Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:38 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:56 am

I would guess that on average, students have gotten half of what they would have from in-person learning over the last year - that's a lost semester of academic learning. Fiver, would you agree? You can sit in your bubble and think kids are fine because they can go to school remotely but the learning isn't the same and the loss of social interaction is taking a toll on their mental health.
Generally speaking I would agree. We shut down a year ago and didn't finish out spring of last year. We did some online stuff but weren't really prepared for it. We have been back in school full time, in person since August 14. I know people don't like standardized testing but we do a fair amount of it because while not perfect it can help us spot trends. Usually over the summer kids lose a little as you would expect. This year they lost a lot.

When we started back we also offered an online only option for kids as well. About 8% of our students chose that option. Totally parental choice, no proof of need, medical reasoning, etc. At the start of the 2nd semester in January the school board voted to end that. Now you have to have something in writing from a doctor to do online. We did that because 75% of the kids choosing the online option were failing one or more classes. If there is no parental supervision about what kids are doing it is a recipe for disaster.

My son had to quarantine for 2 weeks and he absolutely hated it. And he doesn't like school but online was even worse. We've had no spread in school. Every case has been contact traced to family or someone outside of school. That goes for both teachers and students. We've also added extra counseling services this year because of the increased stress kids are under.
Sounds like you and your district are doing excellent work there Fiver!

As mentioned before, my youngest who was a solid D student is now mostly A’s and a few B’s. So it’s not all gloom and and doom for everyone. Then again he was probably a candidate for alt learning all along. Had the brains, but school has frustrated him both academically and socially since middle school.

I empathize with parents of younger kids and those where both patents work.

There were no great choices in dealing with this part of the pandemic but I’m guessing decades from now were not going to bemoan the lack of education for this generation who missed a year of in-class learning. They’ll somehow recover and go on to lead productive lives. Who knows, maybe there are some hidden benefits to surviving a pandemic that will provide a net improvement over the issues we had as a culture, pre-pandemic.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:15 am
SDHornet wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:20 pm

This is where you put the shovel down, gil.
I've been talking Iowa schools, Fiver looks like he was talking his school. We were not communicating on the same subject matter.
I can talk specifics about our school district but I'm also talking about Iowa schools in general. Played baseball and softball last summer with no problem. Almost every school back in person in August with all sports played. There have been very few issues.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

kalm wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:01 am
HI54UNI wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:38 pm

Generally speaking I would agree. We shut down a year ago and didn't finish out spring of last year. We did some online stuff but weren't really prepared for it. We have been back in school full time, in person since August 14. I know people don't like standardized testing but we do a fair amount of it because while not perfect it can help us spot trends. Usually over the summer kids lose a little as you would expect. This year they lost a lot.

When we started back we also offered an online only option for kids as well. About 8% of our students chose that option. Totally parental choice, no proof of need, medical reasoning, etc. At the start of the 2nd semester in January the school board voted to end that. Now you have to have something in writing from a doctor to do online. We did that because 75% of the kids choosing the online option were failing one or more classes. If there is no parental supervision about what kids are doing it is a recipe for disaster.

My son had to quarantine for 2 weeks and he absolutely hated it. And he doesn't like school but online was even worse. We've had no spread in school. Every case has been contact traced to family or someone outside of school. That goes for both teachers and students. We've also added extra counseling services this year because of the increased stress kids are under.
Sounds like you and your district are doing excellent work there Fiver!

As mentioned before, my youngest who was a solid D student is now mostly A’s and a few B’s. So it’s not all gloom and and doom for everyone. Then again he was probably a candidate for alt learning all along. Had the brains, but school has frustrated him both academically and socially since middle school.

I empathize with parents of younger kids and those where both patents work.

There were no great choices in dealing with this part of the pandemic but I’m guessing decades from now were not going to bemoan the lack of education for this generation who missed a year of in-class learning. They’ll somehow recover and go on to lead productive lives. Who knows, maybe there are some hidden benefits to surviving a pandemic that will provide a net improvement over the issues we had as a culture, pre-pandemic.
The credit goes to our administrative team, particularly our supt. We are probably one of the few schools in the state, or probably even the nation, that had a pandemic plan in place. Now it was meant for a massive flu outbreak but it worked for this as well. We've also spent a big chunk of money on UV sterilizers that are brought into class rooms, electrostatic misters for buses and other facilities, hand sanitizer, etc.

And I would note that we didn't require masks until November. And the only reason we did that was due to a change in the state's quarantine rules which helped a lot of kids avoid being quarantined. And this is the situation with most schools in the state, not just us.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I'll echo fiver here, my kids' school district here in PA (suburb of Philly) has been open since September, 5 days a week, in person school for every kid who wanted it. Masks are on all the time other than when eating lunches, and they provided covered, outdoor areas to eat, as well as large spaces indoors to eat. They offered a full time online option for those who opted in it - had to commit to a whole semester. 25% of the kids were full online in the fall, probably 10%, or less, now for the spring. School played every sports season and most activities that could go on did (lots of stuff went virtual when interacting with other schools, but within the school things were in person). Current dashboard for the year for the district (relatively large district for PA, high school has about 2100 kids (4 grades at the high school) shows a cummulative total of 223 cases of Covid among students and 65 cases among staff (this is at all buildings district-wide). No specific cases were shown to have been a result of in-school transmission. There's certainly community transmission, no doubt about that (people are either careless, reckless, or they don't believe - any combination of that and you can get spread, and it doesn't matter what your political beliefs are). District did a great job and I think they may have been one of the only districts in the Philly area to go 5 days a week, in person, all year. Other districts are just now implementing hybrid or expanding their hybrid options, or even going back full time.

Just like in businesses, if you follow the protocol (masks, maintain social distance, wash hands/clean surfaces) then you can easily reduce transmission to almost nothing. Schools aren't and were never the issue, as most public places weren't either (assuming protocols followed) - what people do in their private lives, kids sports, family parties, etc, have always been the issue.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:02 am I'll echo fiver here, my kids' school district here in PA (suburb of Philly) has been open since September, 5 days a week, in person school for every kid who wanted it. Masks are on all the time other than when eating lunches, and they provided covered, outdoor areas to eat, as well as large spaces indoors to eat. They offered a full time online option for those who opted in it - had to commit to a whole semester. 25% of the kids were full online in the fall, probably 10%, or less, now for the spring. School played every sports season and most activities that could go on did (lots of stuff went virtual when interacting with other schools, but within the school things were in person). Current dashboard for the year for the district (relatively large district for PA, high school has about 2100 kids (4 grades at the high school) shows a cummulative total of 223 cases of Covid among students and 65 cases among staff (this is at all buildings district-wide). No specific cases were shown to have been a result of in-school transmission. There's certainly community transmission, no doubt about that (people are either careless, reckless, or they don't believe - any combination of that and you can get spread, and it doesn't matter what your political beliefs are). District did a great job and I think they may have been one of the only districts in the Philly area to go 5 days a week, in person, all year. Other districts are just now implementing hybrid or expanding their hybrid options, or even going back full time.

Just like in businesses, if you follow the protocol (masks, maintain social distance, wash hands/clean surfaces) then you can easily reduce transmission to almost nothing. Schools aren't and were never the issue, as most public places weren't either (assuming protocols followed) - what people do in their private lives, kids sports, family parties, etc, have always been the issue.
There are 4133 students, 717 staff in the local public district. 190 total positive cases to date. Local sports team advanced to the next level of the hockey play-offs, because their opponent was in Covid protocol. Local girls basketball covid active player, had to cancel their tourney appearance due to Covid protocol. We can all echo fiver, but there are schools where covid is being spread, could be 1 person, or could be 100, either way it can be spread.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:32 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:02 am I'll echo fiver here, my kids' school district here in PA (suburb of Philly) has been open since September, 5 days a week, in person school for every kid who wanted it. Masks are on all the time other than when eating lunches, and they provided covered, outdoor areas to eat, as well as large spaces indoors to eat. They offered a full time online option for those who opted in it - had to commit to a whole semester. 25% of the kids were full online in the fall, probably 10%, or less, now for the spring. School played every sports season and most activities that could go on did (lots of stuff went virtual when interacting with other schools, but within the school things were in person). Current dashboard for the year for the district (relatively large district for PA, high school has about 2100 kids (4 grades at the high school) shows a cummulative total of 223 cases of Covid among students and 65 cases among staff (this is at all buildings district-wide). No specific cases were shown to have been a result of in-school transmission. There's certainly community transmission, no doubt about that (people are either careless, reckless, or they don't believe - any combination of that and you can get spread, and it doesn't matter what your political beliefs are). District did a great job and I think they may have been one of the only districts in the Philly area to go 5 days a week, in person, all year. Other districts are just now implementing hybrid or expanding their hybrid options, or even going back full time.

There are 4133 students, 717 staff in the local public district. 190 total positive cases to date. Local sports team advanced to the next level of the hockey play-offs, because their opponent was in Covid protocol. Local girls basketball covid active player, had to cancel their tourney appearance due to Covid protocol. We can all echo fiver, but there are schools where covid is being spread, could be 1 person, or could be 100, either way it can be spread.
No one has ever said it can't spread, but the question is whether having school in person represents a substantial risk of spread. Compared to most activities, there's general agreement that if done right - masks, social distancing, cleaning, etc (all the protocols fiver spelled out) that the activity can go on at a very low level of risk of spread, and possibly much lower than activities we are already doing (grocery shopping, Walmarts, gas stations, etc).
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:05 am

No one has ever said it can't spread, but the question is whether having school in person represents a substantial risk of spread. Compared to most activities, there's general agreement that if done right - masks, social distancing, cleaning, etc (all the protocols fiver spelled out) that the activity can go on at a very low level of risk of spread, and possibly much lower than activities we are already doing (grocery shopping, Walmarts, gas stations, etc).
I agree to some extent about where it's spread. I don't have any issue with schools being open. Where it's spread is more how the locals view covid protocol and if they adhere, not necessarily the venue.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Yep. Middle ground was where it should have been all along. Not the all or nothing approach CA took.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

First shot (Moderna) on Friday.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:25 pm

Yep. Middle ground was where it should have been all along. Not the all or nothing approach CA took.
Did we take the middle ground when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

:ohno:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Took Mrs89 up to Baltimore yesterday for her first shot. As a county employee she was able to get on the list. Then last night I get a call from HR that somebody in our office was exposed and they are contacting everyone who was in the office last week. I was there for 15 minutes for the first time in a couple weeks. Figures. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:04 am Took Mrs89 up to Baltimore yesterday for her first shot. As a county employee she was able to get on the list. Then last night I get a call from HR that somebody in our office was exposed and they are contacting everyone who was in the office last week. I was there for 15 minutes for the first time in a couple weeks. Figures. :coffee:
that's it.

You're dead.

Nice knowing you. :ohno: :ohno:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:15 am Scheduled for Shot #1 of the Moderna vaccine tomorrow, March 17th, at 4:15 pm. Followed by green Bud Light. That should do the trick. 8-)
No major side effects. Just some general soreness in the area of the shot, but certainly nothing worth complaining about.
No other ill-feelings.

Second shot on April 14.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:54 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:15 am Scheduled for Shot #1 of the Moderna vaccine tomorrow, March 17th, at 4:15 pm. Followed by green Bud Light. That should do the trick. 8-)
No major side effects. Just some general soreness in the area of the shot, but certainly nothing worth complaining about.
No other ill-feelings.

Second shot on April 14.
Same hear, just soreness, nothing else. Get 2nd on April 16.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

My wife got the J&J one this weekend - in PA, or parts of it, they're earmarking these shots for teachers and that's how she got it. She got it Sunday and ran a fever and missed school on Monday as a result, but felt better 24 hours later. She said the shot hurt going in as well, I haven't heard that about the Pfizer or Moderna ones.

PA's been a mess of sorts in terms of rollout - the areas around Philly (Philly does their own through the federal government) haven't gotten supply to match the population, where outlying counties with much smaller populations have gotten more than they need. As a result, people in these counties are driving several hours to other parts of the state to get vaccinations. I haven't done that yet, I'm perfectly healthy and have no underlying conditions, but seeing how it could be another 10 weeks before PA gets to the 1B's (where I am as a manufacturing employee) I might be tempted to see what list I could get on elsewhere.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:33 am My wife got the J&J one this weekend - in PA, or parts of it, they're earmarking these shots for teachers and that's how she got it. She got it Sunday and ran a fever and missed school on Monday as a result, but felt better 24 hours later. She said the shot hurt going in as well, I haven't heard that about the Pfizer or Moderna ones.

PA's been a mess of sorts in terms of rollout - the areas around Philly (Philly does their own through the federal government) haven't gotten supply to match the population, where outlying counties with much smaller populations have gotten more than they need. As a result, people in these counties are driving several hours to other parts of the state to get vaccinations. I haven't done that yet, I'm perfectly healthy and have no underlying conditions, but seeing how it could be another 10 weeks before PA gets to the 1B's (where I am as a manufacturing employee) I might be tempted to see what list I could get on elsewhere.
Same thing in Minnesota. Some rural counties are already near 50% vaccinated, while metro appointments get taken up like TP when this all started. We drove over 100 miles into rural Minnesota, to get our first shot.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:33 am My wife got the J&J one this weekend - in PA, or parts of it, they're earmarking these shots for teachers and that's how she got it. She got it Sunday and ran a fever and missed school on Monday as a result, but felt better 24 hours later. She said the shot hurt going in as well, I haven't heard that about the Pfizer or Moderna ones.

Inslee hasn’t been great either. FWIW, my arm was sore for at least a full day with the Moderna.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:38 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:41 pm

Sorry, no. It's an Immunology question.

Immunology - the branch of medicine and biology concerned with immunity
Epidemiology - the branch of medicine which deals with the incidence, distribution, and possible control of diseases and other factors relating to health.

Rand Paul is talking about the immune response that after you are infected or have received a vaccination, you should start producing antibodies within 2 weeks. Immunologists would agree with Rand Paul on the timeline.

So let me get this straight. You think Rand Paul AND Ben Carson are idiots? :lol:
So immunity isn’t also a part of epidemiology? The government scolds referred to don’t employ both disciplines before making recommendations? All immunologists agree on the timeline for relaxing social distancing and mask wearing guidelines during the novel virus pandemic? What does “novel” mean again?

Rand Paul’s opening in the tweet is purely political. Yeah...we get it Rand...you like libertarianism.

This is not Rand exploring some serious scientific debate into efficacy. It’s actually rather irresponsible for him to tweet that. He needs to stay in his lane.

And no...Paul is a freaking brain surgeon compared to Carson.

Nice try at obfuscation. Sticking to the original discussion points.
No, immunology is an entirely separate field from epidemiology. Are they closely related? Sure. One looks at how illness "moves" through a population and infects people, while the other looks at what your body does after you are infected with the illness.

What Rand stated is a fact, that after you recover from an illness or vaccine doses, you start making antibodies two weeks afterward. Fauci could not cite, nor provide any studies to refute Rand's claim.

What is your definition of novel? I ask because there is wiggle room here.

By the way, make sure to tell your family doctor to stay in his lane when he talks about COVID, because he surely can't know what he is talking about. He should defer to your local immunoepidemiologist. :kisswink:
Last edited by SeattleGriz on Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:04 am Took Mrs89 up to Baltimore yesterday for her first shot. As a county employee she was able to get on the list. Then last night I get a call from HR that somebody in our office was exposed and they are contacting everyone who was in the office last week. I was there for 15 minutes for the first time in a couple weeks. Figures. :coffee:
Make sure to let Ivy and 93 outta the basement before you get too sick
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

South Carolina has been a mess. At first the elderly and special "needs" like Dieticians and gym trainers were eligible but a teacher or caregiver wasn't. Then they expanded it to anyone 65 and older but the didn't tell anyone for a week. Rock Hill announced that had a surplus to get rid of so anyone could make an appointment and get it...except that was a lie. SC Just moved to the 2nd fast earlier this month. If you look at who is eligible under 1a and 1b, 1b is the larger and more at risk population. My mother has been eligible in SC since Day 1...her 1st shot was cancelled 2x. She eventually went to NC to get it. They didn't ask a single question about residency. She's 70+ with eligible conditions. My 65yr old MiL ran into the same problem. South Carolina - i love this state but man are they slow and backwards.

North Carolina has a done a great job. Since I live on the border, spend a lot of time in NC and work in Charlotte (well, not since 3/16/20) I was eligible. Right now, if you're 18 and older and overweight, obese, mentally ill, have high blood pressure or anything like that, you are eligible.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:54 am
No other ill-feelings.

Second shot on April 14.
How'd that green BL make you feel?

I had some general soreness in my arm after the Phizer shot. Everyone says the 2nd one will make you feel awful so...not looking forward to that in 2 weeks.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:11 am
that's it.

You're dead.

Same day test yesterday. Negative.

But this goes to show the delicate balance between civil liberties and protecting people and stopping the spread. I was in my office for 15 minutes last Friday. They called all employees (I'm one of only four "employees" because all my realtors are 1099 independent contractors) who were in Monday through Friday last week to let us know somebody who was in the office had been in contact with somebody who had Covid. They couldn't tell me who it was, if they were in on Friday, if they were in my section of office (we have three separate spaces) or if that person even tested positive. So what good was telling me at all? Just to make me nervous or force me to get a test and quarantine when I really didn't need to? The inconsistent messaging and methodology around this is just terrible. :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:32 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:11 am

that's it.

You're dead.

But this goes to show the delicate balance between civil liberties and protecting people and stopping the spread. I was in my office for 15 minutes last Friday. They called all employees (I'm one of only four "employees" because all my realtors are 1099 independent contractors) who were in Monday through Friday last week to let us know somebody who was in the office had been in contact with somebody who had Covid. They couldn't tell me who it was, if they were in on Friday, if they were in my section of office (we have three separate spaces) or if that person even tested positive. So what good was telling me at all? Just to make me nervous or force me to get a test and quarantine when I really didn't need to? The inconsistent messaging and methodology around this is just terrible. :ohno:
We’re those all government rules?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:33 am
89Hen wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:32 am

You're just messing with me now on grammar? No. They are company policy. But that's really irrelevant, the "rules" are just dumb. HR should at least be able to tell me if that person was in the office at the same time as I was.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:35 am
kalm wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:33 am

You're just messing with me now on grammar? No. They are company policy. But that's really irrelevant, the "rules" are just dumb. HR should at least be able to tell me if that person was in the office at the same time as I was.
No. But civil liberties caught my eye. Agreed regarding inconsistency of policies and messaging. Leadership challenges for both the private and public sector.