Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:23 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:22 am

Was it like the flu? Asking for a friend.
I've never had the flu so I don't know. It was like a really bad, respiratory infection.
A friend of the family had covid. Said it's worse than the flu.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:15 pm
89Hen wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:02 pm

:suspicious: Are they? 11 was a record, but a month ago they had 9 and 10 in one day.
23 today
3 and 4 last couple days. Spike over?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Had my annual check up today. Covid discussion with DR. Said that so far, only dexamethasone has reduced mortality of Covid. It's cheap, no money to be made by the big Pharma companies, so there will be no studies or test groups. He said Remdesivir does not reduce mortality, it just reduces the length of a hospital stay. Remdesivir is approved and is big money for Gilead.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Montana has 3000 less active cases than Minnesota, even though Minnesota has over 2 million more test.

Lets see what the next few weeks reveal.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:45 pm Montana has 3000 less active cases than Minnesota, even though Minnesota has over 2 million more test.

Lets see what the next few weeks reveal.
A similar eye popper, France’s new daily record set yesterday would equal 210,000 new cases in the US if adjusted per capita.

They’re locking back down with curfews again.

Meanwhile in North Idaho, the Panhandle Health District voted to end mask mandates...while Kootenai County Medical Center has no beds remaining and cases have reached 1 in 30 levels in parts of Southern Idaho.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:41 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:16 am Trending in the wrong direction again for many states. You can lump Montucky and Idablo in with the Midwest. Texas is back over 4,000/day. And yes, this includes hospitalizations and deaths...

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/ ... YETkRDh-rE
Texas’ 7-day moving average for cases is at 3852, down from 4246 on 9/15 and 10,766 on 7/15.

Texas 7-day moving average for deaths is at 82, down from 110 on 9/16 and 276 on 8/4.

Go peddle that Fear monger shit somewhere else.
This didn’t age well. How are those other states your company does business in? Texas has about doubled its new case count since this discussion.

Good thing Covid has run its course with old folks and the compromised. We shouldn’t see any rise in hospitalizations or deaths, right?

Open back up!
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:56 am

Texas’ 7-day moving average for cases is at 3852, down from 4246 on 9/15 and 10,766 on 7/15.

Texas 7-day moving average for deaths is at 82, down from 110 on 9/16 and 276 on 8/4.

This didn’t age well. How are those other states your company does business in? Texas has about doubled its new case count since this discussion.

Good thing Covid has run its course with old folks and the compromised. We shouldn’t see any rise in hospitalizations or deaths, right?

Open back up!
The death rate IS dropping according to the CDC website, but positives did uptick from 5.9 to around 6.3%.

I'm not sure how long the lag is in reporting.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:01 am

Open back up!
The death rate IS dropping according to the CDC website, but positives did uptick from 5.9 to around 6.3%.

What’s the testing rate?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:22 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:01 am

What’s the testing rate?
Uh, testing rate is a moot point, but eyeballing the graph shows around 2.3 million for the last recorded week.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:32 am
kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:22 am

What’s the testing rate?
Uh, testing rate is a moot point, but eyeballing the graph shows around 2.3 million for the last recorded week.
Why is testing a moot point?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:44 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:32 am

I should have been more precise. Testing by itself is a moot point in regards to being a useful disease state metric.

Because it doesn't tell you anything other than someone has had a test performed on them. You can only compare it to how many or less have been performed.

Percentage positive, especially with the testing as prevalent as it is, gives you a good snapshot of how many Americans are positive or negative. From that, you can then track the infection rate.

An analogy would be like my son telling me that he took a Geometry test and not knowing his grade. That's awesome he took the test, but the point is the grade.

That's why testing with PCR needs to be retooled. False positives will obviously artificially inflate the infection rate.

At this point, I'm simply paying attention to deaths.

By the way, King county only had close to one death last week.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:28 am
kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:44 am

I should have been more precise. Testing by itself is a moot point in regards to being a useful disease state metric.

Because it doesn't tell you anything other than someone has had a test performed on them. You can only compare it to how many or less have been performed.

Percentage positive, especially with the testing as prevalent as it is, gives you a good snapshot of how many Americans are positive or negative. From that, you can then track the infection rate.

An analogy would be like my son telling me that he took a Geometry test and not knowing his grade. That's awesome he took the test, but the point is the grade.

That's why testing with PCR needs to be retooled. False positives will obviously artificially inflate the infection rate.

My point was the death rate is indeed low but also tied to testing. EG: Mexico’s death rate is 10%. High due to testing. Regardless, hospitalizations have increased 40% over the last month, and we’re still losing 1,000 per day with precautions. What follows hospitalization increases?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:51 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:28 am

My point was the death rate is indeed low but also tied to testing. EG: Mexico’s death rate is 10%. High due to testing. Regardless, hospitalizations have increased 40% over the last month, and we’re still losing 1,000 per day with precautions. What follows hospitalization increases?
I know you're trying to make a point in regards to testing, but I'm just not catching what you are saying.

Agreed an increase in hospitalizations is not a good thing. Personally, I think it's due to quarantine fatigue. People aren't being as careful because they've simply had enough.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:23 am
kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:51 am

I know you're trying to make a point in regards to testing, but I'm just not catching what you are saying.

Agreed an increase in hospitalizations is not a good thing. Personally, I think it's due to quarantine fatigue. People aren't being as careful because they've simply had enough.
Yes they are which is ignorant dangerous.

Like I said back in the spring, this virus makes its hay off of killing just the right amount of people for it to be downplayed by too many.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:31 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:23 am

Like I said back in the spring, this virus makes its hay off of killing just the right amount of people for it to be downplayed by too many.
Well, it's their choice. Said it before, nobody gave two shits about my wife during the last pandemic. We protected ourselves.

I stayed away from anyone who looked sick and simply didn't touch my face with dirty hands. No mask. 63 million infected. No one in my family contracted the virus. I was even calling on doctor's offices for my job.

Making people care can't be forced on them. People who are at risk need to take care of themselves.
TheDancinMonarch
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Old Dominion

Post by TheDancinMonarch »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:11 am
kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:31 am

Well, it's their choice. Said it before, nobody gave two shits about my wife during the last pandemic. We protected ourselves.

I stayed away from anyone who looked sick and simply didn't touch my face with dirty hands. No mask. 63 million infected. No one in my family contracted the virus. I was even calling on doctor's offices for my job.

Making people care can't be forced on them. People who are at risk need to take care of themselves.
Individual responsibility is a foreign concept to those on the left.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

TheDancinMonarch wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:20 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:11 am

As are compassion, other people’s freedoms, and civic responsibility to the right?
TheDancinMonarch
Supporter
Supporter

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:32 am
TheDancinMonarch wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:20 am

As are compassion, other people’s freedoms, and civic responsibility to the right?
Individual responsibility is a foreign concept to those on the left. I am compassionate for those who deserve it. As a libertarian I don't care how people abuse themselves. Civic responsibility is just the liberal way of saying " do it our way or else". Much like the Dermocrat use of the words " our Democracy".
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

TheDancinMonarch wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:55 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:32 am

Individual responsibility is a foreign concept to those on the left. I am compassionate for those who deserve it. As a libertarian I don't care how people abuse themselves. Civic responsibility is just the liberal way of saying " do it our way or else". Much like the Dermocrat use of the words " our Democracy".
You obviously don’t know enough or the right people on the left.

Wearing a mask and social distancing are civic duties. If everyone was responsible towards others we wouldn’t need forced lockdowns.

I’m sorry you have such a myopic view of the world.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Open back up!
Wasn’t Utah one of those states you cited? Remember, it’s just the flu and new cases don’t matter. Open up everything!
“That’s the prediction of Greg Bell, president of the Utah Hospital Association, who said administrators of the state’s hospitals confronted Gov. Gary Herbert on Thursday with a grim list: Criteria they propose doctors should use if they are forced to decide which patients can stay in overcrowded intensive care units.

Under the criteria, which would require Herbert’s approval, patients who are getting worse despite receiving intensive care would be moved out first. In the event that two patients' conditions are equal, the young get priority over the old, since older patients are more likely to die.

‘We told him, ‘It looks like we’re going to have to request those be activated if this trend continues,’" Bell recounted, “'and we see no reason why it won’t.'"
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/10/25/ ... PuT6iSBl0k
TheDancinMonarch
Supporter
Supporter

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:17 pm
TheDancinMonarch wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:55 pm

Wearing a mask and social distancing are civic duties. If everyone was responsible towards others we wouldn’t need forced lockdowns.

I know too many people on the left. Sad for them.

I don't believe mentioning masks but I would social distance myself from you. Thank God we are thousands of miles apart.

You can add whatever things you want into the discussion but I only take responsibility for what I say and not for what you think about what I say.

Have a nice day. You are dismissed!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

TheDancinMonarch wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:08 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:17 pm

I know too many people on the left. Sad for them.

I don't believe mentioning masks but I would social distance myself from you. Thank God we are thousands of miles apart.

You can add whatever things you want into the discussion but I only take responsibility for what I say and not for what you think about what I say.

Have a nice day. You are dismissed!
Dems and Reps have made this political. No one believes the other one on anything, while the elderly in nursing homes continue to perish.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Open back up!
So, let’s stick to facts, shall we? Texas’s 7-day moving average for cases has gone from 3852 on 10/10 to 5501 on 10/25. Maybe in golf that’s “doubled”, but in ACTUAL math, that’s a 42% increase.....

Texas’s 7 day moving average for deaths has gone from 82 on 10/10 to 70 on 10/25. which is a 17% DECREASE, and has been on a steady downward trend since August 4th.

Utah’s 7 day moving average for cases is up, sure, but 7-day deaths is exactly where it was on August 4th, at 6.

Colorado’s case count has tripled over previous highs. But guess where it’s death count is? That’s right, EXACTLY where it was on August 6th (it “peaked” on Oct 14 at 11).

Again, looking at raw case counts without adjusting for testing level is just plain old fear-mongering at its finest.

so yes, I’d say COVID that we should be scared of HAS run its course.

P.s.: And the point of flattening the curve wasn’t to prevent ANY hospitalizations, it was to prevent hospitals from being overrun. Which we’ve done. So pissing and moaning about hospitals running at 90-95% capacity is, again, fear mongering at it’s basest level. Empty beds don’t pay the bills. Hospitals LOVE to run at 90+% capacity. They aren’t made for charity.
Last edited by AZGrizFan on Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:21 pm

Open back up!
Wasn’t Utah one of those states you cited? Remember, it’s just the flu and new cases don’t matter. Open up everything!
“That’s the prediction of Greg Bell, president of the Utah Hospital Association, who said administrators of the state’s hospitals confronted Gov. Gary Herbert on Thursday with a grim list: Criteria they propose doctors should use if they are forced to decide which patients can stay in overcrowded intensive care units.

Under the criteria, which would require Herbert’s approval, patients who are getting worse despite receiving intensive care would be moved out first. In the event that two patients' conditions are equal, the young get priority over the old, since older patients are more likely to die.

‘We told him, ‘It looks like we’re going to have to request those be activated if this trend continues,’" Bell recounted, “'and we see no reason why it won’t.'"
No offense, but posting random comments about who hospitals would prioritize who dies and who lives due to lack of space and/or ability to treat the patients is quintessential fear mongering. Have we, at any point in America during this pandemic, even in the initial month in NYC when doctors didn't know how to treat this and had trouble even containing it, ever been down to the point where two sick people were separated into the "selected to live" and the "selected to die" lines? There are and always will be contingency plans like this - everyday triage has this as a step somewhere down the line. But to conflate the idea that triage could eventually make those decisions with what's happening on the ground right now, or even in the near future, is almost the textbook definition of fear mongering. This should be beneath you, kalm.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:21 am
kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:21 pm

No offense, but posting random comments about who hospitals would prioritize who dies and who lives due to lack of space and/or ability to treat the patients is quintessential fear mongering. Have we, at any point in America during this pandemic, even in the initial month in NYC when doctors didn't know how to treat this and had trouble even containing it, ever been down to the point where two sick people were separated into the "selected to live" and the "selected to die" lines? There are and always will be contingency plans like this - everyday triage has this as a step somewhere down the line. But to conflate the idea that triage could eventually make those decisions with what's happening on the ground right now, or even in the near future, is almost the textbook definition of fear mongering. This should be beneath you, kalm.
No offense taken. I could post another “random” article on an El Paso judge issuing A nighttime curfew and also halting high school athletics if you’d like. Similar articles are coming out of Wisconsin, the Dakotas, Idaho, France, Italy, Spain...

Your experience and company’s precautions are an example of what might happen if EVERYONE took the information and forecasting by experts (dirty word these days) seriously enough. Too many people do not and you end up with continuous new spikes, hospitalizations, and deaths.

Again, simply compare deaths as an example.. US vs Germany or heck, Germany vs. Texas.

I want to know if health districts are bracing for some real shit beyond their normal non-Covid planning. Reality vs. fear mongering. Sorry I’m not above reality. Thankful that at least some health administrators, judges, and political leaders are not as well.

More lockdowns are coming, worldwide, due to real threats. Like it or not.