Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Cancel Culture thread

Post by BDKJMU »

I know there's a whole bunch of posts on the 'Here we go again Minneapolis' thread and elsewhere about statues & monuments being defaced, destroyed, torn down, & all the other cancel culture stuff, but with so much cancel culture stuff going on, I figured it could use its own thread.

Apparently any historical statues of white men are fair game. Chicago:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I'm 100% on board for taking down all Washington monuments and renaming DC, as well as taking down the Jefferson Memorial and renaming the Washington monument. I prefer rededicating it all to blacks and Native Americans who suffered for this country.

Anyways, it should have happened a long time ago. :nod:
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Columbus statue in Philly is protected by Italian Americans from leftists who showed up wanting to take it down:
A woman nearby held up a sign saying “Stand Up, South Philly Won’t Stand Down."

And another man, who declined to give his name, stood close to the statue while holding a rifle — one of at least two men in the plaza carrying guns.

Thomas Easterday, 50, was among the crowd of about 100 people milling around the marble Columbus figure. He said the goal of the gathering was simple.

“Protecting the statue from these rioters who want to take it down,”.....

....Easterday and others said their presence Saturday was as much to ward off any vandals as to send a message to Mayor Jim Kenney that they would not approve of removing the statue in the middle of the night — as Kenney did with the statue of former Mayor Frank Rizzo earlier this month...

..Those present at Saturday’s demonstrations said they considered Columbus an emblem of their heritage, and that any attempt to erase him would be a “hate crime.”...

....At Marconi Plaza Saturday, some attendees — who were largely male, white, and not wearing masks — called protesters “animals” or “thugs.” Others were more sympathetic, but said they were out patience with the violence or looting.

Joseph Pungitore, 38, draped in an Italian flag, said he lives nearby and has been frequently checking on the statue in light of the push to remove monuments connected to histories of oppression.

He planned to stick around until he has to go to work Monday if necessary. His son stood nearby, leaning on a baseball bat, but Pungitore clarified: “I’m standing for peace.”

“It would be over my dead body before they got to this statue,” said Anthony Ruggiero, 41, wearing an Italia jersey. “This is a part of history.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/south ... r-BB15rFNc
https://www.redstate.com/streiff/2020/06/14/855197/
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:04 pm I'm 100% on board for taking down all Washington monuments and renaming DC, as well as taking down the Jefferson Memorial and renaming the Washington monument. I prefer rededicating it all to blacks and Native Americans who suffered for this country.

We got it, you hate white people..
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:11 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:04 pm I'm 100% on board for taking down all Washington monuments and renaming DC, as well as taking down the Jefferson Memorial and renaming the Washington monument. I prefer rededicating it all to blacks and Native Americans who suffered for this country.

No, I don't hate anyone (ps. I'm white). GW and company were men of their time and I can't blame them for it, but that doesn't mean we have to honor them today. There's always museums and history books.

This country was built on the back of black people and the suffering of Native Americans, as well as the white people who fought for their rights...those are the Americans that should be honored.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:11 pm We got it, you hate white people..
No, I don't hate anyone (ps. I'm white). GW and company were men of their time and I can't blame them for it, but that doesn't mean we have to honor them today. There's always museums and history books.

This country was built on the back of black people and the suffering of Native Americans, as well as the white people who fought for their rights...those are the Americans that should be honored.
Museums and history books are next for those who wish to wash history like some American Taliban.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:35 pm
∞∞∞ wrote:

Museums and history books are next for those who wish to wash history like some American Taliban.
And that's ok.

You hope to leave a better place for the next people, but ultimately it's not my right to tell 'em how to run their society. If my views are in the history books (and they probably will be), that's good. It means a new generation of Americans is carving its own path.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Speaking of cancel culture...has anyone signed Kaepernick yet?

I hear the Dixie Chicks are changing their name...
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:35 pm
∞∞∞ wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Why do the racists want to cling to Confederate Statues so much? Why don't we erect statues of Hitler and King George III? I think we need to put up a statue of Benedict Arnold.

Norway really needs to have a lot of tributes to Vikdun Quisling
:thumb:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I've really enjoyed people posting all the sh*tty things that lasted longer than the Confederacy. Examples include:

-Microsoft Zune
-DeLorean Motor Company
-Betamax
-NSYNC
-My Little Pony
-ISIS
-Purple Ketchup
-Ghostbusters Cereal
-Keeping Up with the Kardashians
-Dick Cheney's 2nd Heart
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:15 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:11 pm

This country was built on the back of George Washington. Without him, you’d be a serf in England. So kindly go fuck yourself.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

dbackjon wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:58 pmWhy do the racists want to cling to Confederate Statues so much? Why don't we erect statues of Hitler and King George III? I think we need to put up a statue of Benedict Arnold.

Funny thing is that I may be the only one on CS actually born in Northern Virginia, so I probably have best claim to the flag.

Damn cultural appropriation. :ohno:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:15 pm I've really enjoyed people posting all the sh*tty things that lasted longer than the Confederacy. Examples include:

-Microsoft Zune
-DeLorean Motor Company
-Betamax
-NSYNC
-My Little Pony
-ISIS
-Purple Ketchup
-Ghostbusters Cereal
-Keeping Up with the Kardashians
-Dick Cheney's 2nd Heart
Purple ketchup HAS to cause cancer.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:37 pmPurple ketchup HAS to cause cancer.
It's actually the Catch-22 of ketchups. It causes cancer, but only cancer survivors can have it.

It's a little known fact the purple ribbon was invented by Heinz to market its ketchup.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:58 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:35 pm Museums and history books are next for those who wish to wash history like some American Taliban.

Why do the racists want to cling to Confederate Statues so much? Why don't we erect statues of Hitler and King George III? I think we need to put up a statue of Benedict Arnold.

Why do leftists want to destroy all statues/memorials, including to the Founding Fathers, Columbus, an abolistionist (Philadelphia), Union soldiers (Philadelphia), a black regiment (Boston)?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:28 pm
dbackjon wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:58 pmWhy do the racists want to cling to Confederate Statues so much? Why don't we erect statues of Hitler and King George III? I think we need to put up a statue of Benedict Arnold.

Funny thing is that I may be the only one on CS actually born in Northern Virginia, so I probably have best claim to the flag.

My being born in Richmond, with multiple ancestry that fought for the South, including Gen Bragg, and a Col surgeon in the Army of No Va, trumps that..
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:48 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:28 pm

My being born in Richmond with multiple ancestry that fought for the South, including Gen Bragg, and a Col surgeon in the Army of No Va, trumps that..
My post was in jest, but I'm perfectly fine if you want to lay claim to the flag. Not something I'd ever actually touch.

Also I'm excited now. I can't wait for the thread you start when Fort Bragg's name is changed. :nod:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:I'm 100% on board for taking down all Washington monuments and renaming DC, as well as taking down the Jefferson Memorial and renaming the Washington monument. I prefer rededicating it all to blacks and Native Americans who suffered for this country.

It’s our history. Why should we erase our past? It’s ugly, brutal, messy, wrong but it’s how we got here. This is a purity movement and NOTHING nor NOBODY will get out unscathed...including the SJWs that are trying to decide for the country that they’re right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:11 pm We got it, you hate white people..

It was also built on the blacks of the Chinese and the Irish. Why not show them love?!

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:56 pm
∞∞∞ wrote:

It was also built on the blacks of the Chinese and the Irish. Why not show them love?!

And the Italians.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

When do the re-education camps open up?

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:56 pm It was also built on the blacks of the Chinese and the Irish. Why not show them love?!

And the Italians.
I thought about them after I posted. Good call.

Oh, and the Mexicans that pick out fruit.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:58 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:35 pm Museums and history books are next for those who wish to wash history like some American Taliban.

Did you actually read Trip's post that I was responding to?

I didn't realize Washington and Jefferson were confederates.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:56 pm
∞∞∞ wrote:

Oh for sure, let's honor them too.

The Founding Fathers had their moment and it's probably time to move past it. I'm ok if we stop memorializing a bunch of wealthy white men who had the ultimate hissy fit because they were angry at paying even richer white men, started a nation under the guise of "liberty" with no input from anyone except other elite white men, proceeded to put ALL power into the hands of said elite, then continued to enslave blacks, kill Native Americans and steal their land, and gave woman no say in the political process.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:05 pm

I didn't realize Washington and Jefferson were confederates.
Considering it was the second post, I'm pretty sure I was replying to BDK's original post.