Here We Go Again (Minneapolis, MN)

Political discussions
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: BDK Loves Black Lives Matter Thread

Post by Ivytalk »

Gil was magnanimous in renaming the thread for you, BDK. He really is a solid dude. Now quit arguing about minutiae and start your generic BLM Sucks thread. Maybe you can get Graddy to chip in a post or two.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Bigot doesn't want to hear from peaceful protestors. :ohno:

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

From a FB Minneapolis community page.

Sometime this past week, North Minneapolis has had its 863rd consecutive day of gunfire.

ImageImageImage
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:39 pm From a FB Minneapolis community page.

Sometime this past week, North Minneapolis has had its 863rd consecutive day of gunfire.

ImageImageImage
North Minnie has always been bad, now it's a Free for All. Interested that the Floyd murder, Protest and Riots were south of downtown, where the 3rd was burned.

Not too many years ago the nickname was Murderapolis. You would walk by cars after a Timberwolves games, and see people selling crack out the back seats.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:10 am
North Minnie has always been bad, now it's a Free for All. Interested that the Floyd murder, Protest and Riots were south of downtown, where the 3rd was burned.

Not too many years ago the nickname was Murderapolis. You would walk by cars after a Timberwolves games, and see people selling crack out the back seats.
It has been and it has ramped up here recently. Also of note is that it is spreading slowly to the suburbs and other areas that traditionally haven't seen that level of activity in the past.

My brother is moving out of the outskirts of North Minneapolis and the area he is going to is seeing an uptick in "incidents" this year, whereas last year it was peaceful for the most part.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:40 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:10 am

It has been and it has ramped up here recently. Also of note is that it is spreading slowly to the suburbs and other areas that traditionally haven't seen that level of activity in the past.

My brother is moving out of the outskirts of North Minneapolis and the area he is going to is seeing an uptick in "incidents" this year, whereas last year it was peaceful for the most part.
Haven't noticed or paid that much attention to the south side, but the Brooklyn's, Park and Center, have always been sketchy too, with crime. Brookdale Mall was called Crookdale.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Re: Here We Go Again (Minneapolis, MN)

Post by CAA Flagship »

Minneapolis man allegedly kills wife after argument over lack of sex, before shooting neighbors

https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapolis- ... llegations
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:24 am Minneapolis man allegedly kills wife after argument over lack of sex, before shooting neighbors

That's some inherently violent sh!t there.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:20 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:24 am Minneapolis man allegedly kills wife after argument over lack of sex, before shooting neighbors

That's some inherently violent sh!t there.
:rofl: :rofl: :clap: :clap:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Col Hogan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:40 am
This is why they should have put the new Twins and Vikings stadiums in the suburbs.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:01 pm
Col Hogan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:40 am
This is why they should have put the new Twins and Vikings stadiums in the suburbs.
??? So that the stadiums would be near minority populations? What do the sports stadiums have to do with this?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:13 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:01 pm

??? So that the stadiums would be near minority populations? What do the sports stadiums have to do with this?
So when the crowds come back to pro sports, they would have to worry about lack of MPD police protection.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:23 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:13 pm

So when the crowds come back to pro sports, they would have to worry about lack of MPD police protection.
Wait, I thought the MPD police were the problem. Has that changed? :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:17 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:23 pm

Minneapolis being Minneapolis.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:36 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:17 am

My company has its headquarters right outside of Minneapolis. Last time I was up there (last year) drove downtown and had a nice dinner at a microbrewery not far from the basketball and baseball stadiums. Seemed fine where I was, probably was in the more sketchy areas. But I'm also from the East coast and I don't think our sketchy areas here are as nice as the Midwest nice sketchy areas you have.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:05 am

My company has its headquarters right outside of Minneapolis. Last time I was up there (last year) drove downtown and had a nice dinner at a microbrewery not far from the basketball and baseball stadiums. Seemed fine where I was, probably was in the more sketchy areas. But I'm also from the East coast and I don't think our sketchy areas here are as nice as the Midwest nice sketchy areas you have.
Downtown was nice during the daytime and evenings during events and around events. You may see a few people selling drugs out of their cars or a few groups of hoodlums wandering around. They mostly hangout in the dark alley's. North Minneapolis has the highest crime rate, so I wouldn't go there late in the day or overnight unless you had business being there and knew what to lookout for.

Since this defund the police stuff has come out, there has been more crime in downtown, daylight car jackings, and robberies. Notice to the citizens, said give up your phone, your wallet, your purse to robbers, and don't fight back.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:35 am

Downtown was nice during the daytime and evenings during events and around events. You may see a few people selling drugs out of their cars or a few groups of hoodlums wandering around. They mostly hangout in the dark alley's. North Minneapolis has the highest crime rate, so I wouldn't go there late in the day or overnight unless you had business being there and knew what to lookout for.

Since this defund the police stuff has come out, there has been more crime in downtown, daylight car jackings, and robberies. Notice to the citizens, said give up your phone, your wallet, your purse to robbers, and don't fight back.
Carry a weapon? :suspicious: :suspicious: :suspicious:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:39 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:35 am

Conceal Carry is legal here, but the Liberal Powers that be, won't promote that.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

I'd wager that the Englewood and Back of the Yards neighborhoods in Chicago can compete with east coast sketchy.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:13 am

Conceal Carry is legal here, but the Liberal Powers that be, won't promote that.
Blow half a dozen or so of these newly brazen robbers into oblivion and things might change for the better....

Just give up your shit and hope they dont' hurt you? Yeah, that's a recipe for success.... :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

So is open carry (with a CC license). It is just not something I would recommend doing.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Good data driven article in Quillette and points to the fact that this is highly complex issue with multiple intersecting/determining factors, that all pertain to what is going on and it cannot be distilled down to one single simplified message.

https://quillette.com/2020/09/17/black- ... onformity/
But, for all their zealous advocacy, celebrities and protestors alike are reluctant to acknowledge or discuss the nuances of the empirical literature on the racial biases they are protesting. As part of an effort to quantify racial bias in police killings, a 2016 study in the journal Injury found that black Americans are not more likely to be injured or killed by police than white Americans during traffic stops. And, despite the general finding in the Center for Police Equity report that police officers use greater force against black suspects, it also found that blacks are no more likely than whites to be subject to lethal force. In fact, it found that white people face a higher risk of being killed during an arrest. Researchers have also turned their attention to shootings, in particular. An early study provides some evidence of a racial disparity, but not in the expected direction—it found that police fire more bullets at white than black suspects.

Things get even weirder when we try to probe psychological biases in police officers. Under multiple intense psychological simulation experiments carried out at Washington State University, police were found to exhibit a propensity to fire on white suspects faster than black suspects, and were also more likely to shoot unarmed whites (these experiments measure split second differences in reaction times that the researchers believe are not susceptible to conscious control). Turning to real-world data, the National Academies of Sciences published the findings of its investigations into police shootings in 2019, and cautiously concluded that white people are at greater risk of being shot during a police interaction relative to all other ethnicities. However, it is the work of economist Roland Fryer that has attracted the most attention and discussion of late.
On the back of an earlier study that found unarmed blacks are at higher risk of a police shooting than unarmed whites, Fryer and his team came up with a more complete dataset and used an innovative methodology of comparing police interactions in which no shots were fired to those in which there were. His study arrived at a different conclusion. “The results are startling,” writes Fryer. “Blacks are 23.5 percent less likely to be shot by police, relative to whites, in an interaction.” ..........................

But uncertainty is sufficient to set off alarm bells about the Black Lives Matter movement among those who adopt a sceptical approach when evaluating knowledge claims. “There’s so much we don’t know,” says author Sam Harris in a recent podcast, “And yet, most people are behaving as though every important question was answered a long time ago.” Harris, known for his staunch atheism and critique of faith-based religion, asks some troubling questions about the Black Lives Matter movement by pointing out that it disguises empirically fragile claims with absolute conviction and then stonewalls any attempt to examine the evidence: “Like most religious awakenings, the movement does not show itself eager to make honest contact with reality.”

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:01 am

So is open carry (with a CC license). It is just not something I would recommend doing.
They are even coming after police and trying to take their guns in the George Floyd incident area.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

'Boogaloo Bois' member charged in connection to shooting at Minneapolis police station during George Floyd protests

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna12 ... ssion=true
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)