Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:07 am
kalm wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:44 am

Rights aren’t unlimited.
Huh?

If we can prohibit the free exercise of religion (1st amendment) then we can also:
  • Give law enforcement the limited ability to search our physical and electronic property without a warrant (4th)
  • Convict the Columbus police officer that shot Ma'Khia Bryant without a trial (5th, 6th, and 7th) (MMW will be happy with this one)
  • Flog criminals on a "limited" basis (8th)
  • Reinstate limited slavery (13th)
  • Limit the voting ability of African American men (15th)
  • Limit the voting ability of women (19th)
Prioritizing rights and trying to set an acceptable level of infringement on the "less important" ones is a fools game that leads to a dark place for all.
Remember now, Biden* and the leftists new slogan is that no amendment is absolute.

:lol: :dunce:

*The more you know meme*
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:24 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:03 pm

During Covid rights have been limited/suspended arbitrarily, based on ideology or political influence. Protests were ok, going to church wasn't (and don't give me a BS argument about outdoors vs indoors, they didn't really understand how much greater the risk of indoor spread was at that time). Going to WalMart or Home Depot was ok going to your corner store wasn't.

The fear that our rights are gradually being infringed upon and eroded is valid. The Patriot Act was a step. The Covid restrictions are another.
Some restrictions HAVE been arbitrary. I also never supported BLM protests (understood why but disagreed with the timing).

Some of it may have been based on politics but that’s hardly a slam dunk. We made mistakes, learned, adjusted and compromised between freedom and public safety. We do this all the time but haven’t had to for this level of threat very often.

It’s still ironic that so many who’ve cried freedom (not singling out you here) demonstrated time and again they were incapable of doing the right thing on their own...delaying a quicker path back to normal. That quicker path was suggested time and again even going as far back as last April but was ignored.
:suspicious: So they quicker path was to shut up and comply? You're really flailing here.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:34 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:26 pm

I don't have the answers but I like to ask questions. Why didn't COVID make hay in India before now? What changed? I think this is worse than the flu and caution is still appropriate but it doesn't appear that draconian measures are necessary.
From what I'm reading, they were under pretty tight lockdown and recently relaxed restrictions. Apparently when they locked down, they didn't have a plan for "essential" business to stay open and everyone ran out of food and supplies.

So after you lockdown without a plan to ensure everyone gets their needed supplies, they opened back up and made a bad situation worse. The living conditions are a breeding ground for illness.

As previously stated, this is just my initial look, so I could be off on this.
And now other countries don't want to send India spare vaccines, and Biden* is going to issue a travel restriction on India...

...'cause you know, he's racist.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:08 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:34 pm

From what I'm reading, they were under pretty tight lockdown and recently relaxed restrictions. Apparently when they locked down, they didn't have a plan for "essential" business to stay open and everyone ran out of food and supplies.

So after you lockdown without a plan to ensure everyone gets their needed supplies, they opened back up and made a bad situation worse. The living conditions are a breeding ground for illness.

As previously stated, this is just my initial look, so I could be off on this.
And now other countries don't want to send India spare vaccines, and Biden* is going to issue a travel restriction on India...

...'cause you know, he's racist.
Xenophobic bastard.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:15 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:36 pm

Yes it has. :coffee:
I think I would be the first person to know, so you're wrong. I would think that if we lost a basic freedom in 2020, that President Trump would've been tarred and feathered. And if so - why are you "conservatives" so far up the ass of a man that took away your freedoms? :suspicious:

As correctly stated, I enjoy the same amount of freedom today than I did last year. I can eat at a restaurant. Walk in a park. Go to an amusement park. I'm attending a festival tonight with music, vendors and people. I can fly on a plane. I can still say what I want. I can still vote. I can still bear arms. The Gov't can't house troops in my home nor can they conduct illegal searches. I still have all my civil rights. Fresh and clean water. Fresh and clean air. Access to healthcare.
Note you didn't ask what rights you lost, you said freedoms.
-Can you go into a full restaurant? can you go without a mask? Have you been able to do so over the entire last year?
-Can you go into a full stadium/arena/theater? Can you go without a mask? Have you been able to do so over the entire last year?
-Can you go into an airport, fly on a plane without a mask? A bus? A train?
-Could you go into a gym all of the past year? Can you go into a full one now? Without a mask?
-A barber shop ALL of the last 13-14 months?
-Outside without being told you need to have a mask all of the past year?
-Inside anywhere in public without wearing a mask?
-Could you go to a church all of this past year, without any restrictions on the # of congregants?
-How many other activities in the past 13-14 months have you been restricted from doing, even if you're not currently restricted now?
And the list goes on and on and on and on...
Last edited by BDKJMU on Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:28 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:20 am

I'm up no one's ass.

You've lost freedom. :nod: :coffee:

You're like that frog in a pot of cool water as the government slowly turns up the heat. :kisswink:
I'm going out on a normal Friday, hit some antique shops, set up at the monthly sports collectors show that starts tomorrow. Watch Bison football Sunday and hopefully a bike ride. Name 1 freedom that has been lost. :popcorn:
Will you be wearing a mask for any of that?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:22 am :lol: @ all these people claiming no freedoms were lost/impacted that also lived through the post-9/11 civil liberties grab by the gubmint. This is the same thing with just a different excuse for gubmint to impinge on our rights and freedoms.

:rofl: @ anyone who doesn't get that.
Yep. For those saying we haven't lost any freedoms over the last year+ is so :dunce: I don't know whether to :lol: or :ohno:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:04 pm
Ibanez wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:15 am
I think I would be the first person to know, so you're wrong. I would think that if we lost a basic freedom in 2020, that President Trump would've been tarred and feathered. And if so - why are you "conservatives" so far up the ass of a man that took away your freedoms? :suspicious:

As correctly stated, I enjoy the same amount of freedom today than I did last year. I can eat at a restaurant. Walk in a park. Go to an amusement park. I'm attending a festival tonight with music, vendors and people. I can fly on a plane. I can still say what I want. I can still vote. I can still bear arms. The Gov't can't house troops in my home nor can they conduct illegal searches. I still have all my civil rights. Fresh and clean water. Fresh and clean air. Access to healthcare.
Can you go into a full restaurant? can you go without a mask? Can you go into a full stadium/arena/theater? Can you go without a mask? Can you go into an airport, fly on a plane without a mask? A bus? A train? Could you go into a gym all of the past year? Can you go into a full one now? Without a mask? A barber shop all of the last 13-14 months? Outside without being told you need to have a mask all of the past year? Inside anywhere in public without wearing a mask? How many other activities in the past 13-14 months have you been restricted from doing, even if you're not currently restricted now?
The MAGAt Bill of Rights
  • Amendment 28 - The right of the people to go to a store, restaurant, stadium, arena, or theater without wearing a mask shall not be limited, prohibited or infringed upon.
  • Amendment 29 - The right of the people to take commercial transportation, be it flights, buses or trains, without wearing a mask shall not be limited, prohibited or infringed upon.
  • Amendment 30 - The right of the people to partake of the services (including happy endings) of barber shops, salons, spas or other enterprises engaged in the wellness and beautification of its customers without wearing a mask shall not be limited, prohibited or infringed upon.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:16 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:04 pm
Can you go into a full restaurant? can you go without a mask? Can you go into a full stadium/arena/theater? Can you go without a mask? Can you go into an airport, fly on a plane without a mask? A bus? A train? Could you go into a gym all of the past year? Can you go into a full one now? Without a mask? A barber shop all of the last 13-14 months? Outside without being told you need to have a mask all of the past year? Inside anywhere in public without wearing a mask? How many other activities in the past 13-14 months have you been restricted from doing, even if you're not currently restricted now?
The MAGAt Bill of Rights
  • Amendment 28 - The right of the people to go to a store, restaurant, stadium, arena, or theater without wearing a mask shall not be limited, prohibited or infringed upon.
  • Amendment 29 - The right of the people to take commercial transportation, be it flights, buses or trains, without wearing a mask shall not be limited, prohibited or infringed upon.
  • Amendment 30 - The right of the people to partake of the services (including happy endings) of barber shops, salons, spas or other enterprises engaged in the wellness and beautification of its customers without wearing a mask shall not be limited, prohibited or infringed upon.
Talking mostly freedoms, not rights.
You left off the right to assemble that I mentioned..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Today is 100 days. So Biden said the mask mandate is over tomorrow:
the first day I’m inaugurated to say I’m going to ask the public for 100 days to mask. Just 100 days to mask, not forever, 100 days.
https://nypost.com/2020/12/03/joe-biden ... l-adviser/
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:29 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:16 pm

The MAGAt Bill of Rights
Talking mostly freedoms, not rights.
You left off the right to assemble that I mentioned..
How did I leave off something that I (and others) mentioned before you?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:50 pm
I never knew either one was offering medical advice. I wouldn't trust either for medical advice. I wouldn't trust the media that used them as medical experts.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:04 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:24 pm

Some restrictions HAVE been arbitrary. I also never supported BLM protests (understood why but disagreed with the timing).

Some of it may have been based on politics but that’s hardly a slam dunk. We made mistakes, learned, adjusted and compromised between freedom and public safety. We do this all the time but haven’t had to for this level of threat very often.

It’s still ironic that so many who’ve cried freedom (not singling out you here) demonstrated time and again they were incapable of doing the right thing on their own...delaying a quicker path back to normal. That quicker path was suggested time and again even going as far back as last April but was ignored.
:suspicious: So they quicker path was to shut up and comply? You're really flailing here.
Of course it was....regardless of your feels on the matter. Not that it was going to happen. But we could have done better. Starting with how serious leadership took it and then greater financial relief guarantees. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Speaking of Rogan...This was an interesting interview. Supports the claim of it starting in the lab (which was US funded) and the Chinese fuck ups. Also provides some information on the overall threat from China including its manipulation of capital markets and mafia style party structure.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:31 am

Of course it was....regardless of your feels on the matter. Not that it was going to happen. But we could have done better. Starting with how serious leadership took it and then greater financial relief guarantees. :coffee:
I rate the "lack of leadership" narrative right up there with Covington Catholic and Russia collusion. Just because Trump didn't scare with his words doesn't negate their actions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:38 am
Speaking of Rogan...This was an interesting interview. Supports the claim of it starting in the lab (which was US funded) and the Chinese fuck ups. Also provides some information on the overall threat from China including its manipulation of capital markets and mafia style party structure.

We did more than fund that lab. We outsourced our Fuck ups in containment to China.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:15 am

I rate the "lack of leadership" narrative right up there with Covington Catholic and Russia collusion. Just because Trump didn't scare with his words doesn't negate their actions.
You and I have different views of leadership, risk assessment, and crisis management.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:20 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:15 am

You and I have different views of leadership, risk assessment, and crisis management.
You don't get mad at McDonald's when you burn your lips on their hot coffee do you? :kisswink:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:12 am
kalm wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:20 am

You don't get mad at McDonald's when you burn your lips on their hot coffee do you? :kisswink:
I don’t get fast food anymore... :coffee:

And if I wanted coffee, it wouldn’t be McDonalds...or Starbucks for that matter. :coffee: :coffee:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:16 pm Are you sure about that?

If many of the "experts" were right, shouldn't there be a much starker difference in case counts and deaths between states with heavy restrictions vs those without? If the naysayers are right and it's little more than the flu, than why are cases in India blowing up? There appears to still be so much about this that we don't know that I am skeptical of anyone who thinks they have definitive answers. I have no problem with being cautious but the lessons of Florida, Texas, etc. would appear to say that restrictions do not need to be draconian. I don't think anyone knows which path would have been quicker.
You and I agree completely in regarding still much to learn. Texas and Florida are intriguing, no doubt and I am prepared to change my mind on whether restrictions were overly draconian. It will take a deeper dive to theorize the factors and I’m not convinced we can close the case yet. I’ll poke around a little this weekend.

We went into this with a wide range of possibilities and are getting smarter about it as we move along. But even just preliminary warnings regarding the potential deaths, compromised hospital systems, and long term effects came to fruition. Some of that was based on what we experienced in 1918. 560,000 is a big number. The fact our economy has not suffered more is also interesting.

I also wonder about the amount of avoidable suffering due to other healthcare that was deferred during the surges in places like Houston, El Paso, Mississippi, and now in India.
There is nothing intriguing about TX and FL.

COVID has always been an “indoor + talking” virus and scads of observant people have long known it.

TX and FL are only intriguing if you think COVID is apolitical and the US media is objective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:50 am
kalm wrote:
You and I agree completely in regarding still much to learn. Texas and Florida are intriguing, no doubt and I am prepared to change my mind on whether restrictions were overly draconian. It will take a deeper dive to theorize the factors and I’m not convinced we can close the case yet. I’ll poke around a little this weekend.

We went into this with a wide range of possibilities and are getting smarter about it as we move along. But even just preliminary warnings regarding the potential deaths, compromised hospital systems, and long term effects came to fruition. Some of that was based on what we experienced in 1918. 560,000 is a big number. The fact our economy has not suffered more is also interesting.

I also wonder about the amount of avoidable suffering due to other healthcare that was deferred during the surges in places like Houston, El Paso, Mississippi, and now in India.
There is nothing intriguing about TX and FL.

COVID has always been an “indoor + talking” virus and scads of observant people have long known it.

TX and FL are only intriguing if you think COVID is apolitical and the US media is objective.

Lack of curiosity noted.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:50 am There is nothing intriguing about TX and FL.

Lack of curiosity noted.
Take your time you’ll catch up eventually

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Perhaps if Pelosi, et. Al., would have put forth packages that benefitted actual AMERICANS instead of Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, etc., etc., we might have stopped it sooner, eh?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:50 am

Perhaps if Pelosi, et. Al., would have put forth packages that benefitted actual AMERICANS instead of Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, etc., etc., we might have stopped it sooner, eh?
:nod: