Political discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Lame Duck Trump

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:31 am
El Griz wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:40 pm I just prefer he concedes like many have had to do before him, even in closer circumstances. Dignity is just not within him.
You mean like others have done (reluctantly)...

ON DECEMBER 13TH
So the best comparisons for Trump and his supporters concession/transition behavior are Hillary & Gore? That's some exalted company that I would want to be included with ... :oops:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:16 am So the best comparisons for Trump and his supporters concession/transition behavior are Hillary & Gore? That's some exalted company that I would want to be included with ... :oops:
:lol: If that's all you took from that... :coffee:

And how many other Dem losers have there been in that time to compare?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:18 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:16 am So the best comparisons for Trump and his supporters concession/transition behavior are Hillary & Gore? That's some exalted company that I would want to be included with ... :oops:

What am I supposed to take from it? Are you not trying to rationalize Trump's behavior by comparing him to others from the other side that have behaved poorly?

Why can't we just call out poor behavior regardless of party? Shouldn't we expect more from our elected leaders?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Indeed. All this hand-wringing over Trump's clearly predictable behavior is just a bunch of noise. Democracy wasn't destroyed when Gore sought to count more Democratic votes in Florida and kept his legal efforts going to do so until the SCOTUS told them to stop and for the Electoral College to vote (and Gore made sure to smear the SCOTUS along the way, which is still the prevailing thought among Dems today). Biden will be President, Trump will slither away, or go bombastically away, and politics will continue on without pause. We're not even to the middle of November yet, the EC doesn't vote for more than a month, but all of these things will happen and Biden will be taking the oath of office on Jan 20th, no matter how much of a poor loser Trump is. Maybe Trump will grow a beard and become a do as I say not as I do environmental champion after all of this?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:28 am

What am I supposed to take from it? Are you not trying to rationalize Trump's behavior by comparing him to others from the other side that have behaved poorly?

Why can't we just call out poor behavior regardless of party? Shouldn't we expect more from our elected leaders?
Is Trump doing something surprising or unforeseen? Of course we should expect more from our elected leaders, but strangely we keep electing leaders who won't live up to that ideal. Maybe we're the problem? :coffee:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:31 am

Is Trump doing something surprising or unforeseen? Of course we should expect more from our elected leaders, but strangely we keep electing leaders who won't live up to that ideal. Maybe we're the problem? :coffee:
The question is whether he is doing anything illegal. He got 72 million votes, so that's 74 million people that want him to use every legal tactic to ensure all votes were correctly recorded and tallied. MLB games are often played under protest. It's rare for them to be upheld, but even if not, changes to ensure future clarity are sometimes made.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

There is nothing about Trump's behavior that wasn't predictable but that doesn't make it acceptable. Comparing it to Gore or Hillary is admitting that he's behaving poorly but trying to rationalize it with a juvenile "they did it first".

Another interesting aspect of this is that all the Trumpflakes that mocked Hillary and her supporters claiming Russian collusion to steal the election are now running around crying that this election was stolen (while former Hillary supporters have also completely reversed their position to claim the opposite).

Ultimately, it's no skin off my back but I'm going to continue to point out the hypocrisy of both sides.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:28 am What am I supposed to take from it? Are you not trying to rationalize Trump's behavior by comparing him to others from the other side that have behaved poorly?

Tiresome argument. We don't have better, so we're stuck with what we have. But what we also have is a complete double standard in the mass media. Every time they point out that Trump hasn't conceded, they should note that this is NOT novel in modern elections. :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:30 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:28 am What am I supposed to take from it? Are you not trying to rationalize Trump's behavior by comparing him to others from the other side that have behaved poorly?

Tiresome argument. We don't have better, so we're stuck with what we have. But what we also have is a complete double standard in the mass media. Every time they point out that Trump hasn't conceded, they should note that this is NOT novel in modern elections. :coffee:
I agree that we don't have better and that there is a double standard but it's a two-sided affair. Trump and his followers also have a double standard. In 2020, Donks and Conks just exchanged playbooks from 2016. What do you call whining about the other side's double standard without admitting your own?

IMO "they did it first" or "they're worse than we are" are the tiresome arguments.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:49 am

I agree that we don't have better and that there is a double standard but it's a two-sided affair. Trump and his followers also have a double standard. In 2020, Donks and Conks just exchanged playbooks from 2016. What do you call whining about the other side's double standard without admitting your own?

IMO "they did it first" or "they're worse than we are" are the tiresome arguments.
Maybe Trump is waiting for Stacy Abrams to concede from her race back in 2018?

I agree, it's discouraging that our elected leaders act like children, but it's who we have elected. Heck, it's what drive ratings and it's what motivates people within each of the parties. It's just who we are apparently as a nation and as a society. This is what we've built as our political structure. I'd like it to be different too, but I'm apparently just one voter.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

I view some of them as precedent. If you felt there was potential fraud, wouldn't you pursue it?

FTR, I said nothing about 2016.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:30 pm

I view some of them as precedent. If you felt there was potential fraud, wouldn't you pursue it?

Just because first lemming sets a precedent by jumping off of a cliff doesn't mean that the second lemming should follow.

If you look through my posts you'll see that I agree that potential fraud should be pursued. My issue is with Trump being a baby about it. There is a big difference between stating that there were voting irregularities that need to be investigated and whining that the election was stolen and not allowing your opponent access to things such as intelligence briefings.

I bring up 2016 because the same people that mocked the Donks for whining that the 2016 election was stolen are now whining that the 2020 election was stolen.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:05 pm

Just because first lemming sets a precedent by jumping off of a cliff doesn't mean that the second lemming should follow.

If you look through my posts you'll see that I agree that potential fraud should be pursued. My issue is with Trump being a baby about it. There is a big difference between stating that there were voting irregularities that need to be investigated and whining that the election was stolen and not allowing your opponent access to things such as intelligence briefings.

I bring up 2016 because the same people that mocked the Donks for whining that the 2016 election was stolen are now whining that the 2020 election was stolen.
I did say "some of them as precedent" for a reason. I don't blame Gore for holding off then. It's tougher sledding this year because it's not one state. But it's one issue... fraud through mail in votes, whether that be non-qualified votes being counted or states changing their rules against their laws. I don't think Trump stands a chance to win, but him waiting is certainly not unconscionable given it happened in my kids lifetime.

And you bring up 2016 because it fit what you wanted to say. The same reason I brought up 2000. I'd rather you stick to my claims when replying to me. :thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Give me a break. No need for intel briefings now 2 + months before the Inauguration. Plenty of time for intel briefings after the state electors have cast their ballots.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:59 pm

Give me a break. No need for intel briefings now 2 + months before the Inauguration. Plenty of time for intel briefings after the state electors have cast their ballots.
That's one example of Trump being a whiny little b!tch. Once again you focus on the details so you can avoid the point.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:04 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:59 pm
That's one example of Trump being a whiny little b!tch. Once again you focus on the details so you can avoid the point.
Or is that an example of BIDEN being a whiny little bitch? 8-)
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:

Even more reason for Trump to rise above, wouldn’t you say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:05 pm Just because first lemming sets a precedent by jumping off of a cliff doesn't mean that the second lemming should follow.

You don’t think it’s a good time to start bringing the new administration up to speed? Why postpone the inevitable?

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:13 pm
89Hen wrote:

Even more reason for Trump to rise above, wouldn’t you say?
Clear you're not following either. I don't expect Trump to rise above. Give this some more thought.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:15 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Give me a break. No need for intel briefings now 2 + months before the Inauguration. Plenty of time for intel briefings after the state electors have cast their ballots.
You don’t think it’s a good time to start bringing the new administration up to speed? Why postpone the inevitable?

No.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:55 pm

No.
Republican Senators Cornyn, Graham, Grassley, Johnson, Lankford, Portman and Thune disagree with you.

Top GOP senators say Biden should have access to classified briefings
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:59 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:55 pm
No.
Republican Senators Cornyn, Graham, Grassley, Johnson, Lankford, Portman and Thune disagree with you.

Top GOP senators say Biden should have access to classified briefings
Well, I was responding to “the new administration”. As far as just Biden himself, whom the Senators were addressing, it doesn’t hurt, and it doesn’t matter. Bidem won’t be able to remember it anyway.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

We elected Biden.....do you feel like he is like that? Hillary conceded the morning after with a much lesser vote margin loss. Gannon.....,you continue to be a champion of Trump by degrading the other side at every turn. Not everything is equal....and it certainly is NOT in this instance. maybe you can attend his 2024 rallies....coming to a airport hanger near you. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Go Black Bears!
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:13 pm Even more reason for Trump to rise above, wouldn’t you say?
Clear you're not following either. I don't expect Trump to rise above. Give this some more thought.
No, I got that Mr. Condescending Tone Man. ImageMy comment was more about moving on. Trump rising above would make the alt-left lose their minds.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Lame Duck Trump

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:

No.
I disagree. When you leave, you make sure whoever is taking your place has everything they need before you handover the keys. I’ve done it in my career, why not at the highest levels of our government.

I don’t think you have a good reason for not maintaining a peaceful continuity of government. Trump hasn’t given you a reason.

Last edited by Ibanez on Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.