Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:47 pm
Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:56 pm

As a person whose facial hair has reached art status, my words of encouragement to somebody that suggest this plan would be to tell them to "Get Bent".

And twirl my mustache as they are digesting those words. :coffee:
I'm not saying I'd advise you to shave or not, just pointing it out. I know in places where I've worked and places that had either N95 masks or half/full face respirators, it was a requirement for employment that people who had to wear them had to be clean shaven. Frankly, the things don't work as intended in the presence of facial hair.
My dad was such a person for 35 years (and I was for 8 years). I am well aware of the reason why that is a requirement (and I agree with it).

For this topic, I would take my chances with the people policing such a policy. If we are at the level of mandating facial hair or not, there are other topics of discussion that need to be address first.

Besides, I identify as Norse and a beard is part of my perceived religion. :kisswink:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:13 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:47 pm
I'm not saying I'd advise you to shave or not, just pointing it out. I know in places where I've worked and places that had either N95 masks or half/full face respirators, it was a requirement for employment that people who had to wear them had to be clean shaven. Frankly, the things don't work as intended in the presence of facial hair.
My dad was such a person for 35 years (and I was for 8 years). I am well aware of the reason why that is a requirement (and I agree with it).

For this topic, I would take my chances with the people policing such a policy. If we are at the level of mandating facial hair or not, there are other topics of discussion that need to be address first.

Besides, I identify as Norse and a beard is part of my perceived religion. :kisswink:
Aesir or Vanir?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:18 pm
Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:13 pm

Aesir or Vanir?
I straddle the fence. :D
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I'm shocked. Boris Johnson faces a confidence vote due to his duplicitous nature in handling Covid and BAM! Almost all restrictions are dropped. Covids over! Gotta get a good vote.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Border trucker vaccine mandate goes into effect Jan 22nd, but already talks of it collapsing as food and auto parts distribution will be most affected.

Me thinks they fold on this as well.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:53 am
bobbythekidd wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:24 pm

Alternatively, what you said could be written: If we all got the jab it was designed for, we would be much less likely to see these variants.

Our slow adoption and resistance to the jab allowed this.
Well, considering that the omicron variant (as well as the delta before it) didn't originate in the US, it is a little disingenuous to say that if we all had the vaccine we wouldn't be seeing these variants. You would need everyone in the world to get the vaccine at the same time (or close enough) to think you could stop the emergence of variants. And considering that these new variants have been coming at the rate of 6-8 months after each other, it's a pretty tall task, potentially impossible, to vaccinate everyone in the world in that time period. Right now, the best estimate is 3-4 years to get everyone vaccinated. We could have, in that time, at least 3-4 more variants that the vaccine wouldn't be terribly effective for. It's politically expedient to criticize anti-vaxxers for the current variant, but it's also not scientifically correct.
They’ve been coming at a rate of about 3 months after each other. After the original China variant, the 5 ‘variants of comcern’ (Alpha, Beta, Gama, Delta, Omicron) have been detected over about a 14 month period between 9/20 and 11/21). Feb will be about the time for a new variant to be discovered somewhere..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:45 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:53 am

Well, considering that the omicron variant (as well as the delta before it) didn't originate in the US, it is a little disingenuous to say that if we all had the vaccine we wouldn't be seeing these variants. You would need everyone in the world to get the vaccine at the same time (or close enough) to think you could stop the emergence of variants. And considering that these new variants have been coming at the rate of 6-8 months after each other, it's a pretty tall task, potentially impossible, to vaccinate everyone in the world in that time period. Right now, the best estimate is 3-4 years to get everyone vaccinated. We could have, in that time, at least 3-4 more variants that the vaccine wouldn't be terribly effective for. It's politically expedient to criticize anti-vaxxers for the current variant, but it's also not scientifically correct.
They’ve been coming at a rate of about 3 months after each other. After the original China variant, the 5 ‘variants of comcern’ (Alpha, Beta, Gama, Delta, Omicron) have been detected over about a 14 month period between 9/20 and 11/21). Feb will be about the time for a new variant to be discovered somewhere..
Omicron came from Beta, which was really wierd, as Beta pretty much burned itself out awhile ago. That's a big reason they thought it came from an immunosuppressed HIV patient. Apparently stewing internally for months. On a separate note, Beta had learned how to evade the vaccines as well.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:04 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:18 pm

Do you have a better source than the Mayo Clinic? I'll take their word over the right-wing and left-wing media and social media.

Myth: The COVID-19 vaccine is not safe because it was rapidly developed and tested.
Fact: Many pharmaceutical companies invested significant resources into quickly developing a vaccine for COVID-19 because of the world-wide impact of the pandemic. The emergency situation warranted an emergency response but that does not mean that companies bypassed safety protocols or didn't perform adequate testing.

Currently, several COVID-19 vaccines are in clinical trials. The FDA continues to review the results of these trials before approving or authorizing COVID-19 vaccines for use. But because there is an urgent need for COVID-19 vaccines and the FDA's vaccine approval process can take months to years, the FDA first gave emergency use authorization to COVID-19 vaccines based on less data than is normally required. The data must show that the vaccines are safe and effective before the FDA can give emergency use authorization or approval.

According to Gregory Poland, M.D., an infectious diseases expert and head of Mayo Clinic’s Vaccine Research Group., the vaccines are saving lives, preserving health and preventing more infections. "This is a spectacular human accomplishment. Think of this from 18 months ago or so when this was identified to having hundreds of millions, billions when you look worldwide that have received a vaccine and the speed at which the science has been able to move. Amazing."
- Mayo Clinic
What’s also been proven, through the administration of several hundred million doses, is that is really doesn’t do much (unless you’re willing to get a booster shot every 3-4 months). And that’s without any understanding of the long term effects on the human body.
:coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:21 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:04 am

What’s also been proven, through the administration of several hundred million doses, is that is really doesn’t do much (unless you’re willing to get a booster shot every 3-4 months). And that’s without any understanding of the long term effects on the human body.
The chances are very low for long term effects, being the vaccine is gone from your system within days or weeks. I'm not saying people should be required to get the vaccine, I'm saying it's there if you want it, but don't push rumors, half-truths and false info, because someone that needs it, may believe the fake news, hesitate, and end up in the hospital on a vent, versus being sick with flu-like symptoms. If we don't fix this now, you all will be dealing with the same crap when you all are older. Speak to your Doc and make your decision.
There is no way of knowing this at this time. Time will tell.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:05 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:28 pm

From a university of Missouri link

History tells us that severe side effects are extremely rare, and if they do occur, they usually happen within the first two months.
We have history with these vaccines?
We don't. Gil is full of shit.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:15 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:23 pm

With this type of vaccine,yes.
The vaccine was tested so thoroughly that it didn’t work anything like they thought it would work. They were wrong about it’s longevity, they were wrong about it’s effectiveness, they were wrong about it’s ability to prevent you from getting infected, they were wrong about a shitload.

So you’ll excuse me if i don’t have blind faith that there aren’t some long term consequences from these rapidly produced vaccines that we reaaaaaally don’t understand and won’t for years.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

LeadBolt wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:03 am As a person who has had a break through case, I am acutely aware that immunity from the vaccine only lasts 6-8 months.

Since it is not practical to vaccinate the whole world in that time frame, vaccine while a part of the solution is not anywhere near a total solution.

That is a fantasy we have been sold by the 81 year old snake oil salesman who has his name in some of the underlying patents that lead to developing the Moderna vaccine.

Fauci has misled us for personal financial gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:nod:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:50 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:21 am

The chances are very low for long term effects, being the vaccine is gone from your system within days or weeks. I'm not saying people should be required to get the vaccine, I'm saying it's there if you want it, but don't push rumors, half-truths and false info, because someone that needs it, may believe the fake news, hesitate, and end up in the hospital on a vent, versus being sick with flu-like symptoms. If we don't fix this now, you all will be dealing with the same crap when you all are older. Speak to your Doc and make your decision.
Have they found any long term side effects yet, as in 8 weeks, or are they all short term?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:52 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:05 pm

We have history with these vaccines?
We have, but not 150 years like you guys want.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:15 pm

The vaccine was tested so thoroughly that it didn’t work anything like they thought it would work. They were wrong about it’s longevity, they were wrong about it’s effectiveness, they were wrong about it’s ability to prevent you from getting infected, they were wrong about a shitload.

So you’ll excuse me if i don’t have blind faith that there aren’t some long term consequences from these rapidly produced vaccines that we reaaaaaally don’t understand and won’t for years.
:lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:11 pm
SDHornet wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:50 pm

Have they found any long term side effects yet, as in 8 weeks, or are they all short term?
Has it been long term yet?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

(Link to data in article)
New data show those who recovered from Covid-19 were less likely than vaccinated to get infected during Delta wave

New data released Wednesday showed that both vaccination and prior infection offered strong protection against infection and hospitalization from Covid-19 during the Delta wave — and that case and hospitalization rates were actually lower among people who had recovered from Covid-19 than among those who had been vaccinated.

The data, released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and health agencies in California and New York, are sure to inflame arguments from those who insist they don’t need to be vaccinated if they can show they’ve recovered from Covid-19. But the data contain many caveats that health officials stressed pointed to the value of vaccination, even on top of prior infection…
https://www.statnews.com/2022/01/19/tho ... elta-wave/
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Early Omicron Breakthroughs Show MRNA Vaccines’ Weakness

Booster shots with messenger RNA vaccines such as those made by Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE failed to block omicron in a study of some of the first documented breakthrough cases caused by the highly contagious variant…
https://www.bloombergquint.com/business ... tudy-shows
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:13 pm

Should we get BDK in here to define what “long term” is?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Bravery.

A Czech folk singer died after she deliberately contracted Covid to obtain a health pass that would have allowed her to visit venues blocked to those without proof of vaccination or recent recovery from an infection, her family has said.

Hana Horka, 57, who was the vocalist for the band Asonance, died on Sunday, according to her son Jan Rek. She had voluntarily exposed herself to the virus when her husband and son, both vaccinated, caught it before Christmas, Rek told public .

Two days before her death, Horka posted on social media: “I survived … It was intense. So now there will be the theatre, sauna, a concert … and an urgent trip to the sea.”

Proof of vaccination or a recent infection is required to access cultural and sports facilities as well as for travel and for visiting bars and restaurants in the EU member state, which is facing a soaring Covid count.

Rek blamed the death on a local anti-vax movement, saying its leaders had convinced his mother against vaccination and thus had “blood on their hands”.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... 1642626391
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Bummer. They rocked.

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:20 pm

JMU was a dynasty!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:59 am

JMU was a dynasty!
WTF are you talking about? :suspicious:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:57 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:59 am

JMU was a dynasty!
WTF are you talking about? :suspicious:
Sorry JMU is a dynasty.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Yes.

And well played. :lol: