Political discussions
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

$600 Unemployment Benefit

Post by dbackjon »

The extra unemployment benefit will be extended, the Dems and Reps are haggling over how much - Dems want $600, Reps are offering $200

In Arizona, the base s $240/week. Adding $600 gives you $840/week or $21/hour. This is of course well above the state minimum wage of $12/hour.

Potential Problems:

How many are looking for work but can't find full time?
How many are content to sit on their ass and collect the check, knowing that they will make more doing so?
And is this a problem because the pay companies are offering is too low?
Should there be a part-time credit? Some employers that are only offering part time hours (to avoid paying benefits, etc) are complaining they can't find help. Well duh, you are offering enough hours to kick someone off of UI benefits, but not enough to make a living.

How fair is the $600 extra weekly to those like Alex that went back to work, but could have made more sitting at home cooking for me? Should there be a partial benefit for those making less than the $21/hour?
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: $600 Unemployment Benefit

Post by Ibanez »

I see that Mrs.Graham from SC wants it higher, $500.

Must b/c his opponent is within 1 point of him in the polls. He's running scared.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:21 am The extra unemployment benefit will be extended, the Dems and Reps are haggling over how much - Dems want $600, Reps are offering $200

In Arizona, the base s $240/week. Adding $600 gives you $840/week or $21/hour. This is of course well above the state minimum wage of $12/hour.

Potential Problems:

How many are content to sit on their ass and collect the check, knowing that they will make more doing so?
Should there be a part-time credit? Some employers that are only offering part time hours (to avoid paying benefits, etc) are complaining they can't find help. Well duh, you are offering enough hours to kick someone off of UI benefits, but not enough to make a living.

How fair is the $600 extra weekly to those like Alex that went back to work, but could have made more sitting at home cooking for me? Should there be a partial benefit for those making less than the $21/hour?
Are you asking how is it fair that Alex doesn't get unemployment benefits while not unemployed?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Reduced? No.

They should be adding $600 every month the pandemic drags on for putting the American people through this sh*t, and it should be taken directly from Wall Street. You'll see every Republican and anti-masker change their tune real quick.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Well, Trip's petulant response aside, it is a tough call. I think there needs to be more as there are certainly places that are not going to restart - plenty of restaurants that are closed now are never reopening. There probably should be some targeting of this - folks in the industries hardest hit (leisure, dining, travel, etc) are the ones that aren't going back to work anytime soon and probably need it the most. Some industries are starving for workers - my plant has three help wanted signs out front for plant operators and maintenance techs, and lots of other manufacturing sites around here (PA area) are desperate as well. Business is very strong right now in spite of the pandemic. But the problem also becomes geographic - states are far from uniform in terms of unemployment compensation that they give out, so any fixed amount from the federal government is going to had substantially different impacts throughout the country.

This thing seems to be begging for a real targeted, adjustable program that can take into account differing dynamics and changes as we go forward. So something that will take longer than just a few days, and also something that will take a little ingenuity. Things that the current Congress, on both sides of the aisle, are completely wanting. I expect more thoughtless anecdotes like what Trip spewed out there and they'll go with a fixed amount less than $600 - it won't be enough for many people and it will be too much for some businesses struggling to get going, but that's what we do best as government - we piss off everyone by not being able to solve problems.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:21 am Should there be a partial benefit for those making less than the $21/hour?
Yes. The IRS knows what you made in 2019. You can't get a higher rate than that. I realize there will be some people that maybe started a new job in 2019 or just started working, so their 2019 income may not reflect what they were making in December and into 2020, but that seems to be about as fairly as you can do it. Paying people more to stay home is completely unacceptable.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:21 am The extra unemployment benefit will be extended, the Dems and Reps are haggling over how much - Dems want $600, Reps are offering $200

Potential Problems:

AZ is the 2nd lowest state. Only Mississippi is lower at $235 a week.

Max weekly unemployment benefits by state.
Massachusetts $823 (Individual) up to $1,234 (w/dependents)
Washington $790
Minnesota $740
New Jersey $713
Connecticut $649 (Individual) up to $724 (w/dependents)
Hawaii $648
Oregon $648
Colorado $618
North Dakota $618
Rhode Island $586 (Individual) to $867 (w/dependents)
Utah $580
Pennsylvania $572 (Individual) to $580 (w/dependents)
Kentucky $552
Montana $552
Oklahoma $539
Texas $521
Vermont $513
New Mexico $511
Wyoming $508
New York $504
Kansas $488
Illinois $484 (Individual) up to $667 (w/dependents)
Iowa $481 (Individual) up to $591 (w/dependents)
Ohio $480 (Individual) to $647 (w/dependents)
Nevada $469
Arkansas $451
California $450
Idaho $448
Maine $445 (Individual) up to $667 (w/dependents)
District of Columbia $444
Nebraska $440
Maryland $430
New Hampshire $427
West Virginia $424
South Dakota $414
Delaware $400
Indiana $390
Virginia $378
Alaska $370 (Individual) up to $442 (w/dependents)
Wisconsin $370
Georgia $365
Michigan $362 (w/dependents)
North Carolina $350
South Carolina $326
Missouri $320
Alabama $275
Florida $275
Louisiana $247
Arizona $240
Mississippi $235
Puerto Rico $190
https://www.savingtoinvest.com/maximum- ... -by-state/
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:31 pm

Potential Problems:

Washington $790
Minnesota $740
New Jersey $713
Hawaii $648
Oregon $648
Colorado $618
North Dakota $618
Utah $580
Kentucky $552
Montana $552
Oklahoma $539
Texas $521
Vermont $513
New Mexico $511
Wyoming $508
New York $504
Kansas $488
Nevada $469
Arkansas $451
California $450
Idaho $448
Nebraska $440
Maryland $430
New Hampshire $427
West Virginia $424
South Dakota $414
Delaware $400
Indiana $390
Virginia $378
Wisconsin $370
Georgia $365
North Carolina $350
South Carolina $326
Missouri $320
Alabama $275
Florida $275
Louisiana $247
Arizona $240
Mississippi $235
Puerto Rico $190
Keep in mind that those numbers are the max that a state will pay. Many who qualify for unemployment here don't receive $350/week. I've heard of folks getting $125/week.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:44 pm Well, Trip's petulant response aside, it is a tough call. I think there needs to be more as there are certainly places that are not going to restart - plenty of restaurants that are closed now are never reopening. There probably should be some targeting of this - folks in the industries hardest hit (leisure, dining, travel, etc) are the ones that aren't going back to work anytime soon and probably need it the most. Some industries are starving for workers - my plant has three help wanted signs out front for plant operators and maintenance techs, and lots of other manufacturing sites around here (PA area) are desperate as well. Business is very strong right now in spite of the pandemic. But the problem also becomes geographic - states are far from uniform in terms of unemployment compensation that they give out, so any fixed amount from the federal government is going to had substantially different impacts throughout the country.

This thing seems to be begging for a real targeted, adjustable program that can take into account differing dynamics and changes as we go forward. So something that will take longer than just a few days, and also something that will take a little ingenuity. Things that the current Congress, on both sides of the aisle, are completely wanting. I expect more thoughtless anecdotes like what Trip spewed out there and they'll go with a fixed amount less than $600 - it won't be enough for many people and it will be too much for some businesses struggling to get going, but that's what we do best as government - we piss off everyone by not being able to solve problems.
I like the idea. But a problem I see with that is how big of a human infrastructure you would need to invest in to administer the program. How many bureaucratic man hours would be required to ensure accuracy and equity? It might be cheaper to just pay people whatever amount is finally compromised on.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AshevilleApp wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:39 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:31 pm

Washington $790
Minnesota $740
New Jersey $713
Hawaii $648
Oregon $648
Colorado $618
North Dakota $618
Utah $580
Kentucky $552
Montana $552
Oklahoma $539
Texas $521
Vermont $513
New Mexico $511
Wyoming $508
New York $504
Kansas $488
Nevada $469
Arkansas $451
California $450
Idaho $448
Nebraska $440
Maryland $430
New Hampshire $427
West Virginia $424
South Dakota $414
Delaware $400
Indiana $390
Virginia $378
Wisconsin $370
Georgia $365
North Carolina $350
South Carolina $326
Missouri $320
Alabama $275
Florida $275
Louisiana $247
Arizona $240
Mississippi $235
Puerto Rico $190
Keep in mind that those numbers are the max that a state will pay. Many who qualify for unemployment here don't receive $350/week. I've heard of folks getting $125/week.
Then those folks must have been making below minimum wage, or not working full time all of the previous year. Below NC calculator, plugging in about $3,300 a quarter into each of the previous 4 quarters (that $13,200 a year) gets $126 a week benefits. It doesn't take a lot of income to hit the max weekly benefit.
https://fileunemployment.org/north-caro ... alculator/
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:51 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:39 pm

Then those folks must have been making below minimum wage, or not working full time all of the previous year. Below NC calculator, plugging in about $3,300 a quarter into each of the previous 4 quarters (that $13,200 a year) gets $126 a week benefits. It doesn't take a lot of income to hit the max weekly benefit.
A lot of restaurant and other type workers don't get full time hours. Companies don't want to pay benefits and really hate chancing having to pay overtime. This is a very service industry oriented area, so not a lot of money is made.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Potential Problems:

Good questions Jon.

There is no simple solution. You should not be able to make more on unemployment than you would if you were still working. That's just asinine. Are we better off not adding an extra benefit but extending the timeline and having the Feds provide additional funding?

I believe that states administer unemployment differently. When I was laid off in Illinois, I was able to substitute teach a couple of days a week without impacting my unemployment benefits (that's how I got into substitute teaching). I'm not sure every state does it that way but it was beneficial for me and didn't impact my job search.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:19 pm

Potential Problems:

Are you asking how is it fair that Alex doesn't get unemployment benefits while not unemployed?
No - asking is it fair that someone on UI makes more than Alex who is employed...
:thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AshevilleApp wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:01 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:51 pm
A lot of restaurant and other type workers don't get full time hours. Companies don't want to pay benefits and really hate chancing having to pay overtime. This is a very service industry oriented area, so not a lot of money is made.
Or reported. I figure most people only report a fraction of their tips (which is the majority of wait staff's income)..
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:14 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:01 pm

Or reported. I figure most people only report a fraction of their tips (which is the majority of wait staff's income)..
Some truth to that no doubt. :nod: Kitchen staff don't make near what waitstaff do though. And not all restaurants generate tips at all.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

AshevilleApp wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:01 pm so not a lot of money is made.
:suspicious: Working for tips has to be one of the most lucrative non-skilled jobs there is.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:14 pm Or reported. I figure most people only report a fraction of their tips (which is the majority of wait staff's income)..
I think that used to be the case when more folks used cash. I'd have to believe a vast majority of transactions at restaurants and bars are credit card, which means the establishment pays the tips on paychecks.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

89Hen wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:57 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:01 pm so not a lot of money is made.
:suspicious: Working for tips has to be one of the most lucrative non-skilled jobs there is.
Not everyone working a restaurant gets tipped out, and certainly not equably when they do. Waitstaff have it good in many places though. They also complain the most, saying "I only make $2.35 an hour". :nod: But some restaurants don't have tips at all. Do you tip people at Burger King?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

AshevilleApp wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:43 pm

Not everyone working a restaurant gets tipped out, and certainly not equably when they do. Waitstaff have it good in many places though. They also complain the most, saying "I only make $2.35 an hour". :nod: But some restaurants don't have tips at all. Do you tip people at Burger King?
I thought you were talking about actual restaurants. Hence why I said "working for tips".
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Do people at Burger King make $2.35 an hour?

NOPE. Not when In-N-Out starts at $10.90.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:52 pm

Do people at Burger King make $2.35 an hour?

NOPE. Not when In-N-Out starts at $10.90.
As I stated in an earlier post, many restaurants don't provide full time hours. And in fairness, many restaurant workers don't want full time hours.

Getting back to topic from the OP though, $600/week on top of state provided unemployment is excessive to me. I was surprised when it happened originally and assumed there was a typo with what I was reading. I thought at most it would bring someones pay up to $600/week, which btw is more than many service industry people make anyway. I do find the $600 figure interesting though. That would be 40 hours a week at $15/hour. Maybe that gives more credence to the argument for a $15 minimum wage. :D
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Has anyone noticed that the bailout out of large corporations and finance has made these companies and the investor class lazy and unwilling to work?
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:13 am Has anyone noticed that the bailout out of large corporations and finance has made these companies and the investor class lazy and unwilling to work?
There you go, bringing class into it again. :roll:

Nice feint.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

kalm wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:13 am Has anyone noticed that the bailout out of large corporations and finance has made these companies and the investor class lazy and unwilling to work?
Did they work to start with? :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:17 am
There you go, bringing class into it again. :roll:

Nice feint.
:lol: