SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by SeattleGriz »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:01 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:00 am Our youngest finally started regular school and 5 days in, he's already in 14 day quarantine. Came in contact with someone who tested positive. Can't find out what sort of positive. Was it a random asymptomatic person that got a positive from a rapid kit or...

This is going to be another fucked up year for those with disabilities.
My kids' class is closed due to an asymptomatic positive test from a teacher. I told this to my work and they said come in on your regular schedule if you have no symptoms.

I then filed for paid leave and have some time off to enjoy with the fam.

:lol:
Enjoy the time!
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Senior doctors and a marketing director at in North Carolina discussed inflating COVID-19 numbers by counting recovered patients as active COVID patients.

"We need to be… more scary to the public… If you don't get vaccinated, you know you're going to die."

https://nationalfile.com/doctor-wants-t ... ng-to-die/
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

HI54UNI wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:52 pm Senior doctors and a marketing director at in North Carolina discussed inflating COVID-19 numbers by counting recovered patients as active COVID patients.

"We need to be… more scary to the public… If you don't get vaccinated, you know you're going to die."

She specializes in Geriatric Medicine, so Covid is probably killing her patients. The scare tactics on both sides of the aisle have polarized Covid so much, that no one is going to change their minds, because what they see on the internet is true to them.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:52 pm Senior doctors and a marketing director at in North Carolina discussed inflating COVID-19 numbers by counting recovered patients as active COVID patients.

Unreal.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:02 pm

Unreal.
Is anyone surprised by this?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:20 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:02 pm
Unreal.
Is anyone surprised by this?
Unfortunately no.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

I watched the video. Isn’t she talking about including those who were hospitalized with Covid that have left the Covid floor but are still occupying a bed?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Meanwhile…in Northeast Washid…

Idaho is helping to push WA hospitals to the brink.
At a time when Washington State hospitals are delaying procedures and struggling with their own high caseloads, some leaders in the state see Idaho’s outsourcing of Covid patients as a troubling example of how the failure to aggressively confront the virus in one state can deepen a crisis in another.

On the Washington side of the border, residents must wear masks when gathering indoors, students who are exposed to Covid face quarantine requirements, and many workers are under vaccination orders. On the Idaho side, none of those precautions are in place.

“It’s ridiculous,” said Cassie Sauer, the president of the Washington State Hospital Association. “If you have your health care system melting down, the idea that you would not immediately issue a mask mandate is just bizarre. They need to be doing everything they can possibly do.”

Last week, Idaho took the extraordinary step of moving its hospitals in the northern part of the state to crisis standards of care — the threshold at which facilities facing overwhelming caseloads are authorized to ration their resources, perhaps withholding or delaying optimal care for some patients.

Idaho now has more than 600 patients hospitalized with Covid-19, about 20 percent higher than a previous peak in December. Only 40 percent of the state’s residents are fully vaccinated, one of the lowest rates in the nation, compared with 61 percent in Washington State, one of the highest.

The strain on health care facilities is particularly evident in northern Idaho, where the vaccination rate is even lower; the area just hosted the North Idaho State Fair, and in a region where there is deep wariness of government, no mask orders or other strategies were adopted to halt the spread of the virus. At Kootenai Health in Coeur d’Alene, a conference room has been converted to house excess patients.

With the Delta strain of the coronavirus sweeping the nation, Washington State has faced its own challenges and record hospitalizations, especially in areas on the eastern side of the state where vaccination rates are lower. This week, that state, too, began talking openly about the possibility that crisis standards of care could become necessary

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/13/us/c ... 8zGtXO4BKM
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

kalm wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:07 am

I watched the video. Isn’t she talking about including those who were hospitalized with Covid that have left the Covid floor but are still occupying a bed?
Yes. And the use of ellipses in the quote hide a lot of context in between. National File basically created a new sentence.

Good example of misinformation though.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:34 am

Yes. And the use of ellipses in the quote hide a lot of context in between. National File basically created a new sentence.

“So I just want to say we have to be more blunt, we have to be more forceful, we have to see something coming out: ‘If you don’t get vaccinated, you know you’re going to die,'” Rudyk said, laughing. “I mean let’s just be really blunt with these people.”

If you don't get vaccinated, there's a .03% chance you're going to die. Talk about misinformation. She's the fucking queen of it.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:59 am

“So I just want to say we have to be more blunt, we have to be more forceful, we have to see something coming out: ‘If you don’t get vaccinated, you know you’re going to die,'” Rudyk said, laughing. “I mean let’s just be really blunt with these people.”

If you don't get vaccinated, there's a .03% chance you're going to die. Talk about misinformation. She's the fucking queen of it.
Dude, if that's the quote then the irony of Trip calling out misinformation is just too rich. Even with the ellipses, the headline basically said the same thing the whole quote said.

Trip - why try obscuring that quote and saying it was fake news? :ohno:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Holy crap. Don't know where I got 6 comorbidities per COVID death. Maybe that was the original data sets... picking off the low hanging fruit first.

Anywho. Latest CDC stats.

78.1% of TOTAL DEATHS are over the age of 65.
94.7% of TOTAL DEATHS are over the age of 50.
6% of TOTAL DEATHS are attributed to Covid only.
94% of TOTAL DEATHS have an average of 2.9 co-morbidities (12/6/20).
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Normally I would be somewhat skeptical of a site like this but the hospital issued a statement about the video and news outlets are reporting on it.

https://www.wect.com/2021/09/10/novant- ... t-numbers/
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:40 am

Normally I would be somewhat skeptical of a site like this but the hospital issued a statement about the video and news outlets are reporting on it.

https://www.wect.com/2021/09/10/novant- ... t-numbers/
HEY! My sister in law is a nurse there. They are completely overwhelmed and under staffed.

Doesn't excuse the fear mongering.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:40 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:59 am

Dude, if that's the quote then the irony of Trip calling out misinformation is just too rich. Even with the ellipses, the headline basically said the same thing the whole quote said.

No, it's not the same thing taken in the context of the conversation. It also makes it more sinister.

Instead of being a quote about being blunt with people to put legit fear into them because they aren't getting that this is a deadly virus, the quote is edited as to make it seem like they're scaring people for no purpose other than to scare them. The context of why is completely missing with the ellipses.

Good for the hospital to send out that statement. It's exactly what I got out of the entire video, not this weird sinister motive.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:11 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:40 am

No, it's not the same thing taken in the context of the conversation. It also makes it more sinister.

Instead of being a quote about being blunt with people to put legit fear into them because they aren't getting that this is a deadly virus, the quote is edited as to make it seem like they're scaring people for no purpose other than to scare them. The context of why is completely missing with the ellipses.
They ARE, in fact, scaring people for no purpose other than to scare them. 99.7% of people survive this virus. The "if you don't get vaccinated you're going to die" statement is pure fucking fear mongering at its finest.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

That's great AZ, minus the understanding of how mortality rates work which I've explained in a prior post. (aka. not everyone has a 99.7% chance of survival).

But anyways, I'm not fond of the US having lost 2 out of 1000 people (so far) in less than two years because of Covid. We also know it's probably closer to 3 out of 1000 Americans because of the excess deaths in the country which coincide with Covid's rise.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:24 am That's great AZ, minus the understanding of how mortality rates work which I've explained in a prior post. (aka. not everyone has a 99.7% chance of survival).

But anyways, I'm not fond of the US having lost 2 out of 1000 people (so far) in less than two years because of Covid. We also know it's probably closer to 3 out of 1000 Americans because of the excess deaths in the country which coincide with Covid's rise.
Funny you accuse somebody else of not understanding things and then arbitrarily spit out your theory as fact. :suspicious:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

What theory, that we've lost 2 of 1000? Not a theory. Fact.

3 out of 1000 is not fact and I don't claim it as such (thus the word "probably"), but it's not hard to make the connection with excess deaths. Time will tell of course, but my one friend at the NIH (PhD doing Covid research, specifically treating long-Covid) thinks we're at ~1,000,000 dead. But it's not fact.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:49 am What theory, that we've lost 2 of 1000? Not a theory. Fact.

3 out of 1000 is not fact and I don't claim it as such (thus the word "probably"), but it's not hard to make the connection with excess deaths. Time will tell of course, but my one researcher friend in the NIH (PhD doing Covid research, specifically treating long-Covid) thinks we're at ~1,000,000 dead. But it's not fact.
It's also fair to speculate that many of the people with Covid listed as cause of death, did not die from the virus.

"We also know it's probably" is one of the weakest statements somebody could make. :coffee:
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:01 pm

She specializes in Geriatric Medicine, so Covid is probably killing her patients. The scare tactics on both sides of the aisle have polarized Covid so much, that no one is going to change their minds, because what they see on the internet is true to them.
This is probably why politics stayed out of medicine all those years.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:58 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:49 am What theory, that we've lost 2 of 1000? Not a theory. Fact.

3 out of 1000 is not fact and I don't claim it as such (thus the word "probably"), but it's not hard to make the connection with excess deaths. Time will tell of course, but my one researcher friend in the NIH (PhD doing Covid research, specifically treating long-Covid) thinks we're at ~1,000,000 dead. But it's not fact.
It's also fair to speculate that many of the people with Covid listed as cause of death, did not die from the virus.

"We also know it's probably" is one of the weakest statements somebody could make. :coffee:
Regardless it’s still killed a shit ton of people, would have killed a shit ton more without interventions, would have a killed a shit ton less if more people would have taken those interventions seriously.

Then there’s compromised healthcare systems, long term effects which we’re still learning about, and the the fact, it’s still here and probably for years to come.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

You are free to believe what you want to believe.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:42 pm

You are free to believe what you want to believe.
Thanks Gil. That's very kind of you. Likewise. :thumb:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I'm just curious but why do you say that? Is every government in the world lying? Our stats are not far off from other developed nations....even better than some.

Statistically, there's almost no reason to think an unusually large amount of people didn't actually die from the virus that it would change things significantly. There is good research which shows the mortality rate is likely smaller (because the infection rate is higher), but in the end the number of dead attributable to the virus is almost assuredly higher, not lower.