GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:02 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:44 pm Pretty sure this parable or similar has been posted here before, but I think it's worth a repost:

As the flood waters rose, a man was on the porch of his house and prayed that God would save him from drowning in the flood. Just then, another man came by in a row boat. The man in the boat invited the other man to get in, and he'd save him. The man on the porch said, "No, thanks, I'm waiting for God to rescue me."

The water kept rising and the man had to go to the second floor of his house. As he looked out the window, he saw a man in a motor boat come by. The man in the boat invited him to get in because he had come to rescue him. The man in the house said, "No, thanks, I'm waiting for God to rescue me."

The waters kept on rising. Soon the man was forced to climb up onto his roof. A helicopter flew by, and a man inside lowered a rope and shouted down for the stranded man to climb up the rope.

But the man still wouldn't get in. He just said, "No, thanks, I'm waiting for God to rescue me."

Well, eventually, the flood waters rose above the house rooftop, and the man drowned. When he got to Heaven, he asked God why He didn't rescue him from drowning when he had had perfect faith.

"What more do you want from me?" asked God. "I sent you two boats and a helicopter."
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

A poster on another message board I frequent (Liberty alum) had the "don't need the vaccine, don't need masks, God will protect me"

Now he is clinging to life in a Virginia hospital, where he has been for a couple months.

SO, maybe GOD sent the vaccine...and the masks. And gave scientists the brains to figure this out.
Science and religion are not incompatible. Maybe to the crazy folks they are, but there are plenty of religious scientists out there, and often they see the divine in the way that science works. :thumb:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:43 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:46 pm
If you do, go small dose and a hybrid to start. Ask the shop help for advice. Edibles can be a whole different ball game from a high standpoint. I don’t care for them.
I wonder if I'll be able to talk to the salmon, beavers, etc. in the Columbia. That would be so cool. Might be worth a shot.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

kalm wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:46 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:33 am

No.
If you do, go small dose and a hybrid to start. Ask the shop help for advice. Edibles can be a whole different ball game from a high standpoint. I don’t care for them.
I've tried edibles twice, got nothing from it either time.

First time was 5 mg because I was given the go small route. Next time i said fuck it and went 20. Felt actual nothing

I've ripped a bong twice - that shit got me quick.

I bought a flower vape but haven't used it yet. The whole looking for a job probably isn't the best time to start smoking thing. I don't even have weed, I have CBD flower with >.3% Delta 9 but there's still no chance I'm going to risk popping positive over god damn CBD.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:32 am Initial studies show that a third dose of Pfizer provides a huge boost of protection against the Delta variant. It wouldn't be too far of a stretch to think the same for Moderna considering they're incredibly similar vaccines (plus heterologous vaccinations have been safe so you can probably mix them...ask your doc first though).
Be interesting to see the ratio of binding to neutralizing antibodies after exposure.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:18 pm Image
Well that’s his cross to bare I guess.
*bear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

After having spent my entire adult life in the Navy, then as a cop, and then as a State Dept diplomat, you can bet your sweet ass that my retirement party is going to look like a motherfucking Cheech & Chong movie

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:06 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:21 pm
:jack:
You don’t consider yourself alt-right?
What is alt-right?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:45 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:13 am
Here’s a little secret..
I got the (Pfizer) vaccine
Wow. I'm honestly surprised. You were all "young and healthy people shouldn't take an experimental drug." What changed (or caused you to go the jab?)
-I was referring to teens and 20s.
-I’m not that young (mid 40s) but am pretty healthy.
-Got leaned on heavily by mom, sister and long term gf about getting it, so I threw up the white flag and got it.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:49 pm

Wow. I'm honestly surprised. You were all "young and healthy people shouldn't take an experimental drug." What changed (or caused you to go the jab?)
-Got leaned on heavily by mom, sister and long term gf about getting it, so I threw up the white flag and got it.
AZ fell for ass as well.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:29 pm
kalm wrote:
Well that’s his cross to bare I guess.
*bear

Damn...I almost made a funny too. :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:48 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:06 pm

You don’t consider yourself alt-right?
What is alt-right?
Don’t be coy. It’s beneath you... :ohno:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Pussywhipped! :tothehand:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

HEY! I'm almost 40. Quit it with that "not that young" crap! :D :D

GOOD! I'm glad you listened to them. The benefits far outweigh the risks. Public Health over Politics.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:02 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:48 pm
What is alt-right?
Give me your definition (because I don’t see an agreed upon one).
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:47 am
kalm wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:02 pm

Give me your definition (because I don’t see an agreed upon one).

alt-right
/ˌôltˈrīt/
noun
(in the US) a right-wing ideological movement characterized by a rejection of mainstream politics and by the use of online media to disseminate provocative content, often expressing opposition to racial, religious, or gender equality.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:58 am
andy7171 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:40 am

I think the point was if and when the government deems a third dose is needed, he's the first in line. Actually, he's camping out in preparation for it. Full and complete trust in our elected officials, is he.
I just read it differently. But hey, if they say a third dose is needed, then I'm getting it as soon as I can as well. I drove more than an hour to get my first doses (I could've waited two weeks and then gotten it at any of the 15 local pharmacies, but I didn't know it was going to be that way). And at this point, I'm fine with saying that if you're vaccinated, go about however you want (wear a mask, don't wear a mask, up to you) and if you aren't vaccinated then wearing a mask is up to you but you should be COVID tested once a week at your job or your school and if you need to quarantine then you do so without pay or other accommodations. Exceptions would be the kids under 12 since they can't get the shot yet - I don't see how you can have them in school without masks at this point. But I'm all in favor of making it really burdensome to not have a vaccination, short of actually requiring someone to get vaccinated.

On another note, what's holding up making Pfizer and Moderna fully approved (rather than just emergency use) at this point? It's been 7-8 months since the emergency authorization was given. We're not moving fast enough to remove this made up excuse to not get a vaccine. Fully approve it already, and approve it for the under 12 set as well. Government has a part to play here and while Biden's busy calling people stupid we could be fast tracking this thing much more than we are.
What are you going to do when all the unvaccinated say screw it and stay home. How many truck drivers, grocery workers, etc. stay home and the economy grinds to a halt?
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Columnist Bill Galston cited Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905), in support of his argument that the federal government may enforce compulsory COVID vaccines. In that case, involving the smallpox vaccine, Justice John Marshall Harlan ruled that a compulsory vaccine ( and fines for noncompliance) was a legitimate exercise of police power to safeguard public health, and he rejected a libertarian due process claim for deprivation of personal liberty, on the ground that people cannot act with respect to their bodies in a way that threatens the well-being of others. Actually, that caveat is well established in the Libertarian Party Statement of Principles.

We’ll see whether that precedent holds up, 116 years later.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:09 am Columnist Bill Galston cited Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905), in support of his argument that the federal government may enforce compulsory COVID vaccines. In that case, involving the smallpox vaccine, Justice John Marshall Harlan ruled that a compulsory vaccine ( and fines for noncompliance) was a legitimate exercise of police power to safeguard public health, and he rejected a libertarian due process claim for deprivation of personal liberty, on the ground that people cannot act with respect to their bodies in a way that threatens the well-being of others. Actually, that caveat is well established in the Libertarian Party Statement of Principles.

My body. My choice.

Amirite????

:coffee:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Baldy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:26 am
Ivytalk wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:09 am Columnist Bill Galston cited Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905), in support of his argument that the federal government may enforce compulsory COVID vaccines. In that case, involving the smallpox vaccine, Justice John Marshall Harlan ruled that a compulsory vaccine ( and fines for noncompliance) was a legitimate exercise of police power to safeguard public health, and he rejected a libertarian due process claim for deprivation of personal liberty, on the ground that people cannot act with respect to their bodies in a way that threatens the well-being of others. Actually, that caveat is well established in the Libertarian Party Statement of Principles.

My body. My choice.

Amirite????

That argument didn’t win over Justice Harlan.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:28 am
Baldy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:26 am
My body. My choice.

Amirite????

That argument didn’t win over Justice Harlan.
Justice Harlan apparently wasn't woke. :ugeek:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:36 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:58 am

I just read it differently. But hey, if they say a third dose is needed, then I'm getting it as soon as I can as well. I drove more than an hour to get my first doses (I could've waited two weeks and then gotten it at any of the 15 local pharmacies, but I didn't know it was going to be that way). And at this point, I'm fine with saying that if you're vaccinated, go about however you want (wear a mask, don't wear a mask, up to you) and if you aren't vaccinated then wearing a mask is up to you but you should be COVID tested once a week at your job or your school and if you need to quarantine then you do so without pay or other accommodations. Exceptions would be the kids under 12 since they can't get the shot yet - I don't see how you can have them in school without masks at this point. But I'm all in favor of making it really burdensome to not have a vaccination, short of actually requiring someone to get vaccinated.

On another note, what's holding up making Pfizer and Moderna fully approved (rather than just emergency use) at this point? It's been 7-8 months since the emergency authorization was given. We're not moving fast enough to remove this made up excuse to not get a vaccine. Fully approve it already, and approve it for the under 12 set as well. Government has a part to play here and while Biden's busy calling people stupid we could be fast tracking this thing much more than we are.
What are you going to do when all the unvaccinated say screw it and stay home. How many truck drivers, grocery workers, etc. stay home and the economy grinds to a halt?
I'm assuming we won't be dishing out $300 or $600 weekly checks anymore as unemployment assistance. The lack of money will point people in the direction of getting the shot and getting on with life.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Drat - is this retroactive? I could've made $500 if I had waited to get the family vaccinated rather than doing it when they were first available. This is probably just a small measure of the ire I'll feel when they cancel student debt but not apply it retroactively.
The President will also call on states, territories, and local governments to do more to incentivize vaccination, including offering $100 to Americans getting vaccinated (Treasury released an announcement touting the incentive Thursday).
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/corona ... c-07-29-21
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

This is odd. Biden has never given Trump any credit for the vaccine. What gives now?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Vaccinated vs unvaccinated COVID cases.

Can someone help me understand this reasoning:. Been reading that we are seeing more vaccinated people come down with COVID than those that are unvaccinated. The reasoning is that the vaccinated represent a larger group and thus should have more total cases. Makes sense, but where I keep getting hung up is if the 95% effectiveness needs to be applied to the vaccinated first.

For example, let's say we have 200 million vaccinated and 150 unvaccinated. Don't you have to take 200 million and multiply the vaccine effectiveness of 95% to actual get a susceptible pool of 10 million possible? Therefore it's 10 million vs 150 million unvaccinated.

I have to be totally looking over some simple rule like My Dear Aunt Sally, because if I'm not, that's a whopper of a misleading statement. This feels like when I'm at the grocery store and ask where to find something, only to have the employee tell me it's a foot away from where I'm looking.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »