2020 General Election

Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 56346
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:57 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:20 pm Cancelling inauguration rehearsal due to a homeless site catching on fire. How far removed from reality does one have to be?
A good example of how news outlets spin a story to suit their needs. My local news reported that it was a homeless site, no big deal. The ABC national news, made no mention of what fire actually was. They carefully worded it to make it sound like it was something sinister. National Guard, heightened security, riots, fire.... :ohno: :coffee:
They've got to get that spin out quickly.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
User avatar
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10457
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:41 am
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:00 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:57 am

A good example of how news outlets spin a story to suit their needs. My local news reported that it was a homeless site, no big deal. The ABC national news, made no mention of what fire actually was. They carefully worded it to make it sound like it was something sinister. National Guard, heightened security, riots, fire.... :ohno: :coffee:
They've got to get that spin out quickly.
Gotta show those 25,000 troops were protecting democracy!! Without them, DC would a ablaze due to that encampment fire.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 37021
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:50 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:46 pm
So Trump supporters are NAZIs?
Only a very small few are.
You're one of the very small few liberals who will admit that.
Image
User avatar
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10457
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:41 am
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by SeattleGriz »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:57 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:20 pm Cancelling inauguration rehearsal due to a homeless site catching on fire. How far removed from reality does one have to be?
A good example of how news outlets spin a story to suit their needs. My local news reported that it was a homeless site, no big deal. The ABC national news, made no mention of what fire actually was. They carefully worded it to make it sound like it was something sinister. National Guard, heightened security, riots, fire.... :ohno: :coffee:
Does it worry anyone else that Grampa Badfinger will soon have his finger on the nuke button? The guy closed down his rehearsal because of a homeless encampment fire...with 25,000 troops and a fence surrounding him.

Heaven forbid anyone startles him by coughing.

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 37021
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by 89Hen »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:51 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:57 am

A good example of how news outlets spin a story to suit their needs. My local news reported that it was a homeless site, no big deal. The ABC national news, made no mention of what fire actually was. They carefully worded it to make it sound like it was something sinister. National Guard, heightened security, riots, fire.... :ohno: :coffee:
Does it worry anyone else that Grampa Badfinger will soon have his finger on the nuke button? The guy closed down his rehearsal because of a homeless encampment fire...with 25,000 troops and a fence surrounding him.

Heaven forbid anyone startles him by coughing.
No. That's just something both oppositions say.
Image
User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10444
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:51 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:57 am
A good example of how news outlets spin a story to suit their needs. My local news reported that it was a homeless site, no big deal. The ABC national news, made no mention of what fire actually was. They carefully worded it to make it sound like it was something sinister. National Guard, heightened security, riots, fire.... :ohno: :coffee:
Does it worry anyone else that Grampa Badfinger will soon have his finger on the nuke button? The guy closed down his rehearsal because of a homeless encampment fire...with 25,000 troops and a fence surrounding him.

Heaven forbid anyone startles him by coughing.
Less than it has for the last 4 years with the crazy uncle having his tiny little finger on the button. It's well documented how he likes to stick his finger on buttons where it doesn't belong. And there was always the risk that he would decide to nuke some country whose visiting head of state turned down the opportunity to stay at a Trump property despite the US government picking up the tab at 3x the rack rate. :)
User avatar
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10457
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:41 am
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:17 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:51 am

Does it worry anyone else that Grampa Badfinger will soon have his finger on the nuke button? The guy closed down his rehearsal because of a homeless encampment fire...with 25,000 troops and a fence surrounding him.

Heaven forbid anyone startles him by coughing.
Less than it has for the last 4 years with the crazy uncle having his tiny little finger on the button. It's well documented how he likes to stick his finger on buttons where it doesn't belong. And there was always the risk that he would decide to nuke some country whose visiting head of state turned down the opportunity to stay at a Trump property despite the US government picking up the tab at 3x the rack rate. :)
I can see your point...if it doesn't support MAGA baby!

Also realized Grampa Badfinger might simply forget which room has the button, so that reduces my worries.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14950
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:57 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:20 pm Cancelling inauguration rehearsal due to a homeless site catching on fire. How far removed from reality does one have to be?
A good example of how news outlets spin a story to suit their needs. My local news reported that it was a homeless site, no big deal. The ABC national news, made no mention of what fire actually was. They carefully worded it to make it sound like it was something sinister. National Guard, heightened security, riots, fire.... :ohno: :coffee:
Eh, we're used to hitting the hyperbole button now these days, and ABCNews is like a case study in how to make the nightly 30 minutes news segment as sensationalized as possible. Peter Jennings must be rolling over in his grave.

But hey, we're sensationalized all the time now. I don't want to minimize the Capitol storming by the mob last week, but I also think you can make a pretty easy argument that we've grossly over-responded to that and any threat going forward. Completely shutting down DC and the Mall area, and bringing in 25,000 troops, and then floating the idea that there could be "sleeper" agents somewhere in the 25k, seems to be a vast overreaction IMO. We routinely, well, pre-pandemic we did, have tens of thousands of folks assemble every week in sports stadiums, we've had heads of state and Popes and so on come here, drive around in the open, and we've managed to securely do that without turning a whole city into a military barracks. I get it that Trumpsters are weird and scary, but I also get it that we've gone completely overboard in response to them. We need to find a way to be able to get on with the business of getting on with things without worrying that we're inches away from the apocalypse - because we're not that close.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 55308
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:32 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:57 am

A good example of how news outlets spin a story to suit their needs. My local news reported that it was a homeless site, no big deal. The ABC national news, made no mention of what fire actually was. They carefully worded it to make it sound like it was something sinister. National Guard, heightened security, riots, fire.... :ohno: :coffee:
Eh, we're used to hitting the hyperbole button now these days, and ABCNews is like a case study in how to make the nightly 30 minutes news segment as sensationalized as possible. Peter Jennings must be rolling over in his grave.

But hey, we're sensationalized all the time now. I don't want to minimize the Capitol storming by the mob last week, but I also think you can make a pretty easy argument that we've grossly over-responded to that and any threat going forward. Completely shutting down DC and the Mall area, and bringing in 25,000 troops, and then floating the idea that there could be "sleeper" agents somewhere in the 25k, seems to be a vast overreaction IMO. We routinely, well, pre-pandemic we did, have tens of thousands of folks assemble every week in sports stadiums, we've had heads of state and Popes and so on come here, drive around in the open, and we've managed to securely do that without turning a whole city into a military barracks.
And GF gets the award for "Massive Understatement of the Year", and it's only the 19th of January.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 56346
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by Ibanez »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:22 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:17 am

Less than it has for the last 4 years with the crazy uncle having his tiny little finger on the button. It's well documented how he likes to stick his finger on buttons where it doesn't belong. And there was always the risk that he would decide to nuke some country whose visiting head of state turned down the opportunity to stay at a Trump property despite the US government picking up the tab at 3x the rack rate. :)
I can see your point...if it doesn't support MAGA baby!

Also realized Grampa Badfinger might simply forget which room has the button, so that reduces my worries.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Grampa Badfinger...I don't get it but I love it. :clap:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
User avatar
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10457
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:41 am
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:03 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:22 am

I can see your point...if it doesn't support MAGA baby!

Also realized Grampa Badfinger might simply forget which room has the button, so that reduces my worries.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Grampa Badfinger...I don't get it but I love it. :clap:
Thanks, but I heard it elsewhere. Wish I could claim it as original thought.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 37021
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:32 am I don't want to minimize the Capitol storming by the mob last week, but I also think you can make a pretty easy argument that we've grossly over-responded to that and any threat going forward.
Folks definitely did.
Image
User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 19538
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:55 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:50 pm
Sorry to disappoint you, but there’s about zero chance Trump is going to be convicted in the Senate, or in a real court.
-FBI said it was planned beforehand.
-Trump began his speech after the storming of the Capitol began
-He never said ‘Go storm/ransack/attack’ the Capitol building.
NYT has a pretty good timeline of the day, with video.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... eline.html

People began leaving abut 20 minutes into his speech.

However, I think the real support comes from the people who are on video, in the Senate asking what Trump wants them to do. Or the people that have said after the fact that they were following Trump. It looks like a case can be made that Trumps rhetoric over the past months contributed to it all.

There's no way he gets convicted in the Senate. The best thing to do is ignore him. Like a toddler throwing a tantrum, just ignore them.
Nor in any court of law, which has a higher standard.
And when this kangeroo court in going on in the Senate, without consent from all 100 Senators, no other Senate work or votes can be done.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 56346
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:12 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:55 am

NYT has a pretty good timeline of the day, with video.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... eline.html

People began leaving abut 20 minutes into his speech.

However, I think the real support comes from the people who are on video, in the Senate asking what Trump wants them to do. Or the people that have said after the fact that they were following Trump. It looks like a case can be made that Trumps rhetoric over the past months contributed to it all.

There's no way he gets convicted in the Senate. The best thing to do is ignore him. Like a toddler throwing a tantrum, just ignore them.
Nor in any court of law, which has a higher standard.
And when this kangeroo court in going on in the Senate, without consent from all 100 Senators, no other Senate work or votes can be done.
Have the last 3 Democratic Senators been sworn in yet? is 100% consent required by our constitution?

It's interesting that now McConnel is speaking out and even saying that Trump provoked the mob. Mitch is a smart man - I think he understands the calculus has changed and he can be critical. :twocents:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48396
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:04 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:32 am I don't want to minimize the Capitol storming by the mob last week, but I also think you can make a pretty easy argument that we've grossly over-responded to that and any threat going forward.
Folks definitely did.
Folks tend to overreact to fascism.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 19538
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by BDKJMU »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:07 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:00 am

They've got to get that spin out quickly.
Gotta show those 25,000 troops were protecting democracy!! Without them, DC would a ablaze due to that encampment fire.
And then this on CNN from a donk congressman: Too many white guys in the national guard that voted for Trump, so they can't be trusted..
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/01/18 ... n-1018113/
Last edited by BDKJMU on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48396
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:12 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:55 am

NYT has a pretty good timeline of the day, with video.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... eline.html

People began leaving abut 20 minutes into his speech.

However, I think the real support comes from the people who are on video, in the Senate asking what Trump wants them to do. Or the people that have said after the fact that they were following Trump. It looks like a case can be made that Trumps rhetoric over the past months contributed to it all.

There's no way he gets convicted in the Senate. The best thing to do is ignore him. Like a toddler throwing a tantrum, just ignore them.
Nor in any court of law, which has a higher standard.
And when this kangeroo court in going on in the Senate, without consent from all 100 Senators, no other Senate work or votes can be done.
His kickass legal team will carry the day!
Image
Image
Image
houndawg
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17965
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 pm
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg
Location: Egypt

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:51 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:57 am

A good example of how news outlets spin a story to suit their needs. My local news reported that it was a homeless site, no big deal. The ABC national news, made no mention of what fire actually was. They carefully worded it to make it sound like it was something sinister. National Guard, heightened security, riots, fire.... :ohno: :coffee:
Does it worry anyone else that Grampa Badfinger will soon have his finger on the nuke button? The guy closed down his rehearsal because of a homeless encampment fire...with 25,000 troops and a fence surrounding him.

Heaven forbid anyone startles him by coughing.

Now you're just queefing because you're butthurt, you don't really mean it. :coffee:
Subvert the dominant paradigm
houndawg
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17965
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 pm
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg
Location: Egypt

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:19 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:12 am
Nor in any court of law, which has a higher standard.
And when this kangeroo court in going on in the Senate, without consent from all 100 Senators, no other Senate work or votes can be done.
His kickass legal team will carry the day!
They gotta be shakin in their boots about the looming confrontation with a legal Goliath like Rudy.. :shock:
Subvert the dominant paradigm
User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14950
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:16 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:04 am

Folks definitely did.
Folks tend to overreact to fascism.
And folks tend to overreact by falsely claiming things to be fascism. It's what all the cool kids are doing. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 56346
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:19 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:12 am
Nor in any court of law, which has a higher standard.
And when this kangeroo court in going on in the Senate, without consent from all 100 Senators, no other Senate work or votes can be done.
His kickass legal team will carry the day!
The Elite Strike Force is just about ready to pounce with the Kracken.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48396
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:24 am
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:16 am

Folks tend to overreact to fascism.
And folks tend to overreact by falsely claiming things to be fascism. It's what all the cool kids are doing. :coffee:
Trump and his followers check damn near all the boxes from nationalism, corporatism, to sewing division. But hey, at least he didn’t invade Poland.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10457
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:41 am
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:20 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:51 am

Does it worry anyone else that Grampa Badfinger will soon have his finger on the nuke button? The guy closed down his rehearsal because of a homeless encampment fire...with 25,000 troops and a fence surrounding him.

Heaven forbid anyone startles him by coughing.

Now you're just queefing because you're butthurt, you don't really mean it. :coffee:
Of course I don't mean it, I'm just using similar hyperbole that our elected officials and media use.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
User avatar
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10457
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:41 am
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:19 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:12 am
Nor in any court of law, which has a higher standard.
And when this kangeroo court in going on in the Senate, without consent from all 100 Senators, no other Senate work or votes can be done.
His kickass legal team will carry the day!
You do know his kickass legal teams quit due to threats?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10444
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:39 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:24 am
And folks tend to overreact by falsely claiming things to be fascism. It's what all the cool kids are doing. :coffee:
Trump and his followers check damn near all the boxes from nationalism, corporatism, to sewing division. But hey, at least he didn’t invade Poland.
Sewing division ...
Image

Is that why Nike pulled the shoes?

:lol:
Post Reply