Political discussions
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

China

Post by CID1990 »

I thought about putting this in the miscellaneous thread, but China really does deserve its own thread - especially now. The alarm bells are ringing as China is moving to capitalize with US investment dollars.

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/roger-w- ... ing-china/

Adding to the dumpster fire that is coming, if you invest in the TSP you will now be invested in Chinese securities. Supporting measures to check China's global ambitions will literally be against your own personal financial interests-

https://thefederalist.com/2019/11/19/am ... ese-gulag/

There's a link to the first article in the Federalist article. We are literally in a moment when a militarily weak petro state (with nukes... the only thing making them relevant) is captivating all our political attention. All we need now is for some Presidential candidate to tell us that the 1980s called when another politician sounds the alarm on China.

This is NOT a benevolent regime by any stretch of the imagination - and within the next 3 years we may see every American invested in Chinese companies to the tune of as much as 20% of total portfolios. This is probably a lot like climate change at this point... we are going to suffer the full effects of inaction, whatever those effects may be.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: China

Post by Ibanez »

This sounds difficult to believe, but it is an empirical fact: the majority of American investors are unwittingly funding Chinese concentration camps, weapons systems for the People’s Liberation Army (PLA), and more. This is because the U.S. has no security-minded screening mechanism for our capital markets, which have roughly $35 trillion under management.
Jesus. Adding to injury to insult - this is self-inflicted. :ohno:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:I thought about putting this in the miscellaneous thread, but China really does deserve its own thread - especially now. The alarm bells are ringing as China is moving to capitalize with US investment dollars.

Adding to the dumpster fire that is coming, if you invest in the TSP you will now be invested in Chinese securities. Supporting measures to check China's global ambitions will literally be against your own personal financial interests-

There's a link to the first article in the Federalist article. We are literally in a moment when a militarily weak petro state (with nukes... the only thing making them relevant) is captivating all our political attention. All we need now is for some Presidential candidate to tell us that the 1980s called when another politician sounds the alarm on China.

This is NOT a benevolent regime by any stretch of the imagination - and within the next 3 years we may see every American invested in Chinese companies to the tune of as much as 20% of total portfolios. This is probably a lot like climate change at this point... we are going to suffer the full effects of inaction, whatever those effects may be.

Been telling you guys to get out of the market and buy land for ten fucking years now. It won't be long before the port of Cairo, IL, becomes the main loading point for China-bound agriculture. After the new canal goes through you'll be able to walk to China across their freighters.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

We have no Red Chinese securities in our portfolio, even in the international funds. Beyond the geopolitical issues cited in the articles, you can’t ever trust Chinese numbers. Jack Ma is as big a fraud as Elon Musk.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

houndawg wrote:
CID1990 wrote:I thought about putting this in the miscellaneous thread, but China really does deserve its own thread - especially now. The alarm bells are ringing as China is moving to capitalize with US investment dollars.

Been telling you guys to get out of the market and buy land for ten fucking years now. It won't be long before the port of Cairo, IL, becomes the main loading point for China-bound agriculture. After the new canal goes through you'll be able to walk to China across their freighters.
If electric vehicles truly become a thing land values are going to drop because ethanol sales with crash and corn and land prices will crash with them.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

HI54UNI wrote:
houndawg wrote:

If electric vehicles truly become a thing land values are going to drop because ethanol sales with crash and corn and land prices will crash with them.
There are a lot of Chinese to feed, we won't miss the ethanol.

In the future wealth will be measured by space more than by cash
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

houndawg wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:

Do you want to know something scary that shouldn’t come as a shock?

Foreign companies operating in China go through a lengthy process to approve the use of certain technology that will be used in the Country. That’s not abnormal really. But the security requirements for that tech can only be so strong i.e. intentionally weak. I’m going through this now with one time password tokens. Our algorithms, by law, have to be weaker than we’d like. Who do you think that benefits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
houndawg wrote:

Foreign companies operating in China go through a lengthy process to approve the use of certain technology that will be used in the Country. That’s not abnormal really. But the security requirements for that tech can only be so strong i.e. intentionally weak. I’m going through this now with one time password tokens. Our algorithms, by law, have to be weaker than we’d like. Who do you think that benefits?

That’s so they can mop up what little bit we don’t already willingly give them.

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
houndawg wrote:

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

Boy you can say that again.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

Heart and other organ replacement is very fast for Chinese. They kill the prisoners in western concentration camps and harvest the organs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Trump decided to sign a feelgood pro-Hong Kong democracy bill that passed the Senate by unanimous consent and by a 417-1 roll call vote in the House. It allows sanctions for human rights violations by Chinese and HK officials. The only “no” vote was cast by Thomas Massie of Kentucky, a libertarian-leaning Republican. His dissent makes sense from a non-interventionist libertarian perspective. Of course , the Red Chinese are pissed.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:Trump decided to sign a feelgood pro-Hong Kong democracy bill that passed the Senate by unanimous consent and by a 417-1 roll call vote in the House. It allows sanctions for human rights violations by Chinese and HK officials. The only “no” vote was cast by Thomas Massie of Kentucky, a libertarian-leaning Republican. His dissent makes sense from a non-interventionist libertarian perspective. Of course , the Red Chinese are pissed.
Imagine that - any guesses why it managed to work its way through the House so quickly while actual business takes backseat to the impeachment circus?

It was actually a political master stroke by Pelosi (because everything is political)

It put Trump in a lose-lose situation. He’s trying to work a trade deal with the ChiComs. If he doesn’t sign to try to help the deal, he sides with Chinese authoritarians. If he does sign, he risks stiffening Chinese resistance to a trade deal.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:

And water.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Trump decided to sign a feelgood pro-Hong Kong democracy bill that passed the Senate by unanimous consent and by a 417-1 roll call vote in the House. It allows sanctions for human rights violations by Chinese and HK officials. The only “no” vote was cast by Thomas Massie of Kentucky, a libertarian-leaning Republican. His dissent makes sense from a non-interventionist libertarian perspective. Of course , the Red Chinese are pissed.
Imagine that - any guesses why it managed to work its way through the House so quickly while actual business takes backseat to the impeachment circus?

It was actually a political master stroke by Pelosi (because everything is political)

It put Trump in a lose-lose situation. He’s trying to work a trade deal with the ChiComs. If he doesn’t sign to try to help the deal, he sides with Chinese authoritarians. If he does sign, he risks stiffening Chinese resistance to a trade deal.
And of course “Little Marco” made sure the bill shot through the Senate.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Ivytalk wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

And of course “Little Marco” made sure the bill shot through the Senate.
he looks like Tattoo from Fantasy Island