Political discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by JohnStOnge »

Without going through a bunch of posts to be sure, I am going to guess that the Cochrane review that was touted as showing that masks don't work was discussed in this topic thread. In that regard, in case you were not yet aware of it, I'm writing to make sure you know that the Cochrane Library issued a statement saying that the "masks don't work" conclusion jumped to by many in the misinformation caucus is not correct. The statement is at https://www.cochrane.org/news/statement ... ses-review.

A quote:
Many commentators have claimed that a recently-updated Cochrane Review shows that 'masks don't work', which is an inaccurate and misleading interpretation.
Here is an article on the situation that includes a quote from the subject review that caught my eye when i looked at the review a few weeks ago: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/202 ... 3kg5WGcNEk

Here is the quote that immediately told me the review did NOT get to the question of whether masks are effective if they are used as recommended:
“The high risk of bias in the trials, variation in outcome measurement, and relatively low adherence with the interventions during the studies hampers drawing firm conclusions,”
The underlined portion brings to mind a pre-COVID-19 study on masking to reduce spread of influenza that I bookmarked. it is at https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/15/2/08-1167_article . Here is a key language from the abstract:
We found that adherence to mask use significantly reduced the risk for ILI-associated infection, but <50% of participants wore masks most of the time. We concluded that household use of face masks is associated with low adherence and is ineffective for controlling seasonal respiratory disease.
Intent-to-treat analysis showed no significant difference in the relative risk of ILI in the mask use groups compared with the control group; however, <50% of those in the mask use groups reported wearing masks most of the time. Adherence to mask use was associated with a significantly reduced risk of ILI-associated infection. We concluded that household use of masks is associated with low adherence and is ineffective in controlling seasonal ILI. If adherence were greater, mask use might reduce transmission during a severe influenza pandemic.
in other words: The problem wasn't that masks didn't work. The problem is that people didn't wear them consistently.

What was needed during the worst part of the COVID-19 situation was a consistent message. We didn't get that. We got a constant drumbeat of
"masks don't work" misinformation.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:07 pm Without going through a bunch of posts to be sure, I am going to guess that the Cochrane review that was touted as showing that masks don't work was discussed in this topic thread. In that regard, in case you were not yet aware of it, I'm writing to make sure you know that the Cochrane Library issued a statement saying that the "masks don't work" conclusion jumped to by many in the misinformation caucus is not correct. The statement is at https://www.cochrane.org/news/statement ... ses-review.

A quote:
Many commentators have claimed that a recently-updated Cochrane Review shows that 'masks don't work', which is an inaccurate and misleading interpretation.
Here is an article on the situation that includes a quote from the subject review that caught my eye when i looked at the review a few weeks ago: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/202 ... 3kg5WGcNEk

Here is the quote that immediately told me the review did NOT get to the question of whether masks are effective if they are used as recommended:
“The high risk of bias in the trials, variation in outcome measurement, and relatively low adherence with the interventions during the studies hampers drawing firm conclusions,”
The underlined portion brings to mind a pre-COVID-19 study on masking to reduce spread of influenza that I bookmarked. it is at https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/15/2/08-1167_article . Here is a key language from the abstract:
We found that adherence to mask use significantly reduced the risk for ILI-associated infection, but <50% of participants wore masks most of the time. We concluded that household use of face masks is associated with low adherence and is ineffective for controlling seasonal respiratory disease.
Intent-to-treat analysis showed no significant difference in the relative risk of ILI in the mask use groups compared with the control group; however, <50% of those in the mask use groups reported wearing masks most of the time. Adherence to mask use was associated with a significantly reduced risk of ILI-associated infection. We concluded that household use of masks is associated with low adherence and is ineffective in controlling seasonal ILI. If adherence were greater, mask use might reduce transmission during a severe influenza pandemic.
in other words: The problem wasn't that masks didn't work. The problem is that people didn't wear them consistently.

What was needed during the worst part of the COVID-19 situation was a consistent message. We didn't get that. We got a constant drumbeat of
You are correct and I never had an issue with masking, nor protecting those at risk. So the Cochrane Review didn't move my needle at all.

The one question I have, and not directly at you, is with all the untold billions of dollars the government spent on COVID, they couldn't find a quality RCT of masking?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

December 2019-February 2020 samples taken from racoon dogs in the Wuhan market are the first animal samples prior to the pandemic to test positive for SARS-CoV-2. We've seen early samples with other animals which were 94%-96% similar, but this is the first to be be SARS-CoV-2:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... ak/673390/

Might finally be possible to track down an origin reservoir in nature.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:00 am

edit: that said, the data IS pretty much all available to the public. But it's usually behind a lot of subscriptions. You can often get it for free - if you know what you're looking for - through your public library. College students typically have access as well.

Of course none of this is easy for the regular person to get.
It is still possible and a great source provided that one understands what one is reading. :thumb:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:03 am
kalm wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:28 am

How about some studies and non-biased reviews you can link to with updated findings. Surely there are some studies?
Not to defend SG, but in this regard, wasn't this kind of brought up when they were debating whether to even release the vaccine for the under-12 crowd? I remember the CDC really debating this as it wasn't an unanimous call to recommend the vaccine to kids, given their relative lack of danger to the virus and the potential risks of the vaccine. We've always known there's some level of risk from the vaccine itself and weighing it versus the benefits has always been the calculus used.
It was and multiple countries that Kalm says we should emulate have greatly restricted the use of COVID vaccines.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:40 pm December 2019-February 2020 samples taken from racoon dogs in the Wuhan market are the first animal samples prior to the pandemic to test positive for SARS-CoV-2. We've seen early samples with other animals which were 94%-96% similar, but this is the first to be be SARS-CoV-2:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... ak/673390/

Might finally be possible to track down an origin reservoir in nature.
Hasn't been peer-reviewed yet so you are all still on the same boat. :nod:

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:13 pm

You are correct and I never had an issue with masking, nor protecting those at risk. So the Cochrane Review didn't move my needle at all.

The one question I have, and not directly at you, is with all the untold billions of dollars the government spent on COVID, they couldn't find a quality RCT of masking?
Now that is a great questions. :coffee:

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:07 pm Without going through a bunch of posts to be sure, I am going to guess that the Cochrane review that was touted as showing that masks don't work was discussed in this topic thread. In that regard, in case you were not yet aware of it, I'm writing to make sure you know that the Cochrane Library issued a statement saying that the "masks don't work" conclusion jumped to by many in the misinformation caucus is not correct. The statement is at https://www.cochrane.org/news/statement ... ses-review.

A quote:

I agree the Cochrene study does not say that masks do not work, but that the data is inconclusive.

Here is the full press release (bold is mine):

It would be accurate to say that the review examined whether interventions to promote mask wearing help to slow the spread of respiratory viruses, and that the results were inconclusive. Given the limitations in the primary evidence, the review is not able to address the question of whether mask-wearing itself reduces people's risk of contracting or spreading respiratory viruses.

The review authors are clear on the limitations in the abstract: 'The high risk of bias in the trials, variation in outcome measurement, and relatively low adherence with the interventions during the studies hampers drawing firm conclusions.' Adherence in this context refers to the number of people who actually wore the provided masks when encouraged to do so as part of the intervention. For example, in the most heavily-weighted trial of interventions to promote community mask wearing, 42.3% of people in the intervention arm wore masks compared to 13.3% of those in the control arm.

The original Plain Language Summary for this review stated that 'We are uncertain whether wearing masks or N95/P2 respirators helps to slow the spread of respiratory viruses based on the studies we assessed.' This wording was open to misinterpretation, for which we apologize. While scientific evidence is never immune to misinterpretation, we take responsibility for not making the wording clearer from the outset. We are engaging with the review authors with the aim of updating the Plain Language Summary and abstract to make clear that the review looked at whether interventions to promote mask wearing help to slow the spread of respiratory viruses.
https://www.cochrane.org/news/statement ... ses-review

Adherence to wearing masks is only part of the issue (like the press release stated), they have to be properly fitted, and of a certain quality.

The time over effectiveness rating must also be looked at. (which goes to my re-world testing push). I can get just about anything to pass in a lab test, doesn't mean outside of that it is going to work.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

The reason I logged in this evening.
Researchers at Stanford University—in partnership with several nonprofits that have received government funding—worked with social media platforms to flag and suppress commentary on COVID vaccines, science, and policy that contradicted public health officials' stances, even when that commentary was true.

This new information comes from yet another Twitter Files entry of screenshotted emails and reports from independent journalist Matt Taibbi that reveals the back and forth between the Stanford-led Virality Project and receptive Twitter executives about policing alleged COVID misinformation on its platform.

Beginning in February 2021, and continuing with regular reports, Virality Project researchers encouraged Twitter to expand its misinformation policies to include true reports of vaccine side effects, criticism of vaccine passport systems for their imposition on rights and freedoms, and even discussion of legitimate scientific research on breakthrough infections on natural immunity.

Researchers with the project explicitly flagged "true content which might promote vaccine hesitancy," including other countries banning certain vaccines because of their health side effects. While individual true stories about negative vaccine side effects were not treated as misinformation or disinformation, they could be labeled "malinformation" if they exaggerated or misled people, said researchers.
https://reason.com/2023/03/17/researche ... formation/

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:03 am The reason I logged in this evening.
Researchers at Stanford University—in partnership with several nonprofits that have received government funding—worked with social media platforms to flag and suppress commentary on COVID vaccines, science, and policy that contradicted public health officials' stances, even when that commentary was true.

This new information comes from yet another Twitter Files entry of screenshotted emails and reports from independent journalist Matt Taibbi that reveals the back and forth between the Stanford-led Virality Project and receptive Twitter executives about policing alleged COVID misinformation on its platform.

Beginning in February 2021, and continuing with regular reports, Virality Project researchers encouraged Twitter to expand its misinformation policies to include true reports of vaccine side effects, criticism of vaccine passport systems for their imposition on rights and freedoms, and even discussion of legitimate scientific research on breakthrough infections on natural immunity.

Researchers with the project explicitly flagged "true content which might promote vaccine hesitancy," including other countries banning certain vaccines because of their health side effects. While individual true stories about negative vaccine side effects were not treated as misinformation or disinformation, they could be labeled "malinformation" if they exaggerated or misled people, said researchers.
Another example of why govt should never be trusted again (or takem with a grain of salt) in regards to any future major alleged health crisis. The info suppression and outright lies are astounding..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Suggests long term immune deficiency issues for those who had it. Some viruses never leave or can have long term effects. EG: Hep, HIV or if you had mono as a teenager you carry Epstein-Barr.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:01 pm Suggests long term immune deficiency issues for those who had it. Some viruses never leave or can have long term effects. EG: Hep, HIV or if you had mono as a teenager you carry Epstein-Barr.

Been seeing this issue with just the vaccine as well. S Protein was always a problem and many that suggested as such were censored.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:53 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:01 pm Suggests long term immune deficiency issues for those who had it. Some viruses never leave or can have long term effects. EG: Hep, HIV or if you had mono as a teenager you carry Epstein-Barr.

Been seeing this issue with just the vaccine as well. S Protein was always a problem and many that suggested as such were censored.
Sure
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:18 pm

Sure
:lol: You're telling me "the vaccine" which so perfectly replicated the virus isn't causing the same issues as catching COVID?

Except instead of catching, you get your body to make a foreign mRNA particle.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:28 pm

Sure
:lol: You're telling me "the vaccine" which so perfectly replicated the virus isn't causing the same issues as catching COVID?

I don’t know. I’m not a virologist or immunologist. I’ll wait for research.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Sure

It didn't replicate the virus. The mRNA tells your body to replicate spike proteins, which memory B cells identify when the virus comes along.

If the virus infects a host cell, it injects its own RNA, the cell eventually bursts, and virions are released to infect more host cells.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

More on the study. Vaccination and avoiding Covid are still showing as superior including post infection vaccinations.

Or that’s just what they WANT you to think. Amirite?
The magnitude and quality of a key immune cell’s response to vaccination with two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine were considerably lower in people with prior SARS-CoV-2 infection compared to people without prior infection, a study has found. In addition, the level of this key immune cell that targets the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein was substantially lower in unvaccinated people with COVID-19 than in vaccinated people who had never been infected. Importantly, people who recover from SARS-CoV-2 infection and then get vaccinated are more protected than people who are unvaccinated. These findings, which suggest that the virus damages an important immune-cell response, were published today in the journal Immunity.

The study was co-funded by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health, and led by Mark M. Davis, Ph.D. Dr. Davis is the director of the Stanford Institute for Immunity, Transplantation and Infection and a professor of microbiology and immunology at Stanford University School of Medicine in Palo Alto, California. He is also a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator.

Dr. Davis and colleagues designed a very sensitive tool to analyze how immune cells called CD4+ T cells and CD8+ T cells respond to SARS-CoV-2 infection and vaccination. These cells coordinate the immune system’s response to the virus and kill other cells that have been infected, helping prevent COVID-19. The tool was designed to identify T cells that target any of dozens of specific regions on the virus’s spike protein as well as some other viral regions. The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine uses parts of the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein to elicit an immune response without causing infection.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-re ... accination
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:08 am

It didn't replicate the virus. The mRNA tells your body to replicate spike proteins, which memory B cells identify when the virus comes along.

If the virus infects a host cell, it injects its own RNA, the cell eventually bursts, and virions are released to infect more host cells.
Yes, that was a typo by me. I meant the s Protein
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:43 pm
SDHornet wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:56 pm

I can't think of a profession that has had such a hit to its credibility than doctors during the China Virus response. The fact that doctors bought in to pedaling a "vaccine" that offers virtually no protection for those at low risk is mind boggling. So glad I didn't follow my doctor's advice when he recommended I get the "vaccine". The look of on his face when I quoted CADPH stats back at him that justified my stance left him speechless and all he was able to do was regurgitate MSM talking points was quite telling...yeah I have a new doctor now.
Trip is studying to be a nurse, and while I can't congratulate him enough, he will change his mind once he is in the profession. Not saying it will be bad, but he'll see how the science is never really settled and he will go off of experience instead of being told what to do. Trip is going to be alright and probably a really great nurse. He's smart, and has a good heart.
I didn't know he's going to be a nurse, that's pretty cool. Tough gig as they are the backbone of the healthcare industry.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:03 am
kalm wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:28 am

How about some studies and non-biased reviews you can link to with updated findings. Surely there are some studies?
Not to defend SG, but in this regard, wasn't this kind of brought up when they were debating whether to even release the vaccine for the under-12 crowd? I remember the CDC really debating this as it wasn't an unanimous call to recommend the vaccine to kids, given their relative lack of danger to the virus and the potential risks of the vaccine. We've always known there's some level of risk from the vaccine itself and weighing it versus the benefits has always been the calculus used.
Yes it was, klammy is just being obtuse. Kids were never at risk of dying from the China Virus, hence why the school shutdowns were a terrible decision. The data told us this 3 months into the pandemic.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:06 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:53 am

Right, so you have no links to scientific studies and research that are well sourced. Just your opinion on what happened and the best measures to take for your own family.

Thank you.
685 pages into this thread and SG's posts have proven more accurate over time. I expect that trend to continue.

Common sense says:
  1. It doesn't provide immunity so it isn't a vaccine, it's a shot.
  2. Testing was rushed so there was no way they could adequately test for the long-term implications of taking the shot.
  3. The potential negative effects of the shot would be magnified for younger people who are still developing and expected to live longer while the benefits are less because they are less at risk.
  4. Asking why the government pushed for younger people to take the shot is a legitimate question that should be asked.
:nod:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:03 am The reason I logged in this evening.

The gig was up when they said the BLM protests/riots in summer of 2020 were ok but anti-lockdown protests were not. Anyone that couldn't see this has no functional brain.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Amazing this made it into the Fauci PBS documentary.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

There are other interesting tid-bits that show up in that documentary. Fauci is unmasked in a car with three other unmasked individuals who then put on a cloth mask when they get out of the car. This is during the time when mask mandates were in effect.
I don't know about you, but I don't trust people who tell me one thing and then go do the opposite. But then I am not Galvin Newman or Obama that I can get away with those things. :coffee:

His own paper that he was one of the authors states this (bolding mine):
Viruses that replicate in the human respiratory mucosa without infecting systemically, including influenza A, SARS-CoV-2, endemic coronaviruses, RSV, and many other “common cold” viruses, cause significant mortality and morbidity and are important public health concerns. Because these viruses generally do not elicit complete and durable protective immunity by themselves, they have not to date been effectively controlled by licensed or experimental vaccines. In this review, we examine challenges that have impeded development of effective mucosal respiratory vaccines, emphasizing that all of these viruses replicate extremely rapidly in the surface epithelium and are quickly transmitted to other hosts, within a narrow window of time before adaptive immune responses are fully marshaled.We discuss possible approaches to developing next-generation vaccines against these viruses, in consideration of several variables such as vaccine antigen configuration, dose and adjuventation, route and timing of vaccination, vaccine boosting, adjunctive therapies, and options for public health vaccination polices.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, the rapid development and deployment of SARS-CoV-2 vaccines has saved innumerable lives and helped to achieve early partial pandemic control.12
However, as variant SARS-CoV-2 strains have emerged, deficiencies in these vaccines reminiscent of influenza vaccines have become apparent. The vaccines for these two very different viruses have common characteristics: they elicit incomplete and short-lived protection against evolving virus variants that escape population immunity.

More than 50 years ago, the development of successful vaccines against some of the most important respiratory viruses, including measles, mumps, and rubella, led to the hope that vaccines could soon be developed for all other respiratory viruses. However, natural infections with these three vaccine-controlled respiratory viruses, as well as smallpox and varicella zoster virus (VZV), are not representative of infections caused by most respiratory viruses. They differ in at least three critically important ways that are related to their successful control with vaccines (Table 1):

(1) after first replicating mucosally, these systemic respiratory viruses all cause significant viremia that seeds an enormous number of infectious virions throughout the body, putting them in contact with multiple immune compartments and immune competent cell types,
(2) they have relatively long incubation periods that reflect initial mucosal replication and the subsequent systemic spread of infectious virions, which allows time for the induction of the full force of adaptive immunity, and
(3) they elicit long-term or lifetime protective immunity (Table 1).
https://www.cell.com/cell-host-microbe/ ... 22)00572-8

Overall a good paper (IMHO) that highlights some of the things that SG has discussed here and the short comings of the COVID shots and why. This was generally known prior to COVID and confirmed by COVID and should have been part of the discourse.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:45 pm Amazing this made it into the Fauci PBS documentary.

Fauci pulls a lets go into the hood (Anacostia in DC) stunt and gets destroyed. :lol: Give that resident a medal. :nod:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.