Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Re: Donald Trump gaffe and verbal bungles watch

Post by HI54UNI »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:46 am
HI54UNI wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:40 am

How should you view anonymous sources when there are people that are publicly stating the opposite - that the information is not true?
Let's look at the situation as a whole. I'm not going to easily believe someone that is a known liar. That's why in a post above I said I wish we knew who the source was. Let's look at the credibility of the people and confirm. I know journalists have a bias, as we all do, however a LOT of rigor and confirmation goes into stories like these before they get published. I'm more likely to believe that than a known liar telling me it's false. :twocents: Are stories ever wrong? Sure - and they get retracted when they aren't held up to scrutiny.
Are you only referring to Trump or others when talking about known liars? Because there are more people than just Trump on the record saying it didn't happen. That's why I asked the question.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:20 am

How should you view anonymous sources when there are people that are publicly stating the opposite - that the information is not true?
And what about the people publicly confirming the stories are true?
Are there people publicly confirming that he called soliders suckers and losers? I could have missed it. I saw something about Woodward confirming that he called the generals losers but not the common solider. Is that it?
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:16 am
89Hen wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:13 am

:shock: In what fantasy world do you live?
Indeed. I think Ibanez is living in the past world of journalism where that may have been true. Too many examples these days of "rigor" just ain't what it used to be.
I thought I was pretty jaded. Maybe not so much now...
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:33 am
Let's look at the situation as a whole. I'm not going to easily believe someone that is a known liar. That's why in a post above I said I wish we knew who the source was. Let's look at the credibility of the people and confirm. I know journalists have a bias, as we all do, however a LOT of rigor and confirmation goes into stories like these before they get published. I'm more likely to believe that than a known liar telling me it's false. :twocents: Are stories ever wrong? Sure - and they get retracted when they aren't held up to scrutiny.
Are you only referring to Trump or others when talking about known liars? Because there are more people than just Trump on the record saying it didn't happen. That's why I asked the question.
In this case it's Trump.

I haven't kept up with the story but has anyone other than Bolton, anyone that was there or part of the story denied it?

And should we really believe Bolton? I thought he was a turncoat, Never-Trumper.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:46 am
HI54UNI wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:33 am

In this case it's Trump.

I haven't kept up with the story but has anyone other than Bolton, anyone that was there or part of the story denied it?

And should we really believe Bolton? I thought he was a turncoat, Never-Trumper.
Bolton is a great microcosm of our current political divide - people either love him and quote him or they hate him and deride him depending on whether what he says meshes with their entrenched political views or not. And since he's said things that cater to both sides at one point or the other, you have the same folks lauding him and the next day despising him depending on the situation. Taken from the left, they hated Bolton for like a decade, he says crap about Trump and they love him, and then he seems to exonerate Trump and he's now unbelievable. Take that from the right, and it's exactly the opposite. And of course all of it tinged with some unsavory feeling since everyone, regardless of the side of the article, feel like something is just "off" with Bolton.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:02 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:41 am I don't know for sure that this is true but it is definitely believable.
So you fit in with a lot of people.

Saying it's believable is different than saying that it is true.

Those people had already convicted Kavanaugh. I'm not saying that Trump is guilty but that based on his past comments (about McCain, etc.) and history of lying it is believable that he would say something like that and then deny it.

You would have to be crazy or blindly partisan to completely dismiss the possibility. Are you crazy or blindly partisan?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:29 am Saying it's believable is different than saying that it is true.

Those people had already convicted Kavanaugh. I'm not saying that Trump is guilty but that based on his past comments (about McCain, etc.) and history of lying it is believable that he would say something like that and then deny it.

You would have to be crazy or blindly partisan to completely dismiss the possibility. Are you crazy or blindly partisan?
No, but IMO you're treading awfully close to 'believable therefore true'. When you use a phrase like "I don't know for sure that this is true but..." to me that means you think it IS true.

Totally believable. The woman's story about Kavanaugh is believable and possible.

It's completely believable that Biden used his power to get his son money from Ukraine.

It's completely believable that Kamala slept her way to the top.

It's completely believable that 1980's NDSU teams might have beaten some of the top I-AA's of the time.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:51 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:29 am Saying it's believable is different than saying that it is true.

No, but IMO you're treading awfully close to 'believable therefore true'. When you use a phrase like "I don't know for sure that this is true but..." to me that means you think it IS true.

Totally believable. The woman's story about Kavanaugh is believable and possible.

It's completely believable that Biden used his power to get his son money from Ukraine.

It's completely believable that 1980's NDSU teams might have beaten some of the top I-AA's of the time.
We're dealing with opinions here. I'm not sure if Trump actually said that but I do think it is possible. IMO, Kavanaugh was the victim of a witch hunt. I believe it completely possible that Biden leveraged his power for his son's benefit. I don't care if Kamala slept her way to the top so that is irrelevant to me except when Uumpa Truumpas are calling her a whore. Trump is an immoral whore.

I love the yin and yang of the bizumb faithful claims that 1) they came into FCS naked, broke and starving and built a juggernaut from the ground up and everyone can do what they did and 2) they would have won more FCS championships if they had been eligible during the transition/ their 80's teams would have won multiple FCS championships if they had played at that level. They want to be both the underdog and the undefeatable conquering hero.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:20 am
89Hen wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:51 am

We're dealing with opinions here. I'm not sure if Trump actually said that but I do think it is possible. IMO, Kavanaugh was the victim of a witch hunt. I believe it completely possible that Biden leveraged his power for his son's benefit. I don't care if Kamala slept her way to the top so that is irrelevant to me except when Uumpa Truumpas are calling her a whore. Trump is an immoral whore.

I love the yin and yang of the bizumb faithful claims that 1) they came into FCS naked, broke and starving and built a juggernaut from the ground up and everyone can do what they did and 2) they would have won more FCS championships if they had been eligible during the transition/ their 80's teams would have won multiple FCS championships if they had played at that level. They want to be both the underdog and the undefeatable conquering hero.
Or that since the CAA and UD are down the whole subdivision must be.

:lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:33 am

:nod: UD fans are to FCS what Eeyore is to the Hundred Acre Wood. :-P
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:35 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:08 pm
-If it was ‘confirmed’ it would be more than ‘anonymous sources’
-It could have come out anytime time during the past decade (esp 2015-2016) but just ‘happened’ to come out right before an election.
Get the f out of here with than Oct surprise BS.. :roll:
You don't get it. Someone confirmed a fact but has remained anonymous due to their position within the government or administration. It is possible to confirm something and not want your name associated with it.

Again - you seem to forgetting that this is politics. Timing is important.

What are you more upset about - the veracity of it all or that it might hurt Dear Leader in the election?
They didn’t confirm any ‘facts‘. And of course its politics. The timing of it alone tells you its likely false. If you believe years old allegations, from anonymouse sources, close to an election, brought forth by a guy who is a major Biden supporing lefty (600k donation), with a campaign commercial set to go minutes after it hit the Atlantic website, then you really are :dunce:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:33 pm
Ibanez wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:35 am

You don't get it. Someone confirmed a fact but has remained anonymous due to their position within the government or administration. It is possible to confirm something and not want your name associated with it.

Again - you seem to forgetting that this is politics. Timing is important.

What are you more upset about - the veracity of it all or that it might hurt Dear Leader in the election?
They didn’t confirm any ‘facts‘. And of course its politics. The timing of it alone tells you its likely false. If you believe years old allegations, from anonymouse sources, close to an election, brought forth by a guy who is a major Biden supporing lefty (600k donation), with a campaign commercial set to go minutes after it hit the Atlantic website, then you really are :dunce:
This is people who had no direct interaction with the incident claiming to have heard the facts.

No firsthand sources, just like Ukraine impeachment. That was so weak the Dems didn't dare bring it up during the DNC convention.

This story is just as bad, especially considering around 20 people WITH firsthand knowledge have come forward to deny the Atlantic story.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:00 pm

:nod: UD fans are to FCS what Eeyore is to the Hundred Acre Wood. :-P
“Oh darn..lost to Nova again...”
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:33 am Or that since the CAA and UD are down the whole subdivision must be.

You already got your ass handed to you on one thread about that. Sure you want to go 0-2?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:08 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:33 am Or that since the CAA and UD are down the whole subdivision must be.

You already got your ass handed to you on one thread about that. Sure you want to go 0-2?
You’ve replaced D1B in premature victory declarations.

Congrats!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:11 pm
89Hen wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:08 pm

Congrats!
:lol: 100 posts of you getting your ass kicked was hardly premature.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:15 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:11 pm

Congrats!
:lol: 100 posts of you getting your ass kicked was hardly premature.
What’s funny is you thinking anyone got their ass kicked. I thought some fair points were made on both sides.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:36 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:20 am
And what about the people publicly confirming the stories are true?
Are there people publicly confirming that he called soliders suckers and losers? I could have missed it. I saw something about Woodward confirming that he called the generals losers but not the common solider. Is that it?
Enough that small town folks are armed up, searching, and doxing.

I’ve seen similar posts on my newsfeed and only about a quarter of my friends are gullible right wing keyboard warriors.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:57 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:36 am

I’ve seen similar posts on my newsfeed and only about a quarter of my friends are gullible right wing keyboard warriors.
So in other words, no. :coffee:

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:32 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:57 pm

And FB, the FBI, WSP, WDFW, DNR, and local sheriffs have made public statements and social media posts to disregard these rumors as false.

:coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:13 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:32 pm

And FB, the FBI, WSP, WDFW, DNR, and local sheriffs have made public statements and social media posts to disregard these rumors as false.

:coffee:
Oops, wrong thread. :mrgreen:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

:lol: Can't believe anyone still believes the press is credible at this point. Just look at the Russia Russia Russia stories for example.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:10 am
SDHornet wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:47 am

I heard Woodward had these tapes for over 2 years.
Trump's a complete idiot and this Woodward thing is just another reason.

First of all, Woodward came out with a book in 2018 (Fear) that put the Presidency in an awful light. After the fact, Trump still let Woodward - the man who took down Nixon - to follow him around for two years.

Second, he give him permission to record everything. BTW, only 3 of the 19 interviews was in an official capacity and WH staff are supposedly sweating about what's in the rest. This brings up the third act of stupidity: Trump called Woodward for sixteen impromptu interviews. He's basically giving Woodward ammo to work with.

I'm sure Woodward stroked Trump's ego a little bit and Trump couldn't resist the temptation to brag; resisting this temptation is pretty difficult for narcissists and all it takes is a willing listener to give affirmative feedback. They are by far the easiest to manipulate into anything you want, which is also why Trump is the biggest national security threat the Presidency has ever faced.
Agreed. Another stupid move by Trump.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

:lol: :notworthy: