Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Re: Hey Seattle and Portland.....

Post by Col Hogan »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:14 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:09 am

What is a genuine BLM protester?
A Nevada mormon who drives to Oregon and takes over a National wildlife refuge?
That’s funny... :rofl:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:29 am
DuckDuckGriz wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:12 am What do you think that a genuine BLM protestor is drawing attention to? Key word here is: genuine. Not someone who simply labels themselves as such.
Their desire for reparations and a redistribution of wealth.
But blm isn't Marxist though. :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:12 am
SDHornet wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:38 pm

Let's go with an easy one and start with gangs and drugs. Where were the nation-wide marches claiming "black lives matter" for all the folks caught in the crossfire of the thugs involved in pushing drugs in their local communities? Then there is the plight brought on by those communities that have to deal with that shit.

We can even go a few layers deeper and talk about what policies led to people having to result/consider engaging in such crime to begin with. What policies led to inner city working class neighborhoods to have so little hope to begin with?

Then a tangential discussion can be held on the idea that most of these "activists" wouldn't likely denigrate themselves with being involved in a skilled trade that could offer some hope of a way out, but rather encourage attending college to get some liberal arts degree so they too can become an "activist".

:coffee:
You're all over the place here.

So, do you think that "Black Lives Matter" is mutually exclusive to the following?:

1. A disproportionate rate of incarcerations for drug offenses, which you mentioned - such as marijuana & crack cocaine (I understand in part perpetuated by the 1994 Crime Bill).

2. Your second paragraph - economic disparity. Paragraphs 1 and 2 are certainly related.

3. The third paragraph doesn't make sense to me. People in these communities are choosing to go to college vs get into a skilled trade? What? Wouldn't that freedom of choice contradict your second paragraph?

What do you think that a genuine BLM protestor is drawing attention to? Key word here is: genuine. Not someone who simply labels themselves as such.
I'm all over the place because a myriad of issues plague the inner cities. Not one thing will fix it, certainly not the Marxist ideals that blm inc, is spewing.

The 3rd paragraph is more of an acknowledgement of the education system pimping the idea of getting a degree being the end all be all. Certainly it's a way out, but there is no guarantee a degree gets you success. Given the current status of race relations, guess what someone will be called if they go to the inner cities promoting the idea of getting a skilled trade instead of a college degree gets called?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:09 am Given the current status of race relations, guess what someone will be called if they go to the inner cities promoting the idea of getting a skilled trade instead of a college degree gets called?
Would they call him a Booker T Washington? :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

The New York Times new economic reporter...

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:19 am

:lol:

I'm actually curious. Is a genuine BLM protester someone of color who feels threatened by law enforcement? A white, Gen X or Zer who is joining the fight against oppression?
It's a great question and I think what I'm trying to do is boil down to the mission of the protests away from the rhetoric of those who think it's a) a terrorist group or b) protest under BLM without truly knowing what they're doing or saying. I'm also trying to answer "why aren't they out there protesting X and X and X" - while trying to figure out what it is people think they're protesting for

I think the core mission of BLM is to call attention to racial disparity in police justice and economic disparity. I'm not asking who these people "are," though I think that's a valid topic too.

Everythings' gotten so clouded. Sort of like Colin Kaepernick's truly peaceful protest. Kneeling to call attention and drive conversation to police brutality. That became a debate over the anthem. Which became a debate over the flag. Which became a debate over the troops. Which became exploited by every brand and television network and became a debate about politics in sport.

Asking "why aren't they out there protesting black on black crime, drugs, economic disparity" truly shows that we've allowed the sensation to drive away from the root point.
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:09 am

What is a genuine BLM protester?
This country would never stand for that type of anarchist behavior and we would immediately come to the defense of our armed civil servants and encourage them to crack heads in order to establish law and order.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:37 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:19 am :lol:

I'm actually curious. Is a genuine BLM protester someone of color who feels threatened by law enforcement? A white, Gen X or Zer who is joining the fight against oppression?
It's a great question and I think what I'm trying to do is boil down to the mission of the protests away from the rhetoric of those who think it's a) a terrorist group or b) protest under BLM without truly knowing what they're doing or saying. I'm also trying to answer "why aren't they out there protesting X and X and X" - while trying to figure out what it is people think they're protesting for

I think the core mission of BLM is to call attention to racial disparity in police justice and economic disparity. I'm not asking who these people "are," though I think that's a valid topic too.

Everythings' gotten so clouded. Sort of like Colin Kaepernick's truly peaceful protest. Kneeling to call attention and drive conversation to police brutality. That became a debate over the anthem. Which became a debate over the flag. Which became a debate over the troops. Which became exploited by every brand and television network and became a debate about politics in sport.

Asking "why aren't they out there protesting black on black crime, drugs, economic disparity" truly shows that we've allowed the sensation to drive away from the root point.
No it hasn’t because the stats show the root point BY FAR has to be black on black crime.
viewtopic.php?p=1312046#p1312046
Also posted this earlier months ago:
According to the Washington Post database, 1028 people (all races) were shot and killed by police in 2019. 41 unarmed.
White: 19
Black: 9
Hispanic: 6
Other: 4
Unknown: 3
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... -database/
700k full time sworn police in the US, over 800k if include part time.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/191 ... nforcement
Around 60 million people a year have contacts with the police
https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=6406
I’ve beard stated the number of total contacts well over 300 million a year (heard Bernard Kerik said 375 million).

There’s a debateable percentage of ‘bad cops’ and bad shoots every year for sure, but for every George Floyd, there’s literally hundreds and hundreds of black on black homicides. Anything that doesn’t address black on black crime 1st and foremost, far above anything else, isn’t going to accomplish squat, and will, and is, already leading to MORE black deaths. Calls for defunding (and even abolishing) the police, and the demonization of the ‘racist’ police by the BLMers has lead to a Ferguson/Baltimore effect in many cities. When the police are harrassed, called racists, and have their resources cut, the 1st place they slow roll answering calls from (or not answer at all) are the minority, high crime neighborhoods who make up a disproportionate % of the calls, as ElCid laid out on the other thread several months ago. Check out the skyrocketing murder rates in a number of cities. These are a direct result of actions by BLM.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Oregon State Police and Multnomah County Sheriff Won’t Help Portland Police With Crowd Control at Saturday’s Proud Boy Rally
The Portland Police Bureau tried and failed to get assistance from other law enforcement agencies in controlling the crowds at Saturday's planned Proud Boy rally and leftist counterprotest.

In a Sept. 22 email to Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell, the Multnomah County sheriff and the Oregon State Police superintendent cited the decision by Mayor Ted Wheeler to ban all use of tear gas for crowd control as the reason they won't help at the protests.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:47 pm Oregon State Police and Multnomah County Sheriff Won’t Help Portland Police With Crowd Control at Saturday’s Proud Boy Rally
The Portland Police Bureau tried and failed to get assistance from other law enforcement agencies in controlling the crowds at Saturday's planned Proud Boy rally and leftist counterprotest.

In a Sept. 22 email to Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell, the Multnomah County sheriff and the Oregon State Police superintendent cited the decision by Mayor Ted Wheeler to ban all use of tear gas for crowd control as the reason they won't help at the protests.

You're doing a great job, Ted.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

The problem is he’s “calling attention” to .4% of the problem while blatantly ignoring the 99% problem. As does BLM. If black lives TRULY mattered, they’d focus on the ACTUAL problem and not the politically expedient one.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:47 pm Oregon State Police and Multnomah County Sheriff Won’t Help Portland Police With Crowd Control at Saturday’s Proud Boy Rally

Looks like Governor is stepping in.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.opb.or ... utType=amp
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

This begs a couple of questions ...

Why isn't the governor busting on the left-wing rioters and looters the way she is the Proud Boys and other right-wing groups? You can't tell me that the free expression of the rioters and looters isn't "fueled by hate and coupled with an intent to incite violence" so she needs to "to do everything she can as governor to ensure the safety of Oregonians" when it comes to the riots and looting as well.

It would seem that the state police and Multnomah County Sheriff's office are being forced to help the Portland Police with no change to the ban on tear gas. How many instances of "blue flu" will there be in those departments this weekend?

How will Gov Brown, Ted Wheeler, etc. react if the the visiting LEO's focus their efforts on arresting counter-protesters?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

What a gigantic hypocritical bitch. :dunce: :dunce:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I always felt that if Kaepernick had gotten out in front of the narrative and said he wanted to protest, but still show respect by kneeling for the national anthem, people would have bought it. Of course keeping his rhetoric down, would have helped as well.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:25 pm

I always felt that if Kaepernick had gotten out in front of the narrative and said he wanted to protest, but still show respect by kneeling for the national anthem, people would have bought it. Of course keeping his rhetoric down, would have helped as well.
I don't think Kaepernick made the necessary effort to ground this, that's true. And I also think it's easy in hindsight for us to say.
Particularly because the national anthem, outside of the Super Bowl and in major moments post-9/11 had never been seen as a 'you're with us if you stand, against us if not, kinda thing.'

I don't remember national anthems of regular season games being any sort of deal.

When I went to Griz games as a kid it was 1) national anthem, 2) Monte, 3) team storms out
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:00 pm

I don't think Kaepernick made the necessary effort to ground this, that's true. And I also think it's easy in hindsight for us to say.
Particularly because the national anthem, outside of the Super Bowl and in major moments post-9/11 had never been seen as a 'you're with us if you stand, against us if not, kinda thing.'

I don't remember national anthems of regular season games being any sort of deal.

When I went to Griz games as a kid it was 1) national anthem, 2) Monte, 3) team storms out
This is a very good discussion. :nod:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

1. I'm pretty sure Kaepernick sat on the bench during the anthem initially before taking a knee.
2. As I said from the beginning, what he did doesn't move me to anger nearly as much as bewilderment. From day 1, I looked at this from a messaging angle and, to me, it's poor marketing. If I'm a candy manufacturer, I would not make commercials that make fun of fat people. It seems that the people that Kaepernick wanted to "get the message to" are the people most upset about the disrespect to the anthem/flag.......and missing the point of the message. How many good commercials have you seen where you can recall the commercial but can't remember the product being advertised? And those didn't piss off people at the same time.
3. No football team, at any level, should be on the field for the National Anthem. Too emotional a sport for a lull like that before kickoff. Final pep talk in locker room >>>> Field entrance >>>> Kickoff.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:08 am

This is a very good discussion. :nod:
I also think if Kap had done it while he was a starter, it might have meant something. But he didn’t start doing it until he’d been benched....smelled of sour grapes. Agreed on the “getting out in front” though...just an explanation, before it blew up, might have tamped it down.

Now, they protest/riot/assault/burn at the drop of a hat, so it’s never gonna be right again.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Some Portland police officers to be deputized as federal officers for Saturday’s Proud Boy rally, counter-protests
“Portland officers have been serving on the front lines of nightly protests for months, sustaining injuries and encountering unspeakable violence,” Hampton told The Oregonian/OregonLive. “If I am to send them into harm’s way this weekend, on my authority, I’m going to ensure they have all the protections and authority of OSP troopers.”
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:35 pm

The problem is he’s “calling attention” to .4% of the problem while blatantly ignoring the 99% problem. As does BLM. If black lives TRULY mattered, they’d focus on the ACTUAL problem and not the politically expedient one.
I agree. But that responsibility isn't exclusive to BLM - it should be asked of all of us.
I'm pessimistic that Americans as a whole have any patience to actually get underneath the rhetoric that's so easy for all of us to lazily hop on to.

To be honest, that's a major reason I've come back to this board. :thumb:
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:26 am Some Portland police officers to be deputized as federal officers for Saturday’s Proud Boy rally, counter-protests
“Portland officers have been serving on the front lines of nightly protests for months, sustaining injuries and encountering unspeakable violence,” Hampton told The Oregonian/OregonLive. “If I am to send them into harm’s way this weekend, on my authority, I’m going to ensure they have all the protections and authority of OSP troopers.”

Well, this is an interesting move in response to your earlier question about how Gov Brown and Ted Wheeler will handle this.
Gov Brown hijacked authority here by deputizing PPB to get around the stifling restrictions Ted Wheeler's put on them, without putting the backlash from the left back on Wheeler.

What a mess.
Last edited by DuckDuckGriz on Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

CAA Flagship wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:39 am

1. I'm pretty sure Kaepernick sat on the bench during the anthem initially before taking a knee.
2. As I said from the beginning, what he did doesn't move me to anger nearly as much as bewilderment. From day 1, I looked at this from a messaging angle and, to me, it's poor marketing. If I'm a candy manufacturer, I would not make commercials that make fun of fat people. It seems that the people that Kaepernick wanted to "get the message to" are the people most upset about the disrespect to the anthem/flag.......and missing the point of the message. How many good commercials have you seen where you can recall the commercial but can't remember the product being advertised? And those didn't piss off people at the same time.
3. No football team, at any level, should be on the field for the National Anthem. Too emotional a sport for a lull like that before kickoff. Final pep talk in locker room >>>> Field entrance >>>> Kickoff.
He did sit prior to kneeling.

Ironically, it was former Green Beret Nate Boyer who talked him into kneeling:

"We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammates," Boyer tells HBO. "Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave, you know, to show respect. When we're on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... jxaylrcsse
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:53 am
Well, this is an interesting move in response to your earlier question about how Gov Brown and Ted Wheeler will handle this.
Gov Brown hijacked authority here by deputizing PPB to get around the stifling restrictions Ted Wheeler's put on them, without putting the backlash from the left back on Wheeler.

What a mess.
Did Gov Brown hijack the authority by deputizing the Rapid Response Team? Or was it Oregon State Police Supt. Travis Hampton bypassing both Wheeler and Brown? My money's on Hampton.

As a local, do you think Multnomah County DA Michael Thomas will press charges against the Corbett road-block vigilantes after letting Portland rioters and looters off the hook?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:56 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:39 am
He did sit prior to kneeling.

Ironically, it was former Green Beret Nate Boyer who talked him into kneeling:

"We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammates," Boyer tells HBO. "Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave, you know, to show respect. When we're on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... jxaylrcsse
:nod: Kap tried to frame the debate but a bunch of right-wing Nancys got all bent out of shape and made a big deal out of it.