Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Donald Trump gaffe and verbal bungles watch

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:43 am
Ibanez wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:46 am
Let's look at the situation as a whole. I'm not going to easily believe someone that is a known liar. That's why in a post above I said I wish we knew who the source was. Let's look at the credibility of the people and confirm. I know journalists have a bias, as we all do, however a LOT of rigor and confirmation goes into stories like these before they get published. I'm more likely to believe that than a known liar telling me it's false. :twocents: Are stories ever wrong? Sure - and they get retracted when they aren't held up to scrutiny.
:lol: Can't believe anyone still believes the press is credible at this point. Just look at the Russia Russia Russia stories for example.
True as a whole. And it’s a huge problem. :nod:

But Ibanez’s point is still valid.

The editor of the Atlantic has more to lose and way more resources at his disposal including access to witnesses and ability to corroborate a story through real paid reporters and fact checkers than Joe Blow posting a meme he got off social media.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:50 am

:lol: Can't believe anyone still believes the press is credible at this point. Just look at the Russia Russia Russia stories for example.

The editor of the Atlantic has more to lose and way more resources at his disposal including access to witnesses and ability to corroborate a story through real paid reporters and fact checkers than Joe Blow posting a meme he got off social media.
I think you're giving too much credit to the Atlantic. I would hope major news outlets would vet their stories, but given their track record in the last decade it's safe to say that doesn't happen in most cases.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Donald Trump gaffe and verbal bungholes watch

Post by UNI88 »

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

“Journalists” (and I put that word in quotes because I think there’s nary a REAL journalist left in this country) have not just biases, but AGENDAS. There is no more “we report, you decide”. EVERY journalist has a predetermined agenda and every story is slanted to support/advance that agenda.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:34 pm

“Journalists” (and I put that word in quotes because I think there’s nary a REAL journalist left in this country) have not just biases, but AGENDAS. There is no more “we report, you decide”. EVERY journalist has a predetermined agenda and every story is slanted to support/advance that agenda.
If you believed there was ever a time where “we report, you decide” was all that was required, that’s part of your problem. :coffee:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:25 am

If you believed there was ever a time where “we report, you decide” was all that was required, that’s part of your problem. :coffee:
No, it’s part of yours. Remember when there was a distinction between “investigative reporters” and those who just “read the news”? I do.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:37 am

No, it’s part of yours. Remember when there was a distinction between “investigative reporters” and those who just “read the news”? I do.
Yes I do. Both are still around although they can be drowned out by all the competition.

That doesn’t change the responsibility of the consumer to read between the lines with a healthy degree of skepticism.
Last edited by kalm on Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

I believe we were way further up that slippery slope 40 years ago, we weren't perfect, but there was way less bias/agendas in MSM. But when mainstream news channels began attempting to compete with the National Enquirer for stories and it was report on rumor and retract (on page 25) on fact, and when every channel OPENLY began displaying political bias and agenda that used to be reserved for the opinion pages, any semblance of trust in the media (like we had with Walter Cronkite, etc.) was long gone and it ain't ever coming back.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:51 am
Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:37 am

Yes I do. Both are still around although they can be drowned out by all the competition.

That doesn’t change the responsibility of the consumer to read between the lines with a healthy degree of skepticism.
That’s why I ignore cable and network news. I stick to a couple of trustworthy wire/Internet services and Reason.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:12 am
kalm wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:51 am

That’s why I ignore cable and network news. I stick to a couple of trustworthy wire/Internet services and Reason.
Same.

Though there are a few writers on Reason that remind me of JSO in the mental gymnastics they go through to blame Trump and give Biden a pass.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:02 pm

Same.

Though there are a few writers on Reason that remind me of JSO in the mental gymnastics they go through to blame Trump and give Biden a pass.
I’ve learned that there are both leftish and rightish libertarians, each group with its own priorities.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Same.

Reason is better than many publications but it too requires reading between the lines.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:09 am

Same.

Reason is better than many publications but it too requires reading between the lines.
Less than most, Professor Sanskrit. Why don’t you name your ideal, perfectly transparent news sources?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:16 am
kalm wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:09 am

Less than most, Professor Sanskrit. Why don’t you name your ideal, perfectly transparent news sources?

No problem, Right Reverend Ivyteabag,

There are none. And that’s ok. It’s up to me to apply critical thinking and be skeptical. I’ve learned quite a bit of that here.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:04 pm

Same.

I’ve learned that there are both leftish and rightish libertarians, each group with its own priorities.
Aside from Reason, where else do you get news? The Bulwark?! :lol:
Spoiler: show
That's a joke. :kisswink:
I like Reason and have increasingly been going there.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:03 am
Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:04 pm

Aside from Reason, where else do you get news? The Bulwark?! :lol:
Spoiler: show
That's a joke. :kisswink:
I like Reason and have increasingly been going there.
The Conservative Treehouse!
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Not really a gaffe but it should be interesting ...

Scoop: The most dangerous Trump exposé
Stephanie Grisham has quietly written a top-secret memoir of her four years in Donald Trump's White House, and a publishing source says she'll reveal "surprising new scandals."
Why it matters: Grisham is the only person to have served as a top aide to both President Trump (White House press secretary and communications director) and first lady Melania Trump (chief of staff).
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:33 am
Well he’s basically a donk now, so of course she’d like him. :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:51 am
Well he’s basically a donk now, so of course she’d like him. :lol:
I'm not a huge fan but he's not a donk. He is an adult and a two-time winner of Presidential elections.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

I prefer presidents that don't get us into unnecessary wars.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Coming from tbe woman who is going to be only the 2nd WY Rep to lose their primary in 54 elections….
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:19 am
Coming from tbe woman who is going to be only the 2nd WY Rep to lose their primary in 54 elections….
That says more about the Republican Party than Liz Cheney or Bush.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:29 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:19 am
Yeah it says the Rep Party in WY isn’t going to elect a donk masquerading as a conk.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:32 am
kalm wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:29 am

Yeah it says the Rep Party in WY isn’t going to elect a donk masquerading as a conk.
Nah. GQP has shifted so far to the right at this point that they're a legit threat to our democracy.

Dems have their progressive wing, but for the most part it's a center-left if not a center party (or even center-right at times). They have internal struggles, debates, openly question each other, etc. I may disagree with many of their policies, but there's no test of loyalty.

The GQP is loyal to Trumpism only, not the nation. Yesterday Trump told people the Arizona audit shows he won and they cheered. The first thing about being in a cult is you don't think you're in one and I think Carl Sagan sums it up perfectly:

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: if we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back."

Look at JSO. I remember having healthy liberal-conservative debates with him for 10+ years now. Dude hasn't changed one bit, yet some of you have become so enamored with Trumpism that JSO - one of the most conservative of conservatives on this site - is now considered a donk because he calls out Trump's dumbassery and authoritarianism. At this point I'm waiting for the suicides when Trump finally croaks.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.