CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: China

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:49 pm So much for all those “institutions and norms” we heard about from you guys fainting couches during Trump’s tenure, eh
Who is "you guys?" I've been calling for a remake of the United States for years now.

Lots of institutional norms should be thrown out the window. But I still do believe in democracy, individual rights, human rights, freedom, and science...which Trump, the GOP, and the current conservative movement are a grave threat to. Institutional norms should be broken in order to create a better democracy, not a fascist state as the Trump cult is attempting.

I'm glad Americans are fighting back, but fascism isn't easy to defeat. The 2020s are gonna be a helluva ride.
Golly

If we only had historical reference points to guide us when deciding if radical change from capitalist systems to strictly directed ones is a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:50 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:42 am

But you can't hold a whole political party responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole political party system? And if the whole political party system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our political institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!
I get the reference, but in this case you CAN indict the entire party. The “mainstream” left has fully embraced the ‘wokeism’ and progressivism that has taken over the party like the plague. And a majority of the “mainstream” right has embraced Trumpism as the cure for all ills….
I don't disagree, necessarily. Extremism on both sides have hijacked the parties and we're stuck with mouth-breathers on both sides spewing ignorance, hate and nonsense. The Democrats and Republicans have allowed themselves to be hijacked by those groups b/c hey refuse to stand up against them.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:15 am
kalm wrote:
Well I didn’t know that you caught feels for the insurrectionists and Trump but if Milley is considered the “leftmost”…guilty as charged, I guess.

:thumb:
I’m talking about our resident revolucionario

You seem oddly tweaked when people indicate he is a nut

I was replying to SD’s comments there.

But yeah…I’ll cop to sometimes pulling bodies off the pile of a conk circle jerk.

Gross!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:59 am a conk circle jerk.
So you, trip, jelly, jon, hound.... only form a pentagon? How many does it take to form a circle?
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

andy7171 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:16 am
houndawg wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:23 pm

The only Americans likely to be in China when we attack might be some businessmen; collateral damage easily replaced. :coffee:
I'm talking about the Americans in the theoretical surprise attack. Launched by the only President to not start a war in the last 50 years.
Its a risky area to be in and all the civilians there are taking that risk in exchange for a big paycheck. Personally I think the fact that the Taliban didn't crater the runway at the airport speaks volumes about our future together. They want their $9,000,000,000 back more than they want a few more American scalps. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

89Hen wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:05 am
So you, trip, jelly, jon, hound.... only form a pentagon? How many does it take to form a circle?
As long as you're near we have a Pivot Man. The rest is details. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:05 am
Baphomet says 5 is enough ...

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

The Satanic Temple is amazing. It and the Church of the FSM are probably the only two "religious" groups I'd ever join.

Church of Satan is an insane cult though.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

What about the Judean Peoples Front?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:37 pm The Satanic Temple is amazing. It and the Church of the FSM are probably the only two "religious" groups I'd ever join.

:nod:

Tenets of the Satanic Church…

I

One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.

II

The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
III

One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.

IV

The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.

V

Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.

VI

People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.

VII

Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Good thing kalmy's boys(BOYS) are in HS now. Can you imagine after years of telling your elementary school friends you worshipped Odin and the Norse gods that you are now Satanic Cultists?
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:03 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:37 pm The Satanic Temple is amazing. It and the Church of the FSM are probably the only two "religious" groups I'd ever join.

I

One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.

II

The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
III

IV

The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.

V

Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.

VI

People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.

VII

Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.
What do they say about the current MLB extra inning situation. With a runner placed on second base and no outs, should the first batter bunt him over to third or swing away?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

andy7171 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:09 am Good thing kalmy's boys(BOYS) are in HS now. Can you imagine after years of telling your elementary school friends you worshipped Odin and the Norse gods that you are now Satanic Cultists?
* college

One is into Camus, Kafka, and the existentialists.

The other is into Lovecraft, Death Grips, and all things Japanese.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:12 am

I

II

III

IV

V

VI

VII

What do they say about the current MLB extra inning situation. With a runner placed on second base and no outs, should the first batter bunt him over to third or swing away?
They quit caring about baseball after the strike.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

2. The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
  3. One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
  4. The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.
  5. Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.
  6. People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.
  7. Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.
The tenets are definitely interesting but how do you and Trip resolve the following:

Does III apply to abortions but not vaccines?

Wokeism and IV are in direct conflict.

How does a pseudo-progressive reconcile V with gender and biology?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:42 am

2. The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
  3. One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
  4. The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.
  5. Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.
  6. People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.
  7. Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.
The tenets are definitely interesting but how do you and Trip resolve the following:

Well I’m not a satanist. I’m a kalmunist. But…

Whether I think abortions are wrong or that everyone without a legit medical reason to avoid should get vaccinated is different than whether I think abortions should be legal or that vaccinations should be forced.

Not a fan of wokism.

A progressive would understand the difference between gender identity and sexual biology.
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

So, uh, nothing about Biden selling nucular subs and technology to the Aussies? That's a big slap in China's face in their Pacific expansion plans, so you have to wonder what their military response will be.

Oh, and apparently the French took it up the butt again, this time with 10s of billions of Euros in diesel sub sales going up in smoke...
Proletarians of the world, unite!
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Rob Iola wrote:So, uh, nothing about Biden selling nucular subs and technology to the Aussies? That's a big slap in China's face in their Pacific expansion plans, so you have to wonder what their military response will be.

Oh, and apparently the French took it up the butt again, this time with 10s of billions of Euros in diesel sub sales going up in smoke...
I’m glad this is finally open source

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:58 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:42 am

Whether I think abortions are wrong or that everyone without a legit medical reason to avoid should get vaccinated is different than whether I think abortions should be legal or that vaccinations should be forced.

Not a fan of wokism.

A progressive would understand the difference between gender identity and sexual biology.
Kalmunism is a political ideology you could be both a kalmunist and a statanist. Until you finally decide where you're going to sell your soul your religion is classified as undecided/GDI. :D

If "One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone" then it doesn't matter if someone has a legit medical reason to avoid vaccination. If they don't want to get vaccinated, based on this tenet no one should force them to get vaccinated.

Questioning the conflict between wokeism and the "freedom to offend" is really directed at Trip. I'm looking forward to reading his logical gymnastics explaining away the conflict but I'm guessing he'll ignore this.

Science would seem to indicate that athletes should compete based on their biological sex not their identified sex. In this regard, pseudo-progressives (true progressives are few and far between) are anti-science.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:11 am
kalm wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:58 am

Not a fan of wokism.

Kalmunism is a political ideology you could be both a kalmunist and a statanist. Until you finally decide where you're going to sell your soul your religion is classified as undecided/GDI. :D

If "One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone" then it doesn't matter if someone has a legit medical reason to avoid vaccination. If they don't want to get vaccinated, based on this tenet no one should force them to get vaccinated.

Questioning the conflict between wokeism and the "freedom to offend" is really directed at Trip. I'm looking forward to reading his logical gymnastics explaining away the conflict but I'm guessing he'll ignore this.

Science would seem to indicate that athletes should compete based on their biological sex not their identified sex. In this regard, pseudo-progressives (true progressives are few and far between) are anti-science.
I’m not for forced vaccinations. But that doesn’t guarantee you the right to a particular job or access to certain businesses.

I agree on Athletics and biological sex.

Btw…can you separate political ideologies from economics and ethics?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Kalmunism is a political ideology
Yeah but they have t-shirts and memes.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:19 am

I’m not for forced vaccinations. But that doesn’t guarantee you the right to a particular job or access to certain businesses.

I agree on Athletics and biological sex.

Btw…can you separate political ideologies from economics and ethics?
You "can you separate political ideologies from economics and ethics" if you're a satanist because the "freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend."
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:11 am Questioning the conflict between wokeism and the "freedom to offend" is really directed at Trip. I'm looking forward to reading his logical gymnastics explaining away the conflict but I'm guessing he'll ignore this.
No conflict, and I've been consistent about this.

You are free to think and say whatever you want. However, society can judge you however it wants as well.

Back when America was great again, towns made public spectacles of idiots. This is just the modern version of that.

Same with vaccines. You can do whatever you want with your body, but society can judge you too.

One of the best coworkers I ever knew had a great saying: "There are only actions and consequences, no adjectives involved."

So freely live how you want, but actions have consequences.

Edit: adjective, not adverb
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:07 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:11 am Questioning the conflict between wokeism and the "freedom to offend" is really directed at Trip. I'm looking forward to reading his logical gymnastics explaining away the conflict but I'm guessing he'll ignore this.

You are free to think and say whatever you want. However, society can judge you however it wants as well.

Back when America was great again, towns made public spectacles of idiots. This is just the modern version of that.

Same with vaccines. You can do whatever you want with your body, but society can judge you too.
There is a huge difference between making a spectacle of idiots and shaming people who you disagree with or worse costing them their livelihoods. Liberals only want to stand up for the downtrodden when they are likely to vote for them. A partisan hack is a partisan hack regardless of their ideology.

There are plenty of idiots on both sides of the aisle - MTG, Gaetz, Waters, AOChe, etc. but you want to reserve the label for those you disagree with. BDKaren does the same thing but his opinions are the reverse of yours.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:16 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:07 pm

There is a huge difference between making a spectacle of idiots and shaming people who you disagree with or worse costing them their livelihoods. Liberals only want to stand up for the downtrodden when they are likely to vote for them. A partisan hack is a partisan hack regardless of their ideology.

There are plenty of idiots on both sides of the aisle - MTG, Gaetz, Waters, AOChe, etc. but you want to reserve the label for those you disagree with. BDKaren does the same thing but his opinions are the reverse of yours.
Welcome to the game of life.

I post here knowing I'll be labeled an idiot. That's fine. Its a consequence of my action, hoping I can change a mind or two.

Life is only a larger version of this forum. There's many things I can say and do, but some will cost me my livelihood. And if I haven't changed with the times, that's on me.

I'll give you a recent example. I was having dinner with my 21yo cousin and her friend on Monday. They both identify as polyamory and non-binary, something I probably would have (at minimum) smirked at just a few years ago. But I didn't because the times had changed and I had learned identity is particularly important to her generation. Instead I asked her what non-binary meant (I knew of course) and it ended up being an awesome conversation and she felt great that she taught me something.

What would have happened if I laughed? Been ostracized by my cousin? Maybe ended up on social media (I mean our entire dinner was basically TikToked)? In the end, adapt and survive.