New psychology research finds extreme protest actions reduce popular support for social movements

Political discussions
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Re: New psychology research finds extreme protest actions reduce popular support for social movements

Post by Chizzang »

Pwns wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:42 pm
Chizzang wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:33 pm

I love Pwns "Nothing is broken" if only black people weren't so violent and dangerous
Chicken and the Egg spin on American History

And BTW the American civil war Southerners were correct
The bible, as well as Jesus, pretty much spell out that slavery is proper
its all there in print

but back to black violence
unfortunately we can't put the horses back in the barn and return to colored water fountains and segregated restaurants
America will now forever be broken
Can we skip the argle bargle and strawman part of the conversation and get to the heart of why you're determined to defend protests even if you have to push back against things I say you'd normally agree with?
there is a difference between defending something and not having a problem with something
I cannot defend the violence - I also don't have a problem with it
but the peaceful protesters are "heroes" by today's standards of application of the word

:geek:

That said
How did we get here - when everything was so good in the 50's
Such a shame
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: New psychology research finds extreme protest actions reduce popular support for social movements

Post by UNI88 »

Chizzang wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:13 pm
Can we skip the argle bargle and strawman part of the conversation and get to the heart of why you're determined to defend protests even if you have to push back against things I say you'd normally agree with?
there is a difference between defending something and not having a problem with something
I cannot defend the violence - I also don't have a problem with it
but the peaceful protesters are "heroes" by today's standards of application of the word

:geek:

That said
How did we get here - when everything was so good in the 50's
Such a shame
While some social conservatives might look back at the 50's with nostalgia, life was worse for African Americans then so we have made some progress (thanks to protesters like MLK Jr).
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:07 pm

1). Why do protests need defending?

2). Wait till some white guy in a suit gets his neck stepped on...
Dude. There are so many fucking examples of #2 that they’re impossible to count. Yet, miraculously, no riots. :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Chizzang wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:08 pm
Col Hogan wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:51 pm

Who has attacked the protests???
do you want the list of before or after the president had peaceful protesters gassed..?

:lol:
Its still Fake News no matter how many times its repeated.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:07 pm 1). Why do protests need defending?

Dude. There are so many fucking examples of #2 that they’re impossible to count. Yet, miraculously, no riots. :coffee:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... r.amp.html

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:30 pm
Chizzang wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:08 pm

do you want the list of before or after the president had peaceful protesters gassed..?

:lol:
So fake that the fake government of fake Australia is demanding the US answer as to why two fake Australian journalists were fake beaten and fake gassed on fake live TV.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:34 pm
So fake that the fake government of fake Australia is demanding the US answer as to why two fake Australian journalists were fake beaten and fake gassed on fake live TV.
That’s exactly what I was going to present. What happens when the BDK’s no longer have the fake news angle?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:03 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:07 pm

1). Why do protests need defending?

Go dig one up.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:34 pm
No tear GAS was used. Smoke cannisters and pepper balls are not tear GAS. So yeah, they were fake gassed.
Baldy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:47 pm Oops...
Image Image
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Your evidence is a police statement? :rofl:

There were thousands of people there, social media posts, and reporters on live air saying tear gas was being used. (edit: maybe not techincally tear gased according to Skelly's post above, but people aren't going to know the difference when their eyes are in pain).

Also let's not forget the peaceful protests were violently cleared out 25 minutes before the curfew for a photo-op.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:49 pm
There’s no suck thing as an “OC gas cannister”. OC, otherwise known as pepper spray, is not a “gas”.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Honestly, who the fuck cares what was used?

The point is they were give a specific time to clear out, and were subsequently sprayed, gassed, beaten, whatever before that time arrived while peacefully protesting...for a photo-op...at a church where the bishop scolded Trump for his behavior.

Stop defending this sh*t.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:55 pm You're full of shit.

https://www.defense-technology.com/prod ... 76043.html
That says nothing about it being a ‘gas’.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:53 pm
Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:49 pm
There’s no suck thing as an “OC gas cannister”. OC, otherwise known as pepper spray, is not a “gas”.
BDKKK nitpicking away in his defense of Lil' Donnie.

Let's distract people by focusing on whether pepper spray is a gas rather than on whether that was an appropriate time and place to use it.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:53 pm Your evidence is a police statement? :rofl:

There were thousands of people there, social media posts, and reporters on live air saying tear gas was being used. (edit: maybe not techincally tear gased according to Skelly's post above, but people aren't going to know the difference when their eyes are in pain).

Also let's not forget the peaceful protests were violently cleared out 25 minutes before the curfew for a photo-op.
Not matter how many times you call a violent protest peaceful. doesn’t change the fact that it wasn’t a peaceful protest.
At approximately 6:33 pm, violent protestors on H Street NW began throwing projectiles including bricks, frozen water bottles and caustic liquids. The protestors also climbed onto a historic building at the north end of Lafayette Park that was destroyed by arson days prior. Intelligence had revealed calls for violence against the police, and officers found caches of glass bottles, baseball bats and metal poles hidden along the street.

To curtail the violence that was underway, the USPP, following established policy, issued three warnings over a loudspeaker to alert demonstrators on H Street to evacuate the area. Horse mounted patrol, Civil Disturbance Units and additional personnel were used to clear the area. As many of the protestors became more combative, continued to throw projectiles, and attempted to grab officers’ weapons, officers then employed the use of smoke canisters and pepper balls. No tear gas was used by USPP officers or other assisting law enforcement partners to close the area at Lafayette Park. Subsequently, the fence was installed.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:58 pm
Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:55 pm You're full of shit.

https://www.defense-technology.com/prod ... 76043.html
That says nothing about it being a ‘gas’.
Actually it does: SMOKE. It's right in the name and technical specs.

I know you probably skipped basic chemistry, but when something burns, it produces smoke. What is smoke?

"Smoke is a collection of airborne particulates and gases emitted when a material undergoes combustion or pyrolysis, together with the quantity of air that is entrained or otherwise mixed into the mass."
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:57 pm Honestly, who the fuck cares what was used?

The point is they were give a specific time to clear out, and were subsequently sprayed, gassed, beaten, whatever before that time arrived while peacefully protesting...for a photo-op...at a church where the bishop scolded Trump for his behavior.

There you go again. :dunce:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:04 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:57 pm Honestly, who the fuck cares what was used?

There you go again. :dunce:
I'll choose to believe the videos and first-hand accounts of protestors and journalists, instead of police who beat people in order to clear the path for a fascist with a tiny-penis syndrome. I wonder if they had an excuse to say protestors were violent.

Also weird coincidence it became violent (after hours of peace) at the exact time your beloved autocrat needed to go to Church...
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I really don’t understand why the head of the Park Police is saying they didn’t use less-lethal munitions when they obviously did.

I also don’t understand the drama over its use in the first place. As in it’s use is overshadowing the fact that protesters were kicked out of a Lafayette Park in the first place. Bicker over the eviction

CS and CN are literally the least violent crowd control tool out there. In years of police training I never once got hit with a baton or shot with rubber balls, but you had better believe I got gassed. Numerous times. In the Navy too. Multiple times. It’s actually pretty funny running around with a 2 foot string of snot dangling from your nose
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

I agree with that. :thumb:

Bashing heads with shields is more violent. That was also done... to the damn Australian press on live TV. :lol:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)