New psychology research finds extreme protest actions reduce popular support for social movements

Political discussions
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: New psychology research finds extreme protest actions reduce popular support for social movements

Post by CID1990 »

Col Hogan wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:03 am Fuck off. Kneeling during the national anthem was peaceful protest. How did that go over?
If you check, I agreed that Kaepernick had the right to take a knee...I just stated that it was an insult to the people who fought and died for his right to do what he did...

So, fuck off snowflake...
Reek is currently scouring everybody’s posts to see what they said about Kaep
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Re: New psychology research finds extreme protest actions reduce popular support for social movements

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Chizzang wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:04 pm The only people disgracing themselves are the leftists who just 8 days ago were raging against those who were marching to open the country and are now out protesting and rioting and stealing TV’s and killing/attacking innocent people. Again, if there’s a spike in COVID cases in two weeks we know who to blame. You can’t support THESE “protests” while simultaneously shouting down the ones from a week ago.
I'm just a bystander
but people are angry - the country is completely divided - and you and I disagree
and yes our police are disgracing themselves in front of the world
Very few are angry, they are enjoying themselves like never before.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

CID1990 wrote:
Col Hogan wrote: If you check, I agreed that Kaepernick had the right to take a knee...I just stated that it was an insult to the people who fought and died for his right to do what he did...

Kaperdouche is just like a flag burner.

He's an ungrateful POS that has every right to do what he did. We can either choose to like it or not

I don't but I would fight for their right to do so. (The polar opposite of how liberals feel about anything white related)

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Col Hogan wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:59 am
Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:03 am

Fuck off. Kneeling during the national anthem was peaceful protest. How did that go over?
If you check, I agreed that Kaepernick had the right to take a knee...I just stated that it was an insult to the people who fought and died for his right to do what he did...

That's what I never understood. Republicans should have been embracing that. He was using his position to protest at a time when the camera would be on him. He did it peacefully.

It's the National Anthem. It's a song. Do any Republicans have it in their Pandora/Spotify playlists? :roll:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:39 pm
Chizzang wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:43 pm I'm inclined to wonder why anyone would think this protest "should be peaceful"

Why..?
What does peaceful get you - for the sake of argument - what is accomplished these days with peace?
Presently I'm not angry and have nothing to protest but I also think there are people who are and do and should

I'm not sure what its going to get them, maybe nothing... in that case what's the difference
some of them seem ready to die for their cause

Seems just as noble as any other cause
Violence is seldom the answer and it should be the last resort. My hope is that a MLK Jr type leader emerges who can use the violence as a catalyst for real change.

As Malcolm X said about MLK Jr.
I want Dr. King to know that I didn’t come to Selma to make his job difficult. I really did come thinking I could make it easier. If the white people realize what the alternative is, perhaps they will be more willing to hear Dr. King.
3 books that helped my understanding of what it's like to be an African American:
- Black Like Me (by John Howard Griffin)
- Let the Trumpet Sound: Life of Martin Luther King
- The Autobiography of Malcolm X: As Told to Alex Haley
I watched Mandingo and Dolemite films. I think I have a pretty good understanding....
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:21 pm

That's what I never understood. Republicans should have been embracing that. He was using his position to protest at a time when the camera would be on him. He did it peacefully.

It's the National Anthem. It's a song. Do any Republicans have it in their Pandora/Spotify playlists? :roll:
I'm not a Republican but yes I actually have 3 versions of the Star Spangled Banner in my Google Play Library - traditional, Beyonce and Jimi Hendrix. I would cue one of them up at the start of the day when I was announcing youth football games.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:30 am
CID1990 wrote:

He's an ungrateful POS that has every right to do what he did. We can either choose to like it or not

I don't but I would fight for their right to do so. (The polar opposite of how liberals feel about anything white related)
Settle down there Tinkerbell...
everything is going to be okay - white people will be able to go back to their normal lives pretty soon

:lol:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:21 pm

You can KMA...I’m not a Republican...I’m a Constitutional Conservative, forced to hold my nose and vote for a Republican most of the time...

The Democrats are lower than fish shit, and republicans hover just above that...

I have 35 years service in uniform...and agree with any American protesting peacefully...I don’t have to agree with their method, in fact, I can hate their method (like using the National Anthem as part of their protest)...but I support their right to do it...

And in the case of someone protesting on the job, in the uniform of their employer, I would support that person being fired if the employer chose to do that...

Actions have consequences...accept that...

:coffee:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:30 am
CID1990 wrote:

Exactly how I see it and have felt since the beginning (of the kneeling). I don’t like it, but I don’t have to. Its the very thing I spent 23 years in the military defending the right to do.

I did NOT spend 23 years in the military to have dipshits run around and loot and burn innocent businesses and destroy innocent lives in the name of “justice”. If they’re truly angry (Cleets) then their anger is horribly misdirected. Five MORE black men have died at the hands of the looters since this started. Please tell me what sense that makes.....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Kap has been mostly vindicated by what’s happening now and he’s still one of the top 100 QB’s in football. Probably top 40.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:47 pm Kap has been mostly vindicated by what’s happening now and he’s still one of the top 100 QB’s in football. Probably top 40.
Can he make a bad team good?
- Dan from DC
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Chizzang wrote:
ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:30 am Kaperdouche is just like a flag burner.

everything is going to be okay - white people will be able to go back to their normal lives pretty soon

I'm boating and have been for a month. There is nobody less riled up than I

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Col Hogan wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:44 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:21 pm That's what I never understood. Republicans should have been embracing that. He was using his position to protest at a time when the camera would be on him. He did it peacefully.

You can KMA...I’m not a Republican...I’m a Constitutional Conservative, forced to hold my nose and vote for a Republican most of the time...

The Democrats are lower than fish shit, and republicans hover just above that...

I have 35 years service in uniform...and agree with any American protesting peacefully...I don’t have to agree with their method, in fact, I can hate their method (like using the National Anthem as part of their protest)...but I support their right to do it...

And in the case of someone protesting on the job, in the uniform of their employer, I would support that person being fired if the employer chose to do that...

FFS, Col, settle down. No need to get amped up. I wasn't attacking you. I was stating an opinion.

I just find the qualification interesting. "I respect your right to speech...unless that particular song is playing."

It seems to me that people ignore the subject of the protest and instead focus and bicker over the delivery.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Ibanez wrote:
Col Hogan wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:44 pm You can KMA...I’m not a Republican...I’m a Constitutional Conservative, forced to hold my nose and vote for a Republican most of the time...

FFS, Col, settle down. No need to get amped up. I wasn't attacking you. I was stating an opinion.

I just find the qualification interesting. "I respect your right to speech...unless that particular song is playing."

It seems to me that people ignore the subject of the protest and instead focus and bicker over the delivery.
I get it now....... You don't get it.

Got it

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

You want to know why people didn't respond well to Kap?

Kaepernick's protest has an Ilhan Omar, Jeremiah Wright-eseque black separatist vibe to it between the pig cop socks, the apologetics for Assata Shakur, and the fact he chose to make his statement during the national anthem when there are plenty of other ways for an athlete to bring attention to themselves. Whether or not patriotism in sporting even pre-game is sincere or hypocritical is beside the point. Saying that America can do better than it is will always be more well received than "fuk Amerikkka, bruh".

On top of that, the issue is needlessly made into a racial one. The idea there is racial bias in police killings against black people is dubious at best. Black men are more likely to commit violent crimes and more likely to act aggressively towards police. It's just not debatable. Just because young black men are killed out of their proportion tot he population doesn't mean there's police violence does not mean there's bias by police. But of course, the "white privilege" stuff get repeated enough that people always just assume it's got to be true.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:15 pm
Chizzang wrote:

I'm bloating and have been for a month

Have you tried taking some Midol? ;)
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:25 pm
Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:17 pm

It was still peaceful and the 49ers had every right to let him go.
Yep. Bunch of snowflakes getting their panties in a bunch over a guy taking a knee.

Where was the outrage over this ...

And the NFL would never allow a player to promote a personal cause ...

Selective outrage is not a good look.
There was plenty of outrage and mockery. Except it was the people on the Left at the time...

Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Pwns wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:22 pm You want to know why people didn't respond well to Kap?

Kaepernick's protest has an Ilhan Omar, Jeremiah Wright-eseque black separatist vibe to it between the pig cop socks, the apologetics for Assata Shakur, and the fact he chose to make his statement during the national anthem when there are plenty of other ways for an athlete to bring attention to themselves. Whether or not patriotism in sporting even pre-game is sincere or hypocritical is beside the point. Saying that America can do better than it is will always be more well received than "fuk Amerikkka, bruh".

On top of that, the issue is needlessly made into a racial one. The idea there is racial bias in police killings against black people is dubious at best. Black men are more likely to commit violent crimes and more likely to act aggressively towards police. It's just not debatable. Just because young black men are killed out of their proportion tot he population doesn't mean there's police violence does not mean there's bias by police. But of course, the "white privilege" stuff get repeated enough that people always just assume it's got to be true.
I love Pwns "Nothing is broken" if only black people weren't so violent and dangerous
Chicken and the Egg spin on American History

And BTW the American civil war Southerners were correct
The bible, as well as Jesus, pretty much spell out that slavery is proper
its all there in print

but back to black violence
unfortunately we can't put the horses back in the barn and return to colored water fountains and segregated restaurants
America will now forever be broken
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:27 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:25 pm

Yep. Bunch of snowflakes getting their panties in a bunch over a guy taking a knee.

Where was the outrage over this ...

And the NFL would never allow a player to promote a personal cause ...

Selective outrage is not a good look.
There was plenty of outrage and mockery. Except it was the people on the Left at the time...

I remember a little mockery, nowhere near the heart burn level that conks still feel regarding Kap...and Tebow was NOT one of the top 100 QB’s in the game.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Chizzang wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:33 pm
Pwns wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:22 pm You want to know why people didn't respond well to Kap?

I love Pwns "Nothing is broken" if only black people weren't so violent and dangerous

its all there in print

unfortunately we can't put the horses back in the barn and return to colored water fountains and segregated restaurants
Can we skip the argle bargle and strawman part of the conversation and get to the heart of why you're determined to defend protests even if you have to push back against things I say you'd normally agree with?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:42 pm
Chizzang wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:33 pm

its all there in print

Can we skip the argle bargle and strawman part of the conversation and get to the heart of why you're determined to defend protests even if you have to push back against things I say you'd normally agree with?
1). Why do protests need defending?

2). Wait till some white guy in a suit gets his neck stepped on...
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

The other three officers -- Tou Thao, Thomas Lane and J. Alexander Kueng -- are now charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter.

Link
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:07 pm
Pwns wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:42 pm

Who has attacked the protests??? The riots have been, but not the protests...

In fact, the riots have greatly reduced the impacts the protest movement could of had.
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Col Hogan wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:51 pm

Who has attacked the protests???
do you want the list of before or after the president had peaceful protesters gassed..?

:lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Col Hogan wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:51 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:07 pm

Who has attacked the protests??? The riots have been, but not the protests...

In fact, the riots have greatly reduced the impacts the protest movement could of had.
Read Pwns post that I was replying to here.