Political discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:57 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:44 am Seems to be the trend in the highly vaccinated areas.

First of all, 67% is not a high vaccination rate. It's RELATIVELY high. But my understanding is that, with something as contagious as the Delta variant is, it would take something like a 90% vaccination rate to see the effect we want.

Secondly, that is just one observation. Earlier this summer I went through the trouble of doing a correlation between State vaccination rate and State case rate. I got a highly significant negative correlation such that higher vaccination rate was associated with lower case rate. I guess I can do that again. But you know what's going to happen. I'm going to get the same result.

That does not mean one can't find a few examples of jurisdictions with high vaccination rates and high case rates. But the overall trend is higher vaccination rate is associated with lower case rate.

You know...in fact I think you ought to remember when I did that because I THINK that's when you said something about the data I used and I said it was from Worldometers.

Another thing is that we need to see what percentage of those Bermuda cases are among the unvaccinated. About one third of the population is not vaccinated. If it turned out that something like 80 or 90% of those cases are among the unvaccinated the data are not going to support the point you're trying to make.
So you're discounting the "outlier"?

And yet people scream from the mountain tops every time someone under 60 dies from the disease. And why? Because literally EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. makes the news. "30 year old mother of 4"; "42 year old health nut" "35 year old triathlete" etc., etc., etc. ALL are outliers, but they're crammed down our throats to "prove" how dangerous the new variant is to the younger population.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:24 am

First of all, 67% is not a high vaccination rate. It's RELATIVELY high. But my understanding is that, with something as contagious as the Delta variant is, it would take something like a 90% vaccination rate to see the effect we want.

Secondly, that is just one observation. Earlier this summer I went through the trouble of doing a correlation between State vaccination rate and State case rate. I got a highly significant negative correlation such that higher vaccination rate was associated with lower case rate. I guess I can do that again. But you know what's going to happen. I'm going to get the same result.

That does not mean one can't find a few examples of jurisdictions with high vaccination rates and high case rates. But the overall trend is higher vaccination rate is associated with lower case rate.

You know...in fact I think you ought to remember when I did that because I THINK that's when you said something about the data I used and I said it was from Worldometers.

Another thing is that we need to see what percentage of those Bermuda cases are among the unvaccinated. About one third of the population is not vaccinated. If it turned out that something like 80 or 90% of those cases are among the unvaccinated the data are not going to support the point you're trying to make.

And yet people scream from the mountain tops every time someone under 60 dies from the disease. And why? Because literally EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. makes the news. "30 year old mother of 4"; "42 year old health nut" "35 year old triathlete" etc., etc., etc. ALL are outliers, but they're crammed down our throats to "prove" how dangerous the new variant is to the younger population.
There are many more graphs than this showing how vaccinations and social attempts did not stop the spike in cases. UK and Israel scream of this.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:28 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:24 am

There are many more graphs than this showing how vaccinations and social attempts did not stop the spike in cases. UK and Israel scream of this.
Many factors including that Israel is mostly Pfizer and Moderna is showing better protection against Delta and that efficacy may wain quicker than thought. Even so, there’s some evidence that breakthrough cases are shorter in duration, further reducing the spread. Israel’s answer is boosters.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:44 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:28 am

Many factors including that Israel is mostly Pfizer and Moderna is showing better protection against Delta and that efficacy may wain quicker than thought. Even so, there’s some evidence that breakthrough cases are shorter in duration, further reducing the spread. Israel’s answer is boosters.
The whole point was to simply show that under current conditions, we are NOT seeing the ability to Vax our way out of this pandemic. COVIDs gonna COVID. You can't get to zero COVID if your vaccines don't either prevent someone from getting infected or prevent them from spreading once infected. The vaccines don't do either, so COVID is not stopped by the vaccines.

It's settled science :lol:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:44 am Seems to be the trend in the highly vaccinated areas.

If you have time, it would be interesting to see your new analysis.

I say this because we are starting to enter that period where breakthrough cases are increasing. Be interesting to see how much the data has changed.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:12 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:49 am I'm just confused because you say you studied microbiology or whatever, but just take a step back and get back to fundamentals:

10 viral molecules enter the body of 1 unvaccinated person and 1 vaccinated person.

Unvaccinated Day 1
-10 molecules replicate, become 20 molecules (replication is when a random error (aka. mutation) can occur, 10 chances of random mutation).
-Body doesn't recognize virus yet.
Unvaccinated Day 2
-20 molecule replicated, become 40 molecules (20 chances of random mutation)
-Body doesn't recognize virus yet.
Unvaccinated Day 3
-40 molecules replicate, become 80 molecules (40 chances of random mutation)
-Body recognizes molecules as foreign, produces 60 antibodies.
Unvaccinated Day 4
-40 of 60 antibodies find/kill molecules, body produces 80 antibodies this time.
-40 molecules replicate, become 80 molecules (40 chances of random mutation)
Unvaccinated Day 5
-70 of 100 antibodies find/kill molecules, body produces 100 antibodies this time.
-10 molecules replicate, become 20 molecules (10 chances of random mutation)
Unvaccinated Day 6
-20 of 130 antibodies find/kill molecules. Person is healed.

Vaccinated Day 1
-10 molecules replicated, become 20 molecules (10 chances of random mutation)
-Body recognize molecules as foreign, produce 60 antibodies.
Vaccinated Day 2
-20 of 60 antibodies find/kill molecules. Person is healed.

Obviously all numbers are made up, but it gives you a gist of how it works at a fundamental level. In the scenario above, the virus had 120 opportunities for a random error when it replicated itself. A virus in a vaccinated person had 10 opportunities.

This isn't some Covid-specific scenario either. It's just how all virus/vaccine interactions work.

And FWIW, viruses can't recognize if someone is vaccinated or unvaccinated. It's all just random copy/paste errors and the more errors there are, the more likely a random mutation can occur to avoid a vaccine.

Basically...get vaccinated.
I have never said to not get vaccinated, in fact I've recommended for those at high risk.

In regards to who produces the variants, I even stated in a previous post that I have no idea how they can quantify who is spreading variants. But to say it is only the unvaccinated that are driving the variants is absurd.

I've also given the basis for the reasoning. Evolutionary (selective) pressure. If you've ever taken an evolution class, it's a major topic. The vaccines narrow Ab profile provides just such targeted pressure for the spike protein to mutate. Of course it can happen with the unvaccinated, but when you target something, you definitely increase chances something will happen.

You're telling me that antibiotics don't cause resistance? You telling me that not eradicating cancer completely does NOT result in cancer that comes back and doesn't respond to the chemo anymore?

Lastly, I provided a real world experiment showing there is validity to the claim.

Can you produce any scientific papers showing the unvaccinated are driving the variants?
Mutations can arise anywhere there is a living virus. The more virus around, such as India, where the Delta came from, had a low vaccination rate, and many cases of Covid. There is a very small chance that the vaccine can cause variants, but the Delta number strongly suggest it came from the unvaccinated hordes in India.

It's been proven that a person that previously had Covid, can have a much better immunity than a person vaccinated, but a vaccinated person that previously had Covid, has even stronger immunity. Vaccines basically are to help prevent a serious Covid infection.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:51 am

The whole point was to simply show that under current conditions, we are NOT seeing the ability to Vax our way out of this pandemic. COVIDs gonna COVID. You can't get to zero COVID if your vaccines don't either prevent someone from getting infected or prevent them from spreading once infected. The vaccines don't do either, so COVID is not stopped by the vaccines.

How did we get rid of polio or Small Pox then, if it's vaccine effectiveness is not 100%
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:02 am

How did we get rid of polio or Small Pox then, if it's vaccine effectiveness is not 100%
I'd wager a guess that Small Pox was/is significantly less infectious than a coronavirus is.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Completely slaying it today. :notworthy: :clap:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

The smallpox vaccine and the oral polio vaccine were both sterilizing - the IPV portion is not. They may not have been 100%, but they obviously stopped enough through their sterilizing aspects.

Nothing wrong with the COVID vaccines not being sterilizing. They will end up just like the Flu vaccines. Take them in the hopes you don't get a nasty version and live with it being endemic.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:51 am

The smallpox vaccine and the oral polio vaccine were both sterilizing - the IPV portion is not. They may not have been 100%, but they obviously stopped enough through their sterilizing aspects.

Nothing wrong with the COVID vaccines not being sterilizing. They will end up just like the Flu vaccines. Take them in the hopes you don't get a nasty version and live with it being endemic.
I always chuckle at the "but the polio and smallpox vaccines..." comments. As if what we are dealing with is the same thing. :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Early Sept 2020, 8 months into the virus in the US: 7 days avg around 40k daily new cases, zero people vaccinated.
Early Sept 2021, 20 months into the virus in the US: 7 day avg around 150k daily new cases, 200+ million people vaccinated.

Yep, the vaccines are working great..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Just had my endoscopy scheduled for next week postponed due to crisis of care conditions in N. Alabama, lower vaccine rates in E. WA, and over flow.

Not life threatening but it would be nice to have my varisces checked in case any are ready to pop and need banding.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:50 am Just had my endoscopy scheduled for next week postponed due to crisis of care conditions in N. Alabama, lower vaccine rates in E. WA, and over flow.

Not life threatening but it would be nice to have my varisces checked in case any are ready to pop and need banding.
This works great at plugging up small holes in circulatory systems.

“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ok, so what about the Delta Variant starting in a low vax country like India, being started by the few vaccinated people they had?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:36 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:06 pm

What you SHOULD be doing is ignoring stuff from sources like that and just looking at what the CDC says. You're looking at flipping tweets by people who say things you are inclined to want to believe and taking them to the bank.
I've been to the UK site to verify his chart. He took the numbers from the UK report table and graphed them.

Go to the first report after the link. CDC isn't putting out anything close to this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-20201201
Ok. Now that I had a little time to look I went back and looked at the report at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _09_16.pdf. It looks like he got his numbers for the September 17 update from Table 6 of that report. Here is what the authors have to say about table 6:
Table 6 shows secondary attack rates for all variants between 5 January 2021 and 24 August
2021, which was a period chosen to capture data for all variants. Direct comparisons between
variants are not valid
as vaccination levels and social restrictions in England have varied over
this period.
Underline added for emphasis. So Wolt went ahead and made direct comparisons between variants even though the authors EXPLICITLY wrote that doing that is not valid.

This is no surprise. I have seen this over and over again. COVID-19 contrarians lift information from reports out of context and present them as supporting their contrarian outlook. Then you actually look at the report they lifted the information from and, sure enough, the report does not actually support what they are doing.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:50 pm

Ok, so what about the Delta Variant starting in a low vax country like India, being started by the few vaccinated people they had?
As noted in the article at https://www.science.org/content/blog-po ... e-variants that I linked earlier:
...the Delta variant was first detected in India back in October of last year. This is before anyone was getting vaccinated. The Delta variant is by far the dominant one in the world, crowding out all the others, and it did not come as a result of vaccination.
I think that the consensus among experts in the field is that widespread vaccine coverage reduces the risk posed by new variants. I think the idea is that, if you allow the virus to spread unimpeded by vaccination, you allow more opportunity for mutation and increase the frequency of generation of new variants. I think they think that there is a possibility of giving a vaccine restricted strain a competitive advantage over other strains through vaccination. But the actual chance of having a vaccine resistant and/or more dangerous variant arise in the first place is REDUCED through widespread vaccination.

There is a report on a study expressing that thought process at https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19 ... t-variants. Here is a quote:
The study showed that three factors increase the probability of a vaccine-resistant strain taking hold:

Slow rates of vaccination.
High number of infected individuals.
Faster mutation rate.
These factors, Rello said, are obvious to some degree.

"Every infected individual is like a mini-bioreactor, increasing the risk that mutations will appear that will endow the virus with the property of avoiding the immune system primed by a vaccine," he said.
So it's obvious that the referenced researcher believes a high vaccination rate is important to reducing the risk of vaccine-resistant strains. But, at the same time, he said this:
Not as obvious, Rello added, is that when most people are vaccinated, a vaccine-resistant strain has an advantage over the original strain and spreads faster.
Here's another thing on the need for having a high vaccination rate to minimize adverse impacts by new variants:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/ecli ... 0/fulltext
Could I ever be a star?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:42 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:50 pm

As noted in the article at https://www.science.org/content/blog-po ... e-variants that I linked earlier:
...the Delta variant was first detected in India back in October of last year. This is before anyone was getting vaccinated. The Delta variant is by far the dominant one in the world, crowding out all the others, and it did not come as a result of vaccination.
I think that the consensus among experts in the field is that widespread vaccine coverage reduces the risk posed by new variants. I think the idea is that, if you allow the virus to spread unimpeded by vaccination, you allow more opportunity for mutation and increase the frequency of generation of new variants. I think they think that there is a possibility of giving a vaccine restricted strain a competitive advantage over other strains through vaccination. But the actual chance of having a vaccine resistant and/or more dangerous variant arise in the first place is REDUCED through widespread vaccination.

There is a report on a study expressing that thought process at https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19 ... t-variants. Here is a quote:
The study showed that three factors increase the probability of a vaccine-resistant strain taking hold:

Slow rates of vaccination.
High number of infected individuals.
Faster mutation rate.
These factors, Rello said, are obvious to some degree.

"Every infected individual is like a mini-bioreactor, increasing the risk that mutations will appear that will endow the virus with the property of avoiding the immune system primed by a vaccine," he said.
So it's obvious that the referenced researcher believes a high vaccination rate is important to reducing the risk of vaccine-resistant strains. But, at the same time, he said this:
Not as obvious, Rello added, is that when most people are vaccinated, a vaccine-resistant strain has an advantage over the original strain and spreads faster.
Here's another thing on the need for having a high vaccination rate to minimize adverse impacts by new variants:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/ecli ... 0/fulltext
Sorry dude. Your post is too long to reply to more than one portion. I'm limited to my phone for access.

In regards to no vaccines being used in India before the variants, where do you think the Sputnik trials were performed long before the variants? I mean hell, if your article really wants to nitpick.

Lastly, all you posted in rebuttal are arguments without supporting data. When will you provides studies like I did? Let's see your data.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

The reason we are not going to be able to vax our way out of this pandemic is because we have a bunch of idiots who refuse to get vaccinated. No vaccine has 100% efficacy. But the vaccines do substantially reduce the probability that the vaccinated individual will get infected and if they don't get infected they are not going to spread it. What you need is a high vaccination rate to get to the point where the virus is not transmitted enough to sustain the epidemic (or pandemic). What percentage do we need? The article at https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... t-20486808 appears to say that maybe 70% would do it. It says that what is needed depends on how contagious the disease is and says that it takes 94% with measles. I have heard some say it would take 90% with COVID-19's Delta variant.

But, whatever it is, we are nowhere close. According to https://usafacts.org/visualizations/cov ... er-states/, we are now at 55% of the population fully vaccinated. That's pathetic.

Please don't tell me that what's happened so far shows that the widespread vaccination solution won't work when we can't achieve sufficiently widespread vaccination because a bunch of dumbasses are refusing to get vaccinated. And don't tell me that a vaccine has to completely eliminate the possibility of a vaccinated person becoming infected to achieve the desired population effect because that is not true.
Could I ever be a star?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:55 pm

The reason we are not going to be able to vax our way out of this pandemic is because we have a bunch of idiots who refuse to get vaccinated. No vaccine has 100% efficacy. But the vaccines do substantially reduce the probability that the vaccinated individual will get infected and if they don't get infected they are not going to spread it. What you need is a high vaccination rate to get to the point where the virus is not transmitted enough to sustain the epidemic (or pandemic). What percentage do we need? The article at https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... t-20486808 appears to say that maybe 70% would do it. It says that what is needed depends on how contagious the disease is and says that it takes 94% with measles. I have heard some say it would take 90% with COVID-19's Delta variant.

But, whatever it is, we are nowhere close. According to https://usafacts.org/visualizations/cov ... er-states/, we are now at 55% of the population fully vaccinated. That's pathetic.

Please don't tell me that what's happened so far shows that the widespread vaccination solution won't work when we can't achieve sufficiently widespread vaccination because a bunch of dumbasses are refusing to get vaccinated. And don't tell me that a vaccine has to completely eliminate the possibility of a vaccinated person becoming infected to achieve the desired population effect because that is not true.
Look at Israel.

I love how the vaccination rate is some magical number that keeps getting revised upwards everytime a spike happens. That should quickly let you know you have a SHIT theory, when real world data keeps ruining your prediction. It's called science.

By the way, straighten out this Nobel Laureate on Viruses, would you?

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/ma ... ar-AAKmnJr
French virologist and Nobel Prize winner Luc Montagnier called mass vaccination against the coronavirus during the pandemic "unthinkable" and a historical blunder that is "creating the variants" and leading to deaths from the disease, LifeSite News reported.
Last edited by SeattleGriz on Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

For what it's worth, I don't have any more symptoms.

I hung out in close quarters with three people on Friday (tested positive Saturday) and one person on Thursday. Every one of them has tested negative so far. My boss also got tested (although he's had Covid-19 previously) and tested negative as well. Granted we were all outside (except for my boss) and I was asymptomatic both days, but I was right next to them for hours on end.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:56 pm For what it's worth, I'm not symptomatic anymore.

I hung out in close quarters with three people on Friday (tested positive Saturday) and one person on Thursday. Everyone one of them has tested negative so far. My boss also got tested (although he's had Covid-19 previously) and tested negative as well.
Glad you are well and congratulations on probably having one of the most pissed off at COVID immunity's around.

May you never have to worry again.
Last edited by SeattleGriz on Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:58 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:56 pm For what it's worth, I'm not symptomatic anymore.

I hung out in close quarters with three people on Friday (tested positive Saturday) and one person on Thursday. Everyone one of them has tested negative so far. My boss also got tested (although he's had Covid-19 previously) and tested negative as well.
Glad you are well and congratulations on probably having one of the most pissed off at COVID immunities around.

May you never have to worry again.
God I hope so. I was talking with my friend at the NIH yesterday and asking him how what my chances are heading in winter, and he's thinking it's at 95-99% resistance right now. With Delta, it was probably 80%-85% prior to infection. Still, I'm rethinking how I'm going to handle things heading forward; I clearly relaxed and it got me. If I a roll a d100 and get a 1 anytime I encounter the virus this Fall/Winter, I could be re-infected.

I think I'm ok doing outdoor things with small groups, but I think I'm done doing anything in large gatherings for a while. Definitely not doing anything indoors besides work and hanging out with parents/sister. Gonna double-mask when I'm indoors shopping or whatever.

Still, chance of severe sickness is incredibly low at this point no matter if I get it again or not.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Just a daily reminder that vaccine mandates are racist. :coffee:

:popcorn:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5