Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:10 am Agreed I'm off track, but the point is...listen to your doctor about the vaccines. Don't be a dumbass and listen to the handful of charlatans on YT or wherever. For everyone one of those, there's a few hundred or thousand that want you to be vaccinated.

So it goes both ways when questioning doctors. If you're going to sit there and cite one doctor saying the vaccine sucks (not you GF), you need to question that one doctor too. And the answer to that question are all the others saying it's safe.
Agreed.

And I can see where the mindset of mistrust on other issues carries over to Covid for sone people.

But I can assure you that healthy skepticism of medical advice from a PCP is very warranted. Skepticism and open mindedness to recommendations can literally save your life.

Speaking from from shared and personal experience.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:10 am Agreed I'm off track, but the point is...listen to your doctor about the vaccines. Don't be a dumbass and listen to the handful of charlatans on YT or wherever. For everyone one of those, there's a few hundred or thousand that want you to be vaccinated.

So it goes both ways when questioning doctors. If you're going to sit there and cite one doctor saying the vaccine sucks (not you GF), you need to question that one doctor too. And the answer to that question are all the others saying it's safe.
Not if they confirm your bias! That's how it works with me.

One aspect that goes seriously overlooked is the direction provided to reduce comorbidities. A very large portion of that is in the control of the patient, but is ignored.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

When host Bret Baier asked if Walensky supports requiring vaccination on a federal level.
That’s something that I think the administration is looking into. It’s something that I think we are looking to see approval of from the vaccine. Overall, I think in general, I am all for more vaccination. But I have nothing further to say on that except that we are looking into those policies.
https://news.yahoo.com/cdc-director-bid ... 26809.html
So the Biden admin is contemplating trying to somehow force all Americans to take the vaccine..Wow..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:10 pm When host Bret Baier asked if Walensky supports requiring vaccination on a federal level.
That’s something that I think the administration is looking into. It’s something that I think we are looking to see approval of from the vaccine. Overall, I think in general, I am all for more vaccination. But I have nothing further to say on that except that we are looking into those policies.
So the Biden admin is contemplating trying to somehow force all Americans to take the vaccine..Wow..
The United Healthcare Workers Union, the SEIU, The American Postal Workers Union, The American Federation of Teachers, and The Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association have all came out against mandatory vaccinations and all endorsed Joe Biden.

Have fun! :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Baldy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:09 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:10 pm When host Bret Baier asked if Walensky supports requiring vaccination on a federal level.

The United Healthcare Workers Union, the SEIU, The American Postal Workers Union, The American Federation of Teachers, and The Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association have all came out against mandatory vaccinations and all endorsed Joe Biden.

Have fun! :lol:
Yep (except FLEOA didn’t endorse Biden)..
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Lepers.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Now the CDC director flip flops all in the same day:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Woodbury Walmart requiring mask today
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

This morning, while watching TV, I saw Rand Paul say, "It's absolutely factual, the Delta variant is more transmissible but far less deadly than the virus from last year."

That is false. The overall case fatality rate is lower. But common sense should tell anyone who thinks about it that a factor in that is the fact the the overwhelming majority of the elderly are fully vaccinated. People making Paul's argument are comparing an overall case fatality rate from a time when there was no vaccine and COVID-19 was ravaging the elderly population to a time (now) when most of the elderly are protected by vaccines.

Here is a fact check on the issue:
https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/ ... n-bongino/

For its part, the CDC says it does not have the data to say whether the Delta variant is more or less deadly, but it has cited three reports indicating the it might cause more severe disease.

I also saw Ted Cruz say the CDC said vaccines don't work anymore. That is an outright lie.

Just a couple of more manifestations of the anti-science, denial-of-reality culture characterizing the conservative movement in general and the Republican Party in particular right now. Don't know how we're going to get these people snapped out of their stupor but we need to find a way because it's hurting all of us.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

FYI, according to the article dated July 22 at https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... ta-variant, our vaccines are highly efficacious against the Delta variant. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7361120/ for estimates of efficacy needed to stop the pandemic. There is some uncertainty with respect to just HOW efficacious our vaccines are against Delta. But there is no doubt that, even at the lower end of the uncertainty intervals, they are efficacious enough to stop the pandemic IF we can somehow overcome the anti vax misinformation and get to a high percentage of the people being fully vaccinated.

And we need to do it because if we don't stop this thing future variants could be a lot worse. The longer we have people refusing to be vaccinated so that the virus can keep circulating the greater the chance of having more dangerous and more resistant variants evolve.
Could I ever be a star?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:06 am This morning, while watching TV, I saw Rand Paul say, "It's absolutely factual, the Delta variant is more transmissible but far less deadly than the virus from last year."

That is false. The overall case fatality rate is lower. But common sense should tell anyone who thinks about it that a factor in that is the fact the the overwhelming majority of the elderly are fully vaccinated. People making Paul's argument are comparing an overall case fatality rate from a time when there was no vaccine and COVID-19 was ravaging the elderly population to a time (now) when most of the elderly are protected by vaccines.

For its part, the CDC says it does not have the data to say whether the Delta variant is more or less deadly, but it has cited three reports indicating the it might cause more severe disease.

I also saw Ted Cruz say the CDC said vaccines don't work anymore. That is an outright lie.

Just a couple of more manifestations of the anti-science, denial-of-reality culture characterizing the conservative movement in general and the Republican Party in particular right now. Don't know how we're going to get these people snapped out of their stupor but we need to find a way because it's hurting all of us.
You do know your statement here flies in the face of not only evolution, but pandemic history?

Simply put, the predominant strain is usually the one that spreads the most. That usually means more infectious but less deadly.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:18 am FYI, according to the article dated July 22 at https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... ta-variant, our vaccines are highly efficacious against the Delta variant. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7361120/ for estimates of efficacy needed to stop the pandemic. There is some uncertainty with respect to just HOW efficacious our vaccines are against Delta. But there is no doubt that, even at the lower end of the uncertainty intervals, they are efficacious enough to stop the pandemic IF we can somehow overcome the anti vax misinformation and get to a high percentage of the people being fully vaccinated.

And we need to do it because if we don't stop this thing future variants could be a lot worse. The longer we have people refusing to be vaccinated so that the virus can keep circulating the greater the chance of having more dangerous and more resistant variants evolve.
You do know that the majority of mutations are either non beneficial or detrimental? In regards to variants, where do you think the evolutionary pressure to escape the immune system is coming from? I'm sure it still remains to be validated, but there was concern expressed before vaccinations started, that we were going to try and vaccinate our way out of a pandemic with a non-sterilizing vaccine.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:01 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:18 am FYI, according to the article dated July 22 at https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... ta-variant, our vaccines are highly efficacious against the Delta variant. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7361120/ for estimates of efficacy needed to stop the pandemic. There is some uncertainty with respect to just HOW efficacious our vaccines are against Delta. But there is no doubt that, even at the lower end of the uncertainty intervals, they are efficacious enough to stop the pandemic IF we can somehow overcome the anti vax misinformation and get to a high percentage of the people being fully vaccinated.

You do know that the majority of mutations are either non beneficial or detrimental? In regards to variants, where do you think the evolutionary pressure to escape the immune system is coming from? I'm sure it still remains to be validated, but there was concern expressed before vaccinations started, that we were going to try and vaccinate our way out of a pandemic with a non-sterilizing vaccine.
The vaccine was/is created to take the number of people getting severely ill, hospitalized, on vents, and dying to as close to zero as possible. They work in doing that.

Now, if your theory that as things mutate the only get weaker (not sure I buy that but haven't looked at it) then the vaccine certainly will get us out of it quicker and healthier. People won't get nearly as sick and it can start be treated as the "common flu" as the retards called it for the last year. Then it will evolve itself out of being a thing while not having the power to attack humans like it has been because the vaccine does give humans the ability to avoid the serious side of it at a significant rate.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:59 am
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:06 am This morning, while watching TV, I saw Rand Paul say, "It's absolutely factual, the Delta variant is more transmissible but far less deadly than the virus from last year."

You do know your statement here flies in the face of not only evolution, but pandemic history?

Simply put, the predominant strain is usually the one that spreads the most. That usually means more infectious but less deadly.
See https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-011488089270. Here is a quote responding to the basic premise you are going with:
“That claim as a whole is just nonsense,” said Troy Day, a professor of mathematics and biology at Queen’s University in Canada, who has studied the ways infectious diseases, including coronavirus, can evolve.
That is another example of something people within the conservative misinformation bubble just said. Then it was accepted as fact without critical examination by a whole bunch of conservatives.

Besides, the point is that the data do not suggest that this variant is less deadly. Right now we don't know about that. But CDC is suggesting that there are data indicating that it may cause more severe disease. What do you think that is likely to translate to in terms of "deadliness?"

The bottom line is that Paul made a completely unsupportable statement.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

clenz wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:08 pm

The vaccine was/is created to take the number of people getting severely ill, hospitalized, on vents, and dying to as close to zero as possible. They work in doing that.

Now, if your theory that as things mutate the only get weaker (not sure I buy that but haven't looked at it) then the vaccine certainly will get us out of it quicker and healthier. People won't get nearly as sick and it can start be treated as the "common flu" as the retards called it for the last year. Then it will evolve itself out of being a thing while not having the power to attack humans like it has been because the vaccine does give humans the ability to avoid the serious side of it at a significant rate.
The vaccines do reduce transmission. It's not just that it protects the individuals from severe disease and death. It's that it breaks chains of transmission and reduces circulation. It does not reduce transmission to zero. But if we could get that proportion of the population refusing to get vaccinated to get vaccinated so that we could get to something like 90% fully vaccinated (and probably somewhat lower than that), we could reduce circulation enough to make the epidemic in the United States go away.

It is obvious that vaccination campaigns can be successful in pretty much eliminating specific diseases as problems Vaccination campaigns are why polio, smallpox, and measles are not big problems anymore (though we do have flare ups of measles because people refuse to vaccinate their children even though there is no rational reason to take that position).

There are people in the Republican Party who are acting responsibly with respect to this issue. Mitch McConnell is an example. But there are WAY too many people in the Republican Party who are not. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz are two of them.
Could I ever be a star?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Let me clarify. Viruses can mutate in a bad way, but the majority of mutations are towards allowing the virus to spread more, while not killing.

If a virus is a real killer, it doesn't have a chance to infect a lot of people because it killed everyone.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Here is Ted Cruz making an ass of himself:

phpBB [video]

There are so many problems with what he says there that I won't attempt to get to them all. But here are a few observations:

The CDC has not said the vaccines don't work anymore. The CDC says that people who DO get infected in spite of being vaccinated can have a high viral load meaning that they might be able to transmit the disease. It is still the case that CDC says you are less likely to be infected if you are vaccinated. Here is a statement from the CDC page at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... nated.html:
Infections happen in only a small proportion of people who are fully vaccinated, even with the Delta variant.
But they recommend that you wear a mask because if you DO become infected you may be able to spread the disease. That is totally responsible recommendation.

Cruz mentions Fauci. Again: Fauci changed his position on masks when it was determined that asymptomatic people can spread the disease. He ALWAYS said that the purpose of wearing a mask is to prevent people who are infected to spread the disease to others. His position was that a mask is of limited value in protecting YOU from getting the disease from someone else. And that is the truth. When it became clear that COVID-19 was being spread by asymptomatic people, he changed his position on masks because of the need TO HAVE PEOPLE WHO ARE INFECTED NOT SPREAD THE DISEASE TO OTHERS. I don't know why people can't get that.

The CDC is not being political. It is the foremost entity with respect to expertise on addressing stuff like this in the world. It is looking at data in the context of massive uncertainty and making the best possible recommendations it can make. And we would be a lot better off right now if we just listened to the CDC and ignored stuff coming from people like Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, and all the nut jobs on the internet claiming that health agencies are involved in some kind of conspiracy.

This is another illustration of why the Republican Party in the United States has become a danger to this country. These people are just totally dishonest. Totally disingenuous. And they are being totally dishonest and totally disingenuous in ways that harm this country. It's bad.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Could I ever be a star?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:43 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:59 am

See https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-011488089270. Here is a quote responding to the basic premise you are going with:
“That claim as a whole is just nonsense,” said Troy Day, a professor of mathematics and biology at Queen’s University in Canada, who has studied the ways infectious diseases, including coronavirus, can evolve.
That is another example of something people within the conservative misinformation bubble just said. Then it was accepted as fact without critical examination by a whole bunch of conservatives.

Besides, the point is that the data do not suggest that this variant is less deadly. Right now we don't know about that. But CDC is suggesting that there are data indicating that it may cause more severe disease. What do you think that is likely to translate to in terms of "deadliness?"

The bottom line is that Paul made a completely unsupportable statement.
Bro. This isn't my premise. It's common knowledge in the field of Epidemiology. I could have been more clear like with Clenz by saying the majority of mutations work that way. It's why we have the word endemic.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:54 pm

The vaccines do reduce transmission. It's not just that it protects the individuals from severe disease and death. It's that it breaks chains of transmission and reduces circulation. It does not reduce transmission to zero. But if we could get that proportion of the population refusing to get vaccinated to get vaccinated so that we could get to something like 90% fully vaccinated (and probably somewhat lower than that), we could reduce circulation enough to make the epidemic in the United States go away.

It is obvious that vaccination campaigns can be successful in pretty much eliminating specific diseases as problems Vaccination campaigns are why polio, smallpox, and measles are not big problems anymore (though we do have flare ups of measles because people refuse to vaccinate their children even though there is no rational reason to take that position).

There are people in the Republican Party who are acting responsibly with respect to this issue. Mitch McConnell is an example. But there are WAY too many people in the Republican Party who are not. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz are two of them.
If the vaccine is breaking transmission, why do we have Ct counts equal to the unvaccinated? The vaccine is doing its job of reducing symptoms, but as of recent studies, is showing that those vaccinated who experience a Delta breakthrough case are spreading the virus.

This is why Fauci changed his tune. The vaccine was supposed to stop spread, but doesn't, so mask up!

Now with all that being said, I believe the study is in preprint, which means it hasn't been peer reviewed. This sensationalism is whiplashing Americans.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:14 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:54 pm

If the vaccine is breaking transmission, why do we have Ct counts equal to the unvaccinated? The vaccine is doing its job of reducing symptoms, but as of recent studies, is showing that those vaccinated who experience a Delta breakthrough case are spreading the virus.

This is why Fauci changed his tune. The vaccine was supposed to stop spread, but doesn't, so mask up!

Now with all that being said, I believe the study is in preprint, which means it hasn't been peer reviewed. This sensationalism is whiplashing Americans.
I prefer my personal physicians advice over Fauci. My Doc said if I get covid, to take the Trump drug. It's the only approved drug that is affective.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:06 am

I prefer my personal physicians advice over Fauci. My Doc said if I get covid, to take the Trump drug. It's the only approved drug that is affective.
Same here. Prefer my doctor over everyone else. In fairness to Fauci, he has to fulfill his bureaucratic duties and I think that comes through in his words too much.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:39 am

Same here. Prefer my doctor over everyone else. In fairness to Fauci, he has to fulfill his bureaucratic duties and I think that comes through in his words too much.
:nod:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

I didn't get what Trump did. I got something that "was only emergency approved". Had most of my symptoms back to manageable within a day whereas when I went in I was in, head to toe, the most excruciating pain I've ever been in with a BP of 175/115 and unable to breath to the point that doing more than 40-50 feet of walking at a time was enough to make me want to pass out.

Certainly seems like there is more than one drug that is effective then, huh?

Though it looks like the drug I got is no longer approved for use alone due to the variants developing resistance to it. At the time of it having the EUA pulled the 20% of the varients sequenced were thought to be resistant to it. Good thing I got it in January I guess.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

clenz wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:34 am

I didn't get what Trump did. I got something that "was only emergency approved". Had most of my symptoms back to manageable within a day whereas when I went in I was in, head to toe, the most excruciating pain I've ever been in with a BP of 175/115 and unable to breath to the point that doing more than 40-50 feet of walking at a time was enough to make me want to pass out.

Certainly seems like there is more than one drug that is effective then, huh?

Though it looks like the drug I got is no longer approved for use alone due to the variants developing resistance to it. At the time of it having the EUA pulled the 20% of the varients sequenced were thought to be resistant to it. Good thing I got it in January I guess.
I call BS. If it didn’t happen to me it must not be all that bad.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

don't forget to shove a UV light up your ass :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky