AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:35 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:59 pm

Yes. See the Dakotas. Both are well on the downside of their latest “surge” in both cases and deaths. Meanwhile Washington’s peak occurred almost 30 days later than the Dakotas’ did, and they appear to be right about the peak of their death curve. Florida (fairly populated, with a whole shitload of old people) appears to have leveled off its deaths and case count despite not locking down or destroying their economy again. California (some of the toughest lockdown regulations in the country) sees cases and deaths continue to skyrocket.

The graphs aren’t “still images”. They’re a historical record of how states have done compared to other states.

And what they continue to show us is this: LOCKDOWNS DON’T WORK.
(Forgets we’ve had similar discussions using Sweden, Florida, Texas...with each surge and decline)

Texas added 118,000 new cases this week. Florida 75K. Better than California but hardly on significant downhill slide. That will probably start happening at the end of February. The Dakotas are indeed a function of timing and as mentioned ad nauseam is one of numerous factors influencing case counts. Hence snap shots.

Lockdowns work...as do all preventative measures. Neither of us like the ancillary effects I just happen to value life, community, and functioning hospitals more than you. Also patience.
Patience? Just two weeks to flatten the curve, amirite??? :dunce:

I’m just proving your hypotheses wrong....you keep moving the goal posts. You mentioned the Dakotas. Wrong. You used Washington as a shining example. Wrong again. “Probably happening at the end of February?” Why might that be, one should ask....because it ain’t gonna be because of lockdowns and masks. It’s because VIRUS GONNA VIRUS. Meanwhile, the wealth transfer continues....congrats, Nazi. :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:00 pm

(Forgets we’ve had similar discussions using Sweden, Florida, Texas...with each surge and decline)

Texas added 118,000 new cases this week. Florida 75K. Better than California but hardly on significant downhill slide. That will probably start happening at the end of February. The Dakotas are indeed a function of timing and as mentioned ad nauseam is one of numerous factors influencing case counts. Hence snap shots.

Lockdowns work...as do all preventative measures. Neither of us like the ancillary effects I just happen to value life, community, and functioning hospitals more than you. Also patience.

I’m just proving your hypotheses wrong....you keep moving the goal posts. You mentioned the Dakotas. Wrong. You used Washington as a shining example. Wrong again. “Probably happening at the end of February?” Why might that be, one should ask....because it ain’t gonna be because of lockdowns and masks. It’s because VIRUS GONNA VIRUS. Meanwhile, the wealth transfer continues....congrats, Nazi. :coffee: :coffee:

:shock: kalm, you're a Nazi? I thought you were a Commie. This place gets confusing.

:mrgreen:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:48 pm

:shock: kalm, you're a Nazi? I thought you were a Commie. This place gets confusing.

He also thinks he’s a centrist, which he’s not....so yes, it IS confusing.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:56 pm

Nah, kalms alright, and more to the center than the majority of folks here. Maybe center left as opposed to center right though.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88

Post by UNI88 »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:46 pm
Nah, kalms alright, and more to the center than the majority of folks here. Maybe center left as opposed to center right though.
Kalm's alright and he started center-left but he's drifting leftward.

That doesn't bother me though because respectful debates about ideas strengthen and improve them.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ummm...I didn't set the goal posts. They were set by politicians, scientists, and public health administrators. They got some things wrong and some things right but the smart ones really haven't been surprised by the trajectory of the virus from the start. This is all well within the range of possibilities back in February-March. That's why I suggested February peak. That's based on recent history of the disease and others prior to it. In other words, numbers and science that have grown more predictive as we've move along.

But there's about as much consensus that masks and lockdowns work as there is on global warming. The only ones suggesting they don't are the contrarians, paid talking heads, grifters, and/or those like Alex Berenson who got it wrong from the start and chose to double down rather than own his mistake. Also helps that he was able to write a book about it. Herd immunity as you suggest is laughed at.

I didn't say Washington was a "shining example". I did use it as an example compared to neighboring Idaho. With a nation of 330 million people, separate state governments, weakened federal authority and capability, open borders, massive international travel etc all of which vary depending on location, you're bound to see some outliers and surprises. But again, the overall outcome so far is not surprising and will make more sense as we gain control and have had time to view all the post-mortems that come out.

Arguing the economic vs. lockdown is far more worthy a discussion than the state by state whack a mole game that you want to continue to play (see this thread before Thanksgiving and where you were wrong then at least regarding Texas IIRC).

BTW, the economic arguments for ending restrictions too soon are less strong now as more numbers come out. The long term economic effects and how they're dealt with from a stimulus standpoint to the pending healthcare debt crisis will be coming home to roost before we know it. That's why I started a new thread on it.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Well if I can move from commie to Nazi that quickly, I must be somewhere near the center. :rofl:
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Who determines the “who” the “how long” the “what” as in what makes this necessary???
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Saw my first "Vaccine is Bad" post on social media, by a conservative. I predict in a couple months or less, there will be a big deal on here, Conservatives say vaccine is bad, Liberals say follow the science. It's could be the mask shitshow all over again.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:46 pm

Ummm...I didn't set the goal posts. They were set by politicians, scientists, and public health administrators. They got some things wrong and some things right but the smart ones really haven't been surprised by the trajectory of the virus from the start. This is all well within the range of possibilities back in February-March. That's why I suggested February peak. That's based on recent history of the disease and others prior to it. In other words, numbers and science that have grown more predictive as we've move along.

But there's about as much consensus that masks and lockdowns work as there is on global warming. The only ones suggesting they don't are the contrarians, paid talking heads, grifters, and/or those like Alex Berenson who got it wrong from the start and chose to double down rather than own his mistake. Also helps that he was able to write a book about it. Herd immunity as you suggest is laughed at.

I didn't say Washington was a "shining example". I did use it as an example compared to neighboring Idaho. With a nation of 330 million people, separate state governments, weakened federal authority and capability, open borders, massive international travel etc all of which vary depending on location, you're bound to see some outliers and surprises. But again, the overall outcome so far is not surprising and will make more sense as we gain control and have had time to view all the post-mortems that come out.

Arguing the economic vs. lockdown is far more worthy a discussion than the state by state whack a mole game that you want to continue to play (see this thread before Thanksgiving and where you were wrong then at least regarding Texas IIRC).

BTW, the economic arguments for ending restrictions too soon are less strong now as more numbers come out. The long term economic effects and how they're dealt with from a stimulus standpoint to the pending healthcare debt crisis will be coming home to roost before we know it. That's why I started a new thread on it.
You changed them in two posts. :nod:

And no, I wasn’t wrong about Texas. You kept stating the #’s had “doubled”, when in fact they were up 47% at the time.
Last edited by AZGrizFan on Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:09 pm Saw my first "Vaccine is Bad" post on social media, by a conservative. I predict in a couple months or less, there will be a big deal on here, Conservatives say vaccine is bad, Liberals say follow the science. It's could be the mask shitshow all over again.
It already is. Today two people got the vaccine and died.

But it wasn’t the vaccine that killed them.

But if they’d showed up with COVID and died. COVID DEFINITELY would be the cause. :rofl: :rofl:
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:09 pm Saw my first "Vaccine is Bad" post on social media, by a conservative. I predict in a couple months or less, there will be a big deal on here, Conservatives say vaccine is bad, Liberals say follow the science. It's could be the mask shitshow all over again.
I saw it too.

Kamala Harris on COVID vaccine: Won’t take it if Trump tells me to

https://nypost.com/2020/10/07/kamala-ha ... lls-me-to/

Cuomo says he'll withhold vaccine from NY until he says it's safe
Governor Andrew Cuomo is threatening to withhold a COVID-19 vaccine from New York until his team of doctors deem it safe because he doesn't trust the FDA or CDC, raising serious questions about how and when it will eventually become available and who will be the arbiter of it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cuomo ... r-BB1ab1c0
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

All my posts are satire
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:25 pm

But if they’d showed up with COVID and died. COVID DEFINITELY would be the cause. :rofl: :rofl:
You have to show some credible links man. I did a google search and found nothing.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:31 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:25 pm

You have to show some credible links man. I did a google search and found nothing.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:24 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:46 pm

You changed them in two posts. :nod:

And no, I wasn’t wrong about Texas. You kept stating the #’s had “doubled”, when in fact they were up 47% at the time.
What do you mean by changing the goal posts? And yes, you were wrong about Texas.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

More “changing the goal posts” I suppose.

“Don’t trust the numbers, they’re over-counting! Trust the numbers, they confirm my bias and they’re going to down...just like the flu! Never mind the warnings on surges and holiday reporting! Lockdowns don’t work! I’m not scared it’s you who are scared!”
The United States reported at least 291,300 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, a single-day record but one that is inflated because of delays in reporting over the holidays.

Nineteen states reported no data on Friday, which was a public holiday for New Year’s Day. The remaining states reported a total of more than 147,000 new cases on Friday. The near doubling of cases on Saturday can mostly be explained by many states reporting cases for both Friday and Saturday, with one state, Michigan, reporting cases for Thursday as well. Other states will wait until Sunday or Monday to report cases from the past few days, which will continue to distort the totals.

Regular data reporting is expected to resume toward the end of next week.

The country’s previous single-day record, according to a New York Times database, was 280,514 new cases on Dec. 11, though that number was also inflated because of 43,000 cases that were added from a backlog in Texas. The highest number of new cases in a single day without any data anomalies was 251,191 on Dec. 18.

Regardless of holiday reporting delays, the United States has had the world’s worst outbreak for most of the pandemic and is experiencing a new surge in infections even as vaccine distribution begins. The deluge is particularly strong in Los Angeles County, the largest in the United States, where the seven-day average of new cases is at a peak of 16,193, about 12 times higher than the seven-day average from Nov. 1, which was 1,347.

And with fears that another wave of cases will crest after holiday travel and gatherings, the country reached yet another milestone on Saturday that was once unthinkable, surpassing 350,000 total deaths. At the same time, more than 123,000 Covid-19 patients were hospitalized, only a slight drop from the record level on Thursday.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/02 ... g-the-data
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:16 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:31 pm

This doesn't appear to be related to the vaccine.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:35 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:16 am

This doesn't appear to be related to the vaccine.
Yes. Well done. :rofl: :rofl:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Coronavirus

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:01 pm https://www.vox.com/2020/3/3/21162772/t ... e-covid-19
Trump’s ignorance was on public display during coronavirus meeting with pharmaceutical execs
The guy actually asked if the flu vaccine would work for an entirely different virus.

We really do have a complete idiot in the President's position.
You need better news sources. Rupar was shown to be the idiot here.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

The best Covid governor is doing a great job of rolling out the vaccine in NY. :roll:

New York’s slow-footed COVID-19 vaccine rollout has been a mismanaged mess, critics said Friday, with recent data showing that even Florida has doled out shots at a faster clip than the Empire State.

The harsh words come a day after The Post reported that New York State has injected less than a third of the vaccines it has — casting doubt on Mayor Bill de Blasio’s dream of jabbing a million city residents in January.

“It’s chaos out there. The state has no idea what it’s doing,” said Rensselaer County Executive Steve McLaughlin, particularly taking aim at the leadership of Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

“The Cuomo handling of the vaccine is blithering incompetence.”

https://nypost.com/2021/01/01/critics-p ... e-rollout/
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

All my posts are satire
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5

Post by Gil Dobie »

My sister got her shot in FL, friends in ND and MN got vaccinated too. All are hospital workers.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:59 pm You need better news sources. Rupar was shown to be the idiot here.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:33 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:59 pm You need better news sources. Rupar was shown to be the idiot here.
:thumb:
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

HI54UNI wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:26 pm The best Covid governor is doing a great job of rolling out the vaccine in NY. :roll:

New York’s slow-footed COVID-19 vaccine rollout has been a mismanaged mess, critics said Friday, with recent data showing that even Florida has doled out shots at a faster clip than the Empire State.

The harsh words come a day after The Post reported that New York State has injected less than a third of the vaccines it has — casting doubt on Mayor Bill de Blasio’s dream of jabbing a million city residents in January.

“It’s chaos out there. The state has no idea what it’s doing,” said Rensselaer County Executive Steve McLaughlin, particularly taking aim at the leadership of Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

State gubmints struggle to do something so simple as distribute a vaccine...

...but leftists want them making healthcare decisions from cradle to grave. :dunce:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:54 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:26 pm The best Covid governor is doing a great job of rolling out the vaccine in NY. :roll:

State gubmints struggle to do something so simple as distribute a vaccine...

...but leftists want them making healthcare decisions from cradle to grave. :dunce:
Think of the progressive benefits of getting people to the grave faster:
  1. Reduced medical expenses = more money for Medicare for All.
  2. People collect less of their social security benefits making the program more solvent.
  3. People spending less of their personal retirement funds = increased estate tax collections help to fund the progressive wish list.
  4. Old people tend to be conservative and the damn Baby Boomers are the ones who bankrupted the government for their own benefit. Fvck them, society is better off without them. :shock:
It's win/win/win/win.

Kalm, Jelly, Houndy, Jon, JSO did I miss any? :coffee: