CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Here we go again- Atlanta

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:38 pm I watched the 1st 15 min or so of the press conference. The DA mentioned Brooks polite, compliant manner, no mention of the professional manner by the officers as shown on the bodycams. No mention that Brooks resisted arrest, assaulted the officers, or stole the taser (he did mention Brooks fired the taser at Rolfe, but completely downplayed it. The DA appeared to be going out of his way to make the officers look in the worst possible light, and Brooks in the best possible light. Completely one sided.
The officers will have their day in court. Brooks won't.

But what's the saying - if you aren't doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about...
These charges are doomed already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Cops walking off the on in droves in ATL right now. Entire precincts empty.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:24 pm Cops walking off the on in droves in ATL right now. Entire precincts empty.
Let's see how the left responds. Will they support workers' rights or attack the officers?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:34 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:24 pm Cops walking off the on in droves in ATL right now. Entire precincts empty.
Let's see how the left responds. Will they support workers' rights or attack the officers?
Such a conundrum. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I hope Atlanta burns to the fucking ground.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Why are they walking off? I thought this is why we equipped and armed them to the teeth?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:47 pm

Why are they walking off? I thought this is why we equipped and armed them to the teeth?
You know why. don’t be obtuse.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:48 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:47 pm

No I’m serious. They wanted all the gear but when the chips are down they walk off?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:54 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:48 pm
No I’m serious. They wanted all the gear but when the chips are down they walk off?
Isn't it their right as labor to protest job conditions and/or how their coworkers are treated?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:04 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:54 pm

Isn't it their right as labor to protest job conditions and/or how their coworkers are treated?
Yes...perhaps we should send in the Pinkertons and break their knees.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

CitadelGrad wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:07 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:38 pm I watched the 1st 15 min or so of the press conference. The DA mentioned Brooks polite, compliant manner, no mention of the professional manner by the officers as shown on the bodycams. No mention that Brooks resisted arrest, assaulted the officers, or stole the taser (he did mention Brooks fired the taser at Rolfe, but completely downplayed it. The DA appeared to be going out of his way to make the officers look in the worst possible light, and Brooks in the best possible light. Completely one sided.
It isn't uncommon for prosecutors to prosecute in the court of public opinion before they prosecute in a court of law if they know they don't have a strong case.
Well, it doesn't help that the DA is under investigation by the GBI for funneling $140,000 from a 'non-profit' to supplement his salary. He's also under investigation by the State Ethics Commission for not disclosing that he is the CEO of the 'non-profit' that was funneling money (allegedly) to him.

He is also up for reelection this year and is scheduled to be in a runoff in August. Oh, and the police union has endorsed his opponent.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:08 pm
I wouldn't support that but you're free to if that floats your boat. But the same philosophy should apply equally to AFSCME, SEIU, etc.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:05 pm
dbackjon wrote:
The officers will have their day in court. Brooks won't.

But what's the saying - if you aren't doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about...
These charges are doomed already

Yup. Video of the DA stating that using a taser is deadly force is also making the rounds.

It's almost like he wants the trial to be thrown out so there is a reason to riot again...hhmmm...
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

SDHornet wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:05 pm These charges are doomed already

Yup. Video of the DA stating that using a taser is deadly force is also making the rounds.

It's almost like he wants the trial to be thrown out so there is a reason to riot again...hhmmm...
The problem is that the charging justification is 90% about how the encounter was cordial and the victim was cooperative

That is immaterial

The moment where the taser gets pointed at the officer is the only pertinent fact here

Opportunity
Ability
Jeopardy

Those are the three things that must be satisfied before deadly force can be used. They all exist in this case

Like I’ve said - this shooting may have been horrible and I myself would not have pulled the trigger but it was legally justified

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

AZGrizFan wrote:Cops walking off the on in droves in ATL right now. Entire precincts empty.
Good

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:34 pm Let's see how the left responds. Will they support workers' rights or attack the officers?
Such a conundrum. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I hope Atlanta burns to the fucking ground.
#MeToo

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Paging jellybelly

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Atlanta zone 6 police scanner is dead quiet. Per twitter, last audio was a report to "grab what you'll miss" as protesters were heading towards the precinct.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:36 pm

I wouldn't support that but you're free to if that floats your boat. But the same philosophy should apply equally to AFSCME, SEIU, etc.
I was just poking fun at your support of unions. ;)

That said, unsafe working conditions is a part of certain jobs depending on how you define it.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Wops :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Baldy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:27 pm
CitadelGrad wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:07 pm

It isn't uncommon for prosecutors to prosecute in the court of public opinion before they prosecute in a court of law if they know they don't have a strong case.
Well, it doesn't help that the DA is under investigation by the GBI for funneling $140,000 from a 'non-profit' to supplement his salary. He's also under investigation by the State Ethics Commission for not disclosing that he is the CEO of the 'non-profit' that was funneling money (allegedly) to him.

He is also up for reelection this year and is scheduled to be in a runoff in August. Oh, and the police union has endorsed his opponent.
Sounds like another Cold Cash Jefferson...
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Judge Napolitano on Rayshard Brooks case: Murder charge against Atlanta officer is 'catastrophic mistake
Look, if there's a jury trial, here's what the judge is going to say to the jurors before they start deliberating. If that police officer reasonably believed that Mr. Brooks was using or was about to use deadly force on him, the police officer, then the police officer is permitted to use deadly force to protect himself. Secondly, the determination of what was in the police officer's mind is not what a reasonable civilian would do, but what a reasonable police officer would do.

[Do] you know what's going to happen? [Rolfe] is going to be found not guilty, and that's going to produce a tremendous uproar amongst the people of Atlanta.

They should have charged some far more reasonable charge rather than one that exposes him to the death penalty. It's just not going to work.

There is one legitimate legal reason for overcharging. That's to get him to plead guilty to a lesser charge. But, I don't know if this D.A. would accept such a guilty plea because he is determined to make a clear example out of this guy. This is not the right way to make an example.

Listen, if this was a standard-issue Taser -- and I have no reason to believe it was anything other than that -- it produces 50,000 volts of electricity. That's enough to stop an elephant and it’s enough to kill a human being.

But, the test is not, 'is the Taser a deadly weapon?' The test is: 'did the police officer reasonably believe that a deadly weapon was being aimed at him?' It could have been an elastic band and paper clip. But if he reasonably believed it was a deadly weapon, then he was authorized to use deadly force.

Without that law, the cops can't do their jobs.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/judge-nap ... fficer.amp
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Charged ATL cop gets 250k boost to legal defense fund.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/rayshard-bro ... lanta-cops
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:22 am
Baldy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:27 pm

Sounds like another Cold Cash Jefferson...
After decades and decades of corruption, it's just another day at the ATL city hall.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:30 am Judge Napolitano on Rayshard Brooks case: Murder charge against Atlanta officer is 'catastrophic mistake
Look, if there's a jury trial, here's what the judge is going to say to the jurors before they start deliberating. If that police officer reasonably believed that Mr. Brooks was using or was about to use deadly force on him, the police officer, then the police officer is permitted to use deadly force to protect himself. Secondly, the determination of what was in the police officer's mind is not what a reasonable civilian would do, but what a reasonable police officer would do.

[Do] you know what's going to happen? [Rolfe] is going to be found not guilty, and that's going to produce a tremendous uproar amongst the people of Atlanta.

They should have charged some far more reasonable charge rather than one that exposes him to the death penalty. It's just not going to work.

There is one legitimate legal reason for overcharging. That's to get him to plead guilty to a lesser charge. But, I don't know if this D.A. would accept such a guilty plea because he is determined to make a clear example out of this guy. This is not the right way to make an example.

Listen, if this was a standard-issue Taser -- and I have no reason to believe it was anything other than that -- it produces 50,000 volts of electricity. That's enough to stop an elephant and it’s enough to kill a human being.

But, the test is not, 'is the Taser a deadly weapon?' The test is: 'did the police officer reasonably believe that a deadly weapon was being aimed at him?' It could have been an elastic band and paper clip. But if he reasonably believed it was a deadly weapon, then he was authorized to use deadly force.

Without that law, the cops can't do their jobs.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/judge-nap ... fficer.amp
It wasn't a mistake. Atlanta is one of the bluest cities in the nation and they want these cops blood. The DA is up for reelection and in a hotly contested runoff in August. He knew if he didn't go for some form of murder, he wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell. It was 100% save my job political decision.