A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:24 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:17 pm
Yep.
Worst Virus outbreaks in the US in the past century+

1918-1919 Spanish Flu (unknown origin)
CDC estimated killed 675,000 Americans out of a population 103 million, equivalent to about 2.2 million Americans out of today’s population of 329 million.

1957-1958 Asian Flu (came from China)
CDC estimated killed 116,000 Americans out of a population 175 million, equivalent to about 160,000 out of today’s population of 329 million.

1968-1970 Hong Kong Flu (came from China).
CDC estimate killed about 100 Americans out of a population of 200 million, equivalent to about 165,000 out of today’s population of 329 million.

2020 Chinese Virus
CDC estimates 73k+ so far.

https://weather.com/health/cold-flu/new ... nt-history
https://www.multpl.com/united-states-po ... le/by-year

For both the Asian Flu and the Hong Kong Flu, which both killed over 100k, equivalent to around 160-165k in today’s population, there were no mass shutdowns and stay at homes..
No mitigation could be why so many died, and this one isn't over yet. Might pass all but the Spannish Flu.
My math was wrong on the Asian Flu. 116k Americans out of about 175 million is equivalent to about 218,000 today.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

AZGrizFan wrote:I think it’s the beginning of the end for the corrupt, money-grubbing college experience as it’s currently designed. And honestly, good riddance.
Exactly, I hope a couple hundred schools go out of business because of this. Even better the overpaid professors will be unemployed.

Another positive of COVID 19

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Interesting perspective for college football fans.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:41 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:I think it’s the beginning of the end for the corrupt, money-grubbing college experience as it’s currently designed. And honestly, good riddance.
Exactly, I hope a couple hundred schools go out of business because of this. Even better the overpaid professors will be unemployed.

Public schools aren't businesses; they're services. They can be deep in the red as long as taxpayers are fine footing the bill.

But I agree with others that they need to rein in costs. However I don't think it should be a the expense of academics, nor at the total cost of athletics (instead we can tighten the belt and return to more regional, sensible conferences). My primary issue is the facilities arm race that's being fought, trying to "wow" prospective students and their parents. Universities need to stop focusing on being some "experience" and get back to focused learning; young people will always create their own experiences and memories given whatever the have.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:41 pm Exactly, I hope a couple hundred schools go out of business because of this. Even better the overpaid professors will be unemployed.

Public schools aren't businesses; they're services. They can be deep in the red as long as taxpayers are fine footing the bill.

But I agree with others that they need to rein in costs. However I don't think it should be a the expense of academics, nor at the total cost of athletics (instead we can tighten the belt and return to more regional, sensible conferences). My primary issue is the facilities arm race that's being fought, trying to "wow" prospective students and their parents. Universities need to stop focusing on being some "experience" and get back to focused learning; young people will always create their own experiences and memories given whatever the have.
I think they just need to get back to the basics.

Colleges today are looking for niches because they cannot compete with the big state universities or the established academic powerhouses.

So we have a myriad of schools like Evergreen, catering to parents who want their kids to be steeped in social justice, and Oral Roberts, where they want their kids to pretend they are chaste while fucking everything in sight including the garden hose (and majoring in gender studies or creationism)

As far as I am concerned, if any college or university doesn’t have at least 50% of its course catalogue dedicated to STEM, then it is no loss if it folds
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:52 am
∞∞∞ wrote:

Colleges today are looking for niches because they cannot compete with the big state universities or the established academic powerhouses.

So we have a myriad of schools like Evergreen, catering to parents who want their kids to be steeped in social justice, and Oral Roberts, where they want their kids to pretend they are chaste while fucking everything in sight including the garden hose (and majoring in gender studies or creationism)

As far as I am concerned, if any college or university doesn’t have at least 50% of its course catalogue dedicated to STEM, then it is no loss if it folds
The Citadel will be starting back in the fall.

Currently, any new USMC recruit goes to El CId for a 2-wk quarantine.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Russia and Brazil are a couple countries to keep an eye on. Russia is now #3 in cases and Brazil #7.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:

Agreed - there are some really crappy, supposedly "not for profit" brick and mortar colleges that should not be in the business of passing out diplomas.

Forbes does a nice job ranking the financial viability of these schools. They said there are 933 not for profit colleges with enrollments greater than 500 students. Ones they gave a D- too in the fall of 2019 (so even before COVID hit) was 177 schools (that's 19% of all schools). The C's and D's, which made up a whopping 72% of the schools, were what they called "tuition dependent", meaning that they pretty much operate at the razor's edge and are either just squeaking by or are losing money every year.

It's a pretty good read. I'm posting the link of the rankings but there's a link in there as well for their methodology.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/schifrin/2 ... ee5b06770d
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:52 am I think they just need to get back to the basics.

The Citadel will be starting back in the fall.

Currently, any new USMC recruit goes to El CId for a 2-wk quarantine.
The Citadel, BTW, meets the criteria for staying afloat

We even added a school of nursing
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:39 am

Agreed - there are some really crappy, supposedly "not for profit" brick and mortar colleges that should not be in the business of passing out diplomas.

Forbes does a nice job ranking the financial viability of these schools. They said there are 933 not for profit colleges with enrollments greater than 500 students. Ones they gave a D- too in the fall of 2019 (so even before COVID hit) was 177 schools (that's 19% of all schools). The C's and D's, which made up a whopping 72% of the schools, were what they called "tuition dependent", meaning that they pretty much operate at the razor's edge and are either just squeaking by or are losing money every year.

It's a pretty good read. I'm posting the link of the rankings but there's a link in there as well for their methodology.

There was a guy in my law school class who went to MacMurray College in IL, a small liberal arts school that just closed its doors. Our own Wesley College could go under at any minute. Antioch College, a hippie school in Ohio, will likely close down for a second time. Too many colleges competing for too few students.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:52 am I think they just need to get back to the basics.

I looked at the list -

“Not for profit” is code for “private”

Forbes should rank state supported schools in there too ... because many good schools that are supposedly state supported are actually not.

The Citadel is somewhere around 7-9 % state subsidized now. That is dismal. Put The Citadel on that list and we come in at a C at best.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:03 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:58 pm

This post was in jest, right? Please say it was in jest.
Know I was being super cereal.
:ohno: :ohno: :ugeek:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:17 am
GannonFan wrote:

I looked at the list -

Forbes should rank state supported schools in there too ... because many good schools that are supposedly state supported are actually not.

The Citadel is somewhere around 7-9 % state subsidized now. That is dismal. Put The Citadel on that list and we come in at a C at best.
Sorry, I didn't make it clear that the list is just private schools - the link clearly says it but I didn't make that clear. My bad.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:17 am I looked at the list -

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that the list is just private schools - the link clearly says it but I didn't make that clear. My bad.
That is exactly why I didn't read the link......

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:39 am Russia and Brazil are a couple countries to keep an eye on. Russia is now #3 in cases and Brazil #7.
Lol if anyone believes that Russia and Brazil have more cases than China..
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:10 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:39 am Russia and Brazil are a couple countries to keep an eye on. Russia is now #3 in cases and Brazil #7.
How do you know?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Also remember the 80k cases are probably half of that in real life if people are being honest. (they most certainly are not)

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote:

Agree. I don't see the value in going to college unless its STEM and maybe business and accounting (but maybe those fall under the "M" in STEM). The funny thing about the idea of big public universities tightening their belt means a lot of the SJW and arts and letters types of degrees would get the most scrutiny.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Didn't Russian doctors have an issue with "falling" out of windows regarding the Chinese Flu?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SDHornet wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:28 am
Didn't Russian doctors have an issue with "falling" out of windows regarding the Chinese Flu?
Only three of them. Authorities determined that their big mouths were throwing them off balance and causing them to crash through large panes of glass.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Yes, very clumsy over there.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Some Chinese docs had an issue with “disappearing” regarding the Chinese Flu. And 1.4+ billion to about 145 million (I thought Russia’s population was bigger than that...)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Woman suffers a terrible death to the Chinese Virus...
https://www.foxnews.com/us/illinois-wom ... ch-bulldog
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Let this sink in for a moment...CNN is going to have a Corona virus townhall, and one of their four experts is...

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.