DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Hey Seattle and Portland.....

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:41 am
DuckDuckGriz wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:53 am

Well, this is an interesting move in response to your earlier question about how Gov Brown and Ted Wheeler will handle this.
Gov Brown hijacked authority here by deputizing PPB to get around the stifling restrictions Ted Wheeler's put on them, without putting the backlash from the left back on Wheeler.

What a mess.
Did Gov Brown hijack the authority by deputizing the Rapid Response Team? Or was it Oregon State Police Supt. Travis Hampton bypassing both Wheeler and Brown? My money's on Hampton.

As a local, do you think Multnomah County DA Michael Thomas will press charges against the Corbett road-block vigilantes after letting Portland rioters and looters off the hook?
In response to your first question - you could be right. And politically it might make sense for Brown. Both Wheeler and Brown have been in a state of decisive paralysis in order to avoid pissing off the left.

Ironically, the narrative in Portland prior to this was that there needs to be more autonomous power at the mayoral level. The council/mayor system in Portland is outdated and leads to more infighting than actual legislative momentum. It's 9 cooks in the kitchen at all times and is the biggest hindrance imo to addressing fundamental issues like the homeless crisis.

The commissioners play a massive role in the way this is managed - and they have publicly abandoned Wheeler as his office has suddenly become a national flashpoint. I don't know that I'd touch it either. He's on an island.

Another point I don't think people around the country realize - the candidates that Wheeler is running against: Sarah Iannarone and (write-in candidate) Teressa Radford are even less supportive of PPB than Wheeler is.

In your second - I think you mean Mike Schmidt. I don't have any idea legally what grounds there are for intimidation, public nuisance, etc etc. I do think it was a mistake for Schmidt to publicly state his position on this. He undermined the case-by-case nature of the system by publicly stating a position. He didn't have to say anything.

He was JUST elected by promising to do what the commissioners can't - make the PPB less of a revolving door for homeless. That was March, literally right before all of this took off.

A crisis like this in a local election year. Perfect fucking storm.

I don't know if I answered your question. But thanks for letting me rant.

EDIT: my habit of saying "pubic" instead of "public" :?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:48 am
DuckDuckGriz wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:56 am

He did sit prior to kneeling.

Ironically, it was former Green Beret Nate Boyer who talked him into kneeling:

"We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammates," Boyer tells HBO. "Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave, you know, to show respect. When we're on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... jxaylrcsse
:nod: Kap tried to frame the debate but a bunch of right-wing Nancys got all bent out of shape and made a big deal out of it.

:nod:

And we’re still talking about it. Pretty damn effective peaceful protest.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:50 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:35 pm

The problem is he’s “calling attention” to .4% of the problem while blatantly ignoring the 99% problem. As does BLM. If black lives TRULY mattered, they’d focus on the ACTUAL problem and not the politically expedient one.
I agree. But that responsibility isn't exclusive to BLM - it should be asked of all of us.
I'm pessimistic that Americans as a whole have any patience to actually get underneath the rhetoric that's so easy for all of us to lazily hop on to.

To be honest, that's a major reason I've come back to this board. :thumb:
I think the worst thing that could have happened to Kap’s attempted message was to have it coopted by the #BLM movement. Absolute WORST thing that could have happened.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

The antifa mob turning on Wheeler should shock no one.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

I don't think this is PNW, oh wells...

DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:15 pm The antifa mob turning on Wheeler should shock no one.
"......Thank you." :lol:

I don't think the country understands that, between Sarah Iannarone, Ted Wheeler and Teressa Raiford - Wheeler is the closest thing to center that we can get.

If Wheeler gets re-elected, that is why.
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:15 pm The antifa mob turning on Wheeler should shock no one.
Also that video is from 2017, so you probably don't need to editorialize it with "the antifa mob is turning on Wheeler" comment.
They've long been at odds with one another.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Portland's next mayor.
Nice skirt. :lol:

I can think of no better way to show off your progressive creds than sporting a skirt covered with Mao, Stalin, and Che. :rofl:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:18 am

I don't think the country understands that, between Sarah Iannarone, Ted Wheeler and Teressa Raiford - Wheeler is the closest thing to center that we can get.

Is Wheeler really center or more of an alt-right fascist compared to those two?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:51 am
DuckDuckGriz wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:18 am

Is Wheeler really center or more of an alt-right fascist compared to those two?
Ha, depends on who you ask.

The real race that's not getting national attention is for City Council - Chloe Eudaly vs Mingus Mapps

Mapps is the only one to be outspoken against this parayltic council/mayoral system

Eudaly has done nothing collaborative in this government as far as I'm concerned
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Not Seattle or Portland, but Tacoma is PNW so I'll park this here...

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

A group of protesters toppled statues of former presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln and shattered the entrance to the Oregon Historical Society in Portland’s South Park Blocks late Sunday before moving into other areas of downtown, smashing storefronts and engaging in other acts of destruction.

Police declared the event a riot and ordered people rampaging through the city’s streets to disperse but did not directly intervene until nearly an hour after the first statue fell.
https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/202 ... -rage.html
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:45 am
A group of protesters toppled statues of former presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln and shattered the entrance to the Oregon Historical Society in Portland’s South Park Blocks late Sunday before moving into other areas of downtown, smashing storefronts and engaging in other acts of destruction.

Police declared the event a riot and ordered people rampaging through the city’s streets to disperse but did not directly intervene until nearly an hour after the first statue fell.
https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/202 ... -rage.html
Just like the Michigan kidnappers, they’re anarchists.

:coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:50 am
Just like the Michigan kidnappers, they’re anarchists.

:coffee:
They're children throwing a temper tantrum because they're not getting their way. In a way it's similar to how the POTUS acts except nobody reads their Twitter feeds so they destroy sh!t instead.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

'Reject hate and violence': Black leaders support Portland Commissioner Dan Ryan after protesters vandalize his home
"When we disagree, we've got to learn how to disagree without falling out,” said Pastor J.W. Matt Hennessee.

He condemned the criminal attacks against Ryan as retaliation and intimidation, devoid of civility and love. He also had a message for those responsible.

“You're not going to make us hate you,” said Hennessee. “You're not going to make us do anything but make us feel sorry that that is the way you that you handle your situation when you don't get what you want.”
“We have primarily white people committing crimes and saying they're doing it under the banner of Black Lives Matter,” said Herndon. “This criminal activity has nothing to do with Black people… My feeling is these actions should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:03 am 'Reject hate and violence': Black leaders support Portland Commissioner Dan Ryan after protesters vandalize his home
"When we disagree, we've got to learn how to disagree without falling out,” said Pastor J.W. Matt Hennessee.

He condemned the criminal attacks against Ryan as retaliation and intimidation, devoid of civility and love. He also had a message for those responsible.

“You're not going to make us hate you,” said Hennessee. “You're not going to make us do anything but make us feel sorry that that is the way you that you handle your situation when you don't get what you want.”
“We have primarily white people committing crimes and saying they're doing it under the banner of Black Lives Matter,” said Herndon. “This criminal activity has nothing to do with Black people… My feeling is these actions should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

I think re-electing Wheeler, not Iannarone, and electing Mingus Mapps (over Chloe Eudaly) was hopefully a repudiation of the BLM aggressiveness in this city.

I am 2 blocks from Dan Ryan's house btw.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Must have been protesting that evil holiday Thanksgiving.

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:32 pm Must have been protesting that evil holiday Thanksgiving.

Still anarchists.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:00 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:32 pm Must have been protesting that evil holiday Thanksgiving.

Still ANarchists, TItans & FAscists.
FYP
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:33 am Portland's next mayor.

I can think of no better way to show off your progressive creds than sporting a skirt covered with Mao, Stalin, and Che. :rofl:
How did I miss this? How is that skirt acceptable in the US? Che was a minor leaguer when it came to being a mass murder but Mao and Stalin put Hitler to shame.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

I posted this in the COVID Thread but it fits here too.

There are good things happening in Portland ...

Portland Reverend reacts to Governor Brown's new COVID-19 guidance, says he won't hold in-person service
"We worship a God of life, and God's given us science and health experts; we have them in our congregation," Knutson said. "I sat down with a group in February and talked about the steps we would take to keep people safe and well through this."
A faith leader who cares for their congregation.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:28 pm
Baldy wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:33 am Portland's next mayor.

How did I miss this? How is that skirt acceptable in the US? Che was a minor leaguer when it came to being a mass murder but Mao and Stalin put Hitler to shame.
The US?

We're talking about The People's Republic of Portland here. :)
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:01 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:48 am

:nod: Kap tried to frame the debate but a bunch of right-wing Nancys got all bent out of shape and made a big deal out of it.

Making the entire business end of the NFL your bitches is no small feat. He should have Goodell's job
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:30 pm I posted this in the COVID Thread but it fits here too.

There are good things happening in Portland ...

Portland Reverend reacts to Governor Brown's new COVID-19 guidance, says he won't hold in-person service
"We worship a God of life, and God's given us science and health experts; we have them in our congregation," Knutson said. "I sat down with a group in February and talked about the steps we would take to keep people safe and well through this."
A faith leader who cares for their congregation.
That would leave more time for faith healers to put their talent to use in the hospitals, where they're needed :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:02 am
kalm wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:01 pm

Making the entire business end of the NFL your bitches is no small feat. He should have Goodell's job
Well it wouldn’t be difficult to do it better. Getting an entire industry to cave to a nonexistent issue is pretty fucking powerful.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12