The Media -- Going Forward

Political discussions
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

The Media -- Going Forward

Post by JoltinJoe »

Some months ago, Tucker Carlson said something that was spot-on accurate.

Although the mass media fixate on the number lies that Donald Trump tells, Carlson said that what really bothers the media isn't that Trump lies, but that Trump often tells the truth. And one of the truths that Trump tells is that the media is biased and cannot be trusted.

Recent case in point. The New York Times ran a story about newly elected Alabama Senator Tommy Tuberville saying that there were three branches of government: the House, the Senate, and the Executive. The story all but came out and called him an idiot.

Of course, Tuberville isn't an idiot. You've got to have a lot of brain power to become a highly successful football coach in the SEC -- which as you know, was Tuberville's former occupation. You can't be an idiot and win so many games in the SEC. Based on his success as a football coach, you know that Tuberville must be a pretty smart guy. He may not be up-to-speed on civics, but he isn't an idiot.

But why did the Times even cover this story at all? Just a few weeks ago, media darling AOC said the exact same thing. Don't waste your time looking for the NY Times story about her flub.

And when it comes to who has more brain power, my guess would be that it takes a lot more brains to coach in the SEC than to tend bar.

Let's be candid too. A politician can lie frequently and the Washington Post is not going to start a "lie count" for that politician if he or she is a Democrat loyal to the party causes.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: The Media -- Going Forward

Post by Ibanez »

JoltinJoe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:16 pm Some months ago, Tucker Carlson said something that was spot-on accurate.

Although the mass media fixate on the number lies that Donald Trump tells, Carlson said that what really bothers the media isn't that Trump lies, but that Trump often tells the truth. And one of the truths that Trump tells is that the media is biased and cannot be trusted.

Recent case in point. The New York Times ran a story about newly elected Alabama Senator Tommy Tuberville saying that there were three branches of government: the House, the Senate, and the Executive. The story all but came out and called him an idiot.

Of course, Tuberville isn't an idiot. You've got to have a lot of brain power to become a highly successful football coach in the SEC -- which as you know, was Tuberville's former occupation. You can't be an idiot and win so many games in the SEC. Based on his success as a football coach, you know that Tuberville must be a pretty smart guy. He may not be up-to-speed on civics, but he isn't an idiot.

But why did the Times even cover this story at all? Just a few weeks ago, media darling AOC said the exact same thing. Don't waste your time looking for the NY Times story about her flub.

And when it comes to who has more brain power, my guess would be that it takes a lot more brains to coach in the SEC than to tend bar.

Let's be candid too. A politician can lie frequently and the Washington Post is not going to start a "lie count" for that politician if he or she is a Democrat loyal to the party causes.

Fox News isn't going to start a "lie count" for a politician who is loyal to the Republican party and its causes. There's a bias in the media and everyone is guilty of it. What is your point? That Trump said something we already knew? As if that makes up for his dishonesty?

If a guy is running for political office and he doesn't know the basics of government, especially that the House and Senate comprise 1 of the branches of government, i'd start to wonder what other basic civic knowledge is his lacking?

Then again, smart people get tongue tied, say the wrong thing and it's simply a human mistake. Maybe this was the case with Coach. Maybe it was the case with AOC. Too often we see simple gaffe like this as evidence that someone is stupid - that is if they aren't a member of our preferred political party.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:27 pm Fox News isn't going to start a "lie count" for a politician who is loyal to the Republican party and its causes. There's a bias in the media and everyone is guilty of it. What is your point?
I think the point is few people deny the bias by Fox. Can you say the same for NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, NY Times, Wash Po.... ?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:27 pm
JoltinJoe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:16 pm Some months ago, Tucker Carlson said something that was spot-on accurate.

Fox News isn't going to start a "lie count" for a politician who is loyal to the Republican party and its causes. There's a bias in the media and everyone is guilty of it. What is your point? That Trump said something we already knew? As if that makes up for his dishonesty?

If a guy is running for political office and he doesn't know the basics of government, especially that the House and Senate comprise 1 of the branches of government, i'd start to wonder what other basic civic knowledge is his lacking?

Then again, smart people get tongue tied, say the wrong thing and it's simply a human mistake. Maybe this was the case with Coach. Maybe it was the case with AOC. Too often we see simple gaffe like this as evidence that someone is stupid - that is if they aren't a member of our preferred political party.
I think they’re both retards. Feel better?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:38 pm

I think they’re both retards. Feel better?
Takes one to know two. :thumb:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

The Conservative Treehouse. Enough said.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Are bartenders rednecks? I’ve known some pretty damn smart ones.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:42 pm Are bartenders rednecks?
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:42 pm

Depends on if they make a "mistake" and give you free drinks.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:48 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:42 pm
What if you pay for your drinks with a dollar and they give you change for a twenty?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:13 pm
Winterborn wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:48 pm

What if you pay for your drinks with a dollar and they give you change for a twenty?
Let them know they made a mistake. :nod:

What I was talking about above is when you order a beer and the tap blows. Most of the time they just pour the beer down the drain. If one is good enough friends with the bartenders, that beer gets disposed of another way. ;)
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Completely wrong. The mainstream media can be trusted. What happened with Trump is that he is an atrocity with a lot of skeletons in his closet plus his modus operandi is to lie and scam. He knew that the media would call him out. So he went on a campaign to discredit the media. It's as simple as that.

The mainstream media make mistakes. And they do have some liberal bias. But they are generally accurate. If you buy into that "can't believe the liberal media" scam you are allowing yourself to be deceived.

BTW, there was plenty of mainstream media reporting of AOC's gaffe. And the reason a "lie count" was started on Trump is because he lies way more than any politician does or has historically. Politifact noted that about him early on. Very early on they were saying that they were having a hard time keeping up because they had never encountered someone who made as many false statements as he does.

And that, BTW, is the truth.

One last BTW: If I had to bet, I'd bet that if you had Tubberville and AOC take IQ tests AOC would get a higher score.

If you want to pick a media entity you don't want to trust, try Tucker Carlson.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

I don't recall the Washington Post establishing a "lie count" for G.W. Bush, G.H.W. Bush, or Reagan. The reason a lie count has been established for Trump is that he lies WAY more than any other President of our lifetime has. And it's very blatant. There is no comparison.
Could I ever be a star?

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:48 pm Completely wrong. The mainstream media can be trusted.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:34 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:48 pm Completely wrong. The mainstream media can be trusted.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:+1:

Whenever I feel down, I just read one of JSO's posts.

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

What we call the "mainstream media" tend to be biased to some extent. But they are FAR more reliable than what comes out of the conservative misinformation ecosystem.

Mainstream media entities are honestly trying to tell the truth. Their efforts are influenced by the fact that most of the people working in them tend to be on the left. But they have standards and they try to tell the truth.

The conservative misinformation ecosystem isn't like that. They put out complete bullshit then it never goes away. I saw an example of that when I looked at the 2020 election thread the other day. It had a meme showing a spike of Biden votes in Wisconsin with the suggesting that something untoward was going on. That suggestion was debunked like 20 days before the meme appeared on this board. But here it is still going on.

Same thing with all the false COVID-19 related stuff being distributed by the conservative misinformation ecosystem. One can hardly keep up with it.

And, yes, the mainstream media can be trusted to make an honest effort to tell the truth. If you don't accept that you have bought into and been taken into a misinformation campaign whereby conservatives are trying to discredit the mainstream media because the mainstream media hold them accountable.
Could I ever be a star?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:14 pm What we call the "mainstream media" tend to be biased to some extent. But they are FAR more reliable than what comes out of the conservative misinformation ecosystem.

Mainstream media entities are honestly trying to tell the truth. Their efforts are influenced by the fact that most of the people working in them tend to be on the left. But they have standards and they try to tell the truth.

The conservative misinformation ecosystem isn't like that. They put out complete bullshit then it never goes away. I saw an example of that when I looked at the 2020 election thread the other day. It had a meme showing a spike of Biden votes in Wisconsin with the suggesting that something untoward was going on. That suggestion was debunked like 20 days before the meme appeared on this board. But here it is still going on.

Same thing with all the false COVID-19 related stuff being distributed by the conservative misinformation ecosystem. One can hardly keep up with it.

And, yes, the mainstream media can be trusted to make an honest effort to tell the truth. If you don't accept that you have bought into and been taken into a misinformation campaign whereby conservatives are trying to discredit the mainstream media because the mainstream media hold them accountable.
:nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

More bad news for the tin foil hat wearers. AfTer several warnings, OANN has been jailed by youtube and demonetized for a week due to fake Covid reporting.

:ohno:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:12 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:14 pm What we call the "mainstream media" tend to be biased to some extent. But they are FAR more reliable than what comes out of the conservative misinformation ecosystem.

Yeah, there are only like a million examples of the left stream media doing exactly that or worse, but I’m too exhausted to reference them all again. Everybody on the left is just CERTAIN their media isn’t biased and is truthful while the right is the enemy. Everyone on the right is absolutely SURE that their media tells unbiased truth and nothing less, while the leftist media is the devil. Anyone who doesn’t think the left and right media are two wings on the same fucking bird is part of the problem.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:36 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:12 pm

Yeah, there are only like a million examples of the left stream media doing exactly that or worse, but I’m too exhausted to reference them all again. Everybody on the left is just CERTAIN their media isn’t biased and is truthful while the right is the enemy. Everyone on the right is absolutely SURE that their media tells unbiased truth and nothing less, while the leftist media is the devil. Anyone who doesn’t think the left and right media are two wings on the same fucking bird is part of the problem.
JSO admitted to liberal bias in the msm. He’s comparing it to right wing alt media. :coffee:

It would be interesting to see how influential the right wing alt/social media truly is. From my perspective I see left wing friends and posters on herereferencing actual sources whereas the vast majority from the right is unsubstantiated or cited tweets (see the Covid denier posts in that thread)

At least with the msm, they are real brick and mortar entities with decades of history, resources to put actual reporters on the ground (skelly pointed this out in the Ferguson reporting), and enough holdings to be worth suing if they screw up (see CNN).
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:46 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:36 pm

JSO admitted to liberal bias in the msm. He’s comparing it to right wing alt media. :coffee:

It would be interesting to see how influential the right wing alt/social media truly is. From my perspective I see left wing friends and posters on herereferencing actual sources whereas the vast majority from the right is unsubstantiated or cited tweets (see the Covid denier posts in that thread)

At least with the msm, they are real brick and mortar entities with decades of history, resources to put actual reporters on the ground (skelly pointed this out in the Ferguson reporting), and enough holdings to be worth suing if they screw up (see CNN).
:?

It's foolish...stupid to compare the NY Times or the Washington Post, or CNN to Fox News. FNC is on the same level as MSNBC (allegedly). The "Gray Lady" "Newspaper of Record" and "Democracy Dies in Darkness" types claim that they are the true objective media and practice actual "journalism". The truth is that all of them (and you can include CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, and many others) are identically ideologically aligned with MSNBC. The sad part is that they don't really try to hide it any longer, either.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:51 pm I don't recall the Washington Post establishing a "lie count" for G.W. Bush, G.H.W. Bush, or Reagan. The reason a lie count has been established for Trump is that he lies WAY more than any other President of our lifetime has. And it's very blatant. There is no comparison.
It is true that Trump lies a lot more than any other president before him.

But that isn't the reason why the Washington Post started the "lie count."

As I stated above, WaPo started the "lie count" not because of the lies, but because of some truths which Trump spoke.

In fact, I think many Trump voters ignored all the lies they knew Trump told because of those (few) truths he spoke.
"
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:48 pm

Completely wrong. The mainstream media can be trusted. What happened with Trump is that he is an atrocity with a lot of skeletons in his closet plus his modus operandi is to lie and scam. He knew that the media would call him out. So he went on a campaign to discredit the media. It's as simple as that.

The mainstream media make mistakes. And they do have some liberal bias. But they are generally accurate. If you buy into that "can't believe the liberal media" scam you are allowing yourself to be deceived.

BTW, there was plenty of mainstream media reporting of AOC's gaffe. And the reason a "lie count" was started on Trump is because he lies way more than any politician does or has historically. Politifact noted that about him early on. Very early on they were saying that they were having a hard time keeping up because they had never encountered someone who made as many false statements as he does.

One last BTW: If I had to bet, I'd bet that if you had Tubberville and AOC take IQ tests AOC would get a higher score.

You want to know something? The mass media is a lie machine, far more out of control than Trump.

As a Catholic, I can say with conviction that an incredible amount of things reported about the Catholic Church is highly distorted, or an outright lie.

And the media will lie to protect favored organizations like Planned Parenthood. For example, the media told you for years that the David Daleiden videos were "distorted."

But when PP representatives were finally deposed under oath, sworn to tell the truth, they admitted that PP sold baby parts for profit and only stopped after the Daleiden videos became public.

And yet I can't locate a single mainstream media story that reported this deposition testimony.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:36 am
JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:48 pm

You want to know something? The mass media is a lie machine, far more out of control than Trump.

As a Catholic, I can say with conviction that an incredible amount of things reported about the Catholic Church is highly distorted, or an outright lie.

And the media will lie to protect favored organizations like Planned Parenthood. For example, the media told you for years that the David Daleiden videos were "distorted."

But when PP representatives were finally deposed under oath, sworn to tell the truth, they admitted that PP sold baby parts for profit and only stopped after the Daleiden videos became public.

And yet I can't locate a single mainstream media story that reported this deposition testimony.
Link?

:rofl: