Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: The Republican Base

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:21 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:28 pm

You’ve shown that 3rd parties have some serious hurdles and that history can be a horizontal appearing line for long periods. But overall, history is neither linear or an absolute predictor. In addition, Roosevelt split the Republican vote in 1912 running as a progressive and actually winning more votes than Taft.

Longevity is the obvious big problem with other parties. But change can still occur...even sudden change...especially during a crisis period. Hard to imagine MAGA acquiescing to a more moderate Republican party. However recent congressional support for Trump suggests moderate politicians might be willing to embrace Trumpism again once the dust has settled. But that won’t sit well for many moderate voters nor does it align with changing demographics (as my new BFF, JSO points out).

Welcome to 2021!
"Trumpism" (if that's what we want to call it) pulled the largest voter tally from Team Brown and black among any other Presidential Republican candidates. How exactly does that not "align with changing demographics"?
Recognized.

Demographics refers to more than just race ya racists! :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:39 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:06 pm But I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict history books won’t be referring to the Trump administration as a “mixed bag”.
Most are written by liberals, so yeah.
Darn edumacated libtards with all their readin’, writin’ interest in history, and stuff!

:ohno:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:33 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:48 pm
What history books say about Trump will depend on who writes the books. History as written by the Romans didn't say good things about the Celts and the druids either. Doesn't mean that there weren't positive aspects to their culture and religion.

The left has already started to rewrite history to not just correct inaccuracies but to change the narrative to fit their agenda regardless of the truth.
Will there be a significant amount of ball spiking and over-reach? Legit concern and highly predictable.

Does Nixon deserve credit for some policy successes? Of course! Are they overshadowed by Watergate? Yep. But meh...mixed bag. :lol:

Looking back at our economic history in my 50 years here, I would no more immediately credit Trump for economic success than I would blame him for leaving office with negative job numbers.
One of Nixon's signature successes was China which in hindsight has not turned out so well. Standing up to China is a major positive for Trump's administration IMO. Like standing up to China, Trump's successes weren't just economic. As AZ has suggested, remove the Twitter-happy sociopathic narcissist element (and the inept handling of the pandemic) and he would have been an extremely popular president.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:36 am
SDHornet wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:21 pm
"Trumpism" (if that's what we want to call it) pulled the largest voter tally from Team Brown and black among any other Presidential Republican candidates. How exactly does that not "align with changing demographics"?
Recognized.

So does diversity.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:41 am
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:33 am

Will there be a significant amount of ball spiking and over-reach? Legit concern and highly predictable.

Does Nixon deserve credit for some policy successes? Of course! Are they overshadowed by Watergate? Yep. But meh...mixed bag. :lol:

Looking back at our economic history in my 50 years here, I would no more immediately credit Trump for economic success than I would blame him for leaving office with negative job numbers.
One of Nixon's signature successes was China which in hindsight has not turned out so well. Standing up to China is a major positive for Trump's administration IMO. Like standing up to China, Trump's successes weren't just economic. As AZ has suggested, remove the Twitter-happy sociopathic narcissist element (and the inept handling of the pandemic) and he would have been an extremely popular president.
Agreed. Nixon’s China policy would seemed to have produced a (mixed bag :mrgreen: ) of results and is a perfect example of where I agree with you. China was inevitably going to become a player. Better to stay out in front of that. But yes, Trump’s China dealings are tough to argue with. Btw, trade policy and protectionism is another issue I used to get raked over the coals for. :lol:

Me, Pat Buchanan, Trump, and Bernie...United front!

:lol:

“Smoot-Hawley”!!! Ganny in 3,2,1..........

:)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:56 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:41 am

Agreed. Nixon’s China policy would seemed to have produced a (mixed bag :mrgreen: ) of results and is a perfect example of where I agree with you. China was inevitably going to become a player. Better to stay out in front of that. But yes, Trump’s China dealings are tough to argue with. Btw, trade policy and protectionism is another issue I used to get raked over the coals for. :lol:

Don't forget Ross Perot too. He came up with the "giant sucking sound" metaphor. And I don't remember you talking tough about China, you were more of the mind to take the cudgel to smaller players who couldn't fight back. Let me know when it makes sense to start up an American-based industry of making those little umbrellas that we put into fruity drinks at the country club - we're talking jobs with that one. :rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm sure misses cleets at a time like this.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:22 am
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:56 am

Don't forget Ross Perot too. He came up with the "giant sucking sound" metaphor. And I don't remember you talking tough about China, you were more of the mind to take the cudgel to smaller players who couldn't fight back. Let me know when it makes sense to start up an American-based industry of making those little umbrellas that we put into fruity drinks at the country club - we're talking jobs with that one. :rofl:
Good example.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:03 am kalm sure misses cleets at a time like this.
I miss Cleets, CID, Native, all of those who have left.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

A picture, as the cliche goes, is worth 1,000 words:

If you want people like that having a significant impact on the direction of this country, God help you. And for SURE help the rest of us.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:42 am
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:36 am

Recognized.

So does diversity.
Isn’t that an old wooden ship?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

The Kinzinger's Cousin letter:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... etter.html

The letter starts with this:
Oh my, what a disappointment you are to us and to God! We were once so proud of your accomplishments! Instead, you go against your Christian principals (sic) and join the "devil's army" (Democrats and the fake news media). How do you call yourself a Christian when you join the "devils army" believing in abortion!
A little later, after all of that judgment, there is this:
President Trump is not perfect, but neither are you or any of us for that matter! It is not for us to judge or b judged!
It's quite a read.
Could I ever be a star?

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:45 pm The Kinzinger's Cousin letter:

Oh my, what a disappointment you are to us and to God! We were once so proud of your accomplishments! Instead, you go against your Christian principals (sic) and join the "devil's army" (Democrats and the fake news media). How do you call yourself a Christian when you join the "devils army" believing in abortion!
President Trump is not perfect, but neither are you or any of us for that matter! It is not for us to judge or b judged!
It's quite a read.
You disavow the Lincoln Project yet? Turns out they all knew one of their founders was preying on young boys for almost a year before the news broke.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:18 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:45 pm The Kinzinger's Cousin letter:

It's quite a read.
You disavow the Lincoln Project yet? Turns out they all knew one of their founders was preying on young boys for almost a year before the news broke.
I haven't been paying that much attention to it. But I am pretty sure that I am a lot less concerned about the Lincoln Project than I am about the large number of people in the Republican base who are like the woman who wrote that letter.
Could I ever be a star?

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:54 pm
SDHornet wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:18 pm

I haven't been paying that much attention to it. But I am pretty sure that I am a lot less concerned about the Lincoln Project than I am about the large number of people in the Republican base who are like the woman who wrote that letter.
So not concerned that a group of "principled conservatives" turned a blind eye to a pedo. Same group you spent time shilling for on this board. Well done. :lol: :dunce:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Well, even though they're "Never Trumpers", they're still Republicans at heart.

Remember when this pedo was Speaker of the House?

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:10 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:54 pm

So not concerned that a group of "principled conservatives" turned a blind eye to a pedo. Same group you spent time shilling for on this board. Well done. :lol: :dunce:
Speaking of the Lincoln Project, JSO‘s pedo boy just put out this WHOPPER:

:shock: :dunce: :rofl:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Interesting Twitter thread on how we got to where we are. Most of which was discussed on various thread on this board.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GOP Women’s Group Blasts Greene and Boebert: ‘Carnival Barkers’
A fundraising group for Republican women announced on Wednesday that it will not endorse Representatives Marjorie Taylor Greene (R., Ga.) and Lauren Boebert (R., Colo.) in the 2022 midterms, likening the congresswomen to “carnival barkers.”

The Value in Electing Women (VIEW) PAC, which has worked since 1997 to increase the number of Republican women in Congress, criticized the actions of both congresswomen in an interview with Business Insider.
Damn RINO women should be barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen making sammies. ;)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:25 am GOP Women’s Group Blasts Greene and Boebert: ‘Carnival Barkers’
A fundraising group for Republican women announced on Wednesday that it will not endorse Representatives Marjorie Taylor Greene (R., Ga.) and Lauren Boebert (R., Colo.) in the 2022 midterms, likening the congresswomen to “carnival barkers.”

The Value in Electing Women (VIEW) PAC, which has worked since 1997 to increase the number of Republican women in Congress, criticized the actions of both congresswomen in an interview with Business Insider.
Damn RINO women should be barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen making sammies. ;)
So in other words, they don't want to increase the number of Republican women in Congress, only the number who are lockstep with them ideologically....that's no better than leftist women claiming to be all about womens' rights, but only those who are lefties.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:24 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:25 am GOP Women’s Group Blasts Greene and Boebert: ‘Carnival Barkers’

So in other words, they don't want to increase the number of Republican women in Congress, only the number who are lockstep with them ideologically....that's no better than leftist women claiming to be all about womens' rights, but only those who are lefties.
Or they have long term concerns for the overall branding of the party. What if a woman can be an effective legislator without being a carnival barking Karen? We need a thriving freedom party. Those two idiots ain’t the ticket.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

And no better than the MAGAts that go after Republicans that don't support Lil' Donnie RINOs and chase them out of leadership positions, the party and/or Congress.

MAGAts don't like getting a taste of their own medicine.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:31 am
Or they have long term concerns for the overall branding of the party. What if a woman can be an effective legislator without being a carnival barking Karen? We need a thriving freedom party and a thriving people party. Those two idiots ain’t the ticket to a thriving freedom party just like idiots like AOChe, Omar, Waters, etc. ain't the ticket to a thriving people party.
FYP
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:43 am

And no better than the MAGAts that go after Republicans that don't support Lil' Donnie RINOs and chase them out of leadership positions, the party and/or Congress.

MAGAts don't like getting a taste of their own medicine.
NO NO that's different!!!
The leadership of the Greenville County Republican Party resigned Thursday after a heated meeting earlier this week.

"Continual lawsuits, threats of lawsuits, intimidation, threats, bullying, disenfranchisement and character assassination, as promised by the leadership of mySCGOP and Greenville Tea Party do not advance anything positive, much less promote any level of political discourse or change," three of the county party's leaders said in a joint statement released late Thursday.

"MySCGOP is a fringe, rogue group that has used Antifa-style tactics to essentially dismantle the Greenville County Republican Party to become their own hobby horse." state GOP chairman Drew McKissick said in a statement.
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 907956002/
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17