Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:05 pm I'm over COVID and masks mandates. At this point, you're either vaccinated or you aren't. You either don't understand or don't care enough about public health to take it seriously and/or you're listening to snake oil salesmen tell you can pray it away (and then look the other way when they die of COVID.) Let's get on with our lives and get back to normal.

If the government is going to mandate the vaccine then make it official like all the other government mandated vaccines we have had to deal with since the moment we were all born. It's time to fish or cut bait.

Either way - let's move on to more important things like the Supply Chain and Lindsey Lohan's upcoming nuptials.
Govt can‘t mandate vaccines for the entire population..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:50 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:26 pm

I kinda feel this way too. Everyone's been given the choice if they wanted to vaccinate or not, so at this point, let's move on. As an aside, what government mandated vaccines are there, other than the ones that states (I believe it's a state action) have in place for schools inside their states? Do homeschool kids need to be vaccinated for all of those things? Never thought about it myself, but maybe that's why there are so many homeschoolers, their parents didn't want them to get one or several of the mandated vaccines?

You've got it - there are already government mandated vaccines that we've been dealing with and, up until now, we laughed at the anti-vaxxers. Either add the COVID vaccine to the list or not. Either way - we've had almost 12 months of vaccines. If you haven't gotten it yet, then that's your journey. Good luck. But you're opening yourself up to pain via loss wages, access to benefits, services, etc.... Don't like it - take it up with the businesses requiring it and the government. I bought tix last night for a Foo Fighters concert and I'll have to show proof of vaccination. I can participate in society. :)

RE homeschooling: That's why we homeschooled last year (well, one reason. MrsCCU was pretty much set on homeschooling anyway). It worked out well and LilCCU went into the 1st grade reading at a 2nd grade level and pretty far ahead in terms of math abilities.

Anecdotally -
My family is very conservative. My pro-Trump, MAGA brothers are all for vaccine mandates. Which is surprising.
Spoiler: show
One works in healthcare sales, has a medical background and the other works in Defense. They see it as necessary to safeguard their families and themselves. They also trust science. :)

My brother in law is more middle of the road. He's a partner at an engineering firm and is stressed and livid at those people who either aren't vaccinated OR refuse to sign a waiver b/c it's costing the firm numerous government contracts PLUS it's hurting the company as a whole. I was with him over Thanksgiving and he's about to lose 50 people b/c they won't get vaxxed or sign a waiver accepting the risk (which still makes no sense).
What govt mandated vaccines are you talking about?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:05 pm I'm over COVID and masks mandates. At this point, you're either vaccinated or you aren't. You either don't understand or don't care enough about public health to take it seriously and/or you're listening to snake oil salesmen tell you can pray it away (and then look the other way when they die of COVID.) Let's get on with our lives and get back to normal.

If the government is going to mandate the vaccine then make it official like all the other government mandated vaccines we have had to deal with since the moment we were all born. It's time to fish or cut bait.

Either way - let's move on to more important things like the Supply Chain and Lindsey Lohan's upcoming nuptials.
I kinda feel this way too. Everyone's been given the choice if they wanted to vaccinate or not, so at this point, let's move on. As an aside, what government mandated vaccines are there, other than the ones that states (I believe it's a state action) have in place for schools inside their states? Do homeschool kids need to be vaccinated for all of those things? Never thought about it myself, but maybe that's why there are so many homeschoolers, their parents didn't want them to get one or several of the mandated vaccines?
Yeah I have no idea wtf he is talking about. The school mandated ones are state, and they can only be mandated for kids attending public school. That would only affect about what 20% of the population..

Biden‘s mandates for private employees at companies over 100 and med workers have already been stayed by the courts and he‘s going to ultimately lose both.. As if now, the fed can only mandate fed employees & contractors..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:59 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:58 pm

I don't pay much attention to the political pissing matches, but I see one side supporting a "we are all in this together" and another selecting individual groups for vilification.
I don't see either side supporting a "we are all in this together" approach. Dissenting opinions are not tolerated by either extreme.

Are you going to tell me that Liz Cheney, Adam Kinzinger, Tim Rice, etc. weren't vilified? The right vilifies BLM while ignoring any legitimate grievances they might have just like the left vilifies law enforcement while ignoring the great number of positive things they accomplish.

They are mirror images of each other.
Maybe I missed you were talking solely about elected officials. I'm talking the public in general...like speaking to my neighbor. I could also be where I live that I see the Left as much more intolerant than the right.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:50 pm

You've got it - there are already government mandated vaccines that we've been dealing with and, up until now, we laughed at the anti-vaxxers. Either add the COVID vaccine to the list or not. Either way - we've had almost 12 months of vaccines. If you haven't gotten it yet, then that's your journey. Good luck. But you're opening yourself up to pain via loss wages, access to benefits, services, etc.... Don't like it - take it up with the businesses requiring it and the government. I bought tix last night for a Foo Fighters concert and I'll have to show proof of vaccination. I can participate in society. :)

RE homeschooling: That's why we homeschooled last year (well, one reason. MrsCCU was pretty much set on homeschooling anyway). It worked out well and LilCCU went into the 1st grade reading at a 2nd grade level and pretty far ahead in terms of math abilities.

Anecdotally -
My family is very conservative. My pro-Trump, MAGA brothers are all for vaccine mandates. Which is surprising.
Spoiler: show
One works in healthcare sales, has a medical background and the other works in Defense. They see it as necessary to safeguard their families and themselves. They also trust science. :)

My brother in law is more middle of the road. He's a partner at an engineering firm and is stressed and livid at those people who either aren't vaccinated OR refuse to sign a waiver b/c it's costing the firm numerous government contracts PLUS it's hurting the company as a whole. I was with him over Thanksgiving and he's about to lose 50 people b/c they won't get vaxxed or sign a waiver accepting the risk (which still makes no sense).
Please expand on this "medical background" your brother has.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:01 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:32 pm

He’s talking ‘left’ and ‘right’. You’re talking “extremes”. Those are two different groups, in my mind. Yes, both extremes are pushing purity tests. But in reality, so are mainstream democrats. Whereas, mainstream conservatives do not.
Tell me how Kevin McCarthy isn't enabling faux-conservative extremists like Pelosi enables illiberal extremists.
I don’t know who Kevin McCarthy is. Sorry. But I DO know who the Speaker is….and yes, she’s enabled illiberal extremists with her every move.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:19 pm

Tell me how Kevin McCarthy isn't enabling faux-conservative extremists like Pelosi enables illiberal extremists.
I don’t know who Kevin McCarthy is. Sorry. But I DO know who the Speaker is….and yes, she’s enabled illiberal extremists with her every move.
McCarthy is likely going to be the next Speaker when conks take back control.. He is the current minority leader. Was House Majority Leader under Speakers Boehner and Ryan.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:32 pm

He’s talking ‘left’ and ‘right’. You’re talking “extremes”. Those are two different groups, in my mind. Yes, both extremes are pushing purity tests. But in reality, so are mainstream democrats. Whereas, mainstream conservatives do not.

Mc Carthy is milquetoast compared to Pelosi. McCarthy goes along with sanctioning Reps, while Pelosi won't reel in her own side.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:15 pm
Mc Carthy is milquetoast compared to Pelosi. McCarthy goes along with sanctioning Reps, while Pelosi won't reel in her own side.
We'll see what happens with McCarthy between now and the 2022 and 2024 elections. Does he ignore the whiny bullsh!t from Greene or does he kowtow to her and the other nutjobs? How does he handle being Speaker?

FYI - Illiberals think Pelosi is milquetoast.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:17 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:59 pm
I don't see either side supporting a "we are all in this together" approach. Dissenting opinions are not tolerated by either extreme.

Are you going to tell me that Liz Cheney, Adam Kinzinger, Tim Rice, etc. weren't vilified? The right vilifies BLM while ignoring any legitimate grievances they might have just like the left vilifies law enforcement while ignoring the great number of positive things they accomplish.

They are mirror images of each other.
Maybe I missed you were talking solely about elected officials. I'm talking the public in general...like speaking to my neighbor. I could also be where I live that I see the Left as much more intolerant than the right.
So the "public at large" that stormed the Capitol and other MAGAts that wanted to hang Pence and continue to vilify the Lincoln Project are practicing "we're all in this together"? You're going to have to work a lot harder to convince me that the two extremes aren't two sides of the same coin.

I don't care for the Lincoln Project either but let's not pretend that right-wing extremists are any more inclusive and open to dissenting opinions than their left-wing cousins.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:21 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:17 pm

So the "public at large" that stormed the Capitol and other MAGAts that wanted to hang Pence and continue to vilify the Lincoln Project are practicing "we're all in this together"? You're going to have to work a lot harder to convince me that the two extremes aren't two sides of the same coin.

I don't care for the Lincoln Project either but let's not pretend that right-wing extremists are any more inclusive and open to dissenting opinions than their left-wing cousins.
What "public at large" are you specifically talking about? The random 400 dipshits that milled around the Capital, or the 100 that seemed to be organized out of the 100k in attendance?

In the Russia collusion, Covington Catholic and Rittenhouse verdict vein, I'm going to wait until I see the facts on the Capital storming. Funny how we haven't seen the 1400+ hours of video, or anyone of consequence under oath.

I also never said nutjobs. I specifically mentioned my neighbors as public examples.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:50 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:23 am

Do the passports really have anything to do with covid numbers.
They're supposed to. I thought the idea behind vaccination passports was to keep unvaccinated people out of certain venues, events, social gatherings, etc, where proximity to others over an extended period of time could lead to increased risk of not only just infection in general, but potentially worse outcomes as well.
If the vax stops transmission, then yes, the vax passport would make sense. Since the vax doesn't, then this vax passport is nothing more than a control mechanism for the gubmint.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

He's the House GOP Leader and he is pretty weak...or at least can't get his side to vote in unison like Pelosi does, which means L's for conks.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:33 pm

McCarthy is likely going to be the next Speaker when conks take back control.. He is the current minority leader. Was House Majority Leader under Speakers Boehner and Ryan.
I don't think he gets it, or at least hope he doesn't. He botched quite a bit of stuff, especially the infrastructure vote and can't keep his camp in line. That will result in more embarrassing L's for conks.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:15 pm

We'll see what happens with McCarthy between now and the 2022 and 2024 elections. Does he ignore the whiny bullsh!t from Greene or does he kowtow to her and the other nutjobs? How does he handle being Speaker?

FYI - Illiberals think Pelosi is milquetoast.
McCarthy is too much of a pussy and doesn't play to win. That makes him, generally speaking in this current political climate, a weak leader. GOP will get nothing useful done if he is Speaker.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:33 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:51 pm
:lol: Seriously? They both are. Show me the individualism in the GOP with the hero worship. I'll wait b/c it's not there.

Thinking the Right doesn't try to control the behavior of others is comical.
What’s comical is thinking that they’re in any way similar.
No, what's comical is one party thinking they're the stewards of democracy, freedom and apple pie.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:15 pm

Yeah I have no idea wtf he is talking about. The school mandated ones are state, and they can only be mandated for kids attending public school. That would only affect about what 20% of the population..

Biden‘s mandates for private employees at companies over 100 and med workers have already been stayed by the courts and he‘s going to ultimately lose both.. As if now, the fed can only mandate fed employees & contractors..
You do understand that "government" can be either State or Federal? You just assumed I'm talking about Federal.

Again - either add it to the current list of required vaccines or move along. I'm in the "move along" camp.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:25 am

They're supposed to. I thought the idea behind vaccination passports was to keep unvaccinated people out of certain venues, events, social gatherings, etc, where proximity to others over an extended period of time could lead to increased risk of not only just infection in general, but potentially worse outcomes as well.
If the vax stops transmission, then yes, the vax passport would make sense. Since the vax doesn't, then this vax passport is nothing more than a control mechanism for the gubmint.
Are vaccines supposed to stop transmission? Or are they supposed to protect the host if the disease is detected?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

:lol: McCarthy "goes along" in the sense that he's in the minority and can't do anything about it. But let's not pretend he's sanctioning Gosar, Boebert, Greene for their bullshit or really coming down on them.
House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy broke his silence on Wednesday over the uproar caused by freshman Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's conspiracy theory views, suggesting Republicans would not move to strip her from her committee assignments, effectively forcing Democrats to take action on their own.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/03/politics ... index.html
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:16 am

:lol: McCarthy "goes along" in the sense that he's in the minority and can't do anything about it. But let's not pretend he's sanctioning Gosar, Boebert, Greene for their bullshit or really coming down on them.
House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy broke his silence on Wednesday over the uproar caused by freshman Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's conspiracy theory views, suggesting Republicans would not move to strip her from her committee assignments, effectively forcing Democrats to take action on their own.
CNN is not a news source. You might as well post Yahoo or Reuters.

I'll one up you. Pelosi tried to impeach Trump twice on bullshit charges AND she knew they were both false. She's a master compared to that wussy McCarthy.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:59 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:16 am

CNN is not a news source. You might as well post Yahoo or Reuters.

I'll one up you. Pelosi tried to impeach Trump twice on bullshit charges AND she knew they were both false. She's a master compared to that wussy McCarthy.
And the Conservative Treehouse is? :lol: You're better than that - attack the source and the not information.

Pelosi could teach a master class on corruption. :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:25 am

Yep.. :nod:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:33 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:33 pm
I don't think he gets it, or at least hope he doesn't. He botched quite a bit of stuff, especially the infrastructure vote and can't keep his camp in line. That will result in more embarrassing L's for conks.
Yeah, maybe I’m ASSuming.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:10 am

You do understand that "government" can be either State or Federal? You just assumed I'm talking about Federal.

Again - either add it to the current list of required vaccines or move along. I'm in the "move along" camp.
OK, what state can mandate an entire population get a specific vaccine?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:10 am

What list of required vaccines are you talking about? Agin, we’re not talking kids in school, but an entire population..