Coronavirus COVID-19

Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48432
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:23 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:13 pm

Politics played a roll, mistakes were made (true), and most political leaders in the world from Sweden to China to Israel were all in on this grand conspiracy to get Biden elected. :rofl:

And everything is now opened back up, right? It will be April in Paris by April! :clap:
I'd love to see some stats and an apples-to-apples comparison on infections, hospitalizations and deaths by state over the last 3-6 months to see if things are really that much better to justify the sudden change in reducing restrictions in Donk runs states.
The postmortems and specific time frame studies will be fascinating and challenging considering all of the variables.

Date of first infection. A “last three months” comparison between locations has to take into account disease timeline, baseline numbers, initial mitigating restrictions. For example, one state’s surge was just starting prior to enhanced mandates and voluntary social distancing while another is half way through the surge. Also, the later the outbreak the more likely prevention and treatments were improved and implemented reducing hospitalizations and deaths.

Population density. Still seems to play a big roll in total cases.

Location. Proximity and travel between states with different restrictions/level of compliance, level of enforcement. EG Spokane County has tougher restrictions while neighboring N. Idaho has virtually none with a ton of commerce and travel between the two.

Demographics. Extended family driven cultures. Greater respect for the elderly (CID mentioned this regarding Asia), at risk elderly populations that voluntarily isolate regardless of state imposed restrictions.

If you look at the CDC tracker going back to last January, no state escapes it. Assuming blue states have stronger restrictions, Illinois and R.I. are the only solidly blue states in the top two groups of highest infection rates. CA, TX, and FL are all in the same range.

The economic outcome studies tied to lockdowns and cases (long term effects and costs will obviously take awhile to unravel and become clear as will the health effects caused by lockdowns).

At this point, no one has avoided the crisis and there’s no decisive evidence that the lockdown cure is worse than the affliction.

Bad leadership from both sides continues to haunt us. Hypocrisy and inconsistency of mandates. Lockdowns without consistent relief stimulus for effected business owners, landlords, and workers.



https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... sesper100k
Image
Image
Image
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48432
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:53 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:13 pm

Politics played a roll, mistakes were made (true), and most political leaders in the world from Sweden to China to Israel were all in on this grand conspiracy to get Biden elected. :rofl:

And everything is now opened back up, right? It will be April in Paris by April! :clap:
*role

Like it or not, other countries take their cue from America.

And I never said everything (yet) was opened back up. But when the biggest opponents of opening things up all (within days of each other) do 180's, that doesn't peak your interest? Or make you look askance at the whole process?
You mean places that are slowly reducing restrictions based on declining trends? Not really. Also...in case you weren’t aware, there’s huge pressure coming from business groups, political groups, and the citizenry to “open back up.” Granted, Newsome and Cuomo have much to be criticized over and EVERY SINGLE governor has made mistakes and been open to criticism.
Image
Image
Image
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48432
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:56 pm Take it FWIW, but this is an interesting piece...

It is interesting. Anything is possible. Brett Weinstein (molecular biologist) was calling this lab produced on Rogan back in the spring. I also read recently that Italy is finding Covid in blood samples taken September of 2019. :shock:
Image
Image
Image
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48432
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

Still much to learn.
In the study, mice that were infected with the virus through their nasal passages developed severe illnesses due to brain infections, even after the virus left their lungs. In humans, this could explain why patients who appear to be over COVID-19 sometimes relapse and die.

“The brain is one of the regions where virus likes to hide,” Mukesh Kumar, the lead study author and a researcher at Georgia State University, said in a statement.

“That’s why we’re seeing severe disease and all these multiple symptoms like heart disease, stroke and all these long-haulers with loss of smell, loss of taste,” he said. “All of this has to do with the brain rather than with the lungs.”

The research team found that the virus was located in the brains of mice at a level that was 1,000 times higher than in any other part of the body. Viral loads in the lungs began to drop after three days but remained high in the brain on the fifth and sixth days after infection, which is when the disease became more severe.
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2021012 ... Qm3RPFHkfk
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 27512
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by Gil Dobie »

Sorted by lowest infection rate, the 12 states without mask mandates

Here are the 12 states without mask mandates. Lowest Infections per million ranking.
16. Alaska
21. Florida
25. Missouri
29. S Carolina
30. Georgia
36. Mississippi
37. Idaho
43. Oklahoma
44. Nebraska
46. Arizona
47. Tennessee
50. South Dakota
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10482
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:13 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:23 pm
I'd love to see some stats and an apples-to-apples comparison on infections, hospitalizations and deaths by state over the last 3-6 months to see if things are really that much better to justify the sudden change in reducing restrictions in Donk runs states.
The postmortems and specific time frame studies will be fascinating and challenging considering all of the variables.

Date of first infection. A “last three months” comparison between locations has to take into account disease timeline, baseline numbers, initial mitigating restrictions. For example, one state’s surge was just starting prior to enhanced mandates and voluntary social distancing while another is half way through the surge. Also, the later the outbreak the more likely prevention and treatments were improved and implemented reducing hospitalizations and deaths.

Population density. Still seems to play a big roll in total cases.

Location. Proximity and travel between states with different restrictions/level of compliance, level of enforcement. EG Spokane County has tougher restrictions while neighboring N. Idaho has virtually none with a ton of commerce and travel between the two.

Demographics. Extended family driven cultures. Greater respect for the elderly (CID mentioned this regarding Asia), at risk elderly populations that voluntarily isolate regardless of state imposed restrictions.

If you look at the CDC tracker going back to last January, no state escapes it. Assuming blue states have stronger restrictions, Illinois and R.I. are the only solidly blue states in the top two groups of highest infection rates. CA, TX, and FL are all in the same range.

The economic outcome studies tied to lockdowns and cases (long term effects and costs will obviously take awhile to unravel and become clear as will the health effects caused by lockdowns).

At this point, no one has avoided the crisis and there’s no decisive evidence that the lockdown cure is worse than the affliction.

Bad leadership from both sides continues to haunt us. Hypocrisy and inconsistency of mandates. Lockdowns without consistent relief stimulus for effected business owners, landlords, and workers.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... sesper100k
Is there decisive evidence that the lockdown cure was better than the affliction?
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:25 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:53 pm
*role

Like it or not, other countries take their cue from America.

And I never said everything (yet) was opened back up. But when the biggest opponents of opening things up all (within days of each other) do 180's, that doesn't peak your interest? Or make you look askance at the whole process?
You mean places that are slowly reducing restrictions based on declining trends? Not really. Also...in case you weren’t aware, there’s huge pressure coming from business groups, political groups, and the citizenry to “open back up.” Granted, Newsome and Cuomo have much to be criticized over and EVERY SINGLE governor has made mistakes and been open to criticism.
So is it "challenging considering all of the variables" to show trends in the virus or are the trends "declining"?

Are you really arguing that there is nothing suspicious about major Donk states/cities lifting restrictions nearly simultaneously after Biden takes office?

I want to see a line chart with cases and deaths over the past 3-6 months (not at a single point in time) by state. I want to compare Texas to California, etc. to see if there was a drop more significant than any previous drop to justify reducing restrictions. Or were those political leaders full of shit and politicizing the virus for the benefit of their political party (and to the detriment of the American people)?
User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 37023
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by 89Hen »

FWIW, January 21 was the highest daily death day in California.
Image
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48432
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:30 am
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:13 am

The postmortems and specific time frame studies will be fascinating and challenging considering all of the variables.

Date of first infection. A “last three months” comparison between locations has to take into account disease timeline, baseline numbers, initial mitigating restrictions. For example, one state’s surge was just starting prior to enhanced mandates and voluntary social distancing while another is half way through the surge. Also, the later the outbreak the more likely prevention and treatments were improved and implemented reducing hospitalizations and deaths.

Population density. Still seems to play a big roll in total cases.

Location. Proximity and travel between states with different restrictions/level of compliance, level of enforcement. EG Spokane County has tougher restrictions while neighboring N. Idaho has virtually none with a ton of commerce and travel between the two.

Demographics. Extended family driven cultures. Greater respect for the elderly (CID mentioned this regarding Asia), at risk elderly populations that voluntarily isolate regardless of state imposed restrictions.

If you look at the CDC tracker going back to last January, no state escapes it. Assuming blue states have stronger restrictions, Illinois and R.I. are the only solidly blue states in the top two groups of highest infection rates. CA, TX, and FL are all in the same range.

The economic outcome studies tied to lockdowns and cases (long term effects and costs will obviously take awhile to unravel and become clear as will the health effects caused by lockdowns).

At this point, no one has avoided the crisis and there’s no decisive evidence that the lockdown cure is worse than the affliction.

Bad leadership from both sides continues to haunt us. Hypocrisy and inconsistency of mandates. Lockdowns without consistent relief stimulus for effected business owners, landlords, and workers.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... sesper100k
Is there decisive evidence that the lockdown cure was better than the affliction?
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:25 am

You mean places that are slowly reducing restrictions based on declining trends? Not really. Also...in case you weren’t aware, there’s huge pressure coming from business groups, political groups, and the citizenry to “open back up.” Granted, Newsome and Cuomo have much to be criticized over and EVERY SINGLE governor has made mistakes and been open to criticism.
So is it "challenging considering all of the variables" to show trends in the virus or are the trends "declining"?

Are you really arguing that there is nothing suspicious about major Donk states/cities lifting restrictions nearly simultaneously after Biden takes office?

I want to see a line chart with cases and deaths over the past 3-6 months (not at a single point in time) by state. I want to compare Texas to California, etc. to see if there was a drop more significant than any previous drop to justify reducing restrictions. Or were those political leaders full of shit and politicizing the virus for the benefit of their political party (and to the detriment of the American people)?
Thanks for the quoting nightmare Mr. "Learn how to quote". :lol:

I would say there's no decisive evidence proving either choice was better yet. It's also a deaths/long term health issues vs. freedom value judgement. Without fully knowing the long term effects from both a health and economic standpoint, it's still to early to tell. I posted that study from way back in April that showed cities and regions that locked down and masked up more during the Spanish Flu were better off in the long haul, economically speaking. Our inability or desire to fund stimulus to a greater degree like some other countries have surely hasn't helped with the short term economic effects and psychological disorders. You'd think the greatest country and economic powerhouse on the planet would have saved up for a rainy day fund.

Understanding the data and connecting the dots between all of the factors is of course challenging in any regard. Lots of signals and noise. But yes, believe it or not, governments do base their decisions on data trends. These are verifiable and in at least some cases are tangible. See phases.

And none of this is to say that politicians haven't manipulated the crises. Just need more info than politically driven conspiracies. Perhaps it's available.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 37023
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:30 am It is interesting. Anything is possible. Brett Weinstein (molecular biologist) was calling this lab produced on Rogan back in the spring. I also read recently that Italy is finding Covid in blood samples taken September of 2019. :shock:
Problem is, people won't care even if it is all true unless ABC News tells them they should care. Which they'd never do.
Image
User avatar
Pwns
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6805
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by Pwns »

https://reason.com/2020/12/06/chicago-t ... -misogyny/

When you're getting your ass kicked in the argument over school closures and kids are literally dying from suicide because of school closures, change the subject to "white supremacy".
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
User avatar
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10497
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:41 am
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:25 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:53 pm

*role

Like it or not, other countries take their cue from America.

And I never said everything (yet) was opened back up. But when the biggest opponents of opening things up all (within days of each other) do 180's, that doesn't peak your interest? Or make you look askance at the whole process?
You mean places that are slowly reducing restrictions based on declining trends? Not really. Also...in case you weren’t aware, there’s huge pressure coming from business groups, political groups, and the citizenry to “open back up.” Granted, Newsome and Cuomo have much to be criticized over and EVERY SINGLE governor has made mistakes and been open to criticism.
As much as I'm not a fan of the lockdowns and I think Inslee is a douche, he has stuck with his plan and hasn't flopped all over the place. Gotta give him props there.

Now we'll see if he opens up the economy early.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10482
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:41 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:30 am
Is there decisive evidence that the lockdown cure was better than the affliction?

So is it "challenging considering all of the variables" to show trends in the virus or are the trends "declining"?

Are you really arguing that there is nothing suspicious about major Donk states/cities lifting restrictions nearly simultaneously after Biden takes office?

I want to see a line chart with cases and deaths over the past 3-6 months (not at a single point in time) by state. I want to compare Texas to California, etc. to see if there was a drop more significant than any previous drop to justify reducing restrictions. Or were those political leaders full of shit and politicizing the virus for the benefit of their political party (and to the detriment of the American people)?
Thanks for the quoting nightmare Mr. "Learn how to quote". :lol:

I would say there's no decisive evidence proving either choice was better yet. It's also a deaths/long term health issues vs. freedom value judgement. Without fully knowing the long term effects from both a health and economic standpoint, it's still to early to tell. I posted that study from way back in April that showed cities and regions that locked down and masked up more during the Spanish Flu were better off in the long haul, economically speaking. Our inability or desire to fund stimulus to a greater degree like some other countries have surely hasn't helped with the short term economic effects and psychological disorders. You'd think the greatest country and economic powerhouse on the planet would have saved up for a rainy day fund.

Understanding the data and connecting the dots between all of the factors is of course challenging in any regard. Lots of signals and noise. But yes, believe it or not, governments do base their decisions on data trends. These are verifiable and in at least some cases are tangible. See phases.

And none of this is to say that politicians haven't manipulated the crises. Just need more info than politically driven conspiracies. Perhaps it's available.
Take a look at the NY Times charts on case counts and deaths in California.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... cases.html

Looks a little premature to be lifting restrictions to me. It seems to be quacking like a politically motivated duck for Newsome.

And I thought you liked mind-numbingly long posts ala JSO.
User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 19569
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:37 am FWIW, January 21 was the highest daily death day in California.
Doesn't matter. Trump gone, the scamdemic, plandemic can end..
User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 15403
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:13 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:23 pm

I'd love to see some stats and an apples-to-apples comparison on infections, hospitalizations and deaths by state over the last 3-6 months to see if things are really that much better to justify the sudden change in reducing restrictions in Donk runs states.
The postmortems and specific time frame studies will be fascinating and challenging considering all of the variables.

Date of first infection. A “last three months” comparison between locations has to take into account disease timeline, baseline numbers, initial mitigating restrictions. For example, one state’s surge was just starting prior to enhanced mandates and voluntary social distancing while another is half way through the surge. Also, the later the outbreak the more likely prevention and treatments were improved and implemented reducing hospitalizations and deaths.

Population density. Still seems to play a big roll in total cases.

Location. Proximity and travel between states with different restrictions/level of compliance, level of enforcement. EG Spokane County has tougher restrictions while neighboring N. Idaho has virtually none with a ton of commerce and travel between the two.

Demographics. Extended family driven cultures. Greater respect for the elderly (CID mentioned this regarding Asia), at risk elderly populations that voluntarily isolate regardless of state imposed restrictions.

If you look at the CDC tracker going back to last January, no state escapes it. Assuming blue states have stronger restrictions, Illinois and R.I. are the only solidly blue states in the top two groups of highest infection rates. CA, TX, and FL are all in the same range.

The economic outcome studies tied to lockdowns and cases (long term effects and costs will obviously take awhile to unravel and become clear as will the health effects caused by lockdowns).

At this point, no one has avoided the crisis and there’s no decisive evidence that the lockdown cure is worse than the affliction.

Bad leadership from both sides continues to haunt us. Hypocrisy and inconsistency of mandates. Lockdowns without consistent relief stimulus for effected business owners, landlords, and workers.



https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... sesper100k
San Francisco disagrees with you. 293 deaths to date per Worldometer (19th most in all CA counties). In the 2nd densest city in the US.
User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 15403
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:37 am FWIW, January 21 was the highest daily death day in California.
Which makes Newsolini's removal of the state lockdowns all the more hilarious. :lol: :dunce:


BTW loving the mental gymnastics klammy is doing right now. :popcorn:
User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 55358
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:25 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:53 pm

*role

Like it or not, other countries take their cue from America.

And I never said everything (yet) was opened back up. But when the biggest opponents of opening things up all (within days of each other) do 180's, that doesn't peak your interest? Or make you look askance at the whole process?
You mean places that are slowly reducing restrictions based on declining trends? Not really. Also...in case you weren’t aware, there’s huge pressure coming from business groups, political groups, and the citizenry to “open back up.” Granted, Newsome and Cuomo have much to be criticized over and EVERY SINGLE governor has made mistakes and been open to criticism.
And you don’t find it ironic that the pressure (which has been there for going on 9 months now) juuuuuust now works its magic enough to get the three biggest proponents of total shutdown to do 180’s on their position within 48 hours of each other?

Just purely coincidental, huh? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:dunce: :dunce:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48432
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:30 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:25 am

You mean places that are slowly reducing restrictions based on declining trends? Not really. Also...in case you weren’t aware, there’s huge pressure coming from business groups, political groups, and the citizenry to “open back up.” Granted, Newsome and Cuomo have much to be criticized over and EVERY SINGLE governor has made mistakes and been open to criticism.
And you don’t find it ironic that the pressure (which has been there for going on 9 months now) juuuuuust now works its magic enough to get the three biggest proponents of total shutdown to do 180’s on their position within 48 hours of each other?

Just purely coincidental, huh? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:dunce: :dunce:
The pressure was there from the start. It likely prevented some governors from enacting harsher mandates. And did I miss something? Has Newsome opened everything back up completely or did he relax the stay at home order? Inslee has not really done much of anything yet other than realigning the map into regions that share health districts more and reclarifying the metrics for climbing out of each phase. Not sure on the rest. :coffee:
Image
Image
Image
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48432
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:48 pm
89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:37 am FWIW, January 21 was the highest daily death day in California.
Which makes Newsolini's removal of the state lockdowns all the more hilarious. :lol: :dunce:


BTW loving the mental gymnastics klammy is doing right now. :popcorn:
Hey...look! The proven wrong countless times- just the flu - science, bad! - guy is a fan of gymnastics! :lol:
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 55358
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:48 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:30 pm

And you don’t find it ironic that the pressure (which has been there for going on 9 months now) juuuuuust now works its magic enough to get the three biggest proponents of total shutdown to do 180’s on their position within 48 hours of each other?

Just purely coincidental, huh? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:dunce: :dunce:
The pressure was there from the start. It likely prevented some governors from enacting harsher mandates. And did I miss something? Has Newsome opened everything back up completely or did he relax the stay at home order? Inslee has not really done much of anything yet other than realigning the map into regions that share health districts more and reclarifying the metrics for climbing out of each phase. Not sure on the rest. :coffee:
Yes. There from the start. And the ONLY reason they didn’t cave to that pressure six-eight months ago is because it would have healed the economy quicker and helped Trump. They sacrificed hundreds of thousands of businesses to defeat Trump and get millions of Americans dependent on the Government for their sustenance. Oh, with the “wink/wink” guarantee from the Dems that they’d get paid back through state bailouts if they helped out.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image
User avatar
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10497
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:41 am
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by SeattleGriz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:49 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:48 pm

The pressure was there from the start. It likely prevented some governors from enacting harsher mandates. And did I miss something? Has Newsome opened everything back up completely or did he relax the stay at home order? Inslee has not really done much of anything yet other than realigning the map into regions that share health districts more and reclarifying the metrics for climbing out of each phase. Not sure on the rest. :coffee:
Yes. There from the start. And the ONLY reason they didn’t cave to that pressure six-eight months ago is because it would have healed the economy quicker and helped Trump. They sacrificed hundreds of thousands of businesses to defeat Trump and get millions of Americans dependent on the Government for their sustenance. Oh, with the “wink/wink” guarantee from the Dems that they’d get paid back through state bailouts if they helped out.
Not to mention these openings are being done in the face of the new "super strains" that defy natural selection. :ohno:
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48432
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:49 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:48 pm

The pressure was there from the start. It likely prevented some governors from enacting harsher mandates. And did I miss something? Has Newsome opened everything back up completely or did he relax the stay at home order? Inslee has not really done much of anything yet other than realigning the map into regions that share health districts more and reclarifying the metrics for climbing out of each phase. Not sure on the rest. :coffee:
Yes. There from the start. And the ONLY reason they didn’t cave to that pressure six-eight months ago is because it would have healed the economy quicker and helped Trump. They sacrificed hundreds of thousands of businesses to defeat Trump and get millions of Americans dependent on the Government for their sustenance. Oh, with the “wink/wink” guarantee from the Dems that they’d get paid back through state bailouts if they helped out.
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10482
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:53 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:49 pm
Yes. There from the start. And the ONLY reason they didn’t cave to that pressure six-eight months ago is because it would have healed the economy quicker and helped Trump. They sacrificed hundreds of thousands of businesses to defeat Trump and get millions of Americans dependent on the Government for their sustenance. Oh, with the “wink/wink” guarantee from the Dems that they’d get paid back through state bailouts if they helped out.
Image
I thought AZ was talking about COVID restrictions. He didn't mention the Capitol riots being an insurrection and a threat to democracy. :D
User avatar
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10497
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:41 am
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:30 am
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:13 am

The postmortems and specific time frame studies will be fascinating and challenging considering all of the variables.

Date of first infection. A “last three months” comparison between locations has to take into account disease timeline, baseline numbers, initial mitigating restrictions. For example, one state’s surge was just starting prior to enhanced mandates and voluntary social distancing while another is half way through the surge. Also, the later the outbreak the more likely prevention and treatments were improved and implemented reducing hospitalizations and deaths.

Population density. Still seems to play a big roll in total cases.

Location. Proximity and travel between states with different restrictions/level of compliance, level of enforcement. EG Spokane County has tougher restrictions while neighboring N. Idaho has virtually none with a ton of commerce and travel between the two.

Demographics. Extended family driven cultures. Greater respect for the elderly (CID mentioned this regarding Asia), at risk elderly populations that voluntarily isolate regardless of state imposed restrictions.

If you look at the CDC tracker going back to last January, no state escapes it. Assuming blue states have stronger restrictions, Illinois and R.I. are the only solidly blue states in the top two groups of highest infection rates. CA, TX, and FL are all in the same range.

The economic outcome studies tied to lockdowns and cases (long term effects and costs will obviously take awhile to unravel and become clear as will the health effects caused by lockdowns).

At this point, no one has avoided the crisis and there’s no decisive evidence that the lockdown cure is worse than the affliction.

Bad leadership from both sides continues to haunt us. Hypocrisy and inconsistency of mandates. Lockdowns without consistent relief stimulus for effected business owners, landlords, and workers.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... sesper100k
Is there decisive evidence that the lockdown cure was better than the affliction?
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:25 am

You mean places that are slowly reducing restrictions based on declining trends? Not really. Also...in case you weren’t aware, there’s huge pressure coming from business groups, political groups, and the citizenry to “open back up.” Granted, Newsome and Cuomo have much to be criticized over and EVERY SINGLE governor has made mistakes and been open to criticism.
So is it "challenging considering all of the variables" to show trends in the virus or are the trends "declining"?

Are you really arguing that there is nothing suspicious about major Donk states/cities lifting restrictions nearly simultaneously after Biden takes office?

I want to see a line chart with cases and deaths over the past 3-6 months (not at a single point in time) by state. I want to compare Texas to California, etc. to see if there was a drop more significant than any previous drop to justify reducing restrictions. Or were those political leaders full of shit and politicizing the virus for the benefit of their political party (and to the detriment of the American people)?
Haven't had a chance to fully dive into this, but here's an effort to check restrictions vs deaths. Glad to see they put out their methodology as well.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-corona ... ions/73818
In order to determine the states with the fewest coronavirus restrictions, WalletHub compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia across 14 key metrics. Our data set ranges from whether restaurants are open to whether the state has required face masks in public and workplace temperature screenings. Read on for the state ranking, additional insight from a panel of experts and a full description of our methodology.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48432
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:57 am
kalm wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:53 am

Image
I thought AZ was talking about COVID restrictions. He didn't mention the Capitol riots being an insurrection and a threat to democracy. :D
Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, a first-term Georgia Republican, repeatedly endorsed executing top Democratic politicians on social media before she was elected to Congress, including telling a follower who asked if they could hang former President Barack Obama that the “stage is being set.”

A review of Ms. Greene’s social media accounts, first reported by CNN, found that she repeatedly liked posts on Facebook that discussed the prospect of violence against Democratic lawmakers and employees of the federal government. Ms. Greene liked a Facebook comment in January 2019 that said “a bullet to the head would be quicker” to remove Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and liked another about executing FBI agents.

After a Facebook follower asked Ms. Greene “Now do we get to hang them,” referring to Mr. Obama and Hillary Clinton, the former secretary of state and Democratic presidential nominee, Ms. Greene responded: “Stage is being set. Players are being put in place. We must be patient. This must be done perfectly or liberal judges would let them off.”

In a lengthy statement posted to Twitter on Tuesday before CNN published its report, Ms. Greene did not disavow the posts, but accused CNN of “coming after” her for political reasons and noted that several people had managed her social media accounts.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/27/us/m ... onlDojqeAg
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10482
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:19 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:57 am

I thought AZ was talking about COVID restrictions. He didn't mention the Capitol riots being an insurrection and a threat to democracy. :D
Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, a first-term Georgia Republican, repeatedly endorsed executing top Democratic politicians on social media before she was elected to Congress, including telling a follower who asked if they could hang former President Barack Obama that the “stage is being set.”

A review of Ms. Greene’s social media accounts, first reported by CNN, found that she repeatedly liked posts on Facebook that discussed the prospect of violence against Democratic lawmakers and employees of the federal government. Ms. Greene liked a Facebook comment in January 2019 that said “a bullet to the head would be quicker” to remove Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and liked another about executing FBI agents.

After a Facebook follower asked Ms. Greene “Now do we get to hang them,” referring to Mr. Obama and Hillary Clinton, the former secretary of state and Democratic presidential nominee, Ms. Greene responded: “Stage is being set. Players are being put in place. We must be patient. This must be done perfectly or liberal judges would let them off.”

In a lengthy statement posted to Twitter on Tuesday before CNN published its report, Ms. Greene did not disavow the posts, but accused CNN of “coming after” her for political reasons and noted that several people had managed her social media accounts.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/27/us/m ... onlDojqeAg
And? Are you trying to present Greene as proof that the end is nigh? She's a whackadoodle who should be drummed out of Congress. She's kind of like a right-wing version of some members of the Squat.

Qanon and people who espouse its BS are a threat to the future but no more so than "ideas" like AnTiFa. You fight bad ideas with better ideas not by restricting free speech or detoxing people you disagree with. Why do you hate freedom and democracy? :D
Post Reply