone down as one of the great ones.

Alas, the only thing to be remembered will be his tweets. And because shit gets done by EO now, Biden will unwind some of his best work on day one (pipeline, Paris Accord, Iran Nuke scam, etc).
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:35 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 am

Does BDK know this?
I've said from the very beginning, if we had Trump's policies, without TRUMP and his tweets, he'd have gone down as one of the great ones.

Alas, the only thing to be remembered will be his tweets. And because shit gets done by EO now, Biden will unwind some of his best work on day one (pipeline, Paris Accord, Iran Nuke scam, etc).
I agree.

Our resident Kalmunist would counter that Mussolini got the trains to run on time.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:40 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:35 pm

I agree.

Our resident Kalmunist would counter that Mussolini got the trains to run on time.
Ferdinand Porsche built the schwimmwagon which was pretty neat.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:30 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 am

Ok, BDK. :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:08 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:30 pm

False equivalency. I call out BDK on his Trumpism and looking the other way on White nationalism. You fawn over JSO and call him rational. Heck, you're probably pro-NAMBLA these days and think drunk driving laws are a form of insidious government overreach. Heck, you probably even believe that trope that Louisiana blue crabs are superior to the Chesapeake ones. Please. :tothehand:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:35 pm

False equivalency. I call out BDK on his Trumpism and looking the other way on White nationalism. You fawn over JSO and call him rational. Heck, you're probably pro-NAMBLA these days and think drunk driving laws are a form of insidious government overreach. Heck, you probably even believe that trope that Louisiana blue crabs are superior to the Chesapeake ones. Please. :tothehand:
I’ve called out JSO a gazillion times. He’s right on this. Therefore you are 100 % on board with BDK? Is like to think it wise to take each is issue on its merits rather than who may be siding with you.

You have nothing except a cherry picked view of history or perhaps a narrow view of it with little regard for what happens during crisis periods coupled with recent history and what’s currently happening on the ground.

:rule:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:21 pm

I’ve called out JSO a gazillion times. He’s right on this. Therefore you are 100 % on board with BDK? Is like to think it wise to take each is issue on its merits rather than who may be siding with you.

You have nothing except a cherry picked view of history or perhaps a narrow view of it with little regard for what happens during crisis periods coupled with recent history and what’s currently happening on the ground.

What's cherry picked? I used all of the 232 years of US history since the Constitution to show that there has always been a duopoly. How is it cherry picking to use all of the data? Do you know what cherry picking is? What the heck is going on out there in the Palouse? :rofl:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Have you called JSO out for his bias and lack of objectivity when discussing Trump? He hates Trump and that hatred colors everything he reads and posts. He is unable to acknowledge Trump's accomplishments and ignores or dismisses anyone that disagrees with him. His Junior High Science Fair prize makes him more knowledgeable about the economy than people who actually run businesses and deal with economic issues every day. It's the equivalent of my 5th grade flag football trophy making me more knowledgeable about the ecology of the bayou than he is. :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Where I am looking the other way on white nationalism?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:30 pm Okay JSO. :rofl:
GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:35 pm False equivalency. I call out BDK on his Trumpism and looking the other way on White nationalism. You fawn over JSO and call him rational. Heck, you're probably pro-NAMBLA these days and think drunk driving laws are a form of insidious government overreach. Heck, you probably even believe that trope that Louisiana blue crabs are superior to the Chesapeake ones. Please. :tothehand:

You need to quit your obsession with me..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:30 pm

What's cherry picked? I used all of the 232 years of US history since the Constitution to show that there has always been a duopoly. How is it cherry picking to use all of the data? Do you know what cherry picking is? What the heck is going on out there in the Palouse? :rofl:
You’ve shown that 3rd parties have some serious hurdles and that history can be a horizontal appearing line for long periods. But overall, history is neither linear or an absolute predictor. In addition, Roosevelt split the Republican vote in 1912 running as a progressive and actually winning more votes than Taft.

Longevity is the obvious big problem with other parties. But change can still occur...even sudden change...especially during a crisis period. Hard to imagine MAGA acquiescing to a more moderate Republican party. However recent congressional support for Trump suggests moderate politicians might be willing to embrace Trumpism again once the dust has settled. But that won’t sit well for many moderate voters nor does it align with changing demographics (as my new BFF, JSO points out).

Welcome to 2021!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:37 pm

Have you called JSO out for his bias and lack of objectivity when discussing Trump? He hates Trump and that hatred colors everything he reads and posts. He is unable to acknowledge Trump's accomplishments and ignores or dismisses anyone that disagrees with him. His Junior High Science Fair prize makes him more knowledgeable about the economy than people who actually run businesses and deal with economic issues every day. It's the equivalent of my 5th grade flag football trophy making me more knowledgeable about the ecology of the bayou than he is. :coffee:
Don’t need to. Plenty of JSO piling on. Besides, his objectivity is typically well founded considering his ideology and facts and reason based thinking on this issue. I’ve always liked his posts even when I strongly disagree, as they challenge my own thinking.

And I’ll tell you who often struggles with nationwide economics ...business managers and big banks. They’re good within their own specialized environments.

See 2007.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:38 pm

Sorry, you were the best example I could think of for Ganny. :mrgreen:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:37 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:38 pm
Nah, BDK and Jelly are the mirror images.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:36 pm
Don’t need to. Plenty of JSO piling on. Besides, his objectivity is typically well founded considering his ideology and facts and reason based thinking on this issue. I’ve always liked his posts even when I strongly disagree, as they challenge my own thinking.

And I’ll tell you who often struggles with nationwide economics ...business managers and big banks. They’re good within their own specialized environments.

See 2007.
Please let me know when JSO posts something new and interesting on the poly board. It's been more than 4 years and I'm tired of watching him beat that poor dead horse.

Franklin Raines and the desire to encourage everyone to own a home whether they could afford or manage it or not had just as much to do with 2007 as big banks. 2007 shows that big government is not good at solving problems.

And I can't wait for you to defend me when I tell JSO that he is absolutely wrong about something having to do with fishing the bayou or similar. :coffee:
Last edited by UNI88 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

See 2007.
Lol. That might be the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:38 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:37 pm

Nah, BDK and Jelly are the mirror images.
Yeah ok. :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:38 pm

See 2007.
Lol. That might be the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
What am I comparing?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:42 pm

See 2007.
Please let me know when JSO posts something new and interesting on the poly board. It's been more than 4 years and I'm tired of watching him beat that poor dead horse.

Franklin Raines and the desire to encourage everyone to own a home whether they could afford or manage it or not had just as much to do with 2007 as big banks. 2007 shows that big government is not good at solving problems.

And I can't wait for you to defend me when I tell JSO that he is absolutely wrong about something having to do with fishing the bayou or similar. :coffee:
Many causes of the Great Recession. Not one banker had tge infkuence to stop it and no one saw it coming. :)

JSO is obsessed with Trump...as are most Americans one way or another. JSO also happened to be right about Trump.