kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:11 am
SDHornet wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:45 pm Amazing this made it into the Fauci PBS documentary.

Fauci pulls a lets go into the hood (Anacostia in DC) stunt and gets destroyed. :lol: Give that resident a medal. :nod:
I watched a minute. At what point does the Fauci “gets destroyed” part happen?
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Yeah I don't get where he gets destroyed. Looks like adults having a conversation in the midst of the pandemic (gathering from the clues when Fauci said 600K dead). One adult is skeptical and the others are trying to convince him otherwise.

If anything, I think Fauci comes off positively. He's going into a historically poor and under-served community trying to spread the word. Of course not 100% of them are going to be on board, especially considering the history of medical testing on black communities.

But how many did he convince to get vaccinated that day? Possibly saving their lives and reducing community spread?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:05 am Yeah I don't get where he gets destroyed. Looks like adults having a conversation in the midst of the pandemic (gathering from the clues when Fauci said 600K dead). One adult is skeptical and the others are trying to convince him otherwise.

If anything, I think Fauci comes off positively. He's going into a historically poor and under-served community trying to spread the word. Of course not 100% of them are going to be on board, especially considering the history of medical testing on black communities.

But how many did he convince to get vaccinated that day? Possibly saving their lives and reducing community spread?
I'd agree that Fraudci didn't get destroyed in that one.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:59 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:05 am Yeah I don't get where he gets destroyed. Looks like adults having a conversation in the midst of the pandemic (gathering from the clues when Fauci said 600K dead). One adult is skeptical and the others are trying to convince him otherwise.

I'd agree that Fraudci didn't get destroyed in that one.
I would also agree. At best he is shown to be a hypocrite.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

10 Facts About the Origin of SARS-CoV-2 Everyone Needs to Know

Dr. Richard Ebright, a prominent molecular biologist and professor at Rutgers University, has been a consistent voice of reason since the coronavirus pandemic began (and even longer, judging by this 2004 article about him). In March 2020 he co-authored a letter in The Lancet urging “an objective, open, and transparent scientific debate about the origin of SARS-CoV-2,” arguing that there was “no scientifically validated evidence that directly supports a natural origin.” More recently, Ebright was part of a panel testifying before Congress in August 2022 about gain of function research and (lack of) oversight in a hearing led by Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY).

…nine facts about the origin of SARS-CoV-2 that everyone needs to know,”…

1) SARS-CoV-2 is related to bat SARS-like coronaviruses from southern China and northern Laos.

2) SARS-CoV-2 entered humans in or near Wuhan in August-November 2019.

3) SARS-CoV-2 entered humans either through a natural accident (just as in the first entry of the original SARS coronavirus into humans, which occurred through natural spillover in rural Guangdong province in 2002) or through a research accident (just as in the second third, fourth, and fifth entries of the original SARS coronavirus into humans, which occurred through a lab accident in Singapore in 2003, a lab accident in Taipei in 2003, and two separate lab accidents in Beijing in 2004)

4) Wuhan is located 1,000 km from the nearest wild bats with SARS-CoV-2-like coronaviruses.

5) Wuhan has labs that, at the start of the pandemic, conducted the world’s largest research program on bat SARS-like coronaviruses, possessed the world’s largest collection of bat SARS-like coronaviruses, and possessed the world’s only sample of a SARS-CoV-2-like coronavirus.

6) In 2016-2018, the Wuhan Institute of Virology constructed a series of novel chimeric SARS-like coronaviruses that combined the spike gene of one bat SARS-like coronavirus with the rest of the genetic information of another bat SARS-like coronavirus and identified viruses that were able to infect and replicate efficiently in human airway cells and that had 10,000x enhanced viral growth and 4x enhanced lethality in mice engineered to display human receptors on cells. In other words, in the years before the start of the pandemic, the Wuhan Institute of Virology had taken most of the steps needed to convert a natural bat SARS-like coronavirus to a novel human pandemic pathogen having the properties of SARS-CoV-2.

RedState’s Scott Hounsell was the first to report on the creation of those viruses, in May 2021, linking to the actual studies themselves and to the grant documents funding said research months before The Intercept reported on them.

7) In 2018, the Wuhan Institute of Virology and its collaborators proposed to construct an expanded series of novel chimeric SARS-like coronaviruses, this time using newly identified spike genes having affinities for human receptors that ranged from very low to very high; and proposed to insert furin cleavage sites — a feature that is present in SARS-CoV-2 but not in any of the hundreds of other known SARS-like coronaviruses and that is crucial for the high transmissibility of SARS-CoV-2 — into SARS-like coronaviruses.

8) In 2016-2019, the Wuhan Institute of Virology constructed and characterized SARS-like coronaviruses at biosafety level 2, a level inadequate for work with enhanced potential pandemic pathogens and inadequate to contain a virus having the transmissibility of SARS-CoV-2.

9) From the start of the pandemic, the Wuhan Institute of Virology and its collaborators have withheld information, misrepresented facts, and obstructed investigation…even though, if not connected to origin, they most easily could have cleared their names through cooperation.

10) A preponderance of evidence, including both the scientific evidence (facts 1-3) and the documentary evidence (facts 4-9), indicates that SARS-CoV-2 likely entered humans through a laboratory accident.
https://redstate.com/jenvanlaar/2023/03 ... ow-n721111
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:44 am

Dr. Richard Ebright, a prominent molecular biologist and professor at Rutgers University, has been a consistent voice of reason since the coronavirus pandemic began (and even longer, judging by this 2004 article about him). In March 2020 he co-authored a letter in The Lancet urging “an objective, open, and transparent scientific debate about the origin of SARS-CoV-2,” arguing that there was “no scientifically validated evidence that directly supports a natural origin.” More recently, Ebright was part of a panel testifying before Congress in August 2022 about gain of function research and (lack of) oversight in a hearing led by Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY).

1) SARS-CoV-2 is related to bat SARS-like coronaviruses from southern China and northern Laos.

3) SARS-CoV-2 entered humans either through a natural accident (just as in the first entry of the original SARS coronavirus into humans, which occurred through natural spillover in rural Guangdong province in 2002) or through a research accident (just as in the second third, fourth, and fifth entries of the original SARS coronavirus into humans, which occurred through a lab accident in Singapore in 2003, a lab accident in Taipei in 2003, and two separate lab accidents in Beijing in 2004)

4) Wuhan is located 1,000 km from the nearest wild bats with SARS-CoV-2-like coronaviruses.

5) Wuhan has labs that, at the start of the pandemic, conducted the world’s largest research program on bat SARS-like coronaviruses, possessed the world’s largest collection of bat SARS-like coronaviruses, and possessed the world’s only sample of a SARS-CoV-2-like coronavirus.

6) In 2016-2018, the Wuhan Institute of Virology constructed a series of novel chimeric SARS-like coronaviruses that combined the spike gene of one bat SARS-like coronavirus with the rest of the genetic information of another bat SARS-like coronavirus and identified viruses that were able to infect and replicate efficiently in human airway cells and that had 10,000x enhanced viral growth and 4x enhanced lethality in mice engineered to display human receptors on cells. In other words, in the years before the start of the pandemic, the Wuhan Institute of Virology had taken most of the steps needed to convert a natural bat SARS-like coronavirus to a novel human pandemic pathogen having the properties of SARS-CoV-2.

RedState’s Scott Hounsell was the first to report on the creation of those viruses, in May 2021, linking to the actual studies themselves and to the grant documents funding said research months before The Intercept reported on them.

7) In 2018, the Wuhan Institute of Virology and its collaborators proposed to construct an expanded series of novel chimeric SARS-like coronaviruses, this time using newly identified spike genes having affinities for human receptors that ranged from very low to very high; and proposed to insert furin cleavage sites — a feature that is present in SARS-CoV-2 but not in any of the hundreds of other known SARS-like coronaviruses and that is crucial for the high transmissibility of SARS-CoV-2 — into SARS-like coronaviruses.

8) In 2016-2019, the Wuhan Institute of Virology constructed and characterized SARS-like coronaviruses at biosafety level 2, a level inadequate for work with enhanced potential pandemic pathogens and inadequate to contain a virus having the transmissibility of SARS-CoV-2.

9) From the start of the pandemic, the Wuhan Institute of Virology and its collaborators have withheld information, misrepresented facts, and obstructed investigation…even though, if not connected to origin, they most easily could have cleared their names through cooperation.

10) A preponderance of evidence, including both the scientific evidence (facts 1-3) and the documentary evidence (facts 4-9), indicates that SARS-CoV-2 likely entered humans through a laboratory accident.
This is an uphill battle. Convincing Americans that the US farmed this research out to China and it escaped the lab. I've said it before. Arguing virology/epidemiology with the general public is as futile as asking me about stock investments. Just not savvy on the topic.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Hit our house again. Wife has it for a 2nd time since November. On Paxlovid right now. Hit her pretty hard. 2 year old Granddaughter and her dad are getting over it. I haven't had symptoms.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:01 am Hit our house again. Wife has it for a 2nd time since November. On Paxlovid right now. Hit her pretty hard. 2 year old Granddaughter and her dad are getting over it. I haven't had symptoms.
Speedy recovery to you all, Gil!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:01 am Hit our house again. Wife has it for a 2nd time since November. On Paxlovid right now. Hit her pretty hard. 2 year old Granddaughter and her dad are getting over it. I haven't had symptoms.
We only had it once, and only me, the wife, and one kid actually tested positive. Tried the Paxlovid and stopped after just one dose, my wife stopped after a day. Felt 10x worse on that than what otherwise was a mild COVID infection.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:51 am
Speedy recovery to you all, Gil!
Thanks
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:54 am
We only had it once, and only me, the wife, and one kid actually tested positive. Tried the Paxlovid and stopped after just one dose, my wife stopped after a day. Felt 10x worse on that than what otherwise was a mild COVID infection.
I've heard good and bad about Paxlovid. It worked great for us the first time. Covid hits my wife hard each time, and it helps with her symptoms.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Yes, it was never about the money! I keep telling you guys that you should see doctors when money is involved. I've seen the greed and insults.

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:44 am

This happens a lot. People will find some outlier who has credentials but is out of the mainstream with respect to opinion within the field involved and tout his outlook because it's consistent with what they want to believe. The mainstream scientific opinion on this is reflected by this statement from the paper at https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abp8715:
Several lines of evidence support the hypothesis that the Huanan market was the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic and that SARS-CoV-2 emerged from activities associated with the live wildlife trade there.
Here is a good article about the situation, with focus on the fact that some intelligence agencies suspect a lab leak:

A quote:
But at the end of the day, the origin of the pandemic is also a scientific question. Virologists who study pandemic origins are much less divided than the U.S. intelligence community. They say there is "very convincing" data and "overwhelming evidence" pointing to an animal origin.

In particular, scientists published two extensive, peer-reviewed papers in Science in July 2022, offering the strongest evidence to date that the COVID-19 pandemic originated in animals at a market in Wuhan, China. Specifically, they conclude that the coronavirus most likely jumped from a caged wild animal into people at the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market, where a huge COVID-19 outbreak began in December 2019.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:45 pm Amazing this made it into the Fauci PBS documentary.

What that video shows is the kind of ignorance public health officials had to deal with while trying to get the pandemic under control. The guy they are talking to keep parroting talking points that are very recognizable as among those flying around as misinformation on the internet.
Could I ever be a star?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:18 pm

What that video shows is the kind of ignorance public health officials had to deal with while trying to get the pandemic under control. The guy they are talking to keep parroting talking points that are very recognizable as among those flying around as misinformation on the internet.
:lol: Yes. Exactly like when what's her face says she can't spread the virus after being vaccinated or everyone acting like the 20 year period was a good thing.

Also, you didn't address his concerns, you tried to dismiss them with an ad hominem and an appeal to authority as your proof. Weak as hell.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Nice to see some common sense these days.
In principle, no COVID-19 vaccination is recommended for spring/summer 2023. Nearly everyone in Switzerland has been vaccinated and/or contracted and recovered from COVID-19. Their immune system has therefore been exposed to the coronavirus. In spring/summer 2023, the virus will likely circulate less. The current virus variants also cause rather mild illness. For autumn 2023, the vaccination recommendation will be evaluated again and adjusted accordingly.
In principle, it is also not currently recommended for people at especially high risk to receive a COVID-19 vaccination. They can, however, receive a vaccination following an individual consultation with their doctor. Vaccination may be wise in individual cases, as it improves protection against developing severe COVID-19 for several months. This applies regardless of the number of vaccinations you have already received.

People at especially high risk include:

People aged 65 or over
People aged 16 or over with a chronic condition
People aged 16 or over with Down’s syndrome
Pregnant women

If a wave of infection were to emerge in spring/summer 2023, the vaccination recommendation would be adjusted.
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/kr ... mpfen.html
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:07 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:18 pm

:lol: Yes. Exactly like when what's her face says she can't spread the virus after being vaccinated or everyone acting like the 20 year period was a good thing.

Also, you didn't address his concerns, you tried to dismiss them with an ad hominem and an appeal to authority as your proof. Weak as hell.
She didn't say she can't spread the virus after being vaccinated. His concern was that he perceived the vaccine as being developed over a short time frame. As Fauci tried to get him to understand, the technology behind it was developed over a long time frame. Also, there is nothing wrong with appeal to authority in this case. The overwhelming consensus among people qualified to opine on the subject is that the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines are safe and effective.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:54 am
The evidence for Paxlovid reducing the risk of severe consequences is very strong. See https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2118542. When you see something published in the New England Journal of Medicine, you know it is a journal that has as much credibility as a journal can get. And the results are striking.
...the incidence was 0.77% (3 of 389 patients) in the nirmatrelvir group, with 0 deaths, as compared with 7.01% (27 of 385 patients) in the placebo group, with 7 deaths. Efficacy was maintained in the final analysis involving the 1379 patients in the modified intention-to-treat population, with a difference of −5.81 percentage points (95% CI, −7.78 to −3.84; P<0.001; relative risk reduction, 88.9%). All 13 deaths occurred in the placebo group.
When you see that 3 of 389 vs. 27 of 385, note that there is only about one chance in 291,545 that could happen due to random chance. And, since you are looking at a controlled, randomized experiment, the two possible options are cause and effect and random chance.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:33 pm
This is an uphill battle. Convincing Americans that the US farmed this research out to China and it escaped the lab. I've said it before. Arguing virology/epidemiology with the general public is as futile as asking me about stock investments. Just not savvy on the topic.
I don't know how hard it is to convince Americans of that but you need to ask yourself why you can't convince the overwhelming majority of people in scientific disciplines related to the topic of it. The consensus of virologists, epidemiologists, and molecular biologists is that what you apparently want to convince people of is not true.
Could I ever be a star?

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:36 pm

She didn't say she can't spread the virus after being vaccinated. His concern was that he perceived the vaccine as being developed over a short time frame. As Fauci tried to get him to understand, the technology behind it was developed over a long time frame. Also, there is nothing wrong with appeal to authority in this case. The overwhelming consensus among people qualified to opine on the subject is that the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines are safe and effective.
Immunity from having covid is about 3 months. My wife got covid the second time, 3 months after her first bout. 2nd time was worse, lasted a month. The vaccine immunity is about the same, 3-4 months. That is why they offer boosters. This is just oersonal experience, but any one that says covid immunity from having covid is better than the vax, I'm not listening to.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:02 am

Immunity from having covid is about 3 months. My wife got covid the second time, 3 months after her first bout. 2nd time was worse, lasted a month. The vaccine immunity is about the same, 3-4 months. That is why they offer boosters. This is just oersonal experience, but any one that says covid immunity from having covid is better than the vax, I'm not listening to.
Your experience illustrates why it isn‘t a vaccine. What other vaccine out there can you get 4, 5, 6 shots and still get a few months later what you‘re supposedly getting vaccinated from? None that I‘m aware of.

The Covid shot is more akin to the flu shot. The flu shot MIGHT keep you from getting the flu for a few months, or if you get it, it MIGHT keep you from getting it as bad. Certainly won‘t stop you from spreading it.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:52 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:02 am

Your experience illustrates why it isn‘t a vaccine. What other vaccine out there can you get 4, 5, 6 shots and still get a few months later what you‘re supposedly getting vaccinated from? None that I‘m aware of.

The Covid shot is more akin to the flu shot. The flu shot MIGHT keep you from getting the flu for a few months, or if you get it, it MIGHT keep you from getting it as bad. Certainly won‘t stop you from spreading it.
Huh?

Any reduction in infection (“keep you from getting the flu for a few months”) not to mention reduction in symptoms (less coughing = less airborne particles) reduces spread.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:57 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:33 pm

I don't know how hard it is to convince Americans of that but you need to ask yourself why you can't convince the overwhelming majority of people in scientific disciplines related to the topic of it. The consensus of virologists, epidemiologists, and molecular biologists is that what you apparently want to convince people of is not true.
:lol: Because they get their funding from NIH. Pretty easy to spot what's going on. You ever work in a lab that gets government funding for research. I have and if you don't toe the line, good luck getting more funding.

See the exact same thing with climate change.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

The issue is that you don't have the science backing to make such claims. You use it as a blanket excuse and usually don't understand what you are talking about. I've exposed you multiple times on this topic. Posting fact checks that don't pertain to the topic or just lack of knowledge in general.