UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: The Republican Base

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:47 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:42 pm
Please let me know when JSO posts something new and interesting on the poly board. It's been more than 4 years and I'm tired of watching him beat that poor dead horse.

Franklin Raines and the desire to encourage everyone to own a home whether they could afford or manage it or not had just as much to do with 2007 as big banks. 2007 shows that big government is not good at solving problems.

And I can't wait for you to defend me when I tell JSO that he is absolutely wrong about something having to do with fishing the bayou or similar. :coffee:
Many causes of the Great Recession. Not one banker had tge infkuence to stop it and no one saw it coming. :)

JSO is obsessed with Trump...as are most Americans one way or another. JSO also happened to be right about Trump.
I was right about Trump. AZ was right about Trump. A lot of people have been right about Trump. JSO was right about the negative things Trump was responsible for but was and is unable to acknowledge the postives. Trump's presidency was a mixed-bag, not the complete failure that JSO thinks it was.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:02 am
kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:47 am

Many causes of the Great Recession. Not one banker had tge infkuence to stop it and no one saw it coming. :)

JSO is obsessed with Trump...as are most Americans one way or another. JSO also happened to be right about Trump.
I was right about Trump. AZ was right about Trump. A lot of people have been right about Trump. JSO was right about the negative things Trump was responsible for but was and is unable to acknowledge the postives. Trump's presidency was a mixed-bag, not the complete failure that JSO thinks it was.
You’re a centrist. You don’t have to join the Trump Legacy Project. There are plenty of volunteers.

:ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Patriot Party...who doesn’t want to join?

:lol:
resident Trump has talked in recent days with associates about forming a new political party, according to people familiar with the matter, an effort to exert continued influence after he leaves the White House.

Mr. Trump discussed the matter with several aides and other people close to him last week, the people said. The president said he would want to call the new party the “Patriot Party,” the people said.

Mr. Trump has feuded in recent days with several Republican leaders including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.), who on Tuesday said Mr. Trump deserved blame for provoking the deadly Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol. Polls show Mr. Trump retains strong support among rank-and-file GOP voters.
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/trump- ... ocBvw8dK7E
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Riot Party, imo
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:48 am Riot Party, imo
Yeah, they should vet that name, that seems too easy. And I can't imagine that Trump would go with something that doesn't have his name in it.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:48 am White Riot Party, imo
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:48 am Riot Party, imo
Nope. More like mild protest party going by the AP & Reuters definition of a protest, who's guidelines this past summer prohibited their reporters from using the term "riot" for any ANTIFA/BLM protests.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:16 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:02 am
You’re a centrist. You don’t have to join the Trump Legacy Project. There are plenty of volunteers.

I'm trying honestly evaluate Trump's legacy. Fortunately I'm not the only one.
Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:19 am Also - I hope the unemployment figures of the Trump years don’t get lost in the static of his legacy. Serious gains were made there. We should be thankful for that. And that we had no wars. That’s a huge plus!
Do you think JSO could give Trump any credit for the unemployment rate or no wars?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:29 am
kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:16 am

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:19 am Also - I hope the unemployment figures of the Trump years don’t get lost in the static of his legacy. Serious gains were made there. We should be thankful for that. And that we had no wars. That’s a huge plus!
Do you think JSO could give Trump any credit for the unemployment rate or no wars?
Don’t know. Do you give Bernie credit for voting against the Iraq war?

How about the upcoming new green jobs AOC will have created?

:mrgreen:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:43 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:29 am

Yes, Bernie should get credit for that.

AOC's new green jobs are kind of like the trickle down effect of Trump's tax cuts. I'll believe it when I see it. :mrgreen:

And the answer is no - JSO would not give Trump credit for not getting the US involved in another conflict or for the unemployment rate. He would jump through hoops and twist himself into illogical pretzels to manufacture reasons that Trump doesn't deserve credit.

As I said, Trump's legacy was a mixed bag. In that respect it's kind of like Obama's.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:49 am
kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:43 am

AOC's new green jobs are kind of like the trickle down effect of Trump's tax cuts. I'll believe it when I see it. :mrgreen:

And the answer is no - JSO would not give Trump credit for not getting the US involved in another conflict or for the unemployment rate. He would jump through hoops and twist himself into illogical pretzels to manufacture reasons that Trump doesn't deserve credit.

As I said, Trump's legacy was a mixed bag. In that respect it's kind of like Obama's.
Ignores Covid response and vaccine logistics.

I remember getting told on these very boards that economic success comes from the policies of previous generations. (Along with debt crises and bubbles.)

Same can be said for war. The Taliban rose in the power vacuum created by the Reagan administration.

Nazi Germany wasn’t created by FDR but the treaty of Versailles.

Do you know the story of the zen master and the little boy?

And FWIW, this is my attitude towards Biden. :nod:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:56 am

I remember getting told on these very boards that economic success comes from the policies of previous generations. (Along with debt crises and bubbles.)

Same can be said for war. The Taliban rose in the power vacuum created by the Reagan administration.

Holy Historical Revisionism, Batman! Now Reagan is deemed responsible for the rise of the Taliban? What mental gymnastics and contortion did you go through to come to that conclusion?

If you need a historical lesson, look up the "Great Game" and the empire meddling that the UK and Russia (Czarist Russia) did for a good century, with a main result of it being repeated tinkering in and undermining of Afghanistan politics. And then you can read up on the Afghans having their own civil war begin in the late 1970's, mainly a result of the communist party (wink wink Soviet Union) assassinating the leader of Afghanistan and seizing power to bring the joys and blessings of communism to the Afghan people (who strangely, hadn't asked for that and fought back as a result). Oh, and then the Soviet Union invaded. We (under the Carter administration), and others (Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc) then got involved as a regional and Cold War power play. All of this happened at least a year before Reagan was even in office. Sure, Reagan played his part by continuing the support of the anti-communist forces in Afghanistan, but I'm pretty sure he had nothing to do with setting up fundamentalist Islamic schools in Pakistan to educate the thousands of Afghan refugees in the finer points of strict Islamic law and then unleashing them back into Afghanistan in the hopes of providing a buffer state between Pakistan and the Soviet Union. But by all means, continue with your simplistic, albeit misdirected, retelling of history. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:37 am

Holy Historical Revisionism, Batman! Now Reagan is deemed responsible for the rise of the Taliban? What mental gymnastics and contortion did you go through to come to that conclusion?

If you need a historical lesson, look up the "Great Game" and the empire meddling that the UK and Russia (Czarist Russia) did for a good century, with a main result of it being repeated tinkering in and undermining of Afghanistan politics. And then you can read up on the Afghans having their own civil war begin in the late 1970's, mainly a result of the communist party (wink wink Soviet Union) assassinating the leader of Afghanistan and seizing power to bring the joys and blessings of communism to the Afghan people (who strangely, hadn't asked for that and fought back as a result). Oh, and then the Soviet Union invaded. We (under the Carter administration), and others (Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc) then got involved as a regional and Cold War power play. All of this happened at least a year before Reagan was even in office. Sure, Reagan played his part by continuing the support of the anti-communist forces in Afghanistan, but I'm pretty sure he had nothing to do with setting up fundamentalist Islamic schools in Pakistan to educate the thousands of Afghan refugees in the finer points of strict Islamic law and then unleashing them back into Afghanistan in the hopes of providing a buffer state between Pakistan and the Soviet Union. But by all means, continue with your simplistic, albeit misdirected, retelling of history. :coffee:
GAME
SET
MATCH :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Regardless, my point still holds

Power vacuum? :check:

Reagan? :check:

And yes, Charlie Wilson was a Democrat.

And yes, you’re missing my underlying point which is it’s silly to hang short term successes and failures all on a president who left office this morning.

But thanks for the sermon, Professor.

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:01 pm Regardless, my point still holds
You should just put that in your signature so it's on every post you make. :dope:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

To summarize your post/thought process - Democrats get credit for good things they do and can blame bad things on previous Republican administrations while Republicans don't get credit for good things they do and and can't blame bad things on previous Democratic administrations.

A mixed bag means there was good and bad. Good for Trump includes but is not limited to no new conflicts, low unemployment, the speed of the development of a vaccine and more. Bad includes COVID response and more. His presidency and this country was rolling along quite well despite his many faults until COVID hit.

This might be too nuanced for you but the policies of previous administrations (not generations) does have a lot to do with economic success but they are also impacted by the current administration.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that Nazi Germany was created by Woodrow Wilson and the treaty of Versailles? Or does he get a pass because he was a Democrat?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:19 pm

To summarize your post/thought process - Democrats get credit for good things they do and can blame bad things on previous Republican administrations while Republicans don't get credit for good things they do and and can't blame bad things on previous Democratic administrations.

A mixed bag means there was good and bad. Good for Trump includes but is not limited to no new conflicts, low unemployment, the speed of the development of a vaccine and more. Bad includes COVID response and more. His presidency and this country was rolling along quite well despite his many faults until COVID hit.

This might be too nuanced for you but the policies of previous administrations (not generations) does have a lot to do with economic success but they are also impacted by the current administration.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that Nazi Germany was created by Woodrow Wilson and the treaty of Versailles? Or does he get a pass because he was a Democrat?
Jiminy Crickets!

Nothing I said disagrees with this post and I knowingly used the Treaty of Versailles because of Wilson.

There should be an asterisk by most presidential “accomplishments” and “failures”...from both parties. :mrgreen:

But I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict history books won’t be referring to the Trump administration as a “mixed bag”.

Except maybe the ones found in his $2 billion presidential library.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:01 pm

And yes, you’re missing my underlying point which is it’s silly to hang short term successes and failures all on a president who left office this morning.

So it's basically, "thanks, I didn't know all of that and yes, it completely pokes a gaping hole in my argument that I have no retort for other than regardless, my point still holds". Holds what exactly, certainly not water. :rofl:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:06 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:19 pm

Jiminy Crickets!

Nothing I said disagrees with this post and I knowingly used the Treaty of Versailles because of Wilson.

There should be an asterisk by most presidential “accomplishments” and “failures”...from both parties. :mrgreen:

But I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict history books won’t be referring to the Trump administration as a “mixed bag”.

What history books say about Trump will depend on who writes the books. History as written by the Romans didn't say good things about the Celts and the druids either. Doesn't mean that there weren't positive aspects to their culture and religion.

The left has already started to rewrite history to not just correct inaccuracies but to change the narrative to fit their agenda regardless of the truth.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:06 pm But I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict history books won’t be referring to the Trump administration as a “mixed bag”.
Most are written by liberals, so yeah.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:37 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:21 pm

I’ve called out JSO a gazillion times. He’s right on this. Therefore you are 100 % on board with BDK? Is like to think it wise to take each is issue on its merits rather than who may be siding with you.

You have nothing except a cherry picked view of history or perhaps a narrow view of it with little regard for what happens during crisis periods coupled with recent history and what’s currently happening on the ground.

:rule:
Have you called JSO out for his bias and lack of objectivity when discussing Trump? He hates Trump and that hatred colors everything he reads and posts. He is unable to acknowledge Trump's accomplishments and ignores or dismisses anyone that disagrees with him. His Junior High Science Fair prize makes him more knowledgeable about the economy than people who actually run businesses and deal with economic issues every day. It's the equivalent of my 5th grade flag football trophy making me more knowledgeable about the ecology of the bayou than he is. :coffee:
Speaking of JSO, has he commented on the implosion of the Lincoln Project? One founder get popped for trading jobs for sex with dudes, other founders knew about those predatory practices and did nothing, and top it off with the group as a whole grifting $10M of its donations and distributing it amongst themselves. Hell of a group to represent "true and moral" Republicans. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:28 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:30 pm

What's cherry picked? I used all of the 232 years of US history since the Constitution to show that there has always been a duopoly. How is it cherry picking to use all of the data? Do you know what cherry picking is? What the heck is going on out there in the Palouse? :rofl:
You’ve shown that 3rd parties have some serious hurdles and that history can be a horizontal appearing line for long periods. But overall, history is neither linear or an absolute predictor. In addition, Roosevelt split the Republican vote in 1912 running as a progressive and actually winning more votes than Taft.

Longevity is the obvious big problem with other parties. But change can still occur...even sudden change...especially during a crisis period. Hard to imagine MAGA acquiescing to a more moderate Republican party. However recent congressional support for Trump suggests moderate politicians might be willing to embrace Trumpism again once the dust has settled. But that won’t sit well for many moderate voters nor does it align with changing demographics (as my new BFF, JSO points out).

Welcome to 2021!
"Trumpism" (if that's what we want to call it) pulled the largest voter tally from Team Brown and black among any other Presidential Republican candidates. How exactly does that not "align with changing demographics"?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:25 am Patriot Party...who doesn’t want to join?

resident Trump has talked in recent days with associates about forming a new political party, according to people familiar with the matter, an effort to exert continued influence after he leaves the White House.

Mr. Trump discussed the matter with several aides and other people close to him last week, the people said. The president said he would want to call the new party the “Patriot Party,” the people said.

Mr. Trump has feuded in recent days with several Republican leaders including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.), who on Tuesday said Mr. Trump deserved blame for provoking the deadly Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol. Polls show Mr. Trump retains strong support among rank-and-file GOP voters.
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/trump- ... ocBvw8dK7E
A 3rd party is a stupid idea. Start a super pac dedicated to primarying establishment conks is the way to go.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:41 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:01 pm

So it's basically, "thanks, I didn't know all of that and yes, it completely pokes a gaping hole in my argument that I have no retort for other than regardless, my point still holds". Holds what exactly, certainly not water. :rofl:
What gaping hole? Policies of previous administrations effect outcomes for future administrations.

We armed the resistance, leading to the Soviet Union’s withdrawal. Then we left. I will admit to not remembering the exact timing and overlap with the Bush administration which pivoted to the Gulf War.

Here’s a Heritage piece from 1989 on the power vacuum created by the Soviets withdrawal and our (and really the entire world’s) decision to prevent the Newly formed Taliban from taking control.

https://www.heritage.org/middle-east/re ... ng-endgame

But please...Brad...show us more of your big brain with history that doesn’t change what I was laying down.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:48 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:06 pm

Jiminy Crickets!

What history books say about Trump will depend on who writes the books. History as written by the Romans didn't say good things about the Celts and the druids either. Doesn't mean that there weren't positive aspects to their culture and religion.

The left has already started to rewrite history to not just correct inaccuracies but to change the narrative to fit their agenda regardless of the truth.
Will there be a significant amount of ball spiking and over-reach? Legit concern and highly predictable.

Does Nixon deserve credit for some policy successes? Of course! Are they overshadowed by Watergate? Yep. But meh...mixed bag. :lol:

Looking back at our economic history in my 50 years here, I would no more immediately credit Trump for economic success than I would blame him for leaving office with negative job numbers.