AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:21 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:32 am

This just illustrates Covid was more deadly per case, and that won't change with vaccines. There will be less cases and therefore less death with the vaccines. During May the 7 day moving average has dropped from 726 per day to 648 per day.
Covid was more contagious and more deadly than the flu.

Hoaxers seem to believe that the flu happened as normal and that flu deaths were just counted as Covid deaths, inflating the number. It's seems like common sense to me that flu cases and deaths were lower because of masks, social distancing, no school, etc. but who wants to let common sense get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
Has there been ANY study that has shown that masks actually helped? Because all the anecdotal evidence (sorry JSO, maybe the wrong word here) shows that they really haven't made much of an impact....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:21 pm
kalm wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:47 am

We’re actually further down that road than just one year. But I know...politics and such. Yawn.

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-car ... 9-vaccines
Is this a "they didn't build that" attempt to minimize credit for the vaccine makers?

And what does it have to do with Merkel being right when she criticizes Trump but wrong when she defends intellectual property rights?
Here’s a really good summary of many off these issues. Not to dismiss the importance of innovation and patent protection, but pardon me if I don’t feel sorry for big pharma or their bought and paid for development and IP support. :|

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/i ... 0521439937
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

I have the attention span of a gnat. That podcast is unlistenable.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:12 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:21 am

Covid was more contagious and more deadly than the flu.

Hoaxers seem to believe that the flu happened as normal and that flu deaths were just counted as Covid deaths, inflating the number. It's seems like common sense to me that flu cases and deaths were lower because of masks, social distancing, no school, etc. but who wants to let common sense get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
Has there been ANY study that has shown that masks actually helped? Because all the anecdotal evidence (sorry JSO, maybe the wrong word here) shows that they really haven't made much of an impact....
One quick google search and I found these and more
Kansas Mandate Link
The CDC and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment analyzed trends in county-level cases before the mandate went into effect and two months afterward. Though rates were considerably higher in the 24 counties that required masks, over the two-month study period they brought the growth of cases under control and even reduced them. The counties that didn't require masks continued to see their cases increase.

Hartford Healthcare Link
A study released this week in Health Affairs, a peer-reviewed healthcare journal, found that masks prevented as many as 230,000 to 450,000 COVID-19 cases by May 22 in the 15 states, including Connecticut, and the District of Columbia that adopted mask mandates early in the pandemic. The fast-track version of the study, “Community Use Of Face Masks And COVID-19: Evidence From A Natural Experiment Of State Mandates In The United States,” appeared in the journal June 16 ahead of the final, accepted version.

Yet they said the number of potential cases averted, up to 450,000, should be viewed cautiously because there was no way to measure compliance with, or enforcement of, the mask mandate in each state.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:36 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:12 am

Kansas Mandate Link
The CDC and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment analyzed trends in county-level cases before the mandate went into effect and two months afterward. Though rates were considerably higher in the 24 counties that required masks, over the two-month study period they brought the growth of cases under control and even reduced them. The counties that didn't require masks continued to see their cases increase.

Hartford Healthcare Link
A study released this week in Health Affairs, a peer-reviewed healthcare journal, found that masks prevented as many as 230,000 to 450,000 COVID-19 cases by May 22 in the 15 states, including Connecticut, and the District of Columbia that adopted mask mandates early in the pandemic. The fast-track version of the study, “Community Use Of Face Masks And COVID-19: Evidence From A Natural Experiment Of State Mandates In The United States,” appeared in the journal June 16 ahead of the final, accepted version.

Yet they said the number of potential cases averted, up to 450,000, should be viewed cautiously because there was no way to measure compliance with, or enforcement of, the mask mandate in each state.
Now compare California and Florida. Because they can in no way prove a causal relationship between wearing masks and the shape/magnitude of the case curves.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:51 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:36 pm

Kansas Mandate Link

Hartford Healthcare Link

Now compare California and Florida. Because they can in no way prove a causal relationship between wearing masks and the shape/magnitude of the case curves.
40 million people versus 21 million people. Florida is still producing more cases per day than California.

Both peaked in early January.

7 day moving average is 48 deaths for California, 64 deaths per day in Florida.
New cases, 7 day moving average 1747 for California, 3690 for Florida
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:01 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:51 pm

40 million people versus 21 million people. Florida is still producing more cases per day than California.

Whoops! :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:06 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:01 pm

CA Deaths/Million: 1,578
FL Deaths/Million: 1,671
TX Deaths/Million: 1,767

Almost statistically insignificant.

And for comparison purposes, two of the most draconian shutdown states:

NY Deaths/million: 2,731
NJ Deaths/million: 2,914

There's no "whoops" there. If you've been to both states (FL, CA) recently (I have) you see the incredible difference in their economies because of the way they handled the virus. Literally the ONLY thing holding back FL is the cruise lines continuing to be shut down. Again, there's no proof of a causal relationship between mask wearing and the virus curves. There IS proof, however, that the economic destruction wrought by the shutdowns is real, and in many cases permanent and in most cases, more damaging.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:56 pm

There's no "whoops" there. If you've been to both states (FL, CA) recently (I have) you see the incredible difference in their economies because of the way they handled the virus. Literally the ONLY thing holding back FL is the cruise lines continuing to be shut down. Again, there's no proof of a causal relationship between mask wearing and the virus curves. There IS proof, however, that the economic destruction wrought by the shutdowns is real, and in many cases permanent and in most cases, more damaging.
CA is coming down from the peak faster than Florida, and so is New York and Jersey. All their 7 day averages are coming down faster than Florida.
Last edited by Gil Dobie on Wed May 12, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:07 pm

CA is coming down from the peak faster than Florida, and so is New York and Jersey. All their 7 day averages are coming down faster than Florida.
Well they are coming down from a MUCH higher number, so yeah. I would fucking hope so.

Championing the success of the two worst performing states in the country doesn't help your case.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:11 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:07 pm

Well they are coming down from a MUCH higher number, so yeah. I would fucking hope so.

Championing the success of the two worst performing states in the country doesn't help your case.
Their 7 day averages are below Florida's. You asked about them and I replied.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Yeah..what’s a few 10 thousand deaths anyway?

BTW since were throwing around loose economic numbers, Cali is operating at a surplus, and Seattle’s economy is one of the best coming out of this.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:18 pm

BTW since were throwing around loose economic numbers, Cali is operating at a surplus, and Seattle’s economy is one of the best coming out of this.
No it's the mask fault for the so called economic damage? :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

A few 10,000's? Hardly.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:24 pm

Gil, are you honestly questioning whether there was catastrophic economic damage?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:16 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:11 pm

yes. You did. And that is like saying Obama did a better job with unemployment because he started at a higher number than Trump.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:32 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:24 pm

Gil, are you honestly questioning whether there was catastrophic economic damage?
I'm saying we were talking mask and you are trying to change the subject to lockdowns and the economy.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:34 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:32 pm

I'm saying we were talking mask and you are trying to change the subject to lockdowns and the economy.
And I'm saying you can't discuss masks in a vacuum. Nor can you prove their efficacy.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:33 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:16 pm

yes. You did. And that is like saying Obama did a better job with unemployment because he started at a higher number than Trump.
No, that's not what I'm saying. Those states had higher totals, but the current 7-day averages for cases and deaths are below Florida's. Florida's numbers are going down slower than states that had mask mandates.

April 12, Florida 48 deaths per day, 7 day average, today 64
April 12, California 98, 7 day average, today 48

Both peaked in January.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Cali has a surplus because of strong market returns - Thank You Trump!

Is Seattle doing well because of the restrictions or is it doing well because it's leading industries weren't as impacted by the pandemic and a larger portion of its labor force was able to work from home than other cities?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:33 pm

Cali has a surplus because of strong market returns - Thank You Trump!

Is Seattle doing well because of the restrictions or is it doing well because it's leading industries weren't as impacted by the pandemic and a larger portion of its labor force was able to work from home than other cities?
That’s kind of the point. Hence my comment if “loose economic indicators”. Tie it in to all the variables of pandemic progression and the facts get muddied.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Minnesota suicides dropped in 2020.

link

The report shows 723 Minnesotans died by suicide in 2020, which is down from the record-high 830 suicide deaths in Minnesota in 2019.

“It’s a good sign to see that number drop, but 723 preventable deaths are 723 too many,” MDH Commissioner Jan Malcolm said in Wednesday's news release. “We are not yet sure what impacts the COVID-19 pandemic had on this trend, but it is clear that we must continue to support people and communities to address the causes of suicide.”
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:47 am
houndawg wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:23 am

Fuck that noise, I got mine. If you catch it from me thats not my problem, dumbass. :tothehand:
I'm not worried about catching it (probably had it last year). The concern is dying from it, and given the demographic I'm in, chances of that for me are miniscule at worst.

Math, get some. :coffee:
Had plenty. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:11 am Minnesota suicides dropped in 2020.

link

The report shows 723 Minnesotans died by suicide in 2020, which is down from the record-high 830 suicide deaths in Minnesota in 2019.

“It’s a good sign to see that number drop, but 723 preventable deaths are 723 too many,” MDH Commissioner Jan Malcolm said in Wednesday's news release. “We are not yet sure what impacts the COVID-19 pandemic had on this trend, but it is clear that we must continue to support people and communities to address the causes of suicide.”
Most of them were really just the flu.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:32 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:11 am Minnesota suicides dropped in 2020.

link

Most of them were really just the flu.
Aren't suicide statistics muddied just like economic numbers? Do dropping suicide numbers prove that pandemic lockdowns and restrictions didn't impact mental health? Or do they prove nothing because we don't know how much of the drop is due to concerted efforts to raise awareness of mental health issues and encourage people to reach out if they needed help?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm