Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by SeattleGriz »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:40 am
kalm wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:01 am

I think it’s had an effect just noticing the kids around me.
I cannot quantify what I have seen, as I am not around kids that often, but talking to co-workers about their kids and activities, they have seen a drastic change. I know several that are either changing schools (i.e moving in some cases) or homeschooling due to a variety of reasons but COVID policies is one of the key reasons they mention. One coworkers kid (entered first grade in 2020) has had a hard time grasping lessons and understanding school. Parents have had to put in more work than they did with their other two kids at that age. And he is not the only one struggling in his class according to his teacher.
I can't say my kids are any worse, even though we lived in a heavily masked area. Thankfully, most parents weren't too nuts and my kids still did stuff with their friends in a face to face environment. Outside of that, they communicated via games or social media. We had a surprising amount of kids coming over during the pandemic.

I live in the land of Microsoft, Google and Meta.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Work has lifted the mask mandate, after just basically a week or two implementing masks again. Apparently the county just barely dipped into the "high" category by having 10.2 new COVID admissions versus the target of 10.0 and being just over the 200 per 100k limit for cases. Just dipped under the 200 per 100k mark so having 12 new COVID admissions didn't matter anymore. % Staffed beds have always been insanely low so never really a concern about impact on the health care system, but that's really just a flaw in the CDC method of assigning categories.

We did have an operator who came back from a trip to find he needed to wear masks at work and he couldn't understand how we don't wear masks anywhere now, including the plane he came in on, but he had to wear one here every shift when there's such a small number of people at work here. Another operator having to wear a mask in a pseudo-clean room also questioned it. Basically works by himself or with one other person in a room about the size of 2-3 classrooms, and the room has significant HEPA filtration and air turnovers - basically exactly where you'd want to work to avoid respiratory viruses.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

You'd have thought I wrote the article. Everything I've been saying. Inhaled and contains as much of the virus, especially the parts that don't mutate, as possible.
Inhaled vaccine for COVID-19: The pandemic accelerated decades of research leading to jab-free vaccine now in human testing
https://theconversation-com.cdn.ampproj ... ing-181772

On a separate note (link below) notice the shifting narrative in other articles about herd immunity. As the vaccines failed, those who expected it (wrongly) to protect them forever, are catching COVID. Gotta come up with a good excuse for all those pissed off people who got 3-4 jabs and still caught Covid. So they now are saying herd immunity won't work...but we can solve it with more vaccines. Conspicuously left out is the discussion of naturally derived immunity which has always been the goal.

For the record, I don't blame the vaccines. They are simply a product. The blame lies with our public health officials overselling EVERYTHING they said was going to work.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/youre-wai ... d=84910302
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Huh.

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/328529
A new study by Israeli researchers and published in Nature has revealed an increase of over 25 percent in cardiovascular-related emergency calls in the young-adult population, following the rollout of COVID vaccines, among both males and females. No similar increase was found due to COVID infection alone.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

So, a week in and I'm starting to feel much better. I still have some body aches and the occasional shortness of breath but aside from that, i'm on the up and up.

Oh..and i lost about 10 pounds. I haven't been this close to 180lbs in nearly 10 years
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:48 am So, a week in and I'm starting to feel much better. I still have some body aches and the occasional shortness of breath but aside from that, i'm on the up and up.

Oh..and i lost about 10 pounds. I haven't been this close to 180lbs in nearly 10 years
Good to hear. Did your doctor give you any advice on how to treat, or did you tough it out at home?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:09 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:48 am So, a week in and I'm starting to feel much better. I still have some body aches and the occasional shortness of breath but aside from that, i'm on the up and up.

Good to hear. Did your doctor give you any advice on how to treat, or did you tough it out at home?
Toughed it out at home. MrsCCU actually got the anti-viral but had a violent reaction about 10 minutes after taking the first dose and discontinued use. I took DayQuil and NyQuil while drinking plenty of fluids - treated it like a normal cold.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:02 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:09 am

Toughed it out at home. MrsCCU actually got the anti-viral but had a violent reaction about 10 minutes after taking the first dose and discontinued use. I took DayQuil and NyQuil while drinking plenty of fluids - treated it like a normal cold.
Well, as stated. Glad to hear you're on the mend. Sorry your wife didn't handle the anti-viral well, but good it got offered to her.

Congratulations on the weight loss!
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:34 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:02 am

Well, as stated. Glad to hear you're on the mend. Sorry your wife didn't handle the anti-viral well, but good it got offered to her.

Right? Now i have to figure out how to keep it off. I tried going for a walk this morning but about 2 miles from the house I began to get short of breath. :lol: I might've overdone it...2 miles is nothing
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:50 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:34 am

Right? Now i have to figure out how to keep it off. I tried going for a walk this morning but about 2 miles from the house I began to get short of breath. :lol: I might've overdone it...2 miles is nothing
Portion control
Stop frozen foods
Stop fast food
Stop sodas
Stop restaurant food

All with minor exceptions. I’ve lost 56 pounds that way, Mark. Gotta eliminate processed sugar, preservatives, the massive amounts of salt used in frozen foods, and the creams and sauces they use in restaurants (which are loaded with sugar, salt and butter).
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:20 am

Portion control
Stop frozen foods
Stop fast food
Stop sodas
Stop restaurant food

All with minor exceptions. I’ve lost 56 pounds that way, Mark. Gotta eliminate processed sugar, preservatives, the massive amounts of salt used in frozen foods, and the creams and sauces they use in restaurants (which are loaded with sugar, salt and butter).
:nod:

And, as they say, shop the outside aisles of your grocery store.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Portion control
Stop frozen foods
Stop fast food
Stop sodas
Stop restaurant food

:thumb: You're right - especially on the restaurants. And I've been on that path. Soda is my biggest challenge. I've cut most booze out of my diet and have always eaten a more vegetable/seafood based diet than anything else. Fast food is a killer though - it's a true addiction. I really need to step up my exercise game. My saving grace is that I don't like salty foods or sweets. The soda gets me...i try to break it with sparkling water and it'll work for a while but I eventually fall off the wagon. I'm about to be at the beach for a week and already have cases of La Croix ready to go...that'll satisfy the cravings.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:35 am

Portion control
Stop frozen foods
Stop fast food
Stop sodas
Stop restaurant food

:thumb: You're right - especially on the restaurants. And I've been on that path. Soda is my biggest challenge. I've cut most booze out of my diet and have always eaten a more vegetable/seafood based diet than anything else. Fast food is a killer though - it's a true addiction. I really need to step up my exercise game. My saving grace is that I don't like salty foods or sweets. The soda gets me...i try to break it with sparkling water and it'll work for a while but I eventually fall off the wagon. I'm about to be at the beach for a week and already have cases of La Croix ready to go...that'll satisfy the cravings.
Have you tried unsweetened iced tea? I did that when I went Keto and have been on that ever since. And I was a guy drinking 1-3 cans of soda a day prior to that and now I can't remember drinking a soda. The iced tea was great in Keto - zero calories, zero carbs. I guess there's still the caffeine side of it, but after all those years of soda drinking I'm pretty much immune to effects of caffeine.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Portion control
Stop frozen foods
Stop fast food
Stop sodas
Stop restaurant food

Try some Zevia soda. It's sweetened with Stevia and costs an arm and a leg compared to regular pop! That'll help you not buy so much. :lol: They've got a ton of different varieties and pretty much the only thing we use around here. We started using it because Dean cannot swallow pills, so we had to put his meds in juice or pop and this way he doesn't get the calories or sugar.

It may not be a total replacement, but hopefully sweet enough you can kick regular pop.
Last edited by SeattleGriz on Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Portion control
Stop frozen foods
Stop fast food
Stop sodas
Stop restaurant food

It was tough for me too….and I fell back into some of my bad habits during the past 10 days of moving efforts….got to the lake Saturday and we’re both back on the wagon. Still losing 1.5-2 lbs a week. I had put back on about 3 lbs during the St. Maarten trip, but that and about 3-4 more were gone pretty quickly with all the physical effort involved in the move. Down to 243.6 this morning, lowest I’ve been in over 25 years. :nod: :nod: :nod:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:53 am
Try some Zevia soda. It's sweetened with Stevia and costs an arm and a leg compared to regular pop! That'll help you not buy so much. :lol: They've got a ton of different varieties.

It may not be a total replacement, but hopefully sweet enough you can kick regular pop.
Isn’t stevia just another replacement for other artificial sweeteners? With the same issues? I’m very uneducated on that crap, other than usually if it’s artificial, it’s bad for you….
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:55 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:53 am

Try some Zevia soda. It's sweetened with Stevia and costs an arm and a leg compared to regular pop! That'll help you not buy so much. :lol: They've got a ton of different varieties.

Isn’t stevia just another replacement for other artificial sweeteners? With the same issues? I’m very uneducated on that crap, other than usually if it’s artificial, it’s bad for you….
Stevia is 100% natural. 200 times sweeter than sugar, but some say it has an odd aftertaste. Naturopaths been recommending it for years as a sweeter.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:56 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:55 am

Stevia is 100% natural. 200 times sweeter than sugar, but some say it has an odd aftertaste. Naturopaths been recommending it for years as a sweeter.
I tried putting stevia in my hot tea (rather than sugar) and never cared for it. It did make it taste different, and just tasted off. But I only drink hot tea like once a day, and even then mostly in the colder months, so I figured two spoons of sugar at that rate and making it taste better was a decent use of real sugar.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:58 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:56 am

I tried putting stevia in my hot tea (rather than sugar) and never cared for it. It did make it taste different, and just tasted off. But I only drink hot tea like once a day, and even then mostly in the colder months, so I figured two spoons of sugar at that rate and making it taste better was a decent use of real sugar.
I think you made a good choice by staying with natural. I haven't followed up on the study in years, but Purdue studied artificial sweeteners in sodas and essentially found out that even though you got less calories with your soda, people would gain those calories back through eating.

The way I had to understand it, and not what was said, was the body knew it was tricked and was going to claw those calories back one way or another and to compensate, people ate more food. Straight up sugar didn't have that issue.

Now I'll have to look if that's still true. :lol:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

https://www.purdue.edu/uns/html4ever/20 ... earch.html
Study: Artificial sweetener may disrupt body's ability to count calories
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Choosing a diet soft drink over a regular, sugar-packed beverage may not be the best way to fight obesity, according to new research from Purdue University. But the researchers said this doesn't mean you should grab a regularly sweetened soft drink instead.
The body's natural ability to regulate food intake and body weight may be weakened when this natural relationship is impaired by artificial sweeteners," said Davidson, an expert in behavioral neuroscience. "Without thinking about it, the body learns that it can use food characteristics such as sweetness and viscosity to gauge its caloric intake. The body may use this information to determine how much food is required to meet its caloric needs."
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:52 am
Have you tried unsweetened iced tea? I did that when I went Keto and have been on that ever since. And I was a guy drinking 1-3 cans of soda a day prior to that and now I can't remember drinking a soda. The iced tea was great in Keto - zero calories, zero carbs. I guess there's still the caffeine side of it, but after all those years of soda drinking I'm pretty much immune to effects of caffeine.
You know, growing up we always had tea in the house. I don't really drink it anymore. I honestly drink water 90% of the time. For me it isn't the caffeine...it's the carbonation. :lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:14 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:58 am

I think you made a good choice by staying with natural. I haven't followed up on the study in years, but Purdue studied artificial sweeteners in sodas and essentially found out that even though you got less calories with your soda, people would gain those calories back through eating.

The way I had to understand it, and not what was said, was the body knew it was tricked and was going to claw those calories back one way or another and to compensate, people ate more food. Straight up sugar didn't have that issue.

Now I'll have to look if that's still true. :lol:
The Keto thing really worked - basically reducing the carbs to almost nothing. Tough tradeoff, as that meant no bread, but amazing what you could still eat since it emphasized proteins and fats. Eggs and bacon for breakfast, yogurt and cheese and nuts for lunch, and then a dinner that could be any meat really and just staying away from anything carbs with the side. Even had a snack every night of dark chocolate (very low in carbs it turns out) and tea (even with the regular sugar). Going heavy on proteins meant I wasn't that hungry during the day even though I was only pulling in 1k-1.5k calories per day. Ended up losing about 30 lbs in 3 months, and a pretty linear loss throughout that time. Even found a milk make out of almonds and cashews that was low in carb and high in protein that tasted like a milkshake. Great find.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:23 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:52 am

You know, growing up we always had tea in the house. I don't really drink it anymore. I honestly drink water 90% of the time. For me it isn't the caffeine...it's the carbonation. :lol:
I thought I would miss the carbonation too, so I went with those flavored seltzers for awhile, but other than the black cherry seltzers, nothing was great to keep having. We didn't have iced tea in the house growing up so it was a pleasant change for me. Once I was a few weeks off carbonation I never looked back.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:54 am
It was tough for me too….and I fell back into some of my bad habits during the past 10 days of moving efforts….got to the lake Saturday and we’re both back on the wagon. Still losing 1.5-2 lbs a week. I had put back on about 3 lbs during the St. Maarten trip, but that and about 3-4 more were gone pretty quickly with all the physical effort involved in the move. Down to 243.6 this morning, lowest I’ve been in over 25 years. :nod: :nod: :nod:
:thumb: great progress buddy. I'm getting myself back on it after this illness. I loved seeing 184 on the scale. I want to chase that feeling. :lol: