HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by HI54UNI »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:38 am
kalm wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:39 am And here in conk central Eastern Washington, I’ve experienced the opposite. Apolitical types and young voters are suddenly following politics. Dems are well ahead in new voter registrations in most states (including swing states) which are demographically under 40 (a group that Trump doesn’t do well with), the active duty military polling has swung 20 points in favor of the Dems since 2016. How is he doing with women?
It's kind of fascinating. Trump has slightly increased his support with Latinos, but the reason Biden's polling well is due to a jump in support from white and older people (specifically women and college-educated). Of course, whites are still the dominant voter base so any percent increase there is going to be orders of magnitude larger than other demographics.

Young people may vote more this year, but I'm not convinced it'll be significant. Hope I'm wrong.
Turnout of young people is going to be hard to predict. With many young doing college virtually from home will they have the same motivation to vote if they aren't seeing the get out the vote campaigns like they would at college?
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:34 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:38 am

It's kind of fascinating. Trump has slightly increased his support with Latinos, but the reason Biden's polling well is due to a jump in support from white and older people (specifically women and college-educated). Of course, whites are still the dominant voter base so any percent increase there is going to be orders of magnitude larger than other demographics.

Young people may vote more this year, but I'm not convinced it'll be significant. Hope I'm wrong.
Turnout of young people is going to be hard to predict. With many young doing college virtually from home will they have the same motivation to vote if they aren't seeing the get out the vote campaigns like they would at college?
There's nothing hard to predict - young people, like they have done in every election since they could vote, will be relatively low and far lower than their numbers should be. It's literally happened in every election to date. It's no longer a trend, but a reality. And why would this election be any different? Who should a young person vote for? An incumbent President who has trouble forming coherent thoughts and lashes out routinely on Twitter, or his opponent who has trouble walking across a stage without assistance (for fear of falling and breaking a hip) and also has trouble forming coherent thoughts thanks to a worsening dementia? There's really no appeal to young voters on either side of the aisle so why vote at all?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I just finished listening to Trump's town hall from yesterday.

Y'all think Biden is bad? Trump literally can't put two thoughts together and speak in complete sentences anymore. I think he's got rally points memorized ''cause I genuinely thinks he has dementia after listening to the town hall.

Biden makes old people gaffes (which the right jumps on), but he makes sense 99% of the time. Trump is literally incoherent.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:39 pm I just finished listening to Trump's town hall from yesterday.

Y'all think Biden is bad? Trump literally can't put two thoughts together and speak in complete sentences anymore. I think he's got the angry rally thing memorized - maybe feels at home there - 'cause I genuinely thinks he has dementia after listening to the town hall.

I listen to Biden; he makes old people gaffes (which the right jumps on), but he makes sense 99% of the time. Trump is literally incoherent.
You obvioulsy didn‘t listen to Biden on The View. It was a whole litany of incomplete sentences and incoherent rambling.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:43 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:39 pm I just finished listening to Trump's town hall from yesterday.

Y'all think Biden is bad? Trump literally can't put two thoughts together and speak in complete sentences anymore. I think he's got the angry rally thing memorized - maybe feels at home there - 'cause I genuinely thinks he has dementia after listening to the town hall.

I listen to Biden; he makes old people gaffes (which the right jumps on), but he makes sense 99% of the time. Trump is literally incoherent.
You obvioulsy didn‘t listen to Biden on The View. It was a whole litany of incomplete sentences and incoherent rambling.
I literally listen to both Biden and Trump all the time on NPR, C-SPAN (live), and through random media.

The View interview wasn't great 'cause he didn't answer the question and made a non-apology, but it was coherent:

It was also only one segment of the entire interview, one of which he was asked a tough question (and stumbled). Why don't you listen to rest of the one hour interview, or others?

Trump was literally incoherent last night quite a few times. I can't find a video from yesterday, but here's a transcript of one exchange where his incoherence blew me away (and this was only one of many):
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

STEPHANOPOULOS: The next one comes Flora Cruceta. She's from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. She has not voted before because she just became a citizen.

TRUMP: Oh, very good.

CRUCETA: Thank you so much. Hi, Mr. President and…

TRUMP: Thank you.

CRUCETA: Mr. George. My name is Flora Cruceta . I'm sorry if I can't hold my…hold my tears…

TRUMP: I love…I love what you just did.

CRUCETA: I came in 2006 with my mom from Dominican Republic…sorry.

TRUMP: That's all right. And just take your time, that's fine. George has plenty of time, I hope, right?

STEPHANOPOULOS: Absolutely.

TRUMP: Thank you. Did you say your mom got COVID? Your mom?

CRUCETA: We come from Dominican Republic in 2006 to live our American dream. But she forgot how to take care of herself and she died last month..I'm sorry.

TRUMP: Terrible. And that's OK. It's OK.

CRUCETA: She had breast cancer but it made metastases on her brain, bone, and lungs and she passed on the 19th. One of her biggest dreams was to become a citizen to vote, and she did. She did, 10 days before she died. And I did it too. She pushed me so hard to do it and I did it this past 28th.

I'm here because of her. She was supposed to be here and ask you and thank you for this -- if they should take -- during this epidemic, you made people closer. We lost our jobs but we learned how to love our family. So I'm saying that from her.

TRUMP: Very nice.

CRUCETA: Her question for you was -- because she write this question -- what will you do for our immigration system? What will you change to make more people, like me and like her, to become citizens and vote?

TRUMP: So we are doing something with immigration that I think is going to be very strong because we want people to come into our country, people like you and like your mother. And that just shows how vicious the COVID is, especially when you have another problem, you have a heart problem or another type of a problem.

And it’s a very sad story but we want people to come into our country. We want them to come in -- a lot of people but we want them to come in through a legal system. Through a system that -- they love our country. They work to come into our country.

A merit system and we’re working on something very hard right now. And in a very short time we’re going to be announcing it. And I think it’s going to have quite an impact. I think it’s going to be something that actually will be popular for all.

I mean as far as your situation with your mother, that is just devastating because I can imagine how you feel and it sounds like a great woman and I’ll tell you she.. and I can…I’m pretty good with people.

She gave us a great daughter, a great child, what she’s done with you, the way you are. The love that you have for your mother, I can see that, it’s hard. And so many people and they die alone. They die alone because this is such a vicious thing. You can’t go there and hold their hand.

You can’t give them a kiss good night. It’s a terrible, terrible thing. And hopefully the vaccines are going to be very soon, hopefully. Did you have COVID? You didn’t have it right?

CRUCETA: No.

TRUMP: You didn’t have it, your mother. We’ll have it taken care of. It’s going to get taken care of. The vaccines are going to make a big difference. What has made a big difference is Remdesivir.

We have many things now and things are going to be announced here, which frankly if you take a look at some of the things we’re doing in terms of -- the word wouldn’t be cure but the word be therapeutically or therapeutics, we have some incredible things happening, which is so important.

And I view that actually in a certain way as more important than the vaccine where you can into a hospital and get your mother and give her a transfusion on a shot and they can get better -- get better much faster.

So we have some of those things and they’ve been very, very successful. But we have others coming out. And in order to get them, we had to get the FDA to approve this product, these very sophisticated medicines and I guess you could call them a medicine.

But we had to get them approved very quickly and they did it. Dr. Hahn, the head of the FDA, Alex Azar, they’ve really done a fantastic job. I believe, George, that none of this would have happened in another administration.

We -- and I think you know that. The FDA is approving things at a level that they’ve never done and a speed with which they’ve never acted before.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:40 am Who should a young person vote for? An incumbent President who has trouble forming coherent thoughts and lashes out routinely on Twitter, or his opponent who has trouble walking across a stage without assistance (for fear of falling and breaking a hip) and also has trouble forming coherent thoughts thanks to a worsening dementia? There's really no appeal to young voters on either side of the aisle so why vote at all?
You are promoting a false narrative. Biden is in much better shape than Trump is physically. If either of them has to worry about losing balance and falling it is much more Trump than Biden. Biden if very physically fit for an old guy. Trump is not. Also, again, Biden is showing no signs of dementia. If you watched him answer questions after his press conference today you know that.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Member of the Trump cult will say this just means Scientific American is part of the fake news media. But here it is:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... joe-biden/

It's the oldest continuously published monthly magazine in the United States. It is highly credible. It has never before endorsed a candidate in its 175 year history. But this is part of what it has to say about this election:
Scientific American has never endorsed a presidential candidate in its 175-year history. This year we are compelled to do so. We do not do this lightly.

The evidence and the science show that Donald Trump has badly damaged the U.S. and its people—because he rejects evidence and science.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

We have reached the point where, unfortunately, the Republican Party and what we call the "conservative movement" can accurately be called "the flat Earth society." It's basically rationale people vs. people who are in a misinformation bubble.
Could I ever be a star?

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:06 pm We have reached the point where, unfortunately, the Republican Party and what we call the "conservative movement" can accurately be called "the flat Earth society." It's basically rationale people vs. people who are in a misinformation bubble.

That's a wide swath there Mrs Clinton. There are lot of conservatives and Republican's that do not follow the Trump cult.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Didn't think Col Hogan would follow PinkNews on Twitter.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:56 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:40 am Who should a young person vote for? An incumbent President who has trouble forming coherent thoughts and lashes out routinely on Twitter, or his opponent who has trouble walking across a stage without assistance (for fear of falling and breaking a hip) and also has trouble forming coherent thoughts thanks to a worsening dementia? There's really no appeal to young voters on either side of the aisle so why vote at all?
You are promoting a false narrative. Biden is in much better shape than Trump is physically. If either of them has to worry about losing balance and falling it is much more Trump than Biden. Biden if very physically fit for an old guy. Trump is not. Also, again, Biden is showing no signs of dementia. If you watched him answer questions after his press conference today you know that.
I'm convinced few have watched Biden or Trump beside short/edited clips, or they're being purposefully disingenuous.

If we're honest with ourselves, it's easy to tell which of the two has an ability to put complex thoughts and sentences together. It ain't Trump, that's for sure. Plus Biden has made silly gaffes his entire career (it's kinda what he's known for). To use that as a case for dementia now is dumb, especially when you can see and hear for yourself which of the two is more mentally intact.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:07 pm Didn't think Col Hogan would follow PinkNews on Twitter.
The poll was self-reported, including the "where do you live" and "are you an American citizen" questions. I definitely go to second-tier gay dating apps for all my reliable polling information.

In completely unrelated news, Hornet just started off in the US and its current largest market is...Russia. :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Him and Trump are the same in that regard. They both are awful choices for POTUS.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:35 am
Him and Trump are the same in that regard. They both are awful choices for POTUS.
Indeed, this bending over backwards to try to make Biden seem like a Rhodes Scholar is incredible. JSO and Trip are trying to actually convince themselves that Biden hasn't been impacted significantly by old age just because they are so repelled by Trump. I agree, they both suck and I'm actually angry that we're left with these two as the voting options for this year. We took 2016, felt challenged that 2016 was the worst pair of Presidential candidates ever, and we did everything possible to meet that challenge and have 2020 measure right up there with that one. Brutal.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:23 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:35 am

Indeed, this bending over backwards to try to make Biden seem like a Rhodes Scholar is incredible. JSO and Trip are trying to actually convince themselves that Biden hasn't been impacted significantly by old age just because they are so repelled by Trump. I agree, they both suck and I'm actually angry that we're left with these two as the voting options for this year. We took 2016, felt challenged that 2016 was the worst pair of Presidential candidates ever, and we did everything possible to meet that challenge and have 2020 measure right up there with that one. Brutal.
I'm probably not voting for Biden (still undecided), but it's ridiculous to think he's going through a major mental decline. He sometimes thinks harder to find a thought - basically normal sh*t you see with old people - but the cognitive functions are all there. Even if we disagree with his ideas, he can elaborate on complex issues and dive deep into them.

Trump literally can't put thoughts together anymore, at least none that aren't his "go to" talking points.

I think - for whatever reason - it's you whose convinced themselves that Biden is going through some significant decline.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:28 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:23 am

I'm probably not voting for Biden (still undecided), but it's ridiculous to think he's going through some major mental decline. He's a little slower, sometimes thinks harder for a word - basically normal sh*t you see with old people - but the cognitive functions are definitely all there.

It's you who's convinced yourself that it's something deeper than that.
I've seen Biden for most of his 5 decades or so in public office, being from Delaware originally. Even met him outside of some UD football games. He's a shell of the guy he was in his younger days (you know, those days when no one actually wanted him to be President). Keep those blinders on and pretend it hasn't happened. It's fine to admit someone wants someone, anyone, other than Trump - that's a valid course of deciding how to vote - but it's also valid that Biden is greatly diminished from who he was. He's a walking 25th amendment candidate from day 1.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ok GF, you do you. I don't doubt Biden isn't as sprite or quick-witted anymore - that comes with age - but you're not going to sit here and convince me that something I can see with my own eyes and hear with my own ears - day after day - is something different than it is.

I listen to the the town halls, I watch the live streams, I hear the interviews...one person may be slower than he once was but at least he can elaborate on questions, connect different dots, follow conversations, talk in complete sentences...

...the other just yells, goes off-topic, speaks broken English, and jumps from thought to random thought.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:42 am Ok GF, you do you. I don't doubt Biden isn't as sprite or quick-witted anymore - that comes with age - but you're not going to sit here and convince me that something I can see with my own eyes and hear with my own ears - day after day - is something different than it is.

I listen to the the town halls, I watch the live streams, I hear the interviews...one person may be slower than he once was but at least he can elaborate on questions, connect different dots, follow conversations, talk in complete sentences...

...the other just yells, goes off-topic, speaks broken English, and jumps from thought to random thought.
Yes, that's the problem with nominating someone who, if he miraculously serves the whole four years, will spend more than half of his Presidency in his 80's. Age is a very real issue. We've already seen the negative impact of geriatrics in the legislative branch, we're about to potentially see it in the executive as well.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

How many people making excuses for Biden were saying McCain was too old in 2008, I wonder?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:08 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:42 am Ok GF, you do you. I don't doubt Biden isn't as sprite or quick-witted anymore - that comes with age - but you're not going to sit here and convince me that something I can see with my own eyes and hear with my own ears - day after day - is something different than it is.

Yes, that's the problem with nominating someone who, if he miraculously serves the whole four years, will spend more than half of his Presidency in his 80's. Age is a very real issue. We've already seen the negative impact of geriatrics in the legislative branch, we're about to potentially see it in the executive as well.
Oddly enough, it's the Supreme Court where age (or cognitive abilities) matter most because of the small number of decision makers, without the support of "administration advisors". And that's a lifetime appointment.

#AdministrationPoliciesMatter
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Pwns wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:13 am How many people making excuses for Biden were saying McCain was too old in 2008, I wonder?
Eh, at least Biden was a decent thinker when he was younger, I never got the impression that McCain was all that intelligent even in his prime.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:15 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:08 am

Oddly enough, it's the Supreme Court where age (or cognitive abilities) matter most because of the small number of decision makers, without the support of "administration advisors". And that's a lifetime appointment.

#AdministrationPoliciesMatter
They have support, they get a new batch of law clerks every year. Who do you think does most of the research for them, regardless of age? And at least with the Supreme Court we don't have the watch the decision making in real time - no tv and they can take all session to come up with their answer.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:07 am
Pwns wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:13 am How many people making excuses for Biden were saying McCain was too old in 2008, I wonder?
Eh, at least Biden was a decent thinker when he was younger, I never got the impression that McCain was all that intelligent even in his prime.
Every decent thought Biden had "when he was younger" was plagiarized. :nod: :nod: :nod:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12