Political discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:59 pm We're way beyond "potential" impact.

We Should All Give Thanks for Taylor Swift
The relevant question isn't whether Swift is in the same league as the Beatles, it's whether the Beatles are in the same league as Swift.

You old man Beatles fans can yell at the clouds all you want but there is no denying Swift's impact on the world.
Well she’s got good taste and recognizes a legend when she sees one

“Taylor Idolized Paul McCartney Growing Up And First Met Him After One Of His Concerts. Swift has been influenced by a number of artists across all genres of music. Earlier in her career, she would talk about McCartney's influence on her in an interview with Country Music Channel.Aug 2, 2023
And the student has become the master.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:59 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:09 am

This is probably the best post Kalm has made on here
We're way beyond "potential" impact.

Her tour has broken attendance and income records across the country. She has transformed the economy of every city she visits. The U.S. Travel Association reported this fall that what her concertgoers spend in and around each venue “is on par with the Super Bowl, but this time it happened on 53 different nights in 20 different locations over the course of five months.” Downtowns across the country—uniquely battered by the pandemic and the riots and demonstrations of 2020—are, while she is there, brought to life, with an influx of visitors and a local small business boom. Wherever she went it was like the past three years didn’t happen.

When Ms. Swift played Los Angeles for six sold-out nights in August she brought a reported $320 million local windfall with her, including 3,300 jobs and a $160 million increase in local earnings. From Straits Research this month: Ms. Swift’s tour is “an economic phenomenon that is totally altering the rules of entertainment economics.”

When the tour became a bona fide record-breaker Ms. Swift gave everyone in her crew—everyone, the dressers, the guys who move the sets, the sound techs and backup dancers—a combined $55 million in bonuses. The truck drivers received a reported $100,000 each.

Bloomberg Economics reports U.S. gross domestic product went up an estimated $4.3 billion as a result of her first 53 concerts.

The tour made her a billionaire, according to Forbes the first musician ever to make that rank solely based on her songs and performances.

When Ms. Swift made a film of the ongoing tour she reinvented how such things are financed and marketed, upending previous models, and when the film opened, on Oct. 13, it became the most successful concert film in history.

Foreign leaders have begged her to come. One said, “Thailand is back on track to be fully democratic after you had to cancel last time due to the coup.”
People meaning to compliment her ask if she’s Elvis or the Beatles, but it is the wrong question. Taylor Swift is her own category.
The relevant question isn't whether Swift is in the same league as the Beatles, it's whether the Beatles are in the same league as Swift.

You old man Beatles fans can yell at the clouds all you want but there is no denying Swift's impact on the world.
I think the Beatles position in the music world, and the world at large, is in pretty good shape. I don't think that's in any dispute other than from a few disgruntled Stones fans.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Nailed it and that piece of shit Collins.

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

I’m really liking Florida

“Florida State Surgeon General Dr. Joseph Ladapo is calling on healthcare providers to halt the use of COVID-19 mRNA vaccines, citing purported health risks labeled "misinformation" by federal officials. “
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:21 pm I’m really liking Florida

“Florida State Surgeon General Dr. Joseph Ladapo is calling on healthcare providers to halt the use of COVID-19 mRNA vaccines, citing purported health risks labeled "misinformation" by federal officials. “
He's been about the only one to actually look at the "science" and make informed decisions.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:52 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:16 pm

Again, a lot of this is opinion-based. I like the Kinks, and you can make an argument that they were on par with the Beatles, but the Beatles were far more prolific than the Kinks were. That plays a lot into why the Beatles were so and are still so revered.
The Beatles had more pop appeal and were less satirical in their lyrics. The Kinks were also banned from the US for 4 years in the late 60’s for drunkenness and boorish behavior on stage (The Davies brothers fought…a lot). That had to play a role in their stardom over here.

Village Green Preservation Society is one of my all time favorite songs and I more recently discovered Days which is a beautiful and sentimental tune.

Love them both.
Muswell Hillbilly :thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:56 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:26 am

You're dismissing Taylor Swift will have as much impact as my dismissing the Beatles so have at it.
I haven’t dismissed her yet, I recognize that an artist as popular as her must have something going on. I should probably try to listen to a few of her songs but hearing is a problem for me now
She's a good human being for sure, every single member of her last tour was given a six-figure bonus.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

So not everybody that went to college is even dumber than you...? :mrgreen:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:02 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:59 pm

We're way beyond "potential" impact.

I think the Beatles position in the music world, and the world at large, is in pretty good shape. I don't think that's in any dispute other than from a few disgruntled Stones fans.
History's most over-rated band except for a couple of high-water marks in RnR, Gimme Shelter and SFTD, and Gimme Shelter was a good song made into a great song by Merry Clayton a New Orleans gospel singer who'd never heard of the Rolling Stones before she sang with them
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:18 am

History's most over-rated band except for a couple of high-water marks in RnR, Gimme Shelter and SFTD, and Gimme Shelter was a good song made into a great song by Merry Clayton a New Orleans gospel singer who'd never heard of the Rolling Stones before she sang with them
Totally agree on the Stones. Too much of a R&B sound for me most of the time.

BtW, Houndy. I’m now starting to play some John Prine and my guitar buddy who I’m working with has me now into Prine, Uncle Tupelo, Guy Clark, and Norman Blake. I’m becoming countrified. :)
Last edited by kalm on Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:54 am

They never should have let Mick Taylor get away
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:06 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:56 am

I haven’t dismissed her yet, I recognize that an artist as popular as her must have something going on. I should probably try to listen to a few of her songs but hearing is a problem for me now
She's a good human being for sure, every single member of her last tour was given a six-figure bonus.
She sure seems like it but I’m still not motivated enough to listen to one of her songs
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

He sounds reasonable.
Dr. Ladapo’s latest contention is “very irresponsible,” said John Wherry, a vaccine expert and director of the Institute for Immunology at the University of Pennsylvania.
“He has, however, demonstrated a tenuous grasp of science and medicine in general over the course of the pandemic so this is not surprising,” Dr. Wherry said.

Neither Mr. DeSantis’s presidential campaign nor his governor’s office immediately responded to requests for comment. The Florida Department of Health did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the rationale for Dr. Ladapo’s assessment or its potential effect on vaccine uptake in the state.

Dr. Ladapo’s intensifying rhetoric has prompted federal agencies to directly address his claims. In a letter to Dr. Ladapo published in December, the F.D.A. detailed the many reasons his claims are implausible.

The vaccines have saved millions of lives, the agency said in a statement on Wednesday. It chastised Dr. Ladapo for fueling misinformation that contributes to low vaccine uptake and continued death and serious illness from Covid.

Covid is once again resurgent across the United States, and fewer than one in five American adults has received the latest shots. Even among those 75 and older, who are at highest risk from Covid, only about one in three have received the most recent version of the vaccine. Florida’s vaccination rates are among the lowest in the country.
“The F.D.A. stands firmly behind the safety, effectiveness and manufacturing quality of the approved and authorized Covid-19 vaccines, and respectfully disagrees with the Florida Surgeon General’s opinion,” the agency said.

In his declaration on Wednesday, Dr. Ladapo contended that contaminants in the vaccines might integrate into human DNA, theoretically causing chromosomes to become unstable and healthy cells to become cancerous.

Experts in virology and immunology said those ideas were nonsensical.

“You will see a mighty lot of ‘mights’ in there,” said John Moore, a virologist at Weill Cornell Medicine in New York. “There’s no evidence that any of this chain of ‘mights’ actually happens or even could happen.”

DNA vaccines have many orders of magnitude more DNA than is present as an mRNA vaccine contaminant, and yet have never been associated with cancer, Dr. Moore noted.

“Every member of my immediate family has had mRNA vaccine doses,” he added. “I am absolutely certain none of them is at risk of contracting cancer as a result.”
For Dr. Ladapo’s claim to be true, humans would need to have an enzyme that can incorporate foreign DNA into their genomes.

“We don’t have one,” said Dr. Eric Rubin, a member of the F.D.A.’s vaccine advisory committee and the editor in chief of the New England Journal of Medicine.

“There is no mechanism and no credible evidence,” Dr. Rubin said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/03/heal ... UslYV1ZcQk
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:13 am
houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:06 am

She sure seems like it but I’m still not motivated enough to listen to one of her songs
Not my cup of tea, neither is Springsteen's music but I like him.

Now me and my mate were back at the shack
we had Spike Jones on the box
she said "I can't take the way he sings
but I love to hear him talk". J.R. Robinson
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:15 am

He sounds reasonable.
Dr. Ladapo’s latest contention is “very irresponsible,” said John Wherry, a vaccine expert and director of the Institute for Immunology at the University of Pennsylvania.
“He has, however, demonstrated a tenuous grasp of science and medicine in general over the course of the pandemic so this is not surprising,” Dr. Wherry said.

Neither Mr. DeSantis’s presidential campaign nor his governor’s office immediately responded to requests for comment. The Florida Department of Health did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the rationale for Dr. Ladapo’s assessment or its potential effect on vaccine uptake in the state.

Dr. Ladapo’s intensifying rhetoric has prompted federal agencies to directly address his claims. In a letter to Dr. Ladapo published in December, the F.D.A. detailed the many reasons his claims are implausible.

The vaccines have saved millions of lives, the agency said in a statement on Wednesday. It chastised Dr. Ladapo for fueling misinformation that contributes to low vaccine uptake and continued death and serious illness from Covid.

Covid is once again resurgent across the United States, and fewer than one in five American adults has received the latest shots. Even among those 75 and older, who are at highest risk from Covid, only about one in three have received the most recent version of the vaccine. Florida’s vaccination rates are among the lowest in the country.
“The F.D.A. stands firmly behind the safety, effectiveness and manufacturing quality of the approved and authorized Covid-19 vaccines, and respectfully disagrees with the Florida Surgeon General’s opinion,” the agency said.

In his declaration on Wednesday, Dr. Ladapo contended that contaminants in the vaccines might integrate into human DNA, theoretically causing chromosomes to become unstable and healthy cells to become cancerous.

“You will see a mighty lot of ‘mights’ in there,” said John Moore, a virologist at Weill Cornell Medicine in New York. “There’s no evidence that any of this chain of ‘mights’ actually happens or even could happen.”

DNA vaccines have many orders of magnitude more DNA than is present as an mRNA vaccine contaminant, and yet have never been associated with cancer, Dr. Moore noted.

“Every member of my immediate family has had mRNA vaccine doses,” he added. “I am absolutely certain none of them is at risk of contracting cancer as a result.”
For Dr. Ladapo’s claim to be true, humans would need to have an enzyme that can incorporate foreign DNA into their genomes.

“We don’t have one,” said Dr. Eric Rubin, a member of the F.D.A.’s vaccine advisory committee and the editor in chief of the New England Journal of Medicine.

SeagullJizz? Where yat, boy?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:26 am

He sounds reasonable.

SeagullJizz? Where yat, boy?
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

He sounds reasonable.

Maybe he’s from Africa?
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

C’mon

The Stones were good, but they were always 6 months behind the Beatles
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:52 am

He sounds reasonable.

Maybe he’s from Africa?
He is. Nigeria. What does that have to do with anything?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BtW, Houndy. I’m now starting to play some John Prine and my guitar buddy who I’m working with has me now into Prine, Uncle Tupelo, Guy Clark, and Norman Blake. I’m becoming countrified. :)
:notworthy:

I went to my 50 year high school reunion in September and was a bit taken aback by some of my friends who should know better that hadn't heard of John Prine.

We saw him in Paducah Kentucky and after the show we were hanging out at the square by the Opera House after the show when he came driving by in an old Dodge K car with the back window down and the tips of a couple of fishing poles sticking out the window. A great observer of the American condition and every bit the equal of Dylan and Paul Simon. He was something like 22 years old when he wrote Angel from Montgomery. Your buddy knows his shit, you're in good hands music-wise. I have very few regtets about my path through life but if I had to do it over I wouldn't wait until I was 40 to get started playing music.

One of Guy Clark's songs that is a favorite of mine is New Cut Road, a song about the westward expansion. Bobby Bare had a hit with it some decades ago. Its an oddly structured tune with nine or ten verses and no chorus, easy to play, two chords, or in my case two notes.

Coleman Bonner was a fiddle-playin fool
he was a backwoods rounder and a breaker of mules
Coleman Bonner got a wore out bow
he's been playin two days down the new cut road

Coleman's little sister said
you better act right Coleman
Daddys gone to Louisville he'll be back tonight
he's gonna get another wagon and good pair of mules
and we're all gonna move to Texas, we're just waitin on you Coleman

Coleman's daddy he pulled up in the yard
he said pack up your lives kids its gettin too hard
Kentucky's all right but there's too many people
why just the other day I thought I saw a church steeple

Coleman said daddy don't you worry about me
I'm gonna stay here in Kentucky til the day I be
I"m gonna drink that sour mash I'm gonna race that mare
I got me a woman with fox-red hair

Y'all been moving west since the day you got married
I'm gettin off the wagon I'm too old to be carried
I'm gonna stay here in Kentucky where the bluegrass grows
I'm gonna play it all night down the new cut road

Coleman's daddy said what's it all coming to?
Young people these days are just as stubborn as mules
can't make him go, hes too old for that
its that damned old fiddle and that bowler hat

Coleman's momma sad well let the boy stay
he was raised up solid he can find his own way
As for me well honey I'm with you,
I always thought Kentucky was just passin through

Coleman's little sister she sterted in to cryin
and his daddy shook his hand for the very last time
Coleman's momma said somebody's gotta do it
there wouldn't be no Kentucky if you didn't stick to it Coleman

Coleman Bonner stood there on the porch of their cabin
and watched them all go to Texas in a covered wagon
then he pulled out his fiddle and resined up his bow
and he played a little tune called the New Cut Road
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:04 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:52 am

Maybe he’s from Africa?
Thought he probably was

The virus was pretty much a non-event in Africa and who got vaccinated over there? pretty much nobody.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:06 am

:notworthy:

I went to my 50 year high school reunion in September and was a bit taken aback by some of my friends who should know better that hadn't heard of John Prine.

We saw him in Paducah Kentucky and after the show we were hanging out at the square by the Opera House after the show when he came driving by in an old Dodge K car with the back window down and the tips of a couple of fishing poles sticking out the window. A great observer of the American condition and every bit the equal of Dylan and Paul Simon. He was something like 22 years old when he wrote Angel from Montgomery. Your buddy knows his shit, you're in good hands music-wise. I have very few regtets about my path through life but if I had to do it over I wouldn't wait until I was 40 to get started playing music.

One of Guy Clark's songs that is a favorite of mine is New Cut Road, a song about the westward expansion. Bobby Bare had a hit with it some decades ago. Its an oddly structured tune with nine or ten verses and no chorus, easy to play, two chords, or in my case two notes.

Coleman Bonner was a fiddle-playin fool
he was a backwoods rounder and a breaker of mules
Coleman Bonner got a wore out bow
he's been playin two days down the new cut road

Coleman's little sister said
you better act right Coleman
Daddys gone to Louisville he'll be back tonight
he's gonna get another wagon and good pair of mules
and we're all gonna move to Texas, we're just waitin on you Coleman

Coleman's daddy he pulled up in the yard
he said pack up your lives kids its gettin too hard
Kentucky's all right but there's too many people
why just the other day I thought I saw a church steeple

Coleman said daddy don't you worry about me
I'm gonna stay here in Kentucky til the day I be
I"m gonna drink that sour mash I'm gonna race that mare
I got me a woman with fox-red hair

Y'all been moving west since the day you got married
I'm gettin off the wagon I'm too old to be carried
I'm gonna stay here in Kentucky where the bluegrass grows
I'm gonna play it all night down the new cut road

Coleman's daddy said what's it all coming to?
Young people these days are just as stubborn as mules
can't make him go, hes too old for that
its that damned old fiddle and that bowler hat

Coleman's momma sad well let the boy stay
he was raised up solid he can find his own way
As for me well honey I'm with you,
I always thought Kentucky was just passin through

Coleman's little sister she sterted in to cryin
and his daddy shook his hand for the very last time
Coleman's momma said somebody's gotta do it
there wouldn't be no Kentucky if you didn't stick to it Coleman

Coleman Bonner stood there on the porch of their cabin
and watched them all go to Texas in a covered wagon
then he pulled out his fiddle and resined up his bow
and he played a little tune called the New Cut Road
Awesome stuff, Houndy! I listened to that song a little and it will help me with my rhythm (which sucks :))
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:23 am
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:04 am

Thought he probably was

The virus was pretty much a non-event in Africa and who got vaccinated over there? pretty much nobody.
Even with the old numbers in question it was hardly a “non-event.” Less advanced countries have less resources for accurately tracking disease? Shocker.

https://www.bu.edu/sph/news/articles/20 ... in-africa/
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:29 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:23 am

Thought he probably was

Even with the old numbers in question it was hardly a “non-event.” Less advanced countries have less resources for accurately tracking disease? Shocker.

That would also apply to % of the population that was actually infected which was probably very high

The actual number of deaths from COVID just came in to low for your liking I guess
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:46 am
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:29 am

That would also apply to % of the population that was actually infected which was probably very high

The actual number of deaths from COVID just came in to low for your liking I guess
Even if it was as low as 250,000 it would be tragic. Human life and knocking back the virus to manageable levels are my interest.

I’ll continue to rely upon virologists, epidemiologists, and data analysts rather than conspiracy theorists to report the findings.