New psychology research finds extreme protest actions reduce popular support for social movements

Political discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: New psychology research finds extreme protest actions reduce popular support for social movements

Post by AZGrizFan »

Chizzang wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:25 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:14 pm

What does burning down the businesses and ruining the livelihoods of thousands of innocent people accomplish? Is that the “price we must all pay” for the death of one man?
one man..?

:lol:

no its the price for that exact type of response
God Bless you AZ you are a treasure - thank you
Why don’t they care about the 94% of black men that are killed by other black men? :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Re: New psychology research finds extreme protest actions reduce popular support for social movements

Post by Chizzang »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:07 pm

one man..?

Why don’t they care about the 94% of black men that are killed by other black men? :coffee:
I don't really care about any of it honestly - certainly not enough to fight about it - and I think its shitty to pretend in this scenario
so I'm just going to get out of the way and watch without judgment
there are people willing to die for this cause right now
and honestly I kinda respect that

:nod:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:07 pm Why don’t they care about the 94% of black men that are killed by other black men? :coffee:
I don't really care about any of it honestly - certainly not enough to fight about it - and I think its shitty to pretend in this scenario

I haven’t seen anyone in this yet who I thought was prepared to die. And I’ve seen a lot of riots up close and personal

My experience with the psychology of rioting is that there is safety in numbers - and any time aggrieved groups can reach a critical mass that public safety cannot handle they will act from a sense of herd security

If police were truly unrestrained killers or we were really a fascist state you would see empty streets right now. We have a problem but it isn’t the Warsaw Ghetto - not even close. Everybody, even the rioters, still has plenty to lose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:56 pm
Chizzang wrote:

I haven’t seen anyone in this yet who I thought was prepared to die. And I’ve seen a lot of riots up close and personal

My experience with the psychology of rioting is that there is safety in numbers - and any time aggrieved groups can reach a critical mass that public safety cannot handle they will act from a sense of herd security

If police were truly unrestrained killers or we were really a fascist state you would see empty streets right now. We have a problem but it isn’t the Warsaw Ghetto - not even close. Everybody, even the rioters, still has plenty to lose
presently our police departments are disgracing themselves in plain sight to the world - with the occasional outstretched hand of peace
the veil of bullish!t has been momentarily pulled back

I'm curious to see if President upside down and backwards Bible can sweep it all back under the carpet or if he grabs more matches

I've got a prediction - he continues to blame Obama and Joe Biden
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:14 pm

What does burning down the businesses and ruining the livelihoods of thousands of innocent people accomplish? Is that the “price we must all pay” for the death of one man?
one man..?

Ok 9.

According to the Washington Post database, 1028 people (all races) were shot and killed by police in 2019. 41 unarmed.
White: 19
Black: 9
Hispanic: 6
Other: 4
Unknown: 3
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... -database/

Go look at the lates FBI crime stats. Only 3% black homicide vics (most of whom were armed) were killed by police (I’ve posted this in other threads with link). And not all the cops are white.
89% of black homicide vics were killed by other blacks. Memorial Day weekend in Chicago, 82 shot, 19 fatally. https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/top-chic ... 29827.html
One weekend, 1 city. One week wonder what was the race of most of the shooters and vics is?

But by all means, lets riot in a 150+ US cities over the police killing of unarmed blacks, a tiny fraction of 1% of black homicides every year..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Chizzang wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:25 pm one man..?

Because................and stuff

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Chizzang wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:41 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:07 pm

They’re dying for TV’s. 98% of those rioters don’t know the ‘cause’ they’re rioting for. :nod: :nod:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Chizzang wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:04 pm
CID1990 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:56 pm

presently our police departments are disgracing themselves in plain sight to the world - with the occasional outstretched hand of peace

I'm curious to see if President upside down and backwards Bible can sweep it all back under the carpet or if he grabs more matches

The only people disgracing themselves are the leftists who just 8 days ago were raging against those who were marching to open the country and are now out protesting and rioting and stealing TV’s and killing/attacking innocent people. Again, if there’s a spike in COVID cases in two weeks we know who to blame. You can’t support THESE “protests” while simultaneously shouting down the ones from a week ago.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:02 pm
Chizzang wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:41 pm

They’re dying for TV’s. 98% of those rioters don’t know the ‘cause’ they’re rioting for. :nod: :nod:
Rioter and looters are doing it for one cause, their own benefit.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:04 pm

The only people disgracing themselves are the leftists who just 8 days ago were raging against those who were marching to open the country and are now out protesting and rioting and stealing TV’s and killing/attacking innocent people. Again, if there’s a spike in COVID cases in two weeks we know who to blame. You can’t support THESE “protests” while simultaneously shouting down the ones from a week ago.
Protest and riots are not the same thing, even though the MSN is trying to spin it that way.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:17 pm

Protest and riots are not the same thing, even though the MSN is trying to spin it that way.
Agreed. Some are protesting. Most are rioting.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

I'm just a bystander
but people are angry - the country is completely divided - and you and I disagree
and yes our police are disgracing themselves in front of the world
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Chizzang wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:42 pm

I'm just a bystander
but people are angry - the country is completely divided - and you and I disagree
If they’re disgracing themselves its by allowing these animals to continue on night after night.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:04 pm The only people disgracing themselves are the leftists who just 8 days ago were raging against those who were marching to open the country and are now out protesting and rioting and stealing TV’s and killing/attacking innocent people. Again, if there’s a spike in COVID cases in two weeks we know who to blame. You can’t support THESE “protests” while simultaneously shouting down the ones from a week ago.
I'm just a bystander
So what do you suggest that the police do?

Police departments in this country aren’t set up for large scale civil unrest. And yet governors and mayors utilize them as they see fit anyway.

In Charleston on the first night, the police pulled back from King Street at the order of the mayor, and it was trashed.

The next day, the taxpayers and business owners got in his ear and he then ordered CPD to clear out Marion Square, completely, no exceptions. So they then ordered peaceful protesters to leave, they refused, and the riot teams used tear gas and targeted arrests to clear them out. And it was a lawful order - from the mayor.

In a few weeks and months we’ll see these same politicians replacing the “bad” chiefs with new, “good” chiefs (they’ll be mostly female and black) and then we’ll wait until the next cop with a history of being heavy handed with union protections kills another black man on camera and then we will do this all over again

This is one of the reasons I got out of law enforcement- because I got tired of doing what the elected leaders had me do until someone complains, and then those same elected leaders allow me to be “da police” and take the blame for their own idiocy (and then replace the police chief with even bigger idiots)

I tell young people these days to RUN NOT WALK away from any idea of a career in law enforcement - because no matter they do they’ll be “da police”

I’ll answer my first question to you - I personally would not go anywhere near these riots. But then I’d be fired. So I quit.

Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:22 pm
Chizzang wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:42 pm

I'm just a bystander
If they’re disgracing themselves its by allowing these animals to continue on night after night.
We disagree
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:25 pm
Chizzang wrote:
I'm just a bystander
So what do you suggest that the police do?

Police departments in this country aren’t set up for large scale civil unrest. And yet governors and mayors utilize them as they see fit anyway.

In Charleston on the first night, the police pulled back from King Street at the order of the mayor, and it was trashed.

The next day, the taxpayers and business owners got in his ear and he then ordered CPD to clear out Marion Square, completely, no exceptions. So they then ordered peaceful protesters to leave, they refused, and the riot teams used tear gas and targeted arrests to clear them out. And it was a lawful order - from the mayor.

In a few weeks and months we’ll see these same politicians replacing the “bad” chiefs with new, “good” chiefs (they’ll be mostly female and black) and then we’ll wait until the next cop with a history of being heavy handed with union protections kills another black man on camera and then we will do this all over again

This is one of the reasons I got out of law enforcement- because I got tired of doing what the elected leaders had me do until someone complains, and then those same elected leaders allow me to be “da police” and take the blame for their own idiocy (and then replace the police chief with even bigger idiots)

I tell young people these days to RUN NOT WALK away from any idea of a career in law enforcement - because no matter they do they’ll be “da police”

I’ll answer my first question to you - I personally would not go anywhere near these riots. But then I’d be fired. So I quit.
I don't necessarily disagree that it is mostly hopeless
but they are disgracing themselves
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:25 pm So what do you suggest that the police do?

I don't necessarily disagree that it is mostly hopeless
but they are disgracing themselves
They are also being failed by their political leadership in a thousand different ways.

As long as the focus is narrowed on the police, the people who set their policies skate

That guy who murdered George Floyd had a history of internal affairs complaints and investigations. Why was he even still wearing a badge?

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:02 pm

Yup. Saw a clip of an arrested looter in LA (or Santa Monica, forget which) and he basically said he was out to steal stuff for cash and that Floyd had very little to do with why he was looting.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:58 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 pm

Yup. Saw a clip of an arrested looter in LA (or Santa Monica, forget which) and he basically said he was out to steal stuff for cash and that Floyd had very little to do with why he was looting.
Yep. Anarchists on both sides. But most protesters aren’t causing the problems.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:27 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:17 pm

Did you conduct a poll?

That’s like saying some of the ammosexual cosplayers were protesting for freedom but most were there to simply spread Covid.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
SDHornet wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:58 pm Yup. Saw a clip of an arrested looter in LA (or Santa Monica, forget which) and he basically said he was out to steal stuff for cash and that Floyd had very little to do with why he was looting.
Zero “protesters” are causing problems.

If they are causing problems then they aren’t protesters.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:55 am
kalm wrote:

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:32 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:27 pm

Did you conduct a poll?

That’s like saying some of the ammosexual cosplayers were protesting for freedom but most were there to simply spread Covid.
By proclamation of the DFL Governor of Minnesota, anyone out after the 8pm curfew was not a protester.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:03 am
Col Hogan wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:08 pm As we watch certain cities burn, there are two things I hope most good people can agree with...

1 - Peaceful protests against injustice such as the killing of George Floyd are justified and the pinnacle of American political expression
Fuck off. Kneeling during the national anthem was peaceful protest. How did that go over?
If you check, I agreed that Kaepernick had the right to take a knee...I just stated that it was an insult to the people who fought and died for his right to do what he did...

So, fuck off snowflake...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:55 am
kalm wrote:

Agreed. I also think the peaceful protests were hijacked by those wanting to incite riots (be it antifa, white supremacists, whoever you want to blame). Once a few smashed windows and fires got the ball rolling the rest was inevitable. Having local PD standing by doing nothing allowed it to snowball even more and of course the recent new bail laws in some states that make it catch and release for a lot of offenses isn't helping. All this coming on the heels where the Chinese Flu has 40M people unemployed. A perfect storm.