Cancel Culture thread

Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54065
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:31 am
GannonFan wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:01 am


Is that even a news source? Where do people find these weird sites? The echo chambers are really insulated these days. :ohno:

And regardless, Biden is already Teflon for these types of things - he sent his kids to a white private school to avoid busing into the inner city with Black kids in the '70's, he plagiarized political speeches in the late '80's in a previous run for President, he authored the crime bill and labeled people super predators that led to a generation of Black youths being committed to the criminal justice system, and he sexually harassed women. And he's clearly suffering a mental decline likely due to his advanced age. And he'll likely be elected President in November because the current office holder is at least equally repugnant. Political institutions have and are failing us. :ohno:
Yeah, none of that stuff that Joe did in the 70s, 80s, 90s matters. But presentism does, and on the campaign trail, press conferences, debates this fall when you can't string 2 sentences together with getting totally bewildered & confused, and when the cognitive decline is getting worse (IMHOP) is why I'm not worried about Biden winning.
Presentism? Good word. I had to look that up. :thumb:

The debates this fall will be a confused, gaffe machine vs a lying and hyperbole. Neither will say anything of substance and it'll be a shit show. Trump acting like a childish ass that can't speak with facts or reason and Biden, a senile old man who thinks he's at the park talking to the birds. :ohno:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17709
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:21 am
BDKJMU wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:31 am

Yeah, none of that stuff that Joe did in the 70s, 80s, 90s matters. But presentism does, and on the campaign trail, press conferences, debates this fall when you can't string 2 sentences together with getting totally bewildered & confused, and when the cognitive decline is getting worse (IMHOP) is why I'm not worried about Biden winning.
Presentism? Good word. I had to look that up. :thumb:

The debates this fall will be a confused, gaffe machine vs a lying and hyperbole. Neither will say anything of substance and it'll be a shit show. Trump acting like a childish ass that can't speak with facts or reason and Biden, a senile old man who thinks he's at the park talking to the birds. :ohno:
Apparently I didn't use it in its correct context- I was thinking it meant current means way more than past. But apparently 'presentism' would be like the cancel culture thing looking at 18th and 19th century mores through a 21st century lens, or in the case of Biden 70s/80s/90s through a present lens.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/presentism

I was just thinking the decades ago stuff doesn't matter nearly as much as the present. Perhaps I should have used 'recentism' instead.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54065
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:41 am
Ibanez wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:21 am
Presentism? Good word. I had to look that up. :thumb:

The debates this fall will be a confused, gaffe machine vs a lying and hyperbole. Neither will say anything of substance and it'll be a shit show. Trump acting like a childish ass that can't speak with facts or reason and Biden, a senile old man who thinks he's at the park talking to the birds. :ohno:
Apparently I didn't use it in its correct context- I was thinking it meant current means way more than past. But apparently 'presentism' would be like the cancel culture thing looking at 18th and 19th century mores through a 21st century lens, or in the case of Biden 70s/80s/90s through a present lens.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/presentism

I was just thinking the decades ago stuff doesn't matter nearly as much as the present. Perhaps I should have used 'recentism' instead.
I understood how you used it. Good word. :thumb: :thumb:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 13867
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:01 am
SDHornet wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:25 pm
Aaannndddd Biden's ancestors owned slaves...this should end well...

Is that even a news source? Where do people find these weird sites? The echo chambers are really insulated these days. :ohno:

And regardless, Biden is already Teflon for these types of things - he sent his kids to a white private school to avoid busing into the inner city with Black kids in the '70's, he plagiarized political speeches in the late '80's in a previous run for President, he authored the crime bill and labeled people super predators that led to a generation of Black youths being committed to the criminal justice system, and he sexually harassed women. And he's clearly suffering a mental decline likely due to his advanced age. And he'll likely be elected President in November because the current office holder is at least equally repugnant. Political institutions have and are failing us. :ohno:
Well don't expect the msm to run anything like this about Biden...hell they probably don't even realize he has been in a basement this whole time.

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 13867
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:31 am
GannonFan wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:01 am


Is that even a news source? Where do people find these weird sites? The echo chambers are really insulated these days. :ohno:

And regardless, Biden is already Teflon for these types of things - he sent his kids to a white private school to avoid busing into the inner city with Black kids in the '70's, he plagiarized political speeches in the late '80's in a previous run for President, he authored the crime bill and labeled people super predators that led to a generation of Black youths being committed to the criminal justice system, and he sexually harassed women. And he's clearly suffering a mental decline likely due to his advanced age. And he'll likely be elected President in November because the current office holder is at least equally repugnant. Political institutions have and are failing us. :ohno:
Yeah, none of that stuff that Joe did in the 70s, 80s, 90s matters. But presentism does, and on the campaign trail, press conferences, debates this fall when you can't string 2 sentences together with getting totally bewildered & confused, and when the cognitive decline is getting worse (IMHOP) is why I'm not worried about Biden winning.
Naw, ballot harvesting will be an all time high this Nov. The DNC will be balls to the wall and I fully expect boxes of ballots to be found in the days following election day.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54065
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by Ibanez »

I had a mild disagreement with a life long friend this morning. Now he’s blocked my number and unfriended me and blocked me on facebook. He’s MAGA-ness can’t tolerate civil and respectful differences. Fuck him.


Fucking snowflake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 25298
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:15 pm
I had a mild disagreement with a life long friend this morning. Now he’s blocked my number and unfriended me and blocked me on facebook. He’s MAGA-ness can’t tolerate civil and respectful differences. Fuck him.


Fucking snowflake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesn’t sound very “mild” to me. Your fuse is pretty short.
“Sure. I was wrong.” — 89Hen 7/27/2020

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54065
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote:
Ibanez wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:15 pm
I had a mild disagreement with a life long friend this morning. Now he’s blocked my number and unfriended me and blocked me on facebook. He’s MAGA-ness can’t tolerate civil and respectful differences. Fuck him.


Fucking snowflake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesn’t sound very “mild” to me. Your fuse is pretty short.
It was. Nobody every got angry or personal. Neither of raised our voice. Another friend was involved and he’s been blocked too. The conversation sort of went like this.

Marty: I can’t believe they took down Calhoun. Are they going to rename Charleston next?

Me: I get your point. But Calhoun isn’t someone we should be honoring.

Marty: it’s erasing history.

Me: Taking down a statue isn’t erasing history. You might not be offended but there are people in this country that are because they’re black.

Rhett: You can still read about him. You can still see his picture. Nobody is stopping you from doing that.

Marty: are you shitting me?

Me: alright man. I’ll talk to you later.




You’d think after 30 years of friendship we could have a difference of opinion. After he went full MAGA he’s become a fuckin nightmare to be around. Which is surprising because he’s the very person that Trump has a history of screwing over. - small business owner.


I guess it’s for the best. Which is a shame.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17709
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by BDKJMU »

Princeton drops Woodrow Wilson from public policy school and a residential college.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/princeton-dr ... t-thinking

Meanwhile another Jefferson statue torn doen, this time in Portland..

User avatar
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 9385
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:41 am
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by SeattleGriz »

Spot on
Everything is better with Montana.

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 25298
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by Ivytalk »

BDKJMU wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:04 pm
Princeton drops Woodrow Wilson from public policy school and a residential college.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/princeton-dr ... t-thinking

Meanwhile another Jefferson statue torn doen, this time in Portland..
Those Princeton Tigers are nothing if not predictable (preppie assholes).
“Sure. I was wrong.” — 89Hen 7/27/2020

AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 4648
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:29 pm
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by AshevilleApp »

SDHornet wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:29 pm
GannonFan wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:01 am


Is that even a news source? Where do people find these weird sites? The echo chambers are really insulated these days. :ohno:

And regardless, Biden is already Teflon for these types of things - he sent his kids to a white private school to avoid busing into the inner city with Black kids in the '70's, he plagiarized political speeches in the late '80's in a previous run for President, he authored the crime bill and labeled people super predators that led to a generation of Black youths being committed to the criminal justice system, and he sexually harassed women. And he's clearly suffering a mental decline likely due to his advanced age. And he'll likely be elected President in November because the current office holder is at least equally repugnant. Political institutions have and are failing us. :ohno:
Well don't expect the msm to run anything like this about Biden...hell they probably don't even realize he has been in a basement this whole time.
I'd expect Fox News to run something about it. That's as msm as any other media source. Just with a red tint.

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17709
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by BDKJMU »

Good PSA by this sheriff:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 46312
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:50 pm
Good PSA by this sheriff:
:rofl:
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17709
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by BDKJMU »


Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 25298
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by Ivytalk »

BDKJMU wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:32 pm
DE removes whipping post.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/delaware-rem ... ic-grounds
Hadn’t been used since 1952. It was gathering cobwebs.
“Sure. I was wrong.” — 89Hen 7/27/2020

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 13867
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by SDHornet »

Antifa guy arrested for effort in tearing down statues in DC.
Federal law enforcement officials on Thursday arrested a man in Washington they call a “ringleader” in the recent attempt to destroy the Andrew Jackson statue in Lafayette Square near the White House.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/feds-a ... hite-house

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 13867
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by SDHornet »

A Leftist professor, Claira Janover, got fired from Harvard for a past tweet encouraging stabbing of people that said "all lives matter". We'll see how this cancel culture trend goes now that Leftists are losing their jobs too.

:popcorn:

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 25298
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by Ivytalk »

SDHornet wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:30 pm
A Leftist professor, Claira Janover, got fired from Harvard for a past tweet encouraging stabbing of people that said "all lives matter". We'll see how this cancel culture trend goes now that Leftists are losing their jobs too.

:popcorn:
Best news I’ve had all day! :thumb:
“Sure. I was wrong.” — 89Hen 7/27/2020

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53891
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:30 pm
A Leftist professor, Claira Janover, got fired from Harvard for a past tweet encouraging stabbing of people that said "all lives matter". We'll see how this cancel culture trend goes now that Leftists are losing their jobs too.

:popcorn:
Was that the Asian chick? I thought she was a recent Harvard GRAD, not a professor?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 25298
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by Ivytalk »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:55 pm
SDHornet wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:30 pm
A Leftist professor, Claira Janover, got fired from Harvard for a past tweet encouraging stabbing of people that said "all lives matter". We'll see how this cancel culture trend goes now that Leftists are losing their jobs too.

:popcorn:
Was that the Asian chick? I thought she was a recent Harvard GRAD, not a professor?
You’re right, AZ. She graduated in May and just got shitcanned by Deloitte. They’re setting up a GoFundMe account for the Khundt. Karma, bitches! :rofl:
“Sure. I was wrong.” — 89Hen 7/27/2020

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5
Posts: 11235
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:30 am

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by ∞∞∞ »

FedEx is asking the Redskins to change the name. I believe it's the largest team sponsor (and stadium namesake).

Reports are Nike and PepsiCo may follow soon.

Pathetic it'll take corporate America to change the name instead of doing it because it's right. But whatever, as long as it happens.

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17709
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:33 pm
FedEx is asking the Redskins to change the name. I believe it's the largest team sponsor (and stadium namesake).

Reports are Nike and PepsiCo may follow soon.

Pathetic it'll take corporate America to change the name instead of doing it because it's right. But whatever, as long as it happens.
Just because a bunch of woke, whiny faggity, cancel culture liberals don’t like the name, doesn’t mean it should be changed.

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5
Posts: 11235
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:30 am

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:34 pm
∞∞∞ wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:33 pm
FedEx is asking the Redskins to change the name. I believe it's the largest team sponsor (and stadium namesake).

Reports are Nike and PepsiCo may follow soon.

Pathetic it'll take corporate America to change the name instead of doing it because it's right. But whatever, as long as it happens.
Just because a bunch of woke, whiny faggity, cancel culture liberals don’t like the name, doesn’t mean it should be changed.
Nah, it's literally a racist name. From 2014:



I remember this issue for at least 15 years now (if not longer). REALLY hope its finally coming to a head this time around.

ps. DC won't allow the Redskins to move back to RFK site unless they change the name. Good stuff.

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5
Posts: 11235
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:30 am

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Also Nike just removed all Redskins items off their site.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Post Reply