Political discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Ethnicity and Voting Update

Post by JohnStOnge »

Trump did better than average among Republicans for the exit polling period I can find data for (1976 through 2020). However, the big picture as far as Republicans are concerned is that the basic picture is the same and their prospects for the future are grim unless they can significantly change things.

As I typed a number of times over a number of years, there is a trend towards Republicans getting a greater percentage of the non White vote over time. But the reason for it is that the proportion of non Whites accounted for by Blacks has been declining. In 1976 Blacks were 81% of the non White vote. In 2020, Blacks were only 38% of the non White vote. Other non White groups do not vote as overwhelmingly Democrat as Blacks do so the percent non White vote going Republican has drifted upwards. But the net effect for Republicans has been negative because the overall proportion of voters accounted for by non Whites has increased dramatically. It was 11 percent in 1976. It was 33 percent in 2020.

I went ahead and looked adjusted the percent non White received by Republicans by election for composition. I held the percent Black, the percent Hispanic, percent Asian, and percent Other constant at the median for each group and plugged in percentages for how each group voted by year.

What the table shows is that the trend is towards Republicans getting a greater share of the non White vote as time goes on. You can apply a statistical test and show that it is a "statistically significant" positive trend. But when you adjust for the changing proportions of non White groups within the non White population overall, the trend disappears. There is very little variability. If you were to apply a statistical test it would not show a significant trend either way but the coefficient is negative instead of positive. Pretty much a constant situation.

Meanwhile, because of the increasing overall non White proportion, the last four elections have been the best for the Democrats in terms of how much of a net edge they get in the overall vote due to the non White vote. The net edge from the non White vote never exceeded 10 points during 1976 through 2004. During 2008 through 2020, it's been 17, 18, 16, and 15. The 17 and 18 were associated with Obama. I guess you could say it's good that it went down from 16 to 15 from Trump's first run to his second one. But when you look at it in those terms the only Republican candidates who did worse were the two that had to run against Obama.

The basic picture has not changed.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Ethnicity and Voting Update

Post by Gil Dobie »

I've seen discussion by African Americans, about Biden and Trump both having a history of racists comments. Trump attracting the far right supremacist groups did not help his cause.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Two problems I see with this analysis:

1. Democrats still won't grasp that minority voters by and large DGAF about how many minority Wall Street CEOs there are or government grants for films directed by "wimmin of cullah". As long as that's true they won't be able to fully harness the minority vote.

2. Post Trump the GOP could very well take a more populist turn that will appeal to a lot more minority voters than the Marco Rubios and Mitt Romneys.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:31 am Two problems I see with this analysis:

1. Democrats still won't grasp that minority voters by and large DGAF about how many minority Wall Street CEOs there are or government grants for films directed by "wimmin of cullah". As long as that's true they won't be able to fully harness the minority vote.

2. Post Trump the GOP could very well take a more populist turn that will appeal to a lot more minority voters than the Marco Rubios and Mitt Romneys.
It’s interesting how the media and the left now use the term populist as a pejorative. It’s everywhere in describing right wing and right wing extremist politics.

Weren’t progressives once populists fighting the power elite?

Caught a few minutes of Morning Joe this morning and it was a bloodbath on the mad king’s exit strategy.

There are at least a few paleo Republican/moderate/Randolph and Mortimer Duke type conservatives who’ve seen the Trump army foot soldiers in all if their irrational glory and said “fuck that shit, we need to rebrand.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Oh great. Another JSO Trump and Ethnicity thread.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:11 am

It’s interesting how the media and the left now use the term populist as a pejorative. It’s everywhere in describing right wing and right wing extremist politics.

Caught a few minutes of Morning Joe this morning and it was a bloodbath on the mad king’s exit strategy.

There are at least a few paleo Republican/moderate/Randolph and Mortimer Duke type conservatives who’ve seen the Trump army foot soldiers in all if their irrational glory and said “fuck that shit, we need to rebrand.
meanwhile, the moderate dems see the army of AOC/Omar/etc. foot soldiers and say “hell yeah, we need to embrace that shit”.... :rofl: :rofl:

Good luck with that in the future.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:24 pm

meanwhile, the moderate dems see the army of AOC/Omar/etc. foot soldiers and say “hell yeah, we need to embrace that shit”.... :rofl: :rofl:

Establishment Dems hate progressives more than they hate Republicans.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

The way I see it...most don't vote GOP because they're concerned Amazon's taxes might be too high and most don't vote Democrat because they want more diverse CEOs or gender-neutral language in government docs. Anyone who recognizes that and runs accordingly gets the "populist" label thrown on them. It essentially means embracing ideas unpopular with the political class and popular with the people.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:55 pm

Really? Joe Biden’s cabinet and VP choice says differently.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:16 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:55 pm

How many of those picks are progressives?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:06 pm

The way I see it...most don't vote GOP because they're concerned Amazon's taxes might be too high and most don't vote Democrat because they want more diverse CEOs or gender-neutral language in government docs. Anyone who recognizes that and runs accordingly gets the "populist" label thrown on them. It essentially means embracing ideas unpopular with the political class and popular with the people.
There’s quite a bit of truth here.

Does it apply to the left as well?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:31 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:16 pm

He only has one VP. Considered THE most liberal senator in DC. Who will be president within a year.
And he’s picked his entire cabinet based on their skin color and/or whether or not they have a vagina.

He’s so woke.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

I did not comment on whether minority voters have fully harnessed the minority vote or not. All I said is that the basic tendency has been pretty constant and did not change in this election.

I don't know about turns post Trump. But, with Trump, the Republican Party pretty much cast its lot with relatively uneducated White voters. White voters without college degrees voted by an overwhelming majority of Trump. But every other race x education group, including White voters with college degrees, voted for Biden. We'll see how that strategy works out in the long term.

It continues to be the case that the Republicans are vested in a shrinking demographic. Can they pivot and pander otherwise successfully? I don't know for sure. I'd think not but I would also have thought that Trump would've absolutely destroyed their chances in that regard and they are no worse off now than they were before him.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Texas was an interesting case this year, BTW. In Texas, the percent of voters comprised of non Whites actually decreased. It was 43% in 2016 and 40% this time. The percent non White vote that went Democrat stayed essentially the same but maybe down slightly. Could be just sampling error but it went from 66% to 29% last time (margin 37 percentage points) to 67% to 31% (margin 36) this time.

You'd think that, if the percentage of voters that are non White dropped a little and the Democrat margin among non Whites stayed about the same, Trump's margin would've been a little bigger this time than it was in 2016. But it wasn't. It dropped from 9 percentage points in 2016 to 5.5% this time.

The reason? Trump's margin among White voters declined significantly in Texas. It was still overwhelming at 66% to 33%. That's a 33 percentage point margin. But in 2016 he won Whites in Texas by 69% to 26%. That is a 43 percentage point margin. So his margin among Whites decreased by 10 percentage points.

I would have expected to see Texas continue on a trajectory towards smaller Republican margins. But I expected to see that because I expected to see the percent non White vote increase. That's not what happened. For this election, anyway, the percent non White vote decreased a little. But, this time, the Republican lost some support among White voters.

I do think the increase in percent White vote this time is an anomaly caused by the cult nature of Trump support. I think that, as time goes on, the general trend will continue to be the non White percentage of the Texas vote increasing and eventually becoming the majority.
Could I ever be a star?

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

That hasn't been my experience. It might be my location, but I can't name many democrats who actually think the Squad are good for the party and need to be taken seriously.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:01 pm

He only has one VP. Considered THE most liberal senator in DC. Who will be president within a year.
And he’s picked his entire cabinet based on their skin color and/or whether or not they have a vagina.

He’s so woke.
Harris is more liberal than Sanders and Warren?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

He’s so woke.
So selecting Ben Carson and Betsy DeVoss was “woke”? I didn’t know they were progressives.

You didn’t answer my question.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:20 am

He’s so woke.
Yes.
https://govtrackinsider.com/our-ideolog ... d25493ca72
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:42 am
Yes.
Did you actually read the article and the 4 examples cited? The horror!

:lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:56 am

:nod: IMO, an overwhelming majority of Americans (i.e. liberals and moderates) would support most of those examples.

Harris's voting record might indicate that she is the most liberal senator but it is questionable. Sanders, Warren, etc. have a much longer history.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:42 am
Yes.
That's for 1 year. In 2019, Warren (according to that website) was the most liberal. Govtrack.us says she's like the 4th most liberal. Let's compare their entire careers.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:25 am

He’s so woke.
So selecting Ben Carson and Betsy DeVoss was “woke”? I didn’t know they were progressives.

You didn’t answer my question.
No, those weren’t woke. Choosing someone BECAUSE of the color of their skin or whether they have a vagina is woke. It’s the Dem way....Identity politics.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:56 am

Why must every bill have an acronym? :ohno: :ohno:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:54 am
That's for 1 year. In 2019, Warren (according to that website) was the most liberal. Govtrack.us says she's like the 4th most liberal. Let's compare their entire careers.
:suspicious: In 2019 they have Harris as the most liberal. Warren is tied for 25, about in the middle of the donks.
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/member ... e/ideology

They do one for serving 10+ years in the Senate, but that's only 42 members of the Senate, and neither Pocahontas, nor Spread Eagle are included.
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/member ... s/ideology
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:52 pm
Ibanez wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:54 am That's for 1 year. In 2019, Warren (according to that website) was the most liberal. Govtrack.us says she's like the 4th most liberal. Let's compare their entire careers.
:suspicious: In 2019 they have Harris as the most liberal. Warren is tied for 25, about in the middle of the donks.
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/member ... e/ideology

They do one for serving 10+ years in the Senate, but that's only 42 members of the Senate, and neither Pocahontas, nor Spread Eagle are included.
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/member ... s/ideology
My mistake...for some reason the google result I clicked on was for 2018 - https://www.govtrack.us/congress/member ... /ideology/

She was #4 in 2018, #7 in 2017. Seems all subjective. If nominating Aretha Franklin for an award is basis for being uber liberal, then we have real problems.
Spoiler: show

When we look back, Tiny Dick Frail Ego Trump will be consistently ranked near Buchannan and his idol Nixon.