Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Donald Trump gaffe and verbal bungles watch

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:39 pm
SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:34 pm

Going with the separate but equal option. :lol:
If you want to improperly apply another aspect of history to current events again, then sure, go right ahead.

I imagine if Blacks could not have easily passed for being Caucasian as an unvaccinated person could do today with a 30 cents vaccine card knockoff then it'd be a better analogy.
You're falling into the same pitfall Trip did. Blacks and Hispanics are much less likely to get vaxxed than whites, hence this mandate is a de facto discriminatory mandate on people of color. I properly applied that aspect of history to the current situation. Hell, even BLM is calling for action against these mandates because its so blatantly discriminatory.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:52 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:39 pm

If you want to improperly apply another aspect of history to current events again, then sure, go right ahead.

I imagine if Blacks could not have easily passed for being Caucasian as an unvaccinated person could do today with a 30 cents vaccine card knockoff then it'd be a better analogy.
You're falling into the same pitfall Trip did. Blacks and Hispanics are much less likely to get vaxxed than whites, hence this mandate is a de facto discriminatory mandate on people of color. I properly applied that aspect of history to the current situation. Hell, even BLM is calling for action against these mandates because its so blatantly discriminatory.
And you're falling into the same pitfall as the Trumpers are that this is the same as the Holocaust. I already pointed out, correctly, that the application of these mandates are already being blocked, and will continue to be blocked, at many levels. Sure, in some places, like schools, mandates will win out (and given the number of vaccine mandates already in place at schools it's not surprising). Same goes for the military or other similar institutions. Even in some places where there are mandates there are opt outs for frequent testing. But for the vast majority of business and establishments, there won't be mandates. And just one reason why they aren't going to be instituted is exactly for the reason you put out there - disparate outcomes. So you already undermine your own assertion that these mandates are going to be widespread and pervasive by pointing out exactly why they won't be. So apparently there won't be a run on human sized kilns. Good to know. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:01 pm
SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:52 pm

And you're falling into the same pitfall as the Trumpers are that this is the same as the Holocaust. I already pointed out, correctly, that the application of these mandates are already being blocked, and will continue to be blocked, at many levels. Sure, in some places, like schools, mandates will win out (and given the number of vaccine mandates already in place at schools it's not surprising). Same goes for the military or other similar institutions. Even in some places where there are mandates there are opt outs for frequent testing. But for the vast majority of business and establishments, there won't be mandates. And just one reason why they aren't going to be instituted is exactly for the reason you put out there - disparate outcomes. So you already undermine your own assertion that these mandates are going to be widespread and pervasive by pointing out exactly why they won't be. So apparently there won't be a run on human sized kilns. Good to know. :coffee:
You're right. It's not the same since no one is being hauled off to camps...yet (at least here, there are already "quarantine" camps down under)... :roll:

And didn't know opposing government over-reach is a Trumper thing but mmkay...

And yes, I already said this will be run by the private sector...at the behest of gubmint encouragement.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Here you go Ganny. :coffee:

Why does Biden* hate black and brown people?

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:05 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:01 pm

You're right. It's not the same since no one is being hauled off to camps...yet (at least here, there are already "quarantine" camps down under)... :roll:

And yes, I already said this will be run by the private sector...at the behest of gubmint encouragement.
Listen, you're the one that made the Holocaust analogy, and are now doubling down on it despite it being an ahistorical comparison. Heck, is it that hard to see the difference between what we did to intern Japanese-Americans in WWII (a far, far better analogy) is more appropriate of an analogy than the genocidal camps for Jews and others in the Holocaust?

As for government, it's evenly split right now between Dems and the GOP, and the Dems can't seem to get anything done (and are looking at electoral defeat in 2022). Again, the checks and balances (one of which is the ballot box) are working pretty well to avoid the dystopian future you seem convinced we're already living in.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Dystopian future? That's a good reach, even for you.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:16 pm Dystopian future? That's a good reach, even for you.
Oh, I'm sorry, you think all of this has already happened. So dystopian present then. Better? :rofl:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:27 pm
SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:16 pm Dystopian future? That's a good reach, even for you.
Oh, I'm sorry, you think all of this has already happened. So dystopian present then. Better? :rofl:
Vax passports are in full effect in other countries (see Australia, NZ, France), and you think that isn't the plan here?

Honest question, you don't think the goal is vax passports here in the US?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:34 pm

Vax passports are in full effect in other countries (see Australia, NZ, France), and you think that isn't the plan here?

Honest question, you don't think the goal is vax passports here in the US?
For some, absolutely, vax passports are the goal. And here, in the US, it will never be a universal reality. Just like how gun ownership in those other countries is severely limited, here in the US it's a different story.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:15 pm
SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:05 pm

Listen, you're the one that made the Holocaust analogy, and are now doubling down on it despite it being an ahistorical comparison. Heck, is it that hard to see the difference between what we did to intern Japanese-Americans in WWII (a far, far better analogy) is more appropriate of an analogy than the genocidal camps for Jews and others in the Holocaust?

As for government, it's evenly split right now between Dems and the GOP, and the Dems can't seem to get anything done (and are looking at electoral defeat in 2022). Again, the checks and balances (one of which is the ballot box) are working pretty well to avoid the dystopian future you seem convinced we're already living in.
The mandates might not be the final step toward an authoritarian government but they are a step in that direction. We're slowly giving the government more control over our lives and freedoms with little resistance. Some of the previous steps pleased the right (Patriot Act) and some pleased the left (mask mandates). Each "side" thinks that their steps are reasonable and that the other "side's" are draconian and will usher in the 4th Reich. The problem isn't in any single step, it's in the slow degradation of our freedoms.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

I spoke too soon. Here is a NY State Bill set to be voted on.

Section 1. The public health law is amended by adding a new section
2120-a to read as follows:
§ 2120-A. REMOVAL AND DETENTION OF CASES, CONTACTS AND CARRIERS WHO
ARE OR MAY BE A DANGER TO PUBLIC HEALTH; OTHER ORDERS. 1. THE PROVISIONS
OF THIS SECTION SHALL BE UTILIZED IN THE EVENT THAT THE GOVERNOR
DECLARES A STATE OF HEALTH EMERGENCY DUE TO AN EPIDEMIC OF ANY COMMUNI-
CABLE DISEASE.
2. UPON DETERMINING BY CLEAR AND CONVINCING EVIDENCE THAT THE HEALTH
OF OTHERS IS OR MAY BE ENDANGERED BY A CASE, CONTACT OR CARRIER, OR
SUSPECTED CASE, CONTACT OR CARRIER OF A CONTAGIOUS DISEASE THAT, IN THE
OPINION OF THE GOVERNOR, AFTER CONSULTATION WITH THE COMMISSIONER, MAY
POSE AN IMMINENT AND SIGNIFICANT THREAT TO THE PUBLIC HEALTH RESULTING
IN SEVERE MORBIDITY OR HIGH MORTALITY, THE GOVERNOR OR HIS OR HER DELE-
GEE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE COMMISSIONER OR THE HEADS OF
LOCAL HEALTH DEPARTMENTS, MAY ORDER THE REMOVAL AND/OR DETENTION OF SUCH
A PERSON OR OF A GROUP OF SUCH PERSONS BY ISSUING A SINGLE ORDER, IDEN-
TIFYING SUCH PERSONS EITHER BY NAME OR BY A REASONABLY SPECIFIC
DESCRIPTION OF THE INDIVIDUALS OR GROUP BEING DETAINED. SUCH PERSON OR
GROUP OF PERSONS SHALL BE DETAINED IN A MEDICAL FACILITY OR OTHER APPRO-
PRIATE FACILITY
OR PREMISES DESIGNATED BY THE GOVERNOR OR HIS OR HER
DELEGEE AND COMPLYING WITH SUBDIVISION FIVE OF THIS SECTION.
But at least it's not genocide yet, right Ganny?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:45 pm

The mandates might not be the final step toward an authoritarian government but they are a step in that direction. We're slowly giving the government more control over our lives and freedoms with little resistance. Some of the previous steps pleased the right (Patriot Act) and some pleased the left (mask mandates). Each "side" thinks that their steps are reasonable and that the other "side's" are draconian and will usher in the 4th Reich. The problem isn't in any single step, it's in the slow degradation of our freedoms.
Yep. For whatever reason, Ganny doesn't seem to grasp what is going on and the direction we are headed.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:45 pm

I know literally no one on the right who was “pleased” by the Patriot Act. No one.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Stephanie Grisham says she and other Trump staffers 'got heady with power' and 'didn't think about serving the country'
Grisham, who served as White House press secretary and communications director, is highly critical of her former boss and his White House in her forthcoming tell-all memoir, "I'll Take Your Questions Now." She blamed herself for enabling a president she describes as dishonest, incompetent, and inappropriate during an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos on "Good Morning America."
Grisham wrote that the Trump White House was constantly in chaos and at one point in her book said the operation was "like a clown car on fire running at full speed into a warehouse full of fireworks." She told Stephanopoulos that Trump "loved the chaos."
Not surprising.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:56 am Stephanie Grisham says she and other Trump staffers 'got heady with power' and 'didn't think about serving the country'
Grisham, who served as White House press secretary and communications director, is highly critical of her former boss and his White House in her forthcoming tell-all memoir, "I'll Take Your Questions Now." She blamed herself for enabling a president she describes as dishonest, incompetent, and inappropriate during an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos on "Good Morning America."
Grisham wrote that the Trump White House was constantly in chaos and at one point in her book said the operation was "like a clown car on fire running at full speed into a warehouse full of fireworks." She told Stephanopoulos that Trump "loved the chaos."
Not surprising.
I thought that was pretty obvious from watching it play out in real time. Did she think no one was noticing? :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:16 am
I thought that was pretty obvious from watching it play out in real time. Did she think no one was noticing? :coffee:
She's cashing in but there are plenty of people who pretended it wasn't happening.

I do love the description that the operation was "like a clown car on fire running at full speed into a warehouse full of fireworks."
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:18 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:16 am

She's cashing in but there are plenty of people who pretended it wasn't happening.

I do love the description that the operation was "like a clown car on fire running at full speed into a warehouse full of fireworks."
how would one describe the current "operation"? Because it surely isn't any better.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:17 am

how would one describe the current "operation"? Because it surely isn't any better.
Agreed. Although I'd argue that this one is a little different - I think Trump knew what was going on most of the time and was directing a portion of it. I think Biden's directing very little and knows even less. 25th amendment here we come. :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

The current "operation" is more like a mental health facility with no healthcare workers to oversee the patients.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:09 pm

The current "operation" is more like a mental health facility with healthcare workers using the patients to collect their social security checks and then steal those checks for themselves.
FYP
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Jimmy Kimmel and Seth Meyers laugh at Trump's low-energy Iowa rally, Capitol riot crowd size fixation
"Happy Indigenous Peoples or Columbus Day, depending upon which cable news network you watch," Jimmy Kimmel said on Monday's Kimmel Live. "It's weird to celebrate these on the same day — it's like celebrating herpes on Valentine's Day."
"Among the many not-surprising surprises, Karl says that during the riot on Jan. 6, Trump was bragging about the size of the crowd that stormed the Capitol." That's "like bragging about the size of your tumor," he laughed. "Size matters so much to him, it's almost as if he's insecure about something." Trump also reportedly had to do multiple takes of his video telling his supporters to stop ransacking the Capitol "because he kept forgetting to tell them to stop ransacking the Capitol," he said. "I'd love to see the outtakes from that one."
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:40 pm Jimmy Kimmel and Seth Meyers laugh at Trump's low-energy Iowa rally, Capitol riot crowd size fixation
"Happy Indigenous Peoples or Columbus Day, depending upon which cable news network you watch," Jimmy Kimmel said on Monday's Kimmel Live. "It's weird to celebrate these on the same day — it's like celebrating herpes on Valentine's Day."
"Among the many not-surprising surprises, Karl says that during the riot on Jan. 6, Trump was bragging about the size of the crowd that stormed the Capitol." That's "like bragging about the size of your tumor," he laughed. "Size matters so much to him, it's almost as if he's insecure about something." Trump also reportedly had to do multiple takes of his video telling his supporters to stop ransacking the Capitol "because he kept forgetting to tell them to stop ransacking the Capitol," he said. "I'd love to see the outtakes from that one."
The wife and I have been watching Seth Meyer’s “Closer Look” clips all year. Funny stuff. Kimmel is ok but almost seems like he has early on-set of dementia at times.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:46 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:40 pm Jimmy Kimmel and Seth Meyers laugh at Trump's low-energy Iowa rally, Capitol riot crowd size fixation[/url]

The wife and I have been watching Seth Meyer’s “Closer Look” clips all year. Funny stuff. Kimmel is ok but almost seems like he has early on-set of dementia at times.
Didn't know Meyers was still on. I guess you are the two who watch.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:50 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:46 pm
I don't watch either. Just popped up on my feedback and thought the Trump digs were funny and somewhat accurate.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:56 pm
89Hen wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:50 pm

I don't watch either. Just popped up on my feedback and thought the Trump digs were funny and somewhat accurate.
I meant Mr and Mrs Kalm.