Political discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: China

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:52 pm
Ivytalk wrote:The current issue of National Review is all-China. Thought-provoking articles that highlight the challenges China poses to the US while suggesting some reasons for hope, provided we have the political will to take them on.
I have a FB friend who is black and posted that speedometer scale of how long slavery existed in America over its historical life

The graphic was not entirely inaccurate (it has “America” existing from about 1620) but anyways, I digress

A commenter claimed that he had lived in China for 6 years, doing bidness, had traveled all over China, had never seen a slave, and therefore there was no slavery in China (it was a very klammy exchange)

Anyway, I posted several State Dept and open source links, and he proceeded to obfuscate about how the 13th Amendment allows for prison labor and how this is the same thing.

I went back anf forth with him a couple times and then informed him that I dont argue with flat earthers, MAGAtards, QAnon queers, Maoists, Leninists, Stalinists, Pizza ParlorPedos, or any other nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm stealing that one.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Paywalled.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote:
Paywalled.
I was able to read it on my phone.

Begs to question is the China Social Media users that objected to the post really objecting because they found it wrong or because they are mouthpieces for the Chinese government?

“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:50 am
SHHHH 88 youre stealing my thunder from another thread
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

George Soros pens an accurate article about Xi in the WSJ.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/xi-jinping ... malertNEWS

I hope he’s right but at the same time China has reached a point where it might be worse if things start to decline as Soros claims.

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:12 pm George Soros pens an accurate article about Xi in the WSJ.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/xi-jinping ... malertNEWS

I hope he’s right but at the same time China has reached a point where it might be worse if things start to decline as Soros claims.

I read that today. For all of Soros’ praise of Deng Xiaoping, Deng was no political pluralist. Looks like the CCP is tribal at heart. Scary times indeed.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Not to worry. We will out-diversity China. It's our greatest strength.
:lol:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/12/politics ... index.html
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

I'm afraid the Afghanistan debacle will make the Chinese invasion of Taiwan happen sooner, rather than later.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CitadelGrad wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:09 pm I'm afraid the Afghanistan debacle will make the Chinese invasion of Taiwan happen sooner, rather than later.
Why would anyone not see how weak and pathetic the Biden* admin is and make all the territorial gains that it can?
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

CitadelGrad wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:09 pm I'm afraid the Afghanistan debacle will make the Chinese invasion of Taiwan happen sooner, rather than later.
They were talking about this on the radio this morning. What would happen if China invades Taiwan? And then the Taliban decides to not play nice and start beheading Americans? Uncle Joe would have a heart attack? What would Kamala do? General Milley just said the largest military in the history of the world, doesn't have the ability to extract large numbers of Americans.

WTF?
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Doesn't change anything its been a done deal whenever the Chinese want to begin the process
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

China is co-opting most of the South Pacific.

This article is about Tonga but they are infiltrating all of the island nations in the region

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... nce-506370

houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:50 pm China is co-opting most of the South Pacific.

This article is about Tonga but they are infiltrating all of the island nations in the region

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... nce-506370

Neutron warheads. Surgical precision , no messy fallout...
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

I guess this should go in this thread....or the Biden woke thread...BTW there is a word for what Milley did here.

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:24 pm I guess this should go in this thread....or the Biden woke thread...BTW there is a word for what Milley did here.

Lay off Milley. He supports chicks with dicks in his ranks. He's gender inclusive. These are the things that really matter in a loving, caring, diverse military such as ours. A little treason on the side is no biggie.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:24 pm I guess this should go in this thread....or the Biden woke thread...BTW there is a word for what Milley did here.

What's the word? Treason?

Treason would be warning the enemy if we actually attacked, not saying something to a (non-enemy) to defuse a volatile situation.

Milley is a damn hero if Woodward's accounts are true. Upheld an oath to the Constitution instead of a demented traitor like Trump. This is how government should work instead of simply following whatever a single person says.

Trump should be hung for actual treason on January 6.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:34 pm

Treason would be warning the enemy if we actually attacked, not saying something to a (non-enemy) to defuse a volatile situation.

Milley is a damn hero if Woodward's accounts are true. Upheld an oath to the Constitution instead of a demented traitor like Trump. This is how government should work instead of simply following whatever a single person says.

Utter bullshit.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:34 pm

Treason would be warning the enemy if we attacked, not saying it to (non-enemy) to defuse a volatile situation.

Milley is a damn hero if Woodward's accounts are true. Upheld an oath to the Constitution instead of a demented traitor like Trump.

I haven't read any of Woodward's book, but I am sure it contains a lot of truth mixed in with a little "he said, she said"

But that said, at no time during the December-January period did Trump ever suggest or try anything involving our strategic forces. The Chairman went off the reservation and suggested he could assume powers relegated solely to the Executive. He didn't act on it (because there was never a need) so I doubt what he did rises to the level of treason.

But he was definitely off the reservation and should be drawing his retirement check today - especially now after Kabul.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:39 pm

Lay off Milley. He supports chicks with dicks in his ranks. He's gender inclusive. These are the things that really matter in a loving, caring, diverse military such as ours. A little treason on the side is no biggie.
Milley is gunning for SecDef in the Caramel Harris administration.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Nah, Harris is damaged.

Milley should run for President. Need more honorable people who know how to handle tough situations. Milley - among others - are straight up American heroes for correctly assuming they had a traitor in Trump in the chain of command. There's no reason to risk our national security and democracy for any individual, whether it's the President or not.

I'm thankful Milley took a proactive step to reaffirm order when the damn capitol had just been attacked.

The fact he had to do what he did is the extremely disturbing point. Some of you should take ethics; laws are meant to be broken.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:50 pm Nah, Harris is damaged.

Milley should run for President. Need more honorable people who know how to handle tough situations. Milley - among others - are straight up American heroes for correctly assuming they had a traitor in Trump in the chain of command. There's no reason to risk our national security and democracy for any individual, whether it's the President or not.

I'm thankful Milley took a proactive step to reaffirm order when the damn capitol had just been attacked.

The fact he had to do what he did is the extremely disturbing point. Some of you should take ethics; laws are meant to be broken.
Progressive "logic" at it's finest. When thing don't go your way then run afoul of the rules/chain of command by any means necessary.

And stop pretending like you won't be pulling the lever for Kamala in '24. You're not fooling anyone. :lol: :dunce:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:20 pm

Progressive "logic" at it's finest. When thing don't go your way then run afoul of the rules/chain of command by any means necessary.

And stop pretending like you won't be pulling the lever for Kamala in '24. You're not fooling anyone. :lol: :dunce:
I'll pull the lever for the progressive candidate in the primary, and whoever the most progressive candidate is in the general.

As I always do.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:20 pm

Of course. That's literally one of the main logic differences studied between progressives and conservatives.

Progressives acknowledge the law, but don't necessarily think it should be followed if it's unethical. Rules are malleable.

Conservatives are typically more authoritarian. Rule, laws, chains-of-command must be followed no matter what.

Both ignore laws to get their way, but progressives are open about it while conservatives like to pretend they don't.