Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by BDKJMU »

The Biden White House: Liar Liar pants on fire!

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

So is this still a pandemic of the unvaccinated or nah?
And what happened to that winter of death? Or is that still on its way?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:30 am So is this still a pandemic of the unvaccinated or nah?
Pandemic was over in March. Anything else is political BS.

Are we still counting people that die in auto accidents as covid deaths, now that it's good for the anti-vaxer numbers.

And by the way, 80% of the country has 1 shot, 68% are fully vaxed. Daily death are lower than during the Pandemic due to the vax and praxlovud.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:29 am
SDHornet wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:30 am So is this still a pandemic of the unvaccinated or nah?

Are we still counting people that die in auto accidents as covid deaths, now that it's good for the anti-vaxer numbers.

And by the way, 80% of the country has 1 shot, 68% are fully vaxed. Daily death are lower than during the Pandemic due to the vax and praxlovud.
If medical billing can code for it, they will. People for some reason don't understand being a doctor is a job. They work to make money as well. If the government allows them to bill, they will.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:42 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:29 am

If medical billing can code for it, they will. People for some reason don't understand being a doctor is a job. They work to make money as well. If the government allows them to bill, they will.
Thank you for proving my point
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:24 pm :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

Guy gives the medical community a bad name. I sure hope he's making bank.

The booster is a bust. The perfect example was Walensky contracting COIVD at the PEAK on her booster protection (4 weeks), and now the newer variants since her illness are proving the booster worthless. Maybe they should have done more testing than on 8 mice and only measured if antibodies were produced to prove it worked.

It's what you get when you "fix" everyone's immunity with a leaky vaccine. This was all foretold. As I've said many times, the only benefit of the vaccines was to delay people catching COVID to a point where it was less lethal to those in poor metabolic shape, which IS a great thing, but outside of that, the risk vs reward is sketchy.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:18 pm
SDHornet wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:24 pm :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

Guy gives the medical community a bad name. I sure hope he's making bank.

The booster is a bust. The perfect example was Walensky contracting COIVD at the PEAK on her booster protection (4 weeks), and now the newer variants since her illness are proving the booster worthless. Maybe they should have done more testing than on 8 mice and only measured if antibodies were produced to prove it worked.

It's what you get when you "fix" everyone's immunity with a leaky vaccine. This was all foretold. As I've said many times, the only benefit of the vaccines was to delay people catching COVID to a point where it was less lethal to those in poor metabolic shape, which IS a great thing, but outside of that, the risk vs reward is sketchy.
Wow Ja is an idiot. :lol: And the left likes to criticize some of the docs the Trump admin had.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

The more shots you get, the more likely you are to get COVID. Most likely original antigenic sin.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:29 pm The more shots you get, the more likely you are to get COVID. Most likely original antigenic sin.

I don’t think that’s their conclusion.

Also, did it take into account levels of community spread, relaxed mandates, social behavior?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:55 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:29 pm The more shots you get, the more likely you are to get COVID. Most likely original antigenic sin.

Also, did it take into account levels of community spread, relaxed mandates, social behavior?
Their conclusion was that the booster only provided 30% effectiveness, what they referred to as moderate. Pretty shitty actually.

In regards to getting more doses and catching COVID more easily, here is what was said.
The association of increased risk of COVID-19 with higher
numbers of prior vaccine doses in our study, was unexpected.
A simplistic explanation might be that those
who received more doses were more likely to be individuals at higher risk of COVID-19. A small
proportion of individuals may have fit this description. However, the majority of subjects in this study
were generally young individuals and all were eligible to have received at least 3 doses of vaccine by the
study start date, and which they had every opportunity to do. Therefore, those who received fewer than 3
doses (>45% of individuals in the study) were not those ineligible to receive the vaccine, but those who
chose not to follow the CDC’s recommendations on remaining updated with COVID-19 vaccination, and
one could reasonably expect these individuals to have been more likely to have exhibited higher risk-
taking behavior.
I've been covering this aspect for months. It can happen in unvaccinated people who catch a really bad case. The immune system gets trained. The mRNA vaccine was hard on a lot of people and thus the immune system was trained to deal with the ancestral strain.

I'm hoping you realize I don't think this is too much of a problem. I can't go around saying one's immunity is elegant and complex on one hand and then say it's too stupid to put it's initial exposure behind it. People's immunity will learn and adapt.

In regards to your other question, I'll have to answer that when I get on the computer. What I posted took me too long on my stupid phone, but they tried to match cohorts as best they could.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

He wasn’t suppose to say that!
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:28 pm He wasn’t suppose to say that!
No kidding. Internal polling must have been showing something bad for him to start talking common sense.

In fairness, I never minded wearing masks around those truly vulnerable, just wasn't happy with how they went overboard on this topic, as with all the others.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Interesting. The move from IgG3 to IgG4 usually means your body is trying not to over react to a stimulus. Like how your body deals with a constant offender like an allergy. The immune system is toning back the response.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciimmunol.ade2798
Class switch towards non-inflammatory, spike-specific IgG4 antibodies after repeated SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccination
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Been reading a guy I like who tends to shit on anything that seems sensational and his take on this is about the same.

Essentially, there are no more susceptible unvaxxed and what we are seeing is probably just the vax wearing off. I said it a long time ago, when I wasn't concerned over claims of the "pandemic of the unvaccinated" because it was always going to be that way, until the vaccinated got cleaned out and now all that is left are those who only have vaccine immunity.

This is simply the flip side and doesn't really say much other than it was always going to be this way. The big question is, "Did those who were susceptible to increased illness with COVID due to comorbidities make improvements in their lives or not?"
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:27 am

Been reading a guy I like who tends to shit on anything that seems sensational and his take on this is about the same.

Essentially, there are no more susceptible unvaxxed and what we are seeing is probably just the vax wearing off. I said it a long time ago, when I wasn't concerned over claims of the "pandemic of the unvaccinated" because it was always going to be that way, until the vaccinated got cleaned out and now all that is left are those who only have vaccine immunity.

This is simply the flip side and doesn't really say much other than it was always going to be this way. The big question is, "Did those who were susceptible to increased illness with COVID due to comorbidities make improvements in their lives or not?"
What about China and what about the increasing concerns over long haulers here?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:57 am

In regards to China, you're seeing the same thing with Australia. Simply no where to hide from the virus, especially now that the R0 is anywhere from 11-18...meaning one person can infect 11-18 others. That's a long way from where it originally started. I'm betting China isn't as obese as Americans and won't have many deaths as well, because COVID is less lethal now.

I'm not sure what to think on long COVID yet. I remember getting a yearly spring cold back when I was cycling heavily and always remembering how I was still coughing up shit two weeks later and also felt like my fitness level declined, so I completely understand what people are saying about lasting effects. The issue in my opinion, is that the two large studies I read, pretty much showed long COVID symptoms were more prevalent in those who DID NOT have COVID. I think there is something there, I just don't know what yet.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:28 am

In regards to China, you're seeing the same thing with Australia. Simply no where to hide from the virus, especially now that the R0 is anywhere from 11-18...meaning one person can infect 11-18 others. That's a long way from where it originally started. I'm betting China isn't as obese as Americans and won't have many deaths as well, because COVID is less lethal now.

I'm not sure what to think on long COVID yet. I remember getting a yearly spring cold back when I was cycling heavily and always remembering how I was still coughing up shit two weeks later and also felt like my fitness level declined, so I completely understand what people are saying about lasting effects. The issue in my opinion, is that the two large studies I read, pretty much showed long COVID symptoms were more prevalent in those who DID NOT have COVID. I think there is something there, I just don't know what yet.
EG:

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

I doubt the death rate has anything to do with obesity. Covid has evolved into a less lethal variant. Immunity after having covid is approx 3 months. Local vax sites advise that you don't need a booster until 3 months after covid, because you have antibodies.

Our son now has covid for the second time. He has never been vaxxed.

Obesity is another disease that is difficult to treat. Much of it is hereditary. Most people that have had the stomach surgery tend to gain the weight back. Same with the biggest loser participants.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:05 am

I doubt the death rate has anything to do with obesity. Covid has evolved into a less lethal variant. Immunity after having covid is approx 3 months. Local vax sites advise that you don't need a booster until 3 months after covid, because you have antibodies.

Our son now has covid for the second time. He has never been vaxxed.

Obesity is another disease that is difficult to treat. Much of it is hereditary. Most people that have had the stomach surgery tend to gain the weight back. Same with the biggest loser participants.
Going off of the below article...but did want to say that if a person is overweight or obese, staying active certainly helps that person regardless of weight. I was a personal trainer for five years and over that time, saw many people who were overweight, but could exercise their asses off.

Those aren't the people I would worry about. I more worried about the person who has high blood pressure and insulin issues due to lack of exercise and weight gain. Essentially the sedentary overweight and obese crowd.

In line with what you are saying. It's one thing to be overweight due to genetics, but it's a totally different issue if you got there from poor diet (high in simple sugars) and lack of exercise.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covid-c ... obese.html
CDC study finds about 78% of people hospitalized for Covid were overweight or obese
An overwhelming majority of people who have been hospitalized, needed a ventilator or died from Covid-19 have been overweight or obese, the CDC said in a new study Monday.

Among 148,494 adults who received a Covid-19 diagnosis during an emergency department or inpatient visit at 238 U.S. hospitals from March to December, 71,491 were hospitalized. Of those who were admitted, 27.8% were overweight and 50.2% were obese, according to the CDC report. Overweight is defined as having a body mass index of 25 or more, while obesity is defined as having a BMI of 30 or more.

The agency found the risk for hospitalizations, ICU admissions and deaths was lowest among individuals with BMIs under 25. The risk of severe illness “sharply increased,” however, as BMIs rose, particularly among people 65 and older, the agency said.

Just over 42% of the U.S. population was considered obese in 2018, according to the agency’s most recent statistics.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:54 pm The Biden White House: Liar Liar pants on fire!

With respet to the first story: The guy said that if they are up to date on their vaccinations AND people who do get it get treated with the medications available right now.

The second thing is about the majority of COVID-19 deaths being among people who received at least the primary series. It is not saying the majority is among people who are up to date on their vaccination. Note that, as of August 31, 2022, 68% of the population had received the primary series while only 33% had been boosted per recommendations.

if you actually read the article about vaccinated people now making up the majority, you will see that the point is that effectiveness wanes and you need to get boosted.

There is nothing in the second story that contradicts what the guy in the first story said.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:55 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:54 pm The Biden White House: Liar Liar pants on fire!

With respet to the first story: The guy said that if they are up to date on their vaccinations AND people who do get it get treated with the medications available right now.

The second thing is about the majority of COVID-19 deaths being among people who received at least the primary series. It is not saying the majority is among people who are up to date on their vaccination. Note that, as of August 31, 2022, 68% of the population had received the primary series while only 33% had been boosted per recommendations.

if you actually read the article about vaccinated people now making up the majority, you will see that the point is that effectiveness wanes and you need to get boosted.

There is nothing in the second story that contradicts what the guy in the first story said.
Doesn't matter. They all got liquid in the arm. You don't get to pick the parameters to suit your narrative. They have NEVER calculated this way before. 2 shots +14 days, within certain time frames afterwards. Totally made up for Covid.

It's fine if this is how they want to consider protection moving forward, but you don't get to completely change metrics to your advantage and say it's a good thing. Liquid in the arm is VACCINATED. Everyone knows it's ridiculous to chase Covid zero with nonstop shots.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:28 pm He wasn’t suppose to say that!
He was referring to masks not working AS well as another intervention. He was not saying masks don't work.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:11 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:55 pm

Doesn't matter. They all got liquid in the arm. You don't get to pick the parameters to suit your narrative. They have NEVER calculated this way before. 2 shots +14 days, within certain time frames afterwards. Totally made up for Covid.

It's fine if this is how they want to consider protection moving forward, but you don't get to completely change metrics to your advantage and say it's a good thing. Liquid in the arm is VACCINATED. Everyone knows it's ridiculous to chase Covid zero with nonstop shots.
Again: The article is not saying that the majority of deaths are among people who are up to date on their vaccinations. Another thing to bear in mind is that the age groups that are at highest risk are also disproportionately vaccinated. The site i was using stopped updating after August 31. But, as of then, 95% of the people 65 and older were had been vaccinated. The article involved includes this quote:
Being unvaccinated is still a major risk factor for dying from covid-19. But efficacy wanes over time, and an analysis out last week from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention highlights the need to get regular booster shots to keep one’s risk of death from the coronavirus low, especially for the elderly.
The point of the article is not at all "vaccines don't work." It's that effectiveness wanes and you need to stay up to date per recommendations.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

That outcome in the study is interesting but the bottom line of the study is that people who got vaccinated per recommendations, which at this point is receiving the bivalent booster, had a lower risk of infection. Not by as much as we would like, but lower. Another interesting thing is that, in order to be eligible to receive the bivalent booster, you have to have received the initial series. So, for mRNA recipients, that means getting the bivalent booster was the third shot. So, at that point, people who had received at least three shots had lower risk than people who had received no shots.

And of course there is the severe disease thing. Here is a study estimating that the risk of COVID-19 hospitalization is cut by 84% (as compared to unvaccinated individuals) by getting the bivalent vaccine: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm715152e2.htm .
Could I ever be a star?