UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Donald Trump gaffe and verbal bungles watch

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:34 am
∞∞∞ wrote:
Thanks for making my point. One party is a diverse coalition with many different view points (aka. good democracy).

The other is loyal to one thing and it's not the United States.

At this point I think the GQP simply wants to the see the country burn and own the libs. That's the platform.
You are right - the parties are not remotely the same.

Their extremes have precisely the same endpoints though - and that is what you fail to grasp.

Fortunately, moderates still decide elections in this country for now, and they will reliably lean towards the least extreme of the two sides
The problem is that the extremes have too much influence in the primaries and give the moderates shitty choices in the general election.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:11 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:19 am
Eh, the pandemic is waning in terms of impact on the politics. People are still going to die, so don't think I'm understating this, but for most people it's life as usual, except for needing to wear masks every now and then or needing a vaccination card in certain settings. Sports stadiums are packed, restaurants that made it through are open, movies are back in swing, schools are in person all 5 days, etc. Mandates, when they happen, are going to be largely privately driven now - I don't see the OSHA angle moving forward, so mandates will happen business by business. Politically, it won't mean much anymore.

You're right about Trump being a wildcard - if he runs again there's a very good chance he doesn't win again. The GOP would be shooting themselves in the foot having him run, but hey, it happens.

The other wildcard is how badly does Biden continue to do. Some of the screwups are temporary (i.e. pissing off the French), but others could keep coming back to haunt him (i.e. terrorists coming out of Afghanistan, inflation staying at the elevated levels it is now, etc). At some point you have to wonder when the Dems cut bait with Biden and either talk him into resigning or forcing him out - I see that happening no later than after the midterms, but maybe they do it or are forced to do it sooner if his mental capacity continues to slide.
Disagree. Even the pandemic waning has implications…both domestically and internationally regarding economics and faith in institutions among other things. I still hope we are seeing a massive shift culturally and politically in real time.
FYP - a "massive shift culturally and politically in real time" will vindicate your opinions ... :kisswink:

I agree with Ganny. I think the pandemics impact on politics is waning due to Biden's mishandling of the mandates. Independents have watched both he and Trump trip over their dicks with the pandemic and have little faith in either party's ability to handle the situation.

Shift is probably the wrong word. We're seeing more of a schism as the extremists on either side move further away from reason and good governance. Hopefully rational people will prevail.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:36 am
kalm wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:29 am

Familiar with them?
100% guarantee he's not.

At this point, people like 89 can't accept they've been bamboozled by a party that hates Democracy because (I hope) he genuinely loves Democracy. They can't reconciliate the fact the GQP isn't actually conservative anymore, but just an anti-Democracy party and nothing more...so they just ignore it and tell themselves it's something other than it is. Classic head-in-sand.

And God-forbid they support the fairly moderate Donks who have been painted as this evil party that wants to destroy America.
You have gone full retard. Never go full retard.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:25 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:36 am 100% guarantee he's not.

At this point, people like 89 can't accept they've been bamboozled by a party that hates Democracy because (I hope) he genuinely loves Democracy. They can't reconciliate the fact the GQP isn't actually conservative anymore, but just an anti-Democracy party and nothing more...so they just ignore it and tell themselves it's something other than it is. Classic head-in-sand.

And God-forbid they support the fairly moderate Donks who have been painted as this evil party that wants to destroy America.
You have gone full retard. Never go full retard.
I forgot to ask Trip who painted the fairly moderate Donks (Manchin, Sinema, etc.) as evil? The pseudo-progressives are much more guilty of that characterization than any Conk.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:49 am

Disagree. Even the pandemic waning has implications…both domestically and internationally regarding economics and faith in institutions among other things. I still hope we are seeing a massive shift culturally and politically in real time.
FYP - a "massive shift culturally and politically in real time" will vindicate your opinions ... :kisswink:

I agree with Ganny. I think the pandemics impact on politics is waning due to Biden's mishandling of the mandates. Independents have watched both he and Trump trip over their dicks with the pandemic and have little faith in either party's ability to handle the situation.

Shift is probably the wrong word. We're seeing more of a schism as the extremists on either side move further away from reason and good governance. Hopefully rational people will prevail.
I’m cool with it either way. Remember when Ganny used to take shots at me for being nostalgic? :lol:

Change is inevitable. Rapid change coincides with crisis periods. History doesn’t necessarily repeat itself but it echoes, and sometimes loudly.

Regardless, the pandemic will continue to influence politics. Perhaps in different ways than we see now, but it will remain a wildcard. Simply from an economic and worldwide standpoint alone.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:56 am

I’m cool with it either way. Remember when Ganny used to take shots at me for being nostalgic? :lol:

Change is inevitable. Rapid change coincides with crisis periods. History doesn’t necessarily repeat itself but it echoes, and sometimes loudly.

Regardless, the pandemic will continue to influence politics. Perhaps in different ways than we see now, but it will remain a wildcard. Simply from an economic and worldwide standpoint alone.
Of course it will impact and have influence, my point, by using the term "waning", meant that those impacts and influences are not nearly as important anymore. Everyday you hear nations pulling back restrictions - some with high vaccination rates (e.g. Denmark) some with rates like the US (e.g. Japan) - but the implication is that people are just moving forward anymore. Where you'll see the restrictions and protections aren't going to be government directed, they are going to be far more granular than that and will be businesses and schools doing that. But no, the implication of the word waning was not going away to absolutely no impact or influence.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:11 am

This may be true but the pandemic, Trump and loyalty to Trump are serious wildcards.
Eh, the pandemic is waning in terms of impact on the politics. People are still going to die, so don't think I'm understating this, but for most people it's life as usual, except for needing to wear masks every now and then or needing a vaccination card in certain settings. Sports stadiums are packed, restaurants that made it through are open, movies are back in swing, schools are in person all 5 days, etc. Mandates, when they happen, are going to be largely privately driven now - I don't see the OSHA angle moving forward, so mandates will happen business by business. Politically, it won't mean much anymore.

You're right about Trump being a wildcard - if he runs again there's a very good chance he doesn't win again. The GOP would be shooting themselves in the foot having him run, but hey, it happens.

The other wildcard is how badly does Biden continue to do. Some of the screwups are temporary (i.e. pissing off the French), but others could keep coming back to haunt him (i.e. terrorists coming out of Afghanistan, inflation staying at the elevated levels it is now, etc). At some point you have to wonder when the Dems cut bait with Biden and either talk him into resigning or forcing him out - I see that happening no later than after the midterms, but maybe they do it or are forced to do it sooner if his mental capacity continues to slide.
Did you type that with a straight face? :lol:

I mean it's just a yellow star you have to wear on your jacket. Then it's just a box car you have to board...
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

:nod:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:31 am

I mean it's just a yellow star you have to wear on your jacket. Then it's just a box car you have to board...
Gannon is a centrist. Just ask him.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Holocaust comparisons just don't work in this case at all, but, by all means, continue to misapply the history you poorly learned in school.

As for the burden, heck, even if you don't want to be vaccinated, has there ever been a more easy thing in the history of government documents to forge than the current CDC vaccination card? No raised markings, no special paper other than plain white card stock, no ability to easily trace the dose information on the card. Heck, I wouldn't doubt at this point if we're at 60% vaccination rate but at 95% rate of people having vaccination cards. Those who are being fired now for not following a vaccination mandate at their work are either hyper-partisans determined to find a hill to die on or are just lazy.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:01 pm

I don't think I've ever called myself a centrist. I simply pick and choose the correct answer on any issue wherever it comes from - from the left, from the right, or even from those loony libertarians. The correct answer doesn't know political divisions. :thumb:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:04 pm

Holocaust comparisons just don't work in this case at all, but, by all means, continue to misapply the history you poorly learned in school.

As for the burden, heck, even if you don't want to be vaccinated, has there ever been a more easy thing in the history of government documents to forge than the current CDC vaccination card? No raised markings, no special paper other than plain white card stock, no ability to easily trace the dose information on the card. Heck, I wouldn't doubt at this point if we're at 60% vaccination rate but at 95% rate of people having vaccination cards. Those who are being fired now for not following a vaccination mandate at their work are either hyper-partisans determined to find a hill to die on or are just lazy.
Oh you're right. "Papers please" never really happened. :lol:

And I agree that this will be driven by "non-government" entities...that are encouraged via CDC mandates and the such.

And why would anyone forge a vax card. That is unethical. :coffee:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:07 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:01 pm

I don't think I've ever called myself a centrist. I simply pick and choose the correct answer on any issue wherever it comes from - from the left, from the right, or even from those loony libertarians. The correct answer doesn't know political divisions. :thumb:
So, all we need to do to solve America’s problems is to elect you President. :coffee:

I’ll pass. :lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:08 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:04 pm

And I agree that this will be driven by "non-government" entities...that are encouraged via CDC mandates and the such.

Let me know when asking for identification or asking for vaccination status leads to genocide. Not getting to eat in some fancy NYC restaurant is not the same as being thrown into an oven.

I drive faster than the speed limit every day of my life. I'm so unethical. :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:09 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:07 pm

So, all we need to do to solve America’s problems is to elect you President. :coffee:

I’ll pass. :lol:
Nonsense, as my wife will gladly tell you, I'm wrong at least 20-30 times every day. I'm far from perfect.

My point on the centrism thing is that I don't think the middle of each party's moderates is necessarily the right position in all cases, on the contrary, it often isn't the best policy. I'm like a cafeteria voter, sometimes I like something the far left or the far right has to say, and sometimes I like something the more moderates have proposed. I'm against capital punishment in probably any and all cases (I could be swayed on treason during wartime, depending on the treasonous activity). But I also think the open border crap that folks like Trip propose are just sheer lunacy.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:12 pm

Let me know when asking for identification or asking for vaccination status leads to genocide. Not getting to eat in some fancy NYC restaurant is not the same as being thrown into an oven.

I drive faster than the speed limit every day of my life. I'm so unethical. :coffee:
You rube!
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

So where does having to be jabbed to work fall on your "not a big deal" list?

Why does it matter? Because there are fucking retards out there that think you shouldn't even be allowed to buy food without a jab, or even be a part of society for that matter. Slippery slope my dude, and we've seen enough in the last 20 years to know that the wrong fucktard with the power would go this draconian.

But by all means pretend this isn't possible, or won't happen.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:22 pm

Why does it matter? Because there are fucking retards out there that think you shouldn't even be allowed to buy food without a jab, or even be a part of society for that matter. Slippery slope my dude, and we've seen enough in the last 20 years to know that the wrong fucktard with the power would go this draconian.

And I think a nerve has been struck. :winky:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

There's no slippery slope here. Courts have already been intervening into the mandate morass and will continue to do so. There will always be places to buy and eat food, even for the unvaccinated. If the Trump/Biden fiascos have shown anything, it's that even with absolutely clueless people in the White House, there's only so much power that job really has, and that there will always be checks and balances in place to avoid anything truly draconian. For better or for worse, we're a nation that is checked and balanced into not drastically swinging too far in any particular direction.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:30 pm

There's no slippery slope here. Courts have already been intervening into the mandate morass and will continue to do so. There will always be places to buy and eat food, even for the unvaccinated. If the Trump/Biden fiascos have shown anything, it's that even with absolutely clueless people in the White House, there's only so much power that job really has, and that there will always be checks and balances in place to avoid anything truly draconian. For better or for worse, we're a nation that is checked and balanced into not drastically swinging too far in any particular direction.
Going with the separate but equal option. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:25 pm

The people thinking it's "not a big deal" or "it won't get worse" are worse than those advocating for the draconian measures. History tells us this.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Former President Donald Trump once asked former White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham's then-boyfriend whether she was "good in bed," according to her forthcoming book, "I'll Take Your Questions Now," which was obtained by the Washington Post.
The book also states that Trump once called Grisham while he was on Air Force One to ask her to confirm that his penis was not small or toadstool-shaped.
Trump's former press secretary said the president asked her boyfriend if she's 'good in bed': book
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:34 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:30 pm

Going with the separate but equal option. :lol:
If you want to improperly apply another aspect of history to current events again, then sure, go right ahead.

I imagine if Blacks could not have easily passed for being Caucasian as an unvaccinated person could do today with a 30 cents vaccine card knockoff then it'd be a better analogy.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:35 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:25 pm

The people thinking it's "not a big deal" or "it won't get worse" are worse than those advocating for the draconian measures. History tells us this.
Your grasp of history is breathtakingly poor. If that was the case, when people want to vilify someone, how come rather than calling them "another Hitler" (i.e. the one advocating draconian measures), why don't they call them a "Chamberlain" (i.e. a won't get worse type)? The guy planning and implementing the Holocaust is a little worse than the guy who didn't think he'd actually go through with it.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:44 pm
SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:35 pm

Your grasp of history is breathtakingly poor. If that was the case, when people want to vilify someone, how come rather than calling them "another Hitler" (i.e. the one advocating draconian measures), why don't they call them a "Chamberlain" (i.e. a won't get worse type)? The guy planning and implementing the Holocaust is a little worse than the guy who didn't think he'd actually go through with it.
History reflects poorly on both of those people, no?