AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:43 pm
Winterborn wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:46 am

I can see perfectly what you are doing. And I find it more interesting in who you chose to carry water for, than this topic which in 5-8 years is going to look completely different than what was hysterically reported on by the CDC, media, and other "influential" people. Hint: It already is starting to look different as the political spotlight wanes and actual scientific principles (based on past research) are being applied without the magnifying lens of political "fame".

That said, carry on on with your slap fight with SG. :coffee:
In the light of history this is going to be seen as one of the worst pandemics of the modern era. Maybe THE worst depending on how it ends up comparing to the Spanish Flu. And the anti vax, anti mask, anti public health controls stuff we are dealing with now is going to be seen in a negative light.

There is absolutely no question, none, that the smart thing would be to do what public health officials recommend that you do and that the situation would not be as bad or have been as bad if people had done that instead of listening to right wing nuts.
The science is settled? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Now that I am getting into the field again and having to drive I listen to the dark side some. In this case it's the guys who replaced Rush Limbaugh. They are even worse in terms of misinformation. Today, I once again heard reference to the "Johns Hopkins Study" that is supposed to have shown that lockdowns didn't work.

At this point one would THINK they would know that the study has been widely panned. And it's not a "Johns Hopkins Study." One of the three authors...who are economists and not medical scientists, epidemiologists, or anything like that, is affiliated with Johns Hopkins and he posted it on the Johns Hopkins site.

Here is one rebuttal of it: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/968401?reg=1#vp_1. If you get a log in thing you can log in with Facebook.

Here is a set of others: https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expe ... s-website/

This is ridiculous. The study is by economists. That right there should make any reasonable person take it with a grain of salt. At least with respect to the part about the effect of lockdowns on the disease situation. It's not that they HAVE to be wrong because they are economists. But you have an obvious consensus among public health professionals, epidemiologists, etc., that lockdowns did reduce deaths and ONE working paper by ECONOMISTS comes out and the denialists jump all over it as thought it nixes everything the actual medical scientists, public health professionals, epidemiologists, etc. say.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:49 pm

In the light of history this is going to be seen as one of the worst pandemics of the modern era. Maybe THE worst depending on how it ends up comparing to the Spanish Flu. And the anti vax, anti mask, anti public health controls stuff we are dealing with now is going to be seen in a negative light.

There is absolutely no question, none, that the smart thing would be to do what public health officials recommend that you do and that the situation would not be as bad or have been as bad if people had done that instead of listening to right wing nuts.
The question with respect to listening to public health professionals is settled. Public health professionals will, when the science is NOT settled, take an approach whereby, if they err, they will err on the side of public health. And that is the smart way to do it The science is settled with respect to vaccines. We would be better off if we had 100% vaccination according to the current recommendations. It is settled with respect to masks. If we could get everybody to wear masks transmission would be significantly reduced. It's just a question of whether the threat is high enough at any given time to recommend that.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Wed May 11, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Could I ever be a star?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I know. All I've done is parrot over 100 years of pandemic and respiratory illness knowledge and wisdom, but am now somehow a spreader of misinformation. Good thing we now have a Ministry of Truth!
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:58 pm

The question with respect to listening to public health professionals is settled. Public health professionals will, when the science is NOT settled, take an approach whereby, if they err, they will err on the side of public health. And that is the smart way to do it The science is settled with respect to vaccines. We would be better off if we had 100% vaccination according to the current recommendations. It is settled with respect to masks. If we could get everybody to wear masks transmission would be significantly reduced. It's just a question of whether the threat is high enough at any given time to recommend that.
You're inching closer and closer to zero-COVID as this thread goes on. Is the "St" in the middle of your name pronounced "Xi" by any chance?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

GannonFan wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:07 pm

You're inching closer and closer to zero-COVID as this thread goes on. Is the "St" in the middle of your name pronounced "Xi" by any chance?
The S is silent.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Man are you terrible at trolling. Worse than Houndawg.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:59 pm

I know. All I've done is parrot over 100 years of pandemic and respiratory illness knowledge and wisdom, but am now somehow a spreader of misinformation. Good thing we now have a Ministry of Truth!
You are not parroting the current State of knowledge with respect to those things. I interpret what you are doing as questioning the wisdom of everybody getting vaccinated per current recommendations. If you are not, I misinterpreted you. But, if you are, you are disagreeing with the American Medical Association, the Infectious Diseases Society of America, the CDC, the FDA, the WHO, etc. Basically the consensus of the national and world public health community.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:12 pm

That is not trolling. It is the truth.
Could I ever be a star?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:09 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:59 pm

You are not parroting the current State of knowledge with respect to those things. I interpret what you are doing as questioning the wisdom of everybody getting vaccinated per current recommendations. If you are not, I misinterpreted you. But, if you are, you are disagreeing with the American Medical Association, the Infectious Diseases Society of America, the CDC, the FDA, the WHO, etc. Basically the consensus of the national and world public health community.
Yes. We've seen how well the vaccination, masking and isolation has gone. About the same as those who didn't care.

Your consensus has been proven catastrophically wrong. Went against history and experience.

You're at step 2 of the process. The next step will be switching jerseys. "I was always for targeted isolation and vaccination".
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:11 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:12 pm

That is not trolling. It is the truth.
No

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

No on vaccines - especially ones that require 4 shots and are 12% effective after a week.
No on masks - especially when for YEARS prior to COVID, WHO and CDC both said masks were ineffective at halting/reducing the spread of flu viruses
No on lockdowns - proven to actually INCREASE rates of the virus
No on sending seniors back to nursing homes - they became kill zones

So yes, the science is and has been settled. Just not in the way the politicians chose to weaponize it.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

For him it is.

Good thing people following Archimedes didn't stop questioning things. We could still be thinking that the Earth is flat. :ohno:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:49 pm The science is settled? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
For him it is.

Good thing people following Archimedes didn't stop questioning things. We could still be thinking that the Earth is flat. :ohno:
JSO and Kyrie Irving, birds of a feather. :D

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:48 pm Image
Typical Trump fan…blame bad things on someone else…. :ohno:

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:50 am
SDHornet wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:48 pm Image

Trump: 300k+ deaths with no vaccine.
Biden: 650k+ deaths with a vaccine.
:coffee:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:44 am
kalm wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:50 am

Whoosh!
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:58 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:44 am
Whoosh!
Biden is killing Trump supporters?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:44 pm

Whoosh!
Yes
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:54 pm Now that I am getting into the field again and having to drive I listen to the dark side some. In this case it's the guys who replaced Rush Limbaugh. They are even worse in terms of misinformation. Today, I once again heard reference to the "Johns Hopkins Study" that is supposed to have shown that lockdowns didn't work.

At this point one would THINK they would know that the study has been widely panned. And it's not a "Johns Hopkins Study." One of the three authors...who are economists and not medical scientists, epidemiologists, or anything like that, is affiliated with Johns Hopkins and he posted it on the Johns Hopkins site.

Here is one rebuttal of it: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/968401?reg=1#vp_1. If you get a log in thing you can log in with Facebook.

Here is a set of others: https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expe ... s-website/

This is ridiculous. The study is by economists. That right there should make any reasonable person take it with a grain of salt. At least with respect to the part about the effect of lockdowns on the disease situation. It's not that they HAVE to be wrong because they are economists. But you have an obvious consensus among public health professionals, epidemiologists, etc., that lockdowns did reduce deaths and ONE working paper by ECONOMISTS comes out and the denialists jump all over it as thought it nixes everything the actual medical scientists, public health professionals, epidemiologists, etc. say.

The purpose of economists is to give astrologers credibility.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:44 pm

Whoosh!
They're probably including the people that Hillary has assassinated in the total
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:22 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:09 pm

Yes. We've seen how well the vaccination, masking and isolation has gone. About the same as those who didn't care.

Your consensus has been proven catastrophically wrong. Went against history and experience.

You're at step 2 of the process. The next step will be switching jerseys. "I was always for targeted isolation and vaccination".
Don't get vaccinated. You know your rights - don't let the libtards sucker you into getting injected with Bill Gates' zombie vaccine. :coffee:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:29 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:22 pm

Don't get vaccinated. You know your rights - don't let the libtards sucker you into getting injected with Bill Gates' zombie vaccine. :coffee:
I've stated from the beginning, those at risk and those wanting a shot are free to take as many as they like. I'll wait until it's actually needed, like when I'm older than 65 to get mine.

My body, my choice. Right?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:22 am
houndawg wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:29 am

I've stated from the beginning, those at risk and those wanting a shot are free to take as many as they like. I'll wait until it's actually needed, like when I'm older than 65 to get mine.

My body, my choice. Right?
WTF? Where did you ever get THAT ridiculous concept? :lol: :lol: