Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:57 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:20 pm Cancelling inauguration rehearsal due to a homeless site catching on fire. How far removed from reality does one have to be?
A good example of how news outlets spin a story to suit their needs. My local news reported that it was a homeless site, no big deal. The ABC national news, made no mention of what fire actually was. They carefully worded it to make it sound like it was something sinister. National Guard, heightened security, riots, fire.... :ohno: :coffee:
They've got to get that spin out quickly.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:00 am

A good example of how news outlets spin a story to suit their needs. My local news reported that it was a homeless site, no big deal. The ABC national news, made no mention of what fire actually was. They carefully worded it to make it sound like it was something sinister. National Guard, heightened security, riots, fire.... :ohno: :coffee:
Gotta show those 25,000 troops were protecting democracy!! Without them, DC would a ablaze due to that encampment fire.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:50 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:46 pm
So Trump supporters are NAZIs?
Only a very small few are.
You're one of the very small few liberals who will admit that.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:20 pm Cancelling inauguration rehearsal due to a homeless site catching on fire. How far removed from reality does one have to be?
Does it worry anyone else that Grampa Badfinger will soon have his finger on the nuke button? The guy closed down his rehearsal because of a homeless encampment fire...with 25,000 troops and a fence surrounding him.

Heaven forbid anyone startles him by coughing.

89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:51 am

Does it worry anyone else that Grampa Badfinger will soon have his finger on the nuke button? The guy closed down his rehearsal because of a homeless encampment fire...with 25,000 troops and a fence surrounding him.

No. That's just something both oppositions say.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88

Post by UNI88 »

Less than it has for the last 4 years with the crazy uncle having his tiny little finger on the button. It's well documented how he likes to stick his finger on buttons where it doesn't belong. And there was always the risk that he would decide to nuke some country whose visiting head of state turned down the opportunity to stay at a Trump property despite the US government picking up the tab at 3x the rack rate. :)
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:17 am

Less than it has for the last 4 years with the crazy uncle having his tiny little finger on the button. It's well documented how he likes to stick his finger on buttons where it doesn't belong. And there was always the risk that he would decide to nuke some country whose visiting head of state turned down the opportunity to stay at a Trump property despite the US government picking up the tab at 3x the rack rate. :)
I can see your point...if it doesn't support MAGA baby!

Also realized Grampa Badfinger might simply forget which room has the button, so that reduces my worries.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Eh, we're used to hitting the hyperbole button now these days, and ABCNews is like a case study in how to make the nightly 30 minutes news segment as sensationalized as possible. Peter Jennings must be rolling over in his grave.

But hey, we're sensationalized all the time now. I don't want to minimize the Capitol storming by the mob last week, but I also think you can make a pretty easy argument that we've grossly over-responded to that and any threat going forward. Completely shutting down DC and the Mall area, and bringing in 25,000 troops, and then floating the idea that there could be "sleeper" agents somewhere in the 25k, seems to be a vast overreaction IMO. We routinely, well, pre-pandemic we did, have tens of thousands of folks assemble every week in sports stadiums, we've had heads of state and Popes and so on come here, drive around in the open, and we've managed to securely do that without turning a whole city into a military barracks. I get it that Trumpsters are weird and scary, but I also get it that we've gone completely overboard in response to them. We need to find a way to be able to get on with the business of getting on with things without worrying that we're inches away from the apocalypse - because we're not that close.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:32 am

Eh, we're used to hitting the hyperbole button now these days, and ABCNews is like a case study in how to make the nightly 30 minutes news segment as sensationalized as possible. Peter Jennings must be rolling over in his grave.

But hey, we're sensationalized all the time now. I don't want to minimize the Capitol storming by the mob last week, but I also think you can make a pretty easy argument that we've grossly over-responded to that and any threat going forward. Completely shutting down DC and the Mall area, and bringing in 25,000 troops, and then floating the idea that there could be "sleeper" agents somewhere in the 25k, seems to be a vast overreaction IMO. We routinely, well, pre-pandemic we did, have tens of thousands of folks assemble every week in sports stadiums, we've had heads of state and Popes and so on come here, drive around in the open, and we've managed to securely do that without turning a whole city into a military barracks.
And GF gets the award for "Massive Understatement of the Year", and it's only the 19th of January.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:22 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:17 am

Also realized Grampa Badfinger might simply forget which room has the button, so that reduces my worries.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Grampa Badfinger...I don't get it but I love it. :clap:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:03 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:22 am

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Grampa Badfinger...I don't get it but I love it. :clap:
Thanks, but I heard it elsewhere. Wish I could claim it as original thought.
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:32 am I don't want to minimize the Capitol storming by the mob last week, but I also think you can make a pretty easy argument that we've grossly over-responded to that and any threat going forward.
Folks definitely did.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:55 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:50 pm
Sorry to disappoint you, but there’s about zero chance Trump is going to be convicted in the Senate, or in a real court.
-FBI said it was planned beforehand.
-Trump began his speech after the storming of the Capitol began
-He never said ‘Go storm/ransack/attack’ the Capitol building.
NYT has a pretty good timeline of the day, with video.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... eline.html

People began leaving abut 20 minutes into his speech.

However, I think the real support comes from the people who are on video, in the Senate asking what Trump wants them to do. Or the people that have said after the fact that they were following Trump. It looks like a case can be made that Trumps rhetoric over the past months contributed to it all.

There's no way he gets convicted in the Senate. The best thing to do is ignore him. Like a toddler throwing a tantrum, just ignore them.
Nor in any court of law, which has a higher standard.
And when this kangeroo court in going on in the Senate, without consent from all 100 Senators, no other Senate work or votes can be done.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:12 am

However, I think the real support comes from the people who are on video, in the Senate asking what Trump wants them to do. Or the people that have said after the fact that they were following Trump. It looks like a case can be made that Trumps rhetoric over the past months contributed to it all.

There's no way he gets convicted in the Senate. The best thing to do is ignore him. Like a toddler throwing a tantrum, just ignore them.
And when this kangeroo court in going on in the Senate, without consent from all 100 Senators, no other Senate work or votes can be done.
Have the last 3 Democratic Senators been sworn in yet? is 100% consent required by our constitution?

It's interesting that now McConnel is speaking out and even saying that Trump provoked the mob. Mitch is a smart man - I think he understands the calculus has changed and he can be critical. :twocents:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:04 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:32 am I don't want to minimize the Capitol storming by the mob last week, but I also think you can make a pretty easy argument that we've grossly over-responded to that and any threat going forward.
Folks definitely did.
Folks tend to overreact to fascism.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:07 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:00 am

Gotta show those 25,000 troops were protecting democracy!! Without them, DC would a ablaze due to that encampment fire.
And then this on CNN from a donk congressman: Too many white guys in the national guard that voted for Trump, so they can't be trusted..
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/01/18 ... n-1018113/
Last edited by BDKJMU on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

His kickass legal team will carry the day!
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Now you're just queefing because you're butthurt, you don't really mean it. :coffee:
Subvert the dominant paradigm
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:19 am
They gotta be shakin in their boots about the looming confrontation with a legal Goliath like Rudy.. :shock:
Subvert the dominant paradigm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:16 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:04 am

Folks definitely did.
And folks tend to overreact by falsely claiming things to be fascism. It's what all the cool kids are doing. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

The Elite Strike Force is just about ready to pounce with the Kracken.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:24 am
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:16 am

And folks tend to overreact by falsely claiming things to be fascism. It's what all the cool kids are doing. :coffee:
Trump and his followers check damn near all the boxes from nationalism, corporatism, to sewing division. But hey, at least he didn’t invade Poland.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:20 am

Now you're just queefing because you're butthurt, you don't really mean it. :coffee:
Of course I don't mean it, I'm just using similar hyperbole that our elected officials and media use.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

You do know his kickass legal teams quit due to threats?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:39 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:24 am
Trump and his followers check damn near all the boxes from nationalism, corporatism, to sewing division. But hey, at least he didn’t invade Poland.
Sewing division ...

Is that why Nike pulled the shoes?

:lol: