Here We Go Again (Minneapolis, MN)

Political discussions
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Here We Go Again (Minneapolis, MN)

Post by clenz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:48 am Wright was pulled over because he had Air Freshener hanging from his rearview mirror.
The funny thing about that is I've driven in/through Minnesota and the Cities hundreds of times. There are times I've had things on my mirrors. I have seen hundreds of cars with things in their mirrors.

Strangely none of us were ever pulled over.

Again, take the race thing from this.

This is a police overstep for something that didn't need to be an issue from the start.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

clenz wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:30 am
AZGrizFan wrote:
“Now” that their actions are being recorded? How long have cops been wearing uniform cameras? Dash cams?

A LONG fucking time....
There are many precincts still not wearing body cams.

Even in this trial MPD Chief and those that created the program stated MPD did not start body cams until 2016 into 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, five years of footage in thousands of precincts across the country and there are a handful of damning videos.

Yep, sounds like an epidemic.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Starting to sound like we should just wall off Minnesota and let them have at each other.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

clenz wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:35 am So the officer that killed the 20 year old in Brooklyn Center yesterday drew her gun, keeps it in her hand for minutes, doesn’t realize it’s a gun and not a taser distantly, and shoots him literally point blank in the abdomen

The BCPD Chief has said this officer will not be terminated because he viewed it as an accidental discharge of a firearm

It want wasn’t accidental. It was a shot cop that apparently can’t tell the difference better a taser and a ticking .45

Also, that 20 year old would 10000% have been justified in being tasered. I would have zero issues with it - what may have come after will never be know.

He was very clearly resisting and attempting to flee.

This cop needs to be fired and charged with murder as well.

100% agree.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Can a cop be charged with death by stupidity?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

andy7171 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:09 am clenzy is the new JSO
Never thought I’d see someone more long winded than JSO..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:37 am Starting to sound like we should just wall off Minnesota and let them have at each other.
Land of 10,000 riots..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:43 am Can a cop be charged with death by stupidity?
Exactly. How in the hell does that happen if she has the taser holstered opposite side of her gun? In other words, right handed person has right handed holster for glock, taser on the left, so no accidentally grabbing the wrong one. And aren’t the tasers bright yellow so there can be no mistake?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:41 am
clenz wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:35 am So the officer that killed the 20 year old in Brooklyn Center yesterday drew her gun, keeps it in her hand for minutes, doesn’t realize it’s a gun and not a taser distantly, and shoots him literally point blank in the abdomen

The BCPD Chief has said this officer will not be terminated because he viewed it as an accidental discharge of a firearm

It want wasn’t accidental. It was a shot cop that apparently can’t tell the difference better a taser and a ticking .45

Also, that 20 year old would 10000% have been justified in being tasered. I would have zero issues with it - what may have come after will never be know.

100% agree.
I know the wording/charges are different in different states, but if you unintentionally cause the death of someone through you’re own stupidity, that’s generally not murder, but rather a negligent homicide or manslaughter.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Bad shit happens when you resist arrest. That doesn't make some of cops actions justifiable, but your chances of dying go up a lot needlessly trying to be Billy Badass.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Pwns wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:39 pm Bad shit happens when you resist arrest. That doesn't make some of cops actions justifiable, but your chances of dying go up a lot needlessly trying to be Billy Badass.
He should have been tasered. 20 year old kid panicked and lost his life. Cop appeared remorseful after the shooting, even said oh Shit.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:09 pm
Pwns wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:39 pm Bad shit happens when you resist arrest. That doesn't make some of cops actions justifiable, but your chances of dying go up a lot needlessly trying to be Billy Badass.
He should have been tasered. 20 year old kid panicked and lost his life. Cop appeared remorseful after the shooting, even said oh Shit.
"The Cop panicked and pulled her gun out rather than her taser." I can do that, too.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:27 pm

100% agree.
I know the wording/charges are different in different states, but if you unintentionally cause the death of someone through you’re own stupidity, that’s generally not murder, but rather a negligent homicide or manslaughter.
Murder, manslaughter, whatever. She should be arrested and charged accordingly.

And the "pulled over because of air fresheners" has already been debunked. Wright was pulled over for expired tags and had a warrant out for his arrest for failing to appear in court after being charged with unlawful possession of a firearm.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

7pm curfew tonight, in the Twin Cities area.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:37 am Starting to sound like we should just wall off Minnesota and let them have at each other.
Whoa, can't we just wall off the Twin Cities? Are they rioting in Brainerd?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:29 pm
I’m afraid we’re past that.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:52 pm
Murder, manslaughter, whatever. She should be arrested and charged accordingly.

And the "pulled over because of air fresheners" has already been debunked. Wright was pulled over for expired tags and had a warrant out for his arrest for failing to appear in court after being charged with unlawful possession of a firearm.
So, another saint. :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:43 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:29 pm
I’m afraid we’re past that.
Should we wall off Montana because Missoula is liberal?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

clenz wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:44 pm As far as wanting stats - I guess I'll wait for people to tell me how made up these are

In terms of perception - the overwhelming majority of American's view things similar to the way Gil and I have pointed out

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... n-the-u-s/

Majorities of both black and white Americans say black people are treated less fairly than whites in dealing with the police and by the criminal justice system as a whole. In a 2019 Center survey, 84% of black adults said that, in dealing with police, blacks are generally treated less fairly than whites; 63% of whites said the same. Similarly, 87% of blacks and 61% of whites said the U.S. criminal justice system treats black people less fairly.

Black adults are about five times as likely as whites to say they’ve been unfairly stopped by police because of their race or ethnicity (44% vs. 9%), according to the same survey. Black men are especially likely to say this: 59% say they’ve been unfairly stopped, versus 31% of black women.

White Democrats and white Republicans have vastly different views of how black people are treated by police and the wider justice system. Overwhelming majorities of white Democrats say black people are treated less fairly than whites by the police (88%) and the criminal justice system (86%), according to the 2019 poll. About four-in-ten white Republicans agree (43% and 39%, respectively).

Nearly two-thirds of black adults (65%) say they’ve been in situations where people acted as if they were suspicious of them because of their race or ethnicity, while only a quarter of white adults say that’s happened to them. Roughly a third of both Asian and Hispanic adults (34% and 37%, respectively) say they’ve been in such situations, the 2019 survey found.

Black Americans are far less likely than whites to give police high marks for the way they do their jobs. In a 2016 survey, only about a third of black adults said that police in their community did an “excellent” or “good” job in using the right amount of force (33%, compared with 75% of whites), treating racial and ethnic groups equally (35% vs. 75%), and holding officers accountable for misconduct (31% vs. 70%).

In the past, police officers and the general public have tended to view fatal encounters between black people and police very differently. In a 2016 survey of nearly 8,000 policemen and women from departments with at least 100 officers, two-thirds said most such encounters are isolated incidents and not signs of broader problems between police and the black community. In a companion survey of more than 4,500 U.S. adults, 60% of the public called such incidents signs of broader problems between police and black people. But the views given by police themselves were sharply differentiated by race: A majority of black officers (57%) said that such incidents were evidence of a broader problem, but only 27% of white officers and 26% of Hispanic officers said so.

Around two-thirds of police officers (68%) said in 2016 that the demonstrations over the deaths of black people during encounters with law enforcement were motivated to a great extent by anti-police bias; only 10% said (in a separate question) that protesters were primarily motivated by a genuine desire to hold police accountable for their actions. Here as elsewhere, police officers’ views differed by race: Only about a quarter of white officers (27%) but around six-in-ten of their black colleagues (57%) said such protests were motivated at least to some extent by a genuine desire to hold police accountable.

White police officers and their black colleagues have starkly different views on fundamental questions regarding the situation of blacks in American society, the 2016 survey found. For example, nearly all white officers (92%) – but only 29% of their black colleagues – said the U.S. had made the changes needed to assure equal rights for blacks.

A majority of officers said in 2016 that relations between the police in their department and black people in the community they serve were “excellent” (8%) or “good” (47%). However, far higher shares saw excellent or good community relations with whites (91%), Asians (88%) and Hispanics (70%). About a quarter of police officers (26%) said relations between police and black people in their community were “only fair,” while nearly one-in-five (18%) said they were “poor” – with black officers far more likely than others to say so. (These percentages are based on only those officers who offered a rating.)
Self report, I'm sure you'll use to discredit that

How about a research study done by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences done in 2019
https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793

Significance
Police violence is a leading cause of death for young men in the United States. Over the life course, about 1 in every 1,000 black men can expect to be killed by police. Risk of being killed by police peaks between the ages of 20 y and 35 y for men and women and for all racial and ethnic groups. Black women and men and American Indian and Alaska Native women and men are significantly more likely than white women and men to be killed by police. Latino men are also more likely to be killed by police than are white men.

Results
Fig. 1 displays estimates of lifetime risk of being killed by police use of force by race and sex, using data from 2013 to 2018. We estimate that over the life course, at levels of risk similar to those observed between 2013 and 2018, about 52 [39, 68] (90% uncertainty interval) of every 100,000 men and boys in the United States will be killed by police use of force over the life course, and about 3 [1.5, 4.5] of every 100,000 women and girls will be killed by police over the life course.

Fig. 2 displays the ratio of lifetime risk for each racial–ethnic group relative to risk for whites for both men and women. Note that a rate ratio of 1 indicates equality in mortality risk relative to whites. The highest levels of inequality in mortality risk are experienced by black men. Black men are about 2.5 times more likely to be killed by police over the life course than are white men. Black women are about 1.4 times more likely to be killed by police than are white women. Although risks are estimated with less precision for American Indian/Alaska Native men and women than for other groups, we show that they face a higher lifetime risk of being killed by police than do whites. American Indian men are between 1.2 and 1.7 times more likely to be killed by police than are white men, and American Indian women are between 1.1 and 2.1 times more likely to be killed by police than are white women. Latino men are between 1.3 and 1.4 times more likely to be killed by police than are white men, but Latina women are between 12% and 23% less likely to be killed by police than are white women. Both Asian/Pacific Islander men and women are more than 50% less likely to be killed by police than are white men and women, respectively.

Fig. 5 displays the ratio of police use-of-force deaths to all deaths by age, sex, and race. Police use of force accounts for 0.05% of all male deaths in the United States and 0.003% of all female deaths, a low overall share. However, this ratio is strongly correlated with age and race and is starkly unequal across racial groups. Police use of force is responsible for 1.6% of all deaths involving black men between the ages of 20 y and 24 y. At this age range, police are responsible for 1.2% of American Indian/Alaska Native male deaths, 0.5% of Asian/Pacific Islander male deaths, 1.2% of Latino male deaths, and 0.5% of white male deaths. For women between the ages of 20 y and 24 y, police use of force is responsible for 0.2% of all deaths of black women, 0.2% of all deaths of American Indian/Alaska Native women, 0.05% of all deaths of Asian/Pacific Islander women, 0.16% of all deaths of Latina women, and 0.11% of all deaths of white women.

Discussion
Our analysis shows that the risk of being killed by police is jointly patterned by one’s race, gender, and age. Police violence is a leading cause of death for young men, and young men of color face exceptionally high risk of being killed by police. Inequalities in risk are pronounced throughout the life course. This study reinforces calls to treat police violence as a public health issue (1, 4). Racially unequal exposure to the risk of state violence has profound consequences for public health, democracy, and racial stratification (5, 7⇓–9, 11).

The absence of authoritative official data is a key challenge in reducing police violence. The Bureau of Justice Statistics should renew efforts to develop comprehensive systems to track officer-involved deaths (4, 40). Both the public interest and social science are served by increasing transparency with regard to police use of force. Using such data, the research community has made strides in identifying officers most at risk of being involved in cases of excessive force (41) and system failures that result in civilian deaths (42).

While our research does not evaluate the effects of policy, we believe that several avenues of reform may be fruitful in reducing rates of death. Austerity in social welfare and public health programs has led to police and prisons becoming catch-all responses to social problems (43, 44). Adequately funding community-based services and restricting the use of armed officers as first responders to mental health and other forms of crisis would likely reduce the volume of people killed by police (44). Increasing the ability of the public to engage in the regulation of policing through both investigatory commissions with disciplinary teeth and equal participation in police union contract negotiations would also likely reduce rates of death (45).

Or this research study which looked at the institutional and policy level impact on why police use force/kill minorities more than whites
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf ... puar.12956
That is, while only about 13 percent of the American population is black, 28 percent of people
killed by police are black. Latinos are killed slightly more often
than we would expect and white citizens considerably less often,
while Asian Americans are killed by police far less often than we
would expect if killings were randomly distributed throughout the
population.

To be very clear, we are not arguing that the disproportionate killing
of black suspects is racially innocuous. Indeed, law enforcement
officers of all races disproportionately kill black suspects. The killing
of black suspects is a police problem, not a white police problem.
We believe that the disproportionate killing of black suspects is
a downstream effect of institutionalized racism in macro-level
criminal policy and meso-level organizational factors within many
police departments. Put differently, our research contributes to the
perspective that persistent racial disparities in police killings are
driven primarily by prior disparities in racial policing generally:
disproportionate killing is a function of disproportionate police
contact among members of the African American community.
In this light, the finding that minority police officers are actually
more likely to kill minority suspects is not surprising, given that
many police departments make efforts to assign minority police to
minority neighborhoods.
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph- ... disparity/
Black Americans are 3.23 times more likely than white Americans to be killed by police, according to a new study by researchers from Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. The researchers examined 5,494 police-related deaths in the U.S. between 2013 and 2017. Rates of deadly police encounters were higher in the West and South than in the Midwest and Northeast, according to the study. Racial disparities in killings by police varied widely across the country, with some metropolitan areas showing very high differences between treatment by race. Black Chicagoans, for example, were found to be over 650% more likely to be killed by police than white Chicagoans.
This one doesn't even look at just killings - but use of force as an entirety. Many of these discussions and data points are involving only those shot which can be excused away by the Back the Blue crowd to make it seem like everything is perfect. This one looks at shooting/killings but focused heavily on the broader use of force at all.

https://davis-center.williams.edu/files ... s-Race.pdf

This paper explores racial differences in police use of force. On non-lethal uses of force,
blacks and Hispanics are more than fifty percent more likely to experience some form of force
in interactions with police. Adding controls that account for important context and civilian
behavior reduces, but cannot fully explain, these disparities. On the most extreme use of force –
officer-involved shootings – we find no racial differences in either the raw data or when contextual
factors are taken into account. We argue that the patterns in the data are consistent with a
model in which police officers are utility maximizers, a fraction of which have a preference for
discrimination, who incur relatively high expected costs of officer-involved shootings.

And again, if we want to pretend race doesn't play a part in it we are still left with study after study after study after study on the extreme use of force by police regardless of race, and how "a few bad apples" turns into looking at the "bad apples' on a spectrum of being really shit - Chauvin - to still being bad but not killing people bad. You know, the abusive power-hungry kind that will try to lie to an uber driver about what he can and can't record as a way to intimidate him - or will pull over the state attorney because "windows looked dark even though I don't have a tint meter".

It's why trying to paint me as a "BLM/ANTIFA TERRORIST WHO JUST HATES COPS AND HAS WHITE GUILT" isn't going to work. I'm not beholding to any political ideology when it comes to the police. Yes, I am a more liberal person and in general, will side with the "Uh, it's more than a couple of bad apples" side far more than "IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GET SHOT DON'T EVEN DRIVE IN FRONT OF A COP" crowd that exists. I'm not "ACAB". In reference to the police chases I've mentioned before, I have never once wanted the chase suspects to get away and am rarely in the "You didn't need to be so rough" when taking them into custody. I am, however, someone that notices the difference in how the various PDs I watch in chases (90% are in the LA metro, but a fair number through Texas, Arizona, Oklahoma, and Florida) will treat suspects of various crimes and races.
I don't think there is any doubt that there is an association. But I do think there are questions as to the cause of it. I do not think the ways in which different groups tend to behave during contacts with the police has been ruled out as a factor. I also do not think the ways in which different groups behave has been ruled out as a factor in how likely each group is to have police contact.

I say that because I was thinking about that kind of thing tonight as I watched video on this latest thing. Just about every time I see and/or hear news about this sort of thing, the behavior of the person who ends up getting killed is a factor in what happened. Doesn't mean the police acted properly. But it's a factor.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:48 am Wright was pulled over because he had Air Freshener hanging from his rearview mirror.

Now I'm hearing expired tabs.
I really, really doubt that he was pulled over because he had air freshener hanging from his rearview mirror.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

clenz wrote:So the officer that killed the 20 year old in Brooklyn Center yesterday drew her gun, keeps it in her hand for minutes, doesn’t realize it’s a gun and not a taser distantly, and shoots him literally point blank in the abdomen

This id what happens when you allow women to drive cars and be cops

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:57 pm
clenz wrote:So the officer that killed the 20 year old in Brooklyn Center yesterday drew her gun, keeps it in her hand for minutes, doesn’t realize it’s a gun and not a taser distantly, and shoots him literally point blank in the abdomen

This id what happens when you allow women to drive cars and be cops
But what about the ego? :mrgreen:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Jesus H. Tittyfucking Christ, Clenz....you’re trying WAY too hard.

Blacks are killed at a 3.23x rate to whites? Well, howsabout while they’re just 13% of the population, they commit about 50% of the violent crimes? Think that might put them in the crosshairs a bit more frequently?
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:21 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:43 am Can a cop be charged with death by stupidity?
Exactly. How in the hell does that happen if she has the taser holstered opposite side of her gun? In other words, right handed person has right handed holster for glock, taser on the left, so no accidentally grabbing the wrong one. And aren’t the tasers bright yellow so there can be no mistake?
The Brooklyn Center Police Policy and Training book is available to be seen by the public. Turns out taser training is required YEARLY the department. This is apparently a "very senior officer" according to the Police Chief.

How the fuck does a senior officer who has gone through yearly training on taser usage make that mistake?

My guess is she drew the gun intentionally to be Barbara Badass and then forgot she had her gun, felt something in her hand, assuming it was a taser, and pulled the trigger.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

100% agree.
Just like Chauvin has three charges against him, I'd bet she sees the same three charges

Second Degree Murder
Second-degree unintentional murder, the state's prosecutors will have to show beyond a reasonable doubt that the officer caused the death while assaulting him. This is the most serious charge and carries a presumed sentence in this case of 10 3⁄4 years to 15 years, according to state sentencing guidelines.

Third Degree Murder
Third-degree murder requires prosecutors to prove that someone caused the death of another "by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life." Legal experts note that the definition of "depraved mind" is murky— as is the legal line between "depraved mind" and the "culpable negligence" standard for manslaughter. Historically, third-degree murder has been used to prosecute drug dealers who sold deadly products but weren't planning to kill specific individuals. But in 2019, former Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor was convicted of third-degree murder in the death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond after she called 911 to report a possible sexual assault in progress in the alley near her house. Noor fatally shot Damond from the passenger seat of a squad car, firing across his partner, who had been driving. The state Court of Appeals narrowly upheld his conviction, and the state Supreme Court will hear the case in June. Noor is currently serving a 10½-year sentence. He is the only police officer ever to be convicted of murder for an on-duty incident in Minnesota.

Second Degree Manslaughter
Prosecutors will need to show beyond a reasonable doubt that the officer was "culpably negligent" and took an "unreasonable risk" with the life when she shot him and that her actions put the man at risk of death or great harm. Prosecutors do not have to prove that officer's actions intended to cause death, only that her actions put the suspect at risk of death or great bodily harm. This charge carries a presumptive sentence of 41-57 months.