Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Donald Trump gaffe and verbal bungles watch

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:58 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:56 am
Not even close lol. Never before in this country’s history have we had criminal charges that are clearly rooted in political animus by a state level elected prosecutor of one party against the #1 presidential candidate of the opposite party. Something prior we had only seen in bananna republics. Talk about a threat to democracy.
... he hasn't been convicted of anything yet, just indicated. Relax and have a cup of covfefe
Not convicted, exactly. I've said it before, but almost everyone who's knowledgeable does everything through lawyers and accountants. Trump did.

Regardless if there is nothing there, this is more a means to keep Trump's name, in a bad way, in spotlight. Look at the "secret documents". Lots of leaks before the election, now nothing. Just needed it to gin up the low information voters, which is probably 80% of the electorate.

I expect there to be some new form of vilification up to the 2024 election.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:07 am
houndawg wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:58 am

... he hasn't been convicted of anything yet, just indicated. Relax and have a cup of covfefe
Not convicted, exactly. I've said it before, but almost everyone who's knowledgeable does everything through lawyers and accountants. Trump did.

Regardless if there is nothing there, this is more a means to keep Trump's name, in a bad way, in spotlight. Look at the "secret documents". Lots of leaks before the election, now nothing. Just needed it to gin up the low information voters, which is probably 80% of the electorate.

I’m going to commit homicide but it’s through my lawyer and accountant so I’m ok.

And there is plenty of actual criminality being investigated. Not much need to vilify beyond what’s already being alleged.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote:
houndawg wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:58 am ... he hasn't been convicted of anything yet, just indicated. Relax and have a cup of covfefe

trump sets himself up be vilified with his words and actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

This is all some massive conspiracy. Random jurors had to be convinced with facts and truths to arrive at this decision. Are we saying everything that was presented and said was a fabrication?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:34 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:07 am

I’m going to commit homicide but it’s through my lawyer and accountant so I’m ok.

And there is plenty of actual criminality being investigated. Not much need to vilify beyond what’s already being alleged.
So you've seen the filed charges?

Whoa. 8-)
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:13 pm This is all some massive conspiracy. Random jurors had to be convinced with facts and truths to arrive at this decision. Are we saying everything that was presented and said was a fabrication?
You know what a conspiracy is, don't you? Something whispered in secret. This is hardly whispered.

Anyway, you know how a grand jury works right, especially this one.
The grand jury can compel witnesses to testify before them. Unlike the trial proceedings, the grand jury's proceedings are secret; the defendant and his attorney are not present for witnesses' testimony, except if the defendant testifies himself. A judge is not present either.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

That's comparing a grand jury to a trial, though. It's not analogous to a trial at all.

If you're suspected of burglary, a judge just has to be shown probable cause to issue an arrest warrant for you. You and your lawyers aren't present to argue with the judge. It's much tougher to get an indictment from a grand jury.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

The real tell will be if the gag Trump. Gotta keep the sham going.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:24 pm That's comparing a grand jury to a trial, though. It's not analogous to a trial at all.

If you're suspected of burglary, a judge just has to be shown probable cause to issue an arrest warrant for you. You and your lawyers aren't present to argue with the judge. It's much tougher to get an indictment from a grand jury.
Are you talking to me? If you are, you're telling me the grand jury that was convened against Trump had a judge and Trump's attorney's present?
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:47 pm
Skjellyfetti wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:24 pm That's comparing a grand jury to a trial, though. It's not analogous to a trial at all.

Are you talking to me? If you are, you're telling me the grand jury that was convened against Trump had a judge and Trump's attorney's present?
Yes, I'm talking to you. No, that's not what I said. Try reading again.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:34 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:47 pm

Yes, I'm talking to you. No, that's not what I said. Try reading again.
I still don't see your point. My point is a grand jury, which did not have Trump's lawyers present, nor a judge, came up with an indictment.

We shall see when all this stuff is presented in a real court of law. A ham sandwich can be indicted.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:38 pmI still don't see your point. My point is a grand jury, which did not have Trump's lawyers present, nor a judge, came up with an indictment.
I'm saying that's normal and not really an issue.

If it were a trial, you have a point and it would be unconstitutional. My point is that it's not a trial or analogous to a trial. It's a kinda big distinction.

The other route - just showing probable cause to a judge is actually a lower hurdle (and you and your lawyers are also not present and can't cross examine anyone). At least for federal charges - you can waive your right to a grand jury. I'd assume the same in New York. No one ever does that because it's more in the defendant's benefit to convince 12 peers to indict you than 1 judge. :coffee:
Last edited by Skjellyfetti on Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:47 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:38 pmI still don't see your point. My point is a grand jury, which did not have Trump's lawyers present, nor a judge, came up with an indictment.
I'm saying that's normal and not really an issue.

If it were a trial, you have a point and it would be unconstitutional. My point is that it's not a trial or analogous to a trial. It's a kinda big distinction.
I know it's normal, but you have a case the DOJ refused to pursue, a nutjob jury forewoman that embarrassed herself and Soros backed Bragg in highly partisan SDNY. We'll see how well this case holds up at trial. That was simply my point and to counter Ibanez claim it all was a conspiracy.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:57 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:34 pm

So you've seen the filed charges?

Whoa. 8-)
:lol:

They haven’t been filed yet but it’s not a stretch based on who’s been subpoenaed alone or fines or hush money or general douchebaggery. Cohen was investigated for the same crime and then there’s Weisslberg.

So nice try. :)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:12 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:56 am
Not even close lol. Never before in this country’s history have we had criminal charges that are clearly rooted in political animus by a state level elected prosecutor of one party against the #1 presidential candidate of the opposite party. Something prior we had only seen in bananna republics. Talk about a threat to democracy.
How many times have we had a sitting President incite a riot in hopes of overturning an election and stopping the legal transfer of power?
Zero.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:13 pm This is all some massive conspiracy. Random jurors had to be convinced with facts and truths to arrive at this decision. Are we saying everything that was presented and said was a fabrication?
You ever heard the expression ‘Could indict a ham sandwich’? You only have to have 12 of 23 grand jurors vote to indict. And that jury pool is uber left. What was Manhattan 2020- like 95-5? They could probably get 12 of 23 Manhattanites to indict Trump for well, basically anything.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:22 pm
You ever heard the expression ‘Could indict a ham sandwich’? You only have to have 12 of 23 grand jurors vote to indict. And that jury pool is uber left. What was Manhattan 2020- like 95-5? They could probably get 12 of 23 Manhattanites to indict Trump for well, basically anything.
This is the DA trying to get Trump. All one need's to know. Garage worker gets shot twice by robber. Gets the gun away and shoots the robber, but is now being charged with attempted murder.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:27 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:22 pm
This is the DA trying to get Trump. All one need's to know. Garage worker gets shot twice by robber. Gets the gun away and shoots the robber, but is now being charged with attempted murder.

You mean a DA is prosecuting people?

The horror.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:46 am

The horror.
Yes. Trying to prosecute a guy who got shot twice trying to do his job.

Tried to prosecute this guy too. Apparently Bragg just wants you to simply let others kill you. No defending yourself.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

You mean a DA is prosecuting victims?

The horror.
FIFY
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:52 am

The horror.

Tried to prosecute this guy too. Apparently Bragg just wants you to simply let others kill you. No defending yourself.

For Bragg it is illegal to defend yourself against an armed robber.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Bragg has also had the majority of felony charges in Manhattan dropp to misdemeanor or dropped period.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

The horror.

Well this doesn’t sound good at all.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:59 am

Don't know if you are being sarcastic, but the video doesn't show how the owner was also being stabbed by the guys girlfriend (in the arm) as he was trying to defend himself. I don't think the girlfriend got in trouble for her role.

If I remember correctly, it was all over the girls EBT card not working and as such, the Bodega owner wouldn't let her have her items for free, so she called her boyfriend to show the owner a lesson.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:16 am
kalm wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:59 am

Don't know if you are being sarcastic, but the video doesn't show how the owner was also being stabbed by the guys girlfriend (in the arm) as he was trying to defend himself. I don't think the girlfriend got in trouble for her role.

If I remember correctly, it was all over the girls EBT card not working and as such, the Bodega owner wouldn't let her have her items for free, so she called her boyfriend to show the owner a lesson.
I was sincere. Selective prosecution goes on in every district in the country. I wouldn’t expect New York to be different.

That’s not the same issue as whether a grand jury voted to indict Trump.