Political discussions
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Hey Seattle and Portland.....

Post by Winterborn »

Stay safe '88.
Fatal shootings in almost all sections of the city have followed fistfights, social media disputes, and drug deals gone bad. People sitting in cars, relaxing after work with friends in a bar, attending house parties or walking in a park have been shot dead.

Forensic analysis of spent bullet casings from crime scenes reveals connections between many of the shootings, pointing to gangs and retaliation as frequent drivers of the gun violence, investigators say…

From January through the end of September, police counted a total of 943 shootings that killed or injured 307 people. That compares to 488 shootings and 126 people killed or injured in all of last year.

During that same period, police recovered 4,909 bullet casings. That compares to 4,652 in all of 2020.

The comparison to last year is especially worrisome because the number of murders had already spiked 83% last year according to FBI data. Another conspicuous aspect of the murder rate is that it is disproportionally impacting black residents. Portland is one of the whitest cities in the US (nearly 75%). The black population only makes up about 6% of the city. And yet, the breakdown of homicide victims this year looks like this:

So in a city where Black Lives Matter protests were a constant last year, the city now has a murder rate for black residents that is 8 times the murder rate for white residents.
After one particularly bad weekend this summer when an 18-year-old woman was shot and killed, Mayor Wheeler vowed to “fight for more police officers.” But it turned out that no one wanted the jobs. The city listed 14 openings with the Focused Initiative Team in May, after two months they had a total of four applicants. Meanwhile, officers were resigning their jobs in Portland to take similar jobs making less money elsewhere.

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2021/10/08/ ... ry-n421193
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:39 pm Stay safe '88.
Fatal shootings in almost all sections of the city have followed fistfights, social media disputes, and drug deals gone bad. People sitting in cars, relaxing after work with friends in a bar, attending house parties or walking in a park have been shot dead.

Forensic analysis of spent bullet casings from crime scenes reveals connections between many of the shootings, pointing to gangs and retaliation as frequent drivers of the gun violence, investigators say…

From January through the end of September, police counted a total of 943 shootings that killed or injured 307 people. That compares to 488 shootings and 126 people killed or injured in all of last year.

During that same period, police recovered 4,909 bullet casings. That compares to 4,652 in all of 2020.

The comparison to last year is especially worrisome because the number of murders had already spiked 83% last year according to FBI data. Another conspicuous aspect of the murder rate is that it is disproportionally impacting black residents. Portland is one of the whitest cities in the US (nearly 75%). The black population only makes up about 6% of the city. And yet, the breakdown of homicide victims this year looks like this:

So in a city where Black Lives Matter protests were a constant last year, the city now has a murder rate for black residents that is 8 times the murder rate for white residents.
After one particularly bad weekend this summer when an 18-year-old woman was shot and killed, Mayor Wheeler vowed to “fight for more police officers.” But it turned out that no one wanted the jobs. The city listed 14 openings with the Focused Initiative Team in May, after two months they had a total of four applicants. Meanwhile, officers were resigning their jobs in Portland to take similar jobs making less money elsewhere.

:shock:

My oldest is applying for an internship at OPB. Need uncle ‘88 to watch over him for me… :mrgreen:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

It's a downward spiral that Portland's elected leaders don't understand and can't figure out how to address.

They've allowed the homeless to build camps in a variety of places because they want to respect the economically disadvantaged, mentally ill, addicts, etc. and they don't care about the impact on working people or property/business owners. Homeless camps have become a haven for drugs and violence that spills out into nearby neighborhoods. They waited way too long to start sweeping the homeless camps and the drugs and violence have become a part of the culture that follows them from camp to camp. Drive-by shootings and shoot-outs are becoming more common.

Add in the low morale, staffing shortages, and operational constraints placed on the Portland police and you have a recipe for violence and crime spiraling out of control. The results of defunding the police are being felt but city leaders don't have the courage to admit it.

I live in Portland but I vote and receive services from a nearby suburb. That's good for me because I have a lot more faith that suburban police will show up if there's a call than I do in the Portland police. There's a homeless camp a 1/4 mile from my moorage and I'm thankful that the moorage owner put in a security gate to enter the parking lot from Marine Drive. If it wasn't there my car would be getting broken into on a regular basis.

There is also a security gate to go down the ramp to my dock so a tweaker would need to swim to get to my house which actually happened earlier this week. Some dude climbed down the levee on the vacant lot next to my moorage and then walked along the shore to the shortest point to swim to my dock. He swam across buck naked and then broke into a neighbor's house and took a shower. The police were called and were waiting for him when he exited. He told them his "aura" told him to jump in the river and swim over.

I hear gunshots and street racers on Marine Drive at night on a regular basis. The homeless have also been filling in the path along Marine Drive that I used to like to walk when the weather was iffy. It's a great recreational path that is no longer safe. The houseless are obtaining some great waterfront property ...

I lived in the Austin neighborhood of Chicago so I know how to be careful but I have been thinking that it's time to take Cid and 93's advice on a shotgun. If someone takes me out it will likely be random bad luck.

Let me know if Kalm.1 needs a guardian angel.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Is Seattle now officially a “third world” city???

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... corts.html
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

88, sounds like Utopia.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

The sudden and troubling rise of a private police force in Downtown Portland
As business and property owners become increasingly frustrated with Portland’s public safety system, they are tapping private security to fill the vacuum — and perhaps no company has benefited more than Echelon. The firm investigates suspected crimes. Clients say guards patrol within an Old Town perimeter that stretches from Union Station to Southwest Ash Street. Business owners say they have been so satisfied with the company’s performance that they’ve reprogrammed their burglar alarms to ping Echelon — not 911 — if there’s a problem.
Before Burke calls the police, she said, she will always call Echelon. She said their guards are fast and responsive, and they treat downtown Portland’s growing homeless population with compassion. When a naked woman began licking a Society Hotel window in front of guests, Burke said guards were able to gently get her to move by making her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Burke is blunt: Portland has put itself in “an atrocious situation” with a cohort of private businesses running what amounts to its own police force. But she said she cannot wait for the city to figure out how to run its own police department.
As predicted, defund and demoralize the police and people with money will hire their own security to protect themselves, their property & businesses.

The article starts with too much of a focus on what can go wrong and not enough focus on the breakdown in public services & solutions that caused people to find alternative solutions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:23 pm 88, sounds like Utopia.
I miss going to downtown Portland but I still live in a wonderful place. I'm 30 minutes from the Gorge, 60 minutes from Mt. Hood, 90 minutes from the Oregon Coast and close proximity to Mt St Helens, Bend, etc.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:39 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:23 pm 88, sounds like Utopia.
I miss going to downtown Portland but I still live in a wonderful place. I'm 30 minutes from the Gorge, 60 minutes from Mt. Hood, 90 minutes from the Oregon Coast and close proximity to Mt St Helens, Bend, etc.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:52 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:39 am

It's an 80 mile drive but I'm probably 40-50 miles away as the crow flies. And Mt St Helens has some awesome hiking trails. I'm hoping to get a permit to summit it next year.

And I'll take the Gorge, Mt. Hood, Oregon Coast, etc. over the Riverwalk, Alamo, lake country, etc. :P
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:02 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:52 am

It's an 80 mile drive but I'm probably 40-50 miles away as the crow flies. And Mt St Helens has some awesome hiking trails. I'm hoping to get a permit to summit it next year.

And I'll take the Gorge, Mt. Hood, Oregon Coast, etc. over the Riverwalk, Alamo, lake country, etc. :P
You'll also take the 45 inches of rain spread over 150+ days. The ONE thing I didn't like about living in the PNW (aside from the politics) was that if you didn't hike/bike/swim/fish/camp/golf in the rain, you pretty much didn't hike/bike/swim/fish/camp/golf. Because it seemed it was always either raining, just got done raining, or was about to start raining.

That being said, I LOVE the Oregon coast. Probably my favorite section of coastline in America. :nod: :nod: :nod:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Portland, OR
Chicago, IL
San Francisco, CA
Minneapolis, MN
Burlington, VT
....and new cities are being added every day.

ALL bought into the wokeness of "defund the police" in response to the George Floyd fiasco and all are now SERIOUSLY regretting that decision. Portland's mayor: "people don't feel safe walking downtown anymore". San Francisco's mayor: "It's time to take back our city from the bullshit that has destroyed it"...Chicago mayor: "Biden, please send the feds to help us regain control of our streets!"...Burlington Mayor: "This process wasn't really thought through..."...

Gee, I wonder who might have said that this was a bad idea? Fuckin' retards, the lot of 'em. You reap what you sow, bitches.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:53 pm Portland, OR
Chicago, IL
San Francisco, CA
Minneapolis, MN
Burlington, VT

ALL bought into the wokeness of "defund the police" in response to the George Floyd fiasco and all are now SERIOUSLY regretting that decision. Portland's mayor: "people don't feel safe walking downtown anymore". San Francisco's mayor: "It's time to take back our city from the bullshit that has destroyed it"...Chicago mayor: "Biden, please send the feds to help us regain control of our streets!"...Burlington Mayor: "This process wasn't really thought through..."...

Gee, I wonder who might have said that this was a bad idea? Fuckin' retards, the lot of 'em. You reap what you sow, bitches.
Yep. I know a lot of people that used to go to Minneapolis for Twins/Vikings games, weekends away, shopping, etc. Nobody is going there now.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Chicago, IL
San Francisco, CA
Minneapolis, MN
Burlington, VT

Don’t forget Philly. No 2021 increase to the police budget (despite 6.8% Bidenflation, so an inflation adjusted cut).
https://6abc.com/philadelphia-news-poli ... d/6237686/
and viola! Record homicides this year.
Homicide record set in 1990 was 500. A few years ago was in the upper 200s per year. As of a few days ago, for 2021, 535. Probably gonna hit 550..
Meanwhile, Philly’s left wing, soft on crime, tone deaf DA, says their is no crisis.. :ohno:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

BDKJMU wrote:
Chicago, IL
San Francisco, CA
Minneapolis, MN
Burlington, VT

Don’t forget Philly. No 2021 increase to the police budget (despite 6.8% Bidenflation, so an inflation adjusted cut).
Homicide record set in 1990 was 500. A few years ago was in the upper 200s per year. As of a few days ago, for 2021, 535. Probably gonna hit 550..
Meanwhile, Philly’s left wing, soft on crime, tone deaf DA, says their is no crisis.. :ohno:
Yeah but Philly experiences the same bump when the Eagles lose in the playoffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:29 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Don’t forget Philly. No 2021 increase to the police budget (despite 6.8% Bidenflation, so an inflation adjusted cut).
Yeah but Philly experiences the same bump when the Eagles lose in the playoffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speaking of crime and Philly, Karma is a bitch! :lol: :rofl:
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democr ... iladelphia

Too bad it didn’t happen to Philly’s uber left DA Larry Krasner, who’s goal is to put as many criminals back in the steets as possible..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Auditor dings Portland firefighter for washing personal car on city time
A months-long investigation by the Portland Auditor’s Office has reached a conclusion following a fraud tip last summer: that a firefighter wasted taxpayer resources by washing his personal vehicle with city water while on the clock.
Homelessness is out of control, crime is rampant and the City of Portland is worried about firefighters washing their personal vehicles with city water.

Nero fiddled while Rome burned ...
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:22 pm Auditor dings Portland firefighter for washing personal car on city time
A months-long investigation by the Portland Auditor’s Office has reached a conclusion following a fraud tip last summer: that a firefighter wasted taxpayer resources by washing his personal vehicle with city water while on the clock.
Homelessness is out of control, crime is rampant and the City of Portland is worried about firefighters washing their personal vehicles with city water.

Nero fiddled while Rome burned ...
Nanny state is going to nanny state.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:18 am

It's a downward spiral that Portland's elected leaders don't understand and can't figure out how to address.

They've allowed the homeless to build camps in a variety of places because they want to respect the economically disadvantaged, mentally ill, addicts, etc. and they don't care about the impact on working people or property/business owners. Homeless camps have become a haven for drugs and violence that spills out into nearby neighborhoods. They waited way too long to start sweeping the homeless camps and the drugs and violence have become a part of the culture that follows them from camp to camp. Drive-by shootings and shoot-outs are becoming more common.

Add in the low morale, staffing shortages, and operational constraints placed on the Portland police and you have a recipe for violence and crime spiraling out of control. The results of defunding the police are being felt but city leaders don't have the courage to admit it.

I live in Portland but I vote and receive services from a nearby suburb. That's good for me because I have a lot more faith that suburban police will show up if there's a call than I do in the Portland police. There's a homeless camp a 1/4 mile from my moorage and I'm thankful that the moorage owner put in a security gate to enter the parking lot from Marine Drive. If it wasn't there my car would be getting broken into on a regular basis.

There is also a security gate to go down the ramp to my dock so a tweaker would need to swim to get to my house which actually happened earlier this week. Some dude climbed down the levee on the vacant lot next to my moorage and then walked along the shore to the shortest point to swim to my dock. He swam across buck naked and then broke into a neighbor's house and took a shower. The police were called and were waiting for him when he exited. He told them his "aura" told him to jump in the river and swim over.

I hear gunshots and street racers on Marine Drive at night on a regular basis. The homeless have also been filling in the path along Marine Drive that I used to like to walk when the weather was iffy. It's a great recreational path that is no longer safe. The houseless are obtaining some great waterfront property ...

I lived in the Austin neighborhood of Chicago so I know how to be careful but I have been thinking that it's time to take Cid and 93's advice on a shotgun. If someone takes me out it will likely be random bad luck.

Let me know if Kalm.1 needs a guardian angel.
I don't think anybody anywhere builds homeless camps because they want to "respect the economically disadvantaged". That isn't how our system works. :ohno:

Remington 870 pump-action, 20" barrel - use a small size shot, it will be just as lethal at close range and you won't kill somebody in the next room accidently.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:54 pm I don't think anybody anywhere builds homeless camps because they want to "respect the economically disadvantaged". That isn't how our system works. :ohno:

Remington 870 pump-action, 20" barrel - use a small size shot, it will be just as lethal at close range and you won't kill somebody in the next room accidently.
They didn't build the homeless camps, they've allowed the homeless camps because they want to respect the economically disadvantaged, mentally ill, addicts, etc.

Marine Drive looks like this now ...

But let's focus on a complaint or two about firefighters washing their personal vehicles with city water during their downtime rather than the thousands of complaints about homeless camps.

And you're late to the party on the Remington 870. CID and 93 recommended it back in August.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:15 pm
houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:54 pm I don't think anybody anywhere builds homeless camps because they want to "respect the economically disadvantaged". That isn't how our system works. :ohno:

They didn't build the homeless camps, they've allowed the homeless camps because they want to respect the economically disadvantaged, mentally ill, addicts, etc.

But let's focus on a complaint or two about firefighters washing their personal vehicles with city water during their downtime rather than the thousands of complaints about homeless camps.

And you're late to the party on the Remington 870. CID and 93 recommended it back in August.
Homeless camps are a small price to pay for the free market. :)

Honesty though…this all sucks. :ohno:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Hard to feel sorry for anyone living there, after all odds are they voted in people that supported these policies.

Regarding the well water, I'd be more worried about the hydrocarbons from the abandoned cars than people crapping on the floor near the well. But yeah neither are good.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Nope. Respect/sympathy have zero to do with what "they" want.

Be careful with firearms, bro. Don't leave it where a burglar will easily find it. And don't be like these assclowns that think they're bulletproof beacause they have a gun. Understand the concept of "the drop" before you do something stupid. I got my 870 (27" barrel) for keeping coyotes away from the chickens but the fact that it makes a good home defense weapon did have something to do with my choice.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:42 am

Be careful with firearms, bro. Don't leave it where a burglar will easily find it. And don't be like these assclowns that think they're bulletproof beacause they have a gun. Understand the concept of "the drop" before you do something stupid. I got my 870 (27" barrel) for keeping coyotes away from the chickens but the fact that it makes a good home defense weapon did have something to do with my choice.
They're your people (pseudo-progressive, illiberal mini-Bernies) so I'll take your word that respect/sympathy have zero to do with what they want.

I'm not a gun person so I wish I didn't need one. Unfortunately, it looks like having one is the smart move so I'll get one. I'll also get a gun locker so a houseless person can't break in while I'm out, find it and use it on me when I return.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:52 am
houndawg wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:42 am

They're your people (pseudo-progressive, illiberal mini-Bernies) so I'll take your word that respect/sympathy have zero to do with what they want.

I'm not a gun person so I wish I didn't need one. Unfortunately, it looks like having one is the smart move so I'll get one. I'll also get a gun locker so a houseless person can't break in while I'm out, find it and use it on me when I return.
mini-Bernies would be doing a better job :coffee:

And use small shot that will stay in the room - don't want to kill your neighbor while he's taking a shit if you miss the target.