From the Rochester riots:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Here We Go Again (Kenosha, WI)

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:53 pm blm winning hearts and minds in Pittsburgh..
Trump is gonna run with that hard throughout the rust belt.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:50 am
SDHornet wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:53 pm blm winning hearts and minds in Pittsburgh..
Trump is gonna run with that hard throughout the rust belt.
If people don't think PA could tip again to Trump then they aren't paying attention. It's clearly in play yet again.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Al Sharpton: “Only latte liberals like Treep want to defund <clap> the <clap> police <clap>.”

https://hotair.com/archives/allahpundit ... -sharpton/

I knew the black communities were going to start saying this - they are the largest consumers of police services and they also know that the vast majority of police are their allies

I’m a little surprised to see this honesty out of Sharpton, but he does know what side his toast is buttered on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/nation ... n/5400327/
Authorities in Utah are investigating the shooting of a 13-year-old with autism by police in the Salt Lake City area...

...Barton claimed she told police her son was unarmed and warned them that he did not know how to regulate his behavior.

A few minutes after two officers who had arrived went through the front door of the home, Barton said she heard an order to “get on the ground" and several gunshots.

No weapon was found Friday, the Salt Lake Tribune reported.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:47 pm Al Sharpton: “Only latte liberals like Treep want to defund <clap> the <clap> police <clap>.”

I knew the black communities were going to start saying this - they are the largest consumers of police services and they also know that the vast majority of police are their allies

I’m a little surprised to see this honesty out of Sharpton, but he does know what side his toast is buttered on

Al is probably misconstruing things as he prefers a controversy. Defund the police does not mean no police and anyone incapable of understanding simple nuance needs to go back to school. We need cops downsized, their standards upsized, and their responsibilities better defined and lessened.

Police budgets are way too large today, and can be cut further by moving that money around to other professions better suited for roles needed in the community.

Different calls require different solutions. Someone having a mental breakdown that isn't armed shouldn't have the same people who show up to an active shooting. A lot of calls do not need an armed response. The vast majority of traffic stops, the officer could leave their guns in the car and be 100% fine. Same with the majority of domestic disputes

Defund does not mean 0 dollars towards law enforcement. It does not mean an explicit strip of all funding. It means redirecting money for the police to other, better causes.

Defund. The. Police.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:27 pm
CID1990 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:47 pm Al Sharpton: “Only latte liberals like Treep want to defund <clap> the <clap> police <clap>.”

Al is probably misconstruing things as he prefers a controversy. Defund the police does not mean no police and anyone incapable of understanding simple nuance needs to go back to school. We need cops downsized, their standards upsized, and their responsibilities better defined and lessened.

Police budgets are way too large today, and can be cut further by moving that money around to other professions better suited for roles needed in the community.

Different calls require different solutions. Someone having a mental breakdown that isn't armed shouldn't have the same people who show up to an active shooting. A lot of calls do not need an armed response. The vast majority of traffic stops, the officer could leave their guns in the car and be 100% fine. Same with the majority of domestic disputes

Defund does not mean 0 dollars towards law enforcement. It does not mean an explicit strip of all funding. It means redirecting money for the police to other, better causes.

Defund. The. Police.
Yes, they mean literally abolish the police.

Yes, We Mean Literally Abolish the Police
Why on earth would we think the same reforms would work now? We need to change our demands. The surest way of reducing police violence is to reduce the power of the police, by cutting budgets and the number of officers.

But don’t get me wrong. We are not abandoning our communities to violence. We don’t want to just close police departments. We want to make them obsolete.

We should redirect the billions that now go to police departments toward providing health care, housing, education and good jobs. If we did this, there would be less need for the police in the first place.

We can build other ways of responding to harms in our society. Trained “community care workers” could do mental-health checks if someone needs help. Towns could use restorative-justice models instead of throwing people in prison.
Even your squad girl, Ilhan Omar is on board.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Different calls require different solutions. Someone having a mental breakdown that isn't armed shouldn't have the same people who show up to an active shooting. A lot of calls do not need an armed response. The vast majority of traffic stops, the officer could leave their guns in the car and be 100% fine. Same with the majority of domestic disputes.

Defund. The. Police.
Defund the police means no police according to the ANTIFA/BLM leftards. See Baldy‘s post above.

Sure the vast majority of traffic stops and domestic calls the cops don‘t need their firearms- except for those traffic stops and domestic calls that they do need them, which they often don‘t know until they‘re at the door. So you‘d have them unarmed in those situations, having to run back to their cars to get their guns. :dunce:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Baldy wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:39 am

Defund. The. Police.

Why on earth would we think the same reforms would work now? We need to change our demands. The surest way of reducing police violence is to reduce the power of the police, by cutting budgets and the number of officers.

But don’t get me wrong. We are not abandoning our communities to violence. We don’t want to just close police departments. We want to make them obsolete.

We should redirect the billions that now go to police departments toward providing health care, housing, education and good jobs. If we did this, there would be less need for the police in the first place.

We can build other ways of responding to harms in our society. Trained “community care workers” could do mental-health checks if someone needs help. Towns could use restorative-justice models instead of throwing people in prison.
:nod:
Leftists are seeing how badly the "defund the police" mantra is hurting them in the polls and are trying to walk it back. It's quite entertaining.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:07 pm

:nod:
Leftists are seeing how badly the "defund the police" mantra is hurting them in the polls and are trying to walk it back. It's quite entertaining.
I'm waiting for the countless cries from leftists when they need the police but the police aren't there to help due to this defund bullshit. :ohno:

Words mean things. If you want to Reform the Police then say that. But don't say Defund and then get upset when people push back against what it means to Defund. Morans. Morans everywhere!!
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

CitadelGrad wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:46 am
houndawg wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:21 am

The cops need the riots for the OT and to keep the subject deflected from police executions. :coffee:
You didn't answer the question -- and what police executions?
The police executions are the reason they're out in the street, Jethro. Ahmaud Arberry, Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, the guy that lived upstairs from the female cop who walked into the "wrong apartment" and blew him away, the guy choked to death for selling cigarettes, the crazy in Rochester, 12 year old kid playing in the park....ad nauseum.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

I love how one idea is to send mental illness professionals out to the streets to deal with deranged people walking around or relationship counselors to domestic disturbance calls. Unarmed. People think police are quitting fast.LOL
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:54 am

The police executions are the reason they're out in the street, Jethro. Ahmaud Arberry, Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, the guy that lived upstairs from the female cop who walked into the "wrong apartment" and blew him away, the guy choked to death for selling cigarettes, the crazy in Rochester, 12 year old kid playing in the park....ad nauseum.
Technically speaking Ahmaud Arberry wasn't killed by cops, he was killed by three guys (two with guns, the other with a car and video camera to record the carnage) who weren't cops, but then the cops/prosecutors/etc covered it up and would've gotten away with it but they showed the video to one too many people and it leaked out.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:06 am

Technically speaking Ahmaud Arberry wasn't killed by cops, he was killed by three guys (two with guns, the other with a car and video camera to record the carnage) who weren't cops, but then the cops/prosecutors/etc covered it up and would've gotten away with it but they showed the video to one too many people and it leaked out.
The guy who shot the video gave it to one of the perps who released it intentionally believing it would exonerate them. :dunce:
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Trip, I have a few questions for you on your belief that police funds need to be moved to other agencies...

You have said some of that money needs to be be moved because police don’t need to respond to mental health calls where the person in crisis is unarmed...How does the 911 operator know definitively that the person is unarmed??? How does the 911 operator know that the person in crisis does not have access to a weapon???

One city wants to reduce their police force and have unarmed employees do all traffic violation stops...do you feel this is a safe method of enforcing these laws???

You have said police departments need to be downsized, not eliminated...but in cities like Baltimore and NYC, we have seen increases in violence, particularly in poorer neighborhoods, where leaders there are demanding more police... How do you react to those folks???

You say standards for policing need to be increased...Do you have an example that can be used for those higher standards, or is this just a talking point???
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

Defund. The. Police.
It's so easy in theory. Do you want to be the one who guesses which calls are safe for a social worker to make and which need cops when the phone call comes in to 911?

Edit: Looks like the Colonel got there before me. :nod:
Last edited by catbooster on Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

Defund. The. Police.

"They" mean literally abolish the police. Yes, obviously some people do (didn't see who wrote the opinion piece you quoted since it required registration). But one editorial doesn't mean everyone who has demonstrated. IMO it's a small minority who actually mean abolish the police. To dismiss the entire subject because of the extreme end of the supporters doesn't get us anywhere (and I say this as someone who thinks the idea is naive at best).

The use of that term is a really bad choice by those who support the more moderate interpretation because it encourages the idea to be ignored rather than seriously discussed. But hey, we like our simple slogans these days. :thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

catbooster wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:15 am IMO it's a small minority who actually mean abolish the police. To dismiss the entire subject because of the extreme end of the supporters doesn't get us anywhere (and I say this as someone who thinks the idea is naive at best).

The use of that term is a really bad choice by those who support the more moderate interpretation because it encourages the idea to be ignored rather than seriously discussed. But hey, we like our simple slogans these days. :thumb:
Folks who support the idea of police reform are doing themselves a big disservice by not speaking up against the abolish the police crowd.
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

Arberry wasn't killed by the cops. Floyd died of a fentanyl overdose. You can't provide any evidence that any of the others were executions.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Interesting video from July 2016.

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:06 am

true, the leader of the execution squad in this case is an ex-cop and his private goon squad
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CitadelGrad wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:43 pm

Arberry wasn't killed by the cops. Floyd died of a fentanyl overdose. You can't provide any evidence that any of the others were executions.
They assisted in the cover up of the execution. I bet you fapped yourself silly on that one. :coffee:

The rest were straight-up executions and the whole world saw it
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Link? Reports I've read say there was fentanyl in his system but the cause of death was heart failure.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:32 am

Link? Reports I've read say there was fentanyl in his system but the cause of death was heart failure.
Don't you own a Google?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

CitadelGrad wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:52 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:32 am
Don't you own a Google?
So you don't have any links to credible medical opinions not associated with the defense of the former cop accused of killing him?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm